Cars And Related Things

Go to CruxDreams.com

thehangingtree

Proconsul
Staff member
This thread is for car and race talk and yes, Barb and Siss, feel free to wreck anything mentioned.

Have any of our 'down under' friends been to the Mount Panorama Circuit where the Bathurst Supercar V8s race?

In the US they could never get insurance to run this course. I love the Wikipedia map that points 'north' as down!!!

a  aa.png

Did you see all those crucified girls on the the side of the track?

Post time?????

:doh:

:eek:

;)

This thread is for car and race talk and yes, Barb and Siss, feel free to wreck anything mentioned.

Have any of our 'down under' friends been to the Mount Panorama Circuit where the Bathurst Supercar V8s race?

In the US they could never get insurance to run this course. I love the Wikipedia map that points 'north' as down!!!

View attachment 457277
The Mt Panorama course is a public road so anyone can drive a lap whenever the course isn't closed. Though the speed limit is 60 kph - and is rigidly policed - even that feels bloody fast across the top of the mountain where the road is quite narrow between massive concrete barriers. Even worse coming down through 'The Dipper' where, in racing, the left front wheel can have clear air underneath even at modest speeds.

Pp has done timed sections with the road closed on weekends hosted by the Bathurst Light Car Club where you only need a basic CAMS licence issued by your own affiliated car club. They usually only run these as climbs up the mountain or down Conrod Straight - never across the top.

Here is a lap in a bog standard V8 engined road car. John Bowe is a former Bathurst winner and drives the proper race line. The speedo is in kph. The girl in the back seat is blind and must be damned brave.

Will look for a good hot lap under race conditions.

The Bathurst 12 Hour - an endurance race for sports cars - is on next weekend.

Last edited:
One of Pp's all-time favourites. A Ford Falcon GTHO in a veteran's race in about 2009 with Mt Panorama filled with the models that raced there in the 1960s and early 70s.

The GTHO was the fastest road-registerable car available in Australia in the 1970s.

Don't believe the note that says 'no music' ...... turn the sound right up :devil:.

This car would be probably be powered by a 351 cubic inch V8 and the driver has balls of steel.

Last edited:

Did you see all those crucified girls on the the side of the track?

Post time?????

:doh:

:eek:

;)
That's a damn good representation of the track Siss. But, no, Pp was working out the race line with those off-camber corners and was too busy to spot the cruxettes :p

A Packard Super 8 is for sale in Yorkshire, £80,000, with rumble seat, in ivory yellow. The ad says only eleven made, hence high price, can that be?

1938packcppsidefrontcarport.jpg

Proper bumpers (fenders) to tie limbs to, and a wicked looking mascot on the front of the bonnet (hood) with plenty of potential.

A Packard Super 8 is for sale in Yorkshire, £80,000, with rumble seat, in ivory yellow. The ad says only eleven made, hence high price, can that be?

View attachment 457862

Proper bumpers (fenders) to tie limbs to, and a wicked looking mascot on the front of the bonnet (hood) with plenty of potential.
Low resolution ... I can't make out what the mascot looks like :confused:

When I was in grad school in the 1970s, I drove this for a while, an old Saab 96View attachment 457870

Had the shift on the steering column. I think 4 speed but could have been 5. Spent more time in the shop than on the road.

Love that grill ... along with the headlights gives the front end a "face-like" quality, but not sure how to characterize the facial experssion.

My uni car was a Ford Anglia 105E anglia.jpg It could carry at least six passengers. The mearest hint of dampness in the air (remember the English climate) and it refused to start. The experience of engine-oil in skinned knuckles lives with me to this day.

Back
Top Bottom