Great Pics Found By Phlebas And Other

Go to CruxDreams.com
Now this is what I would call a great news cast:devil:
View attachment 437239

Indeed Hondo, what is particularly interesting about this shackler999 pic is that the newscaster is being allowed to do her job. Many of shackler999's crux manips show female newscasters and TV presenters being crucified. I just checked his DeviantArt gallery to confirm this, but it is now closed and empty. On taking a second look, I see he has manipped the victims' faces and given it the title 'ajon_vivb_lenda_gisselle_crucv2' so these might be TV personalities also, although I do not know them.

Last edited:
View attachment 437239
Indeed Hondo, what is particularly interesting about this shackler999 pic is that the newscaster is being allowed to do her job. Many of shackler999's crux manips show female newscasters and TV presenters being crucified. I just checked his DeviantArt gallery to confirm this, but it is now closed and empty. On taking a second look, I see he has manipped the victims' faces and given it the title 'ajon_vivb_lenda_gisselle_crucv2' so these might be TV personalities also, although I do not know them.

I can just imagine her saying, "And there you have it folks. Another three have been crucified today. Reporting live from Golgotha, back to you in the studio."

View attachment 437239

Looking at shackler999's picture (#1), I have identified the source crux image as a painting bearing the signature, 'by CAM' (#2). This whole painting has been copied three times (with one copy reversed) to create the triple crucifixion. The victims' heads and the newscaster have been added by shackler999 and the overall picture converted to grey-scale, presumably to disguise any colour inconsistencies between the photographed heads and painted bodies.

The grey-scale conversion also helps to disguise the fact that the figure, cross, cloudy sky and landscape background have all been copied, three times, in their entirety. There is no Photoshop cutting in this process. Look closely and you will see the sky repeated three times (including once reversed in a mirror image on the left side.)

The CAM pose is apparently inspired by Raphael Collin's 'Femme Crucifiee' oil painting of circa 1890 (#3). Here, Collin has illustrated a scene from (or perhaps in anticipation of) Pierre Louÿs' scandalous novel, 'Aphrodite', published in 1894. CAM has adapted the pose and reversed it, but I have no further information about this artist - does anyone know who CAM is?

My last image (#4) combines the main elements from each of the three described, to demonstrate the relative merits of each. They are all slightly different in their own way. And so we can trace the visual influences over a period of 126 years, and art imitates art again, and again...

ajon_vivb_lenda_gissellecrucv2_by_shackler999-dadqsti.jpg Crucified woman by CAM.jpg Raphael Collin Femme Crucifiee 1890 oil painting.jpg collin-shackler-CAM combination.jpg

The CAM pose is apparently inspired by Raphael Collin's 'Femme Crucifiee' oil painting of circa 1890 (#3)

I see why you say this Bob, but I'm inclined to think that the CAM pic is a standard crucified Christ picture, modified to make the subject a naked woman. It has the look of a certain kind of religious picture, and that chin looks to me like it might have started as a beard!
The Raphael Collin painting is a reminder that female crucifixion art has been around a long time, all the way back to the middle ages.
Shackler is a long standing member of Crux Foundation and Crux before that. He still posts sometimes at the Foundation. Nice fella :)
On the topic of the CAM pic being a modified crucified Christ, and how easily this can be done, here's a pic by another old and long lost member of Crux, Aedilis. He was doing manips when I first joined Crux, but sadly I haven't heard from him for a good many years.

find_the_difference.jpg

Last edited:
I see why you say this Bob, but I'm inclined to think that the CAM pic is a standard crucified Christ picture, modified to make the subject a naked woman. It has the look of a certain kind of religious picture, and that chin looks to me like it might have started as a beard!
The Raphael Collin painting is a reminder that female crucifixion art has been around a long time, all the way back to the middle ages.
Shackler is a long standing member of Crux Foundation and Crux before that. He still posts sometimes at the Foundation. Nice fella :)
On the topic of the CAM pic being a modified crucified Christ, and how easily this can be done, here's a pic by another old and long lost member of Crux, Aedilis. He was doing manips when I first joined Crux, but sadly I haven't heard from him for a good many years.

View attachment 437366

Well said, Phlebas! Indeed you are perfectly correct. Thank you for your observations - the CAM picture certainly is a manipulation but again I can find no information about the original crucified Christ painting. The pose is the classic crucifixion so it should be no surprise that Collin also used it.

CAM crucified woman with original source.jpg

Please don't think I have any intentions of discouraging manipulation artists. My analysis is intended to be objective rather than disparaging. After all, I am as guilty as anyone of recycling other people's work to create something new. I very much like shackler's honesty in preserving recognisable sources and I would encourage anybody to have a go.

Recently I was delighted to discover Michele Patri's work in his thread
Public Executions In The Arena
and I would recommend seeing this. For obvious reasons I was particularly impressed with his St. Julia of Carthage, seen here along with some source material. If it's good enough to be re-manipulated, I feel honoured - let's see more of this!

Michele Patri Gabriel Roman arena 134.1- CF 19-12-2015.jpg Via Appia 16a GS.jpg Ivdaea Capta 3e sepia.jpg Bobnearled-MichelePatri-Bobnearled.jpg

Last edited:
I dont know if this artist was already posted here ... if not, I do ... if yes, I do too ...:D

Attachments

• jungle_peril_by_alienarea-da4zc9h.jpg
    jungle_peril_by_alienarea-da4zc9h.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 493
  • just_hanging_around_by_alienarea-da5lkq7.jpg
    just_hanging_around_by_alienarea-da5lkq7.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 520
  • punished_amazon_by_alienarea-d9t7aku.jpg
    punished_amazon_by_alienarea-d9t7aku.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 495
  • red_is_hanging___version_by_alienarea-daf7qua.jpg
    red_is_hanging___version_by_alienarea-daf7qua.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 508
  • caught_in_the_desert_by_alienarea-da4lf6f.jpg
    caught_in_the_desert_by_alienarea-da4lf6f.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 505
I didn't knew that artist, and his technical skilss are pretty nice.

but it's pretty sad hat he never does the job for the face expression.

The girls (a bit too muscular for my own tastes) look like "everything is OK" when you are captured or crucified.
It ruins a bit the whole scene.
Yes, I thought too muscular too! And facial expression isn't quite right.

I quite like them, actually - ##1, 2 and 5 work well.
The full-face expressions are a bit static,
though they suggest determination, a hint of defiance -
just need a bit more variety.

The girls (a bit too muscular for my own tastes) look like "everything is OK" when you are captured or crucified.

Technically highly accomplished, as you say SJ. Great sense of scale and lighting, tense musculature and stoic expressions - that's alienarea. http://alienarea.deviantart.com/

alienarea after_the_battle_by_alienarea-d9y1xhb.jpg alienarea anja_the_jungle_queen_staked_out_by_alienarea-da71pv7.jpg alienarea call_of_the_west_by_alienarea-da9kmeb.jpg alienarea captured_tomb_raider___later_by_alienarea-dahu751.jpg alienarea dragonfood_by_alienarea-d9vn6sl.jpg alienarea dry_mud_desert_stakeout_by_alienarea-d95wyp3.jpg alienarea ghane_by_alienarea-da6l46g.jpg alienarea in_trouble_by_alienarea-d9go0xf.jpg alienarea jennifer_s_interrogation_03_by_alienarea-daes8je.jpg alienarea private_may_still_in_trouble_by_alienarea-d9mzlw3.jpg

it's a nice variation on my favourite Andromeda theme -
though I can't work out why she has to be chained doing the splits,
the monster looks a bit baffled how he's going to take advantage of what he's being offered! :p

They have not great expression because they stay proud : they're amazons ... and it explains their muscular bodies ...
I rather like that ...;)

Back
Top Bottom