Great Pics Found By Phlebas And Other

Go to CruxDreams.com
Yes, I have already posted that one in this thread some time ago. Ah well, we can't help it, the good pics go round and round for our pleasure :)

Yes, the crosses have an unusual feel to them, like enormous pieces of driftwood, or bones.
Well spotted, she has no visible means of support.

Plenty of good material for stories and pictures in that rebellion, certainly. And a lesson to the powerful, be merciful or those you wrong may rise up and bite you on the bum!

Of course, mercy may be a relative thing. Here's one from my archive, 2003, I rather like it! There is something very intimate about offering the crucified a drink, or indeed in accepting a drink like this, bound and helpless. Mercy, of a sort.

View attachment 413680

Definitely MY kind of mercy ! ;)

Yes, I have already posted that one in this thread some time ago. Ah well, we can't help it, the good pics go round and round for our pleasure :)

Yes, the crosses have an unusual feel to them, like enormous pieces of driftwood, or bones.

Plenty of good material for stories and pictures in that rebellion, certainly. And a lesson to the powerful, be merciful or those you wrong may rise up and bite you on the bum!

Of course, mercy may be a relative thing. Here's one from my archive, 2003, I rather like it! There is something very intimate about offering the crucified a drink, or indeed in accepting a drink like this, bound and helpless. Mercy, of a sort.

View attachment 413680

To me it looks more like he is making her kiss the handle of the whip, rather than giving a drink from a bottle.:rolleyes:

The pic is related to Boudicca's rebellion (60 AD). According to Tacitus (if I remember well), when the rebels took Londinium, they crucified the roman women they had captured. Crucifying a roman Citizen was considered the ultimate abomination for the Romans.
Hi Shastar, on Deviantart the picture is presented as an illustration to the following story, although I am unable to comment on its authenticity! B

The Red Sisters of Dhiogail and the Rebellion of the Damnonii
by Augustine

While many are familiar with the Celtic queen Boudicca’s ill-fated revolt against her Roman oppressors, there is another, more twisted tale of revolution that happened a century later and far to the north of Britain. At the very extreme of Roman control, in what is today Scotland, one native tribe grew restless under the legions’ yoke. The Damnonii- partly Celtic, partly Pictish- were a small tribe but were feared by both the Romans and other Celts for their ferocity. Whispers told of dark and unspeakable rites carried on in the misty recesses of their wooded domain.

Like other Celts they worshipped a plethora of gods each having its own regional characteristics. The favorite of the Damnonii was their own version of Sulis, the three-formed goddess of sunlight, life-giving and, oddly enough, curses. It was Sulis’ latter form that the Damnonii revered. Here the goddess was called “da dhiogail,’ meaning both “to laugh” but also “to suck dry.” Laughter, especially the sort that was wrung from an unwilling and ticklish captive, the Damnonii druids taught, was the sweetest offering possible to their twisted version of the goddess as it combined both heart-pounding, muscle-straining, gasping life at its most exhilarating and even erotic with the curse of longing for a cessation, even death. Such sacrifices, the shamans assured the tribe would eventually bring sunlight and good weather for their vital crops. Unlike other tribes, however, their Druidic caste was made up entirely of women, the priestesses of Da Dhiogail, recognizable and ominous in their scarlet cloaks.

In 84 AD the Romans under their general Agricola pushed into the territory of Damnonii and established a colony at Lindum. Relations between the new settlers and the natives were strained but and uneasy peace was established between them for some thirty years…until sometime around 115AD Romans settlers began to vanish. Anthropologists suggest several years of poor harvests led to an increase in devotion to the Damnonii’s dark goddess and a resentment of the pushy newcomers. Whatever started it, most of the Romans who vanished were never heard from again…except for the few who were found wandering naked on the moors, their minds gone and their bodies quivering, unable to stand the slightest touch. Inevitably war broke out but the Celts melted away into their forests, moors and hills. Roman settlers began fleeing south, unable to tolerate the unseen terror all around them.

Six years later, unwilling to expend any more to conquer the wild northern lands, the Emperor Hadrian pulled all settler back and built his famous wall, marking the limit of the Empire and leaving the Damnonii to themselves. And here the story might have ended had not a new expansionist emperor, Antoninus Pius refused to accept the new limit. In 140 AD the Romans once again pushed north almost to the old settlement at Lindum. Here they built a new wall and took over a Damnonii village to the south of it, Colania, as their new northern capitol. This time there was no mingling only a tense stand-off. Gradually over the next twenty years the Romans expanded south of the wall and the Damnonii withdrew north of it, seething at their loss of land. Settlers began vanishing again.

It was at this point the Red Priestesses named their youngest Chief Priestess ever, a stunning auburn haired warrior named Coira, or “Seething Pool.” She announced that their goddess demanded the return of their lands and, more darkly, the sacrifice of the foreign intruders. So passionate was Coira in her messages that it seemed to the people she was more than a mere priestess, she was the very embodiment of “Da Dhiogail.” The scattered settlements of the Damnonii gathered, each led by their own contingent of red priestesses, known as the Sisters of Dhiogail. On the night of July 10, 163 AD they struck at all the Roman settlements simultaneously.

The few troops garrisoning the northern settlements were overwhelmed. All who resisted were annihilated and a fine haul of captives was taken. They were brought before Coira and her fellow red sisters and their horrible fate was pronounced:

“You have stolen our lands and murdered our people! Worse, you have offended the great goddess Sulis da Dhiogail! Therefore it is only fitting that you suffer for your crimes in a way that will bring a long-suppressed smile to the goddesses’ face!”

It is unlikely that Coira had ever heard of the failed slave revolt of Spartacus nearly two hundred years earlier or the grim fate of his followers, crucified along the Appian Way, but the fate of the captured Romans would have surely brought a sardonic smile to the Red Sisters’ grim goddess. A month later, when a Roman relief column marched up the Dere Road from Coria back at Hadrian’s Wall- far too late-they were horrified at the many crosses lining the road on either side. But the occupants of these crosses had not been nailed to their posts. No, they had been stripped naked and tightly tied there, regularly fed so they would last quite a while. Under the patrolling supervision of the Red Sisters, huge crowds of the Damnonii people moved along the road in joyful celebration, mercilessly tickling the captives for weeks as they offered up their tormented laughter as a sacrifice to Da Dhiogail.

By the time the soldiers arrived the crowds were gone. A few survivors were taken down from the crosses, their minds broken and their bodies permanently trembling. Yet quite a few of the crosses were empty and there were not nearly enough of them to account for all the citizen who had been in Colania. The natives had once again melted into the surrounding wilderness and every settlement, including the town of Colania was empty and deserted. Cavalry scouts sent out to scour the country side found nothing but reported hearing the earie sounds of screaming and tormented laughter echoing in the deep woods and rugged valleys. They found no one. Worse, a number of the scouting parties failed to come back all together. Fearfully the legate in charge turned his cohort around and marched back to the wall. Never again would the Romans push this far north and the settlements, along with the Antonine Wall succumbed to the harsh environment and the Damnonni themselves vanished into the mists of time.

Yet as long as the legions remained in Britain, nervous sentries atop Hadrian’s Wall would tell stories of the fate of Colania and of the Red Sisters and of the unimaginable horrors that waited on the far side of the Wall. Every once in a while some brave traveler, explorer or even settler would venture past the barrier only to be swallowed up and lost forever. And every once in a while, faint, tormented and hysterical laughter could be heard off in the distance keeping alive the terrifying legend of the Damnonii and the Red sisters of Dhiogail.

The End.

Hi Shastar, on Deviantart the picture is presented as an illustration to the following story, although I am unable to comment on its authenticity! B

The Red Sisters of Dhiogail and the Rebellion of the Damnonii
by Augustine

Thank you Bob! Yes, I already knew the pic and story going with it, as I'm on Deviantart, too (but just as a lazy lurker, I've to admit). It's a good fantasy based on the real events of Boudicca's rebellion. Her story always fascinated me and she was certainly very well inspired to take her own life rather than let the Romans capture her alive! :eek:

This being said, the best pic about her to my eyes is this one (already posted elsewhere on the forum):
Boudicca Romans.jpg

It shows that she actually was a middle-aged woman, unbelievably humiliated (for a Queen) and already eager to take revenge on her tormentors. My kind of woman ! :)

And, BTW, there is an excellent (fantastic/alternate history) story about her in the archives, starring Barb, where the ghost of Boudicca takes control of the body of the well-known archeologist Barbara Moore. A recommended reading ;)

Thank you Bob! Yes, I already knew the pic and story going with it, as I'm on Deviantart, too (but just as a lazy lurker, I've to admit). It's a good fantasy based on the real events of Boudicca's rebellion. Her story always fascinated me and she was certainly very well inspired to take her own life rather than let the Romans capture her alive! :eek:

This being said, the best pic about her to my eyes is this one (already posted elsewhere on the forum):
View attachment 413711

It shows that she actually was a middle-aged woman, unbelievably humiliated (for a Queen) and already eager to take revenge on her tormentors. My kind of woman ! :)

And, BTW, there is an excellent (fantastic/alternate history) story about her in the archives, starring Barb, where the ghost of Boudicca takes control of the body of the well-known archeologist Barbara Moore. A recommended reading ;)
Sorry, didn't know you were already there! Great drawing - who is the artist?
I shall have to check out those stories, thank you.

View attachment 413680
I find it very arousing, I don't know why... :confused:

I find it very arousing, I don't know why... :confused:

It's a puzzle :)

Now, it's the weekend, and tradition has it that I post.

Some interesting ones here. I particularly like the first and the last. The siege pic is fiendishly cruel, using the defender's women as shields.
"Defend yourselves!"

tumblr_ocqrvmZ9gK1s5rhdao1_1280.jpg branding_the_witch_by_sterndessuedens-d9jn5ev.jpg soon_you_will_talk_by_sterndessuedens-d9k3vj2.jpg suspended_ready_for_the_whip_by_softpussy-da7tdy3.jpg she_shows_me_the_whip_by_softpussy-dab2jto.jpg bf6fd3c4cccebf7b9b4ff8e884ba10fd-d5q0kfm.jpg crucifiee_by_switzerlandmodels-d7v36uh.jpg horrify_me_shejus_by_smart_fx-dacco4n.jpg wormsoftheearth___nails___with_wode_by_saminabinet-dacls25.jpg siege_human_shields_by_noone102000-dadtchk.jpg

Like hood ornaments or figurehead on the siege towers. On the other hand, they may not make great shields. Since they are crucified on the towers, the defenders might shoot at the towers anyway, partly to save their women from more pain.

And I'm always more fascinated than horrified by the pics from Horrify Me.

Great sets, phlebas. (#6 of the Horrify set seems to have lost a nail for her hand :confused::D)

Some interesting ones here. I particularly like the first and the last. The siege pic is fiendishly cruel, using the defender's women as shields.
"Defend yourselves!"

View attachment 414434 View attachment 414435 View attachment 414436 View attachment 414437 View attachment 414438 View attachment 414439 View attachment 414440 View attachment 414441 View attachment 414442 View attachment 414443
A nice variety for this weekend Phlebas.
Wow! I love this one.
image.jpeg She is beautiful, too bad you can't see her face very good.
I love this tee shirt.
image.jpeg I can imagine the looks one would get wearing it:D
This one is a great image, I really like the artist Noone:)
image.jpeg

"Defend yourselves!"

View attachment 414434 View attachment 414435 View attachment 414436 View attachment 414437 View attachment 414438 View attachment 414439 View attachment 414440 View attachment 414441 View attachment 414442 View attachment 414443
#5: when the prisoner was finally stripped naked, her nipples were hard and erect and she was all wet under her loincloth due to the torturer's fondling...

"Defend yourselves!"

"Don't look at us! Defend yourselves!"

siege_human_shields_by_noone102000-dadtchk.jpg

"OI! Who fired those arrows?!"

On the other hand, they may not make great shields. Since they are crucified on the towers, the defenders might shoot at the towers anyway, partly to save their women from more pain.
And there are huge gaps that arrows can get through

Back
Top Bottom