Cars And Related Things

Go to CruxDreams.com
A a frenchman amateur of sports cars, I love "les 24 heures du Mans", of course, but le Mans circuit in itself has never been on a pair with others great historical circuits like the old Spa, Nürburgring or Charade. And I agree with Thehangingtree, the 3 chicanes in the Hunaudières straight (and not Mulsanne, dear Thehangingtree, Mulsanne is the name of the slow curve at the end of the straight) have denatured it. But this I can understand, safety for the drivers, officials and spectators must be top priority.
While driver safety has been important at Bathurst and they have introduced some run off areas and better barriers fortunately there have only been a few changes to the Mt Panorama circuit over the years.

The first was to surface the track with tarmac which lost the dirt track style racing everyone loved pre-war.

The second was to replace all the armco and railroad sleeper fences with much safer crash-absorbing barriers largely after Bill Brown rolled his Phase 3 GTHO after a tyre blew at McPhillamy at 160kph in 1971.
Even he struggles to understand how he survived that one with the car almost sliced in half.

The third change - and the only real change to the track layout - was the introduction of The Chase into Conrod Straight in 1987. Before that cars came down Conrod - a mile downhill with two humps - at close to 300 kph but they introduced the kink - The Chase - after something like 5 high-speed crash deaths (though F1 champ Denny Hulme actually died of a heart attack) with cars airborne over the second hump. That slowed things for a while but The Chase is now one of the fastest corners on any circuit as modern V8 Supercars come into The Chase at close to 290 kph.

Mt Panorama isn't the IOM on a motorcycle but it is the closest in a tin top.....at least in Pp's opinion.

And I agree with Thehangingtree, the 3 chicanes in the Hunaudières straight
But this I can understand, safety for the drivers, officials and spectators must be top priority.

I dont agree, not denatured ! And the cars are yet reaching 340 km / hour between these chicanes !

For me, I like Spa or Nürbugring, but my preferate is always Le Mans ! Perhaps because I live not far ( Angers-Le Mans =110kms )

This is the most beautiful car ever built - the Ferrari 512S Modulo, which looks like something out of the latest sci-fi movie, but in fact was designed in the late 60's and displayed for the first time at the 1970 Geneva Motor Show (that's right folks, it's nearly 50 years old, yet more modern-looking than anything else on the road)

Sadly it remained a one-off prototype, but it shows what can be achieved when top-flight engineering meets high-end design aesthetics.
280px-Ferrari_Modulo_front-right_Museo_Ferrari.jpg modulo.jpg img04.jpg modulo2.jpg ferrari_512_s_modulo_concept_21.jpg ferrari-modulo-1970-6.jpg james-glickenhaus-left-and-the-ferrari-modulo-concept_100482585_l.jpg copertina7.jpg 1970_pininfarina_ferrari_512s_modulo_schlegelmilch_03.jpg 1970_Pininfarina_Ferrari_512S_Modulo_Concept_Interior_02.jpg

I want one...

This is the most beautiful car ever built - the Ferrari 512S Modulo
Hmmmmm....yes......but, in Pp's humble opinion, nothing, but nothing will ever match the beautiful lines of a Jaguar E-type. Their pedigree was built on the D type that won Le Man three times in the late 50's and Enzo Ferrari called it "the most beautiful car ever made".

They were great with the early 3.8 L straight 6 engine with its triple SU carbs but nothing quite sounds the same as that growling 5.3 L V12 engine of the early 70's.
IMG_5287.JPG IMG_5288.JPG IMG_5289.JPG IMG_5290.JPG IMG_5291.JPG
(Pp admits to a love of LBSCs....otherwise know as popsy catchers :D)

Ah, the Bathurst 1000 is a fantastic race!

I'm an absolute Indy500 fan, but when I discovered V8 Supercars, about 10 years ago, it was with this race, that I was lucky to see live on TV. Just incredible, these guys are nuts, but damn, really impressive!
I'm trying to find if it will be on US TV this year (it's been on Fox Sports One the last few years). As for Indy cars they return to Gateway Motorsports Park for a night race this August after more than decade. They are most impressive but this time I'm getting seats in the south turn grandstands. Last time I was on the front straight and with them running by the wall you couldn't see the cars and on the back straight they were like specks!!!
A a frenchman amateur of sports cars, I love "les 24 heures du Mans", of course, but le Mans circuit in itself has never been on a pair with others great historical circuits like the old Spa, Nürburgring or Charade. And I agree with Thehangingtree, the 3 chicanes in the Hunaudières straight (and not Mulsanne, dear Thehangingtree, Mulsanne is the name of the slow curve at the end of the straight) have denatured it. But this I can understand, safety for the drivers, officials and spectators must be top priority.
Helach, besides Messaline many of us 'ugly Americans' don't respect a damn thing the French do:eek::D:doh:. I learned about Le Mans through the early 70s Steve McQueen movie of the same name so what they called it in the movie stuck with me...

The Rolex 24 hour race at Daytona was quite good. They run four classes of cars and if you add the margin of victories for three of the classes together it totals less than 3 seconds at the end of a 24 hour race. If you add the fourth class in the total spread between 1st and 2nd is still less than 8 seconds!!! Incredible racing for 24 Hours!

Poor man ! Never you could pay her like I pay ...:rolleyes::D

I see you using your tongue and fingers. I have those. Plus something else as an added bonus:p.

But, really, look at the top of the thread. It says "Cars and Related Things". Not sex. So, could you ladies get your minds out of the gutter, please, and back on topic? Thanks.;):D

Back
Top Bottom