Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
They came from Angeln, now in Schleswig-Holstein, about which Lord Palmerston said,
“Only three people have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business—
the Prince Consort, who is dead—a German professor, who has gone mad—
and I, who have forgotten all about it."

1066 And All That: A Memorable History, by W.C. Sellar and R. J. Yeatman:

Britain was attacked by waves of Picts, and, of course, Scots (who had recently learnt how to climb the wall) and of Angles, Saxons and Jutes who, landing at Thanet, soon overran the country with fire (and, of course, the sword)... The brutal Saxon invaders drove the Britons westward into Wales and compelled them to become Welsh; it is now considered doubtful whether this was a Good Thing. Memorable among the Saxon warriors were Hengist and his wife (? or horse) Horsa. Hengist made himself King in the South. Thus Hengist was the first English King and his wife (or horse) Horsa was the first English Queen (or horse). The country was now more or less entirely inhabited by Saxons and was therefore renamed England, and thus (naturally) soon became C. of E. This was a Good Thing, because previously the Saxons had worshipped some dreadful gods of their own called Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Last edited:
Of that I have no doubt! I do know that in Basingstoke they believe in their roundabouts. Even minor intersections had striping painted on the pavement to guide you around, not straight across, the central part of the intersection.
We have also interest roundabouts. It is Erfurt, the state capital, 60km from me.
And trust me, very professional car-drivers. No accident on this roundabout (I hope).

Of that I have no doubt! I do know that in Basingstoke they believe in their roundabouts. Even minor intersections had striping painted on the pavement to guide you around, not straight across, the central part of the intersection.

Most people just drive straight across :rolleyes:

You can play spot the grass with this photo :doh:

View attachment 512991
If that's Slough, just out of the pic must be Stoke Poges
where Thomas Gray composed his Elegy in a Country Churchyard,

"The curfew tolls the knell of parting day,
And the lowing herd winds slowly o'er the lea,
The ploughman homeward plods his weary way,
And leaves the world to darkness, and to me...'

Well, a lowing herd may well be being offloaded from a trailer into an abbatoir among all that lot,
for processing into burgers, and a JCB driver's homeward plodding along the A4,
getting sworn at by frustrated motorists...

Back
Top Bottom