Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
It is already 30 years ago, on 25th of august 1989, that Voyager 2 flew along Neptune. The last of a series of fly by along the biggest planets of our solar system : Jupiter (9 July 1979), Saturn (25 august 1981 - coincidentally), Uranus (24 january 1986) and finally Neptune. This trip was possible thanks to the unusual conjunction (happening once in 175 years), of all these planets. Launched on 20th of August 1977, Voyager 2 has 'officially' left our solar system on the 5th of November 2018. NASA has still contact with it.

Another milestone : 75 years ago, on August 25th 1944, Paris was liberated, by French troops, under the command of General Leclerc. At first, the Allied command had intended to drive around France’s capital, hence evading the risk of bloody street fighting. But since half August, strikes and armed uprising had broken out in Paris. So, reconsidering the political importance of capturing a capital, the Allies had changed their mind.

Hitler did not want Paris to fall into Allied arms undamaged. So he had ordered the commander of Paris, General Dietrich von Choltitz, to prepare massive destruction of infrastructure. Choltitz however, delayed the order long enough to prevent it from happening.

Everybody is relieved that this destruction never took place.

But have the French always be so careful with their beloved capital themselves?

Flashback to thirty years earlier. August 25th 1914 is considered the last day of the so called Battle of the Frontiers. A battle, of unseen scale in history, that had swept from east to west, from Lorraine, through the Ardennes, along the Sambre and Meuse rivers, to Mons. With the British Expeditionary Forces having abandoned their positions at Mons, the whole Allied front line was on retreat. France got invaded and its army was threatened with encirclement. The retreat would take 400 km, and the German right flank approached Paris.

The French government then decided to make Paris a stronghold. General Joseph Gallieni was appointed as its commander.

While thousands of inhabitants and government officials were fleeing Paris (the stanza of the Marseillaise ‘Aux armes citoyens, Formez vos bataillons’ (Citizens, get your weapons, assemble your batallions), was mockingly turned into : ‘Aux gares, citoyens, Montez dans les wagons’ (To the train stations, citizens, Get into the carriages’)), Gallieni had to organize the defense – initially with troops he only had on paper.

With the Germans approaching, Gallieni was called to the Ministry of War, and received by the minister, Alexandre Millerand. He told Gallieni that his orders were clear and simple : defend Paris ‘à l’outrance’ (to the extreme). When Gallieni remarked that, in his profession, ‘à l’outrance’ meant : bloody street fighting, buildings burning or getting destroyed, bridges over the Seine getting blown up, Millerand repeated : ‘à l’outrance, general!’

The German advance got stopped east of Paris, at the Battle of the Marne, early September 1914. Yet, if history had turned different, then Millerand’s order could have saved von Choltitz from his conscience objection to carry out Hitler’s order during the next war.

Bob Hope

On his deathbed they asked him where he wanted to be buried. Bob Hope replied: "Surprise me."

I had forgotten that he lived to be 100, and also didn't realize it has been over 15 years since he died.

For those of you too young to remember Bob Hope, ask your grandparents and thanks for the memories.

ON TURNING 70 - "I still chase women, but only downhill."

ON TURNING 80 - "That's the time of your life when even your birthday suit needs pressing"

ON TURNING 90 - "You know you are getting old when the candles cost more than the cake."

ON TURNING 100 - " I don't feel old. In fact, I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap."

ON GIVING UP HIS EARLY CAREER (BOXING) - "I ruined my hands in the ring. The referee kept stepping on them."

ON GOLF - "Golf is my profession. Show business is just to pay the green fees."

ON PRESIDENTS - "I have performed for 12 presidents but entertained only six."

ON WHY HE CHOOSE SHOWBIZ FOR HIS CAREER - "When I was born, the doctor said to my mother, congratulations, you have an eight pound ham."

ON RECEIVING THE CONGRESSIONAL GOLD MEDAL - "I feel very humble, but I think I have the strength of character to fight it."

ON HIS FAMILY'S EARLY POVERTY - "Four of us slept in the one bed. When it got cold, mother threw on another brother."

ON HIS SIX BROTHERS - "That's how I learned to dance. Waiting for the bathroom."

ON HIS EARLY FAILURES - "I would not have had anything to eat if it wasn't for the stuff the audience threw at me."

ON GOING TO HEAVEN - "I have done benefits for ALL religions. I would hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality."

Eighty years ago, on 31th august 1939, a German radio broadcasting station near the Polish border in Gleiwitz (Silesia - now Gliwice) is attacked by Polish soldiers. The attackers are ultimately chased away, leaving behind several death.

In fact, the attack was staged by the SS. The 'Polish soldiers' were concentration camp prisoners, who had been dressed in Polish army uniforms, dropped there and got killed.

The event gave Hitler a cause to start war against Poand. In a speech, broadcasted the next day, he declared : "since 5h45, we are returning fire". The invasion of Poland, and hence WWII, had begun.

Curious detail : the broadcasting station, with its 118 m high antenna (1935), survived the war and is still operational today. The antenna is the highest wooden structure in the world. A 'milestone' as a structure and as a symbolic in time.

Eighty years ago, on 31th august 1939, a German radio broadcasting station near the Polish border in Gleiwitz (Silesia - now Gliwice) is attacked by Polish soldiers. The attackers are ultimately chased away, leaving behind several death.

In fact, the attack was staged by the SS. The 'Polish soldiers' were concentration camp prisoners, who had been dressed in Polish army uniforms, dropped there and got killed.

The event gave Hitler a cause to start war against Poand. In a speech, broadcasted the next day, he declared : "since 5h45, we are returning fire". The invasion of Poland, and hence WWII, had begun.

Curious detail : the broadcasting station, with its 118 m high antenna (1935), survived the war and is still operational today. The antenna is the highest wooden structure in the world. A 'milestone' as a structure and as a symbolic in time.
And now that its September 1 in Germany and Poland, 80 years ago about this time the German-Polish War began with multiple Wehrmacht columns rolling into Poland.

Later in the month of September, the poet W.H. Auden published his most famous and perhaps greatest work. A study in infinite sadness for a War, the horror of which, no one at the time could have imagined.

I sit in one of the dives
On Fifty-second Street
Uncertain and afraid
As the clever hopes expire
Of a low dishonest decade:
Waves of anger and fear
Circulate over the bright
And darkened lands of the earth,
Obsessing our private lives;
The unmentionable odour of death
Offends the September night.

Accurate scholarship can
Unearth the whole offence
From Luther until now
That has driven a culture mad,
Find what occurred at Linz,
What huge imago made
A psychopathic god:
I and the public know
What all schoolchildren learn,
Those to whom evil is done
Do evil in return.

Exiled Thucydides knew
All that a speech can say
About Democracy,
And what dictators do,
The elderly rubbish they talk
To an apathetic grave;
Analysed all in his book,
The enlightenment driven away,
The habit-forming pain,
Mismanagement and grief:
We must suffer them all again.

Into this neutral air
Where blind skyscrapers use
Their full height to proclaim
The strength of Collective Man,
Each language pours its vain
Competitive excuse:
But who can live for long
In an euphoric dream;
Out of the mirror they stare,
Imperialism's face
And the international wrong.

Faces along the bar
Cling to their average day:
The lights must never go out,
The music must always play,
All the conventions conspire
To make this fort assume
The furniture of home;
Lest we should see where we are,
Lost in a haunted wood,
Children afraid of the night
Who have never been happy or good.

The windiest militant trash
Important Persons shout
Is not so crude as our wish:
What mad Nijinsky wrote
About Diaghilev
Is true of the normal heart;
For the error bred in the bone
Of each woman and each man
Craves what it cannot have,
Not universal love
But to be loved alone.

From the conservative dark
Into the ethical life
The dense commuters come,
Repeating their morning vow;
'I will be true to the wife,
I'll concentrate more on my work,'
And helpless governors wake
To resume their compulsory game:
Who can release them now,
Who can reach the dead,
Who can speak for the dumb?

All I have is a voice
To undo the folded lie,
The romantic lie in the brain
Of the sensual man-in-the-street
And the lie of Authority
Whose buildings grope the sky:
There is no such thing as the State
And no one exists alone;
Hunger allows no choice
To the citizen or the police;
We must love one another or die.

Defenseless under the night
Our world in stupor lies;
Yet, dotted everywhere,
Ironic points of light
Flash out wherever the Just
Exchange their messages:
May I, composed like them
Of Eros and of dust,
Beleaguered by the same
Negation and despair,
Show an affirming flame.

Der Spiegel ran an article about the German-Soviet "non-aggression" pact that freed Hitler to invade Poland (and gave the Soviets eastern Poland and the Baltic republics). This was the trigger for World War II.
Churchill:
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."
Stalin the Machiavellian was out Machiavellied by Hitler. Hitler's ego was puffed up with success, and his fantasies about his prowess doomed his war. Unfortunately a whole lot of people paid for the scheming of both these assholes.
(But unless you believe in reincarnation, Tree is correct that you can't blame him.)

The first shots of the war are 'credited' to the German battleship Schleswig-Holstein. The ship had arrived a few days earlier in the port of Gotenhafen (now Gdynia), near the then German-Polish border. From 4h47 in the morning, the ship shelled Polish positions on the Westerplatte, a Peninsula between Gotenhafen and the city of Danzig (then an independent city state as established in the 1919 Versailles Treaty). The presence of Polish fortifications and troops on the Westerplatte had since 1919 been a matter of conflict between Poland, Germany, Danzig and the League of Nations.

The battleship Schleswig-Holstein was a Deutschland class battleship, designed before the Dreadnought era, and, as it was built in 1905, already outdated before her completion.
Hence, these ships were terribly obsolete when World War One started, but nevertheless, they were deployed in the Battle of Jutland in 1916, where all they did was, besides a brief gunnery exchange, slowing down the speed of the rest of the fleet.
Schleswig-Holstein remained in the German Fleet after Versailles, and was mainly used as a training ship for cadets. After the Battle of the Westerplatte, she still took part in the invasion of Denmark in April 1940. Afterwards, she was again used as a training ship. Sunk in shallow water in Gotenhafen in December 1944 by British bombers, she was raised after the war by the Soviets, which used her as a static gunnery target until 1966. Thereafter, the wreck was left to decay.

Here's a related article with photos taken at the time:
Today, the name Schleswig-Holstein is carried by a German frigate.
View attachment 745757
Is that the boat or the sailor's... never mind...

“The Schleswig-Holstein question is so complicated, only three men in Europe have ever understood it. One was Prince Albert, who is dead. The second was a German professor who became mad. I am the third and I have forgotten all about it.” Lord Palmerston

“The Schleswig-Holstein question is so complicated, only three men in Europe have ever understood it. One was Prince Albert, who is dead. The second was a German professor who became mad. I am the third and I have forgotten all about it.” Lord Palmerston
All that complication over a few cows??:confused:

Oh, yeah, now I remember my history. In 1863, the Second War of Schleswig, as the first of three wars (the other two being the Austro-Prussian War of 1866 and the Franco Prussian War of 1870) that lead to Bismarck's unification of Germany into the Prussian German Empire.

Fifty-Five years ago in High School, I read a biography of Bismarck.

'France's Lockerbie', thirty years ago.

When I heard the news on the radio, that evening, thirty years ago, my first thought was : ‘has the DC-10 technical troubles again?’ Exactly two months earlier, on July 19th 1989 there had been another crash with DC-10, Flight UA232, in Sioux City; Iowa, after an exploded turbine disc had ripped of all the hydraulic systems of the plane. It seemed, the Seventies were back (Alfred Haynes, the captain of Flight UA232, died on August 25th, this year).

On September 19th 1989, a DC-10 of the French airline UTA has crashed in the Ténéré Desert in Niger. All 170 on board were killed. Flight 772 had been en route from Brazzaville (Dem. Republic of Congo), to Paris, with a stopover in N’Djamena, Chad. A bomb had been smuggled into the cargo hold. The device exploded at cruising altitude, the plane fell apart in the skies.

The bombing had been planned by the Libyan Khaddaffi regime, as a revenge for the successful French intervention in Chad, against Libyan territorial claims. The terrorist attack took place less than a year after the Lockerbie bombing on Pan Am Flight 103 , but this ‘French Lockerbie’ seems to have been forgotten.

After evacuation of the bodies, the wreckage of the plane has been left behind on the spot, and gradually vanishes under the moving sand dunes. Close to the site of the crash, a monument has been created, representing the doomed airplane, visible from above.

UTA.jpg

'France's Lockerbie', thirty years ago.

The terrorist attack took place less than a year after the Lockerbie bombing on Pan Am Flight 103 , but this ‘French Lockerbie’ seems to have been forgotten.
Three reasons it has largely been forgotten:
1) The wreckage came down in a remote desert region rather than across the Scottish countryside.
2) It happened in Africa and events in the Third World, even big ones like this, get little coverage in the First World. The conflict in Chad received little or no coverage. This was long before the Internet, but the same is true today.
3) Although the victims included Europeans and Americans - including the wife of the US ambassador to Chad - most were Africans. Again: events in the Third World.........

rather than across the Scottish countryside
I very much agree with what you say Naraku, but should point out that a large section of the fuselage and part of a wing of PA103 came down on residential streets in the wee town of Lockerbie, killing 11 people there and causing massive damage. A good collection of 'then and now' photos here:
It doesn't appear that the incident described by Loxuru killed anyone on the ground, though that hardly makes it any better.

Twenty-five years ago, in the early hours of september 25th 1994, MS Estonia, en route from Tallinn to Stockholm, met disaster. Sailing through rough weather, the bow door broke off under the force of the waves, admitting the car deck to be flooded. The ferry quickly listed to starboard, capsized and sunk. There were 852 casualties, only 137 survived. It is the worst peacetime naval disaster in European waters.

Back
Top Bottom