Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
140 years ago today, James Clerk Maxwell died, aged 48

View attachment 772364

'The work of James Clerk Maxwell changed the world forever.'
(Albert Einstein)

This is a mildly technical history of Maxwell's equations from IEEE Spectrum. It is a good example of how physics works: experiment->theory->huh? experiment->refined theory-> -> applications. Note that the brilliant William Thompson (Lord Kelvin) with an ego to match is here again. He was notorious for not reading the literature, and always ready to denigrate the work of others. He once said that X-rays would prove to be a "hoax". Not a mistake, but a lie. Here, he weighs in against Maxwell, even though the equations were based on experimental work up to that point--they didn't just appear out of a vacuum (pun intended). Kelvin is still cited because he said evolution violated the Second Law of Thermodynamics (in which he was to that time an expert but which he didn't really understand in the modern sense). Anyway, I found this interesting and maybe others will as well.

Attachments

• MaxwellsEquationsIEEE20191205.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
These sightseeing flight had an approved flight route, and there were regular briefings about it. But there had been an error in the coordinates entered in the flight computers. When a deviation of the computed flight plan with the plane's actual position compared to beacons had been discovered, during an earlier sightseeing flight, the error had been corrected, but, apparently they stored the coordinates of a wrong waypoint this time, programming yet another erronous flight path compared to approved one, but this time over mountainous terrain, and failed to inform the crew about the change..
Supposedly one of the early Mars Missions crashed because NASA gave some specs to the contractor in metric units but the contractor read them as English units. This contributed to the legend of the "Great Galactic Ghoul" (a sort of super-Yeti) which protects Mars from spacecraft--I guess thoroughly tamed now. It always amazes me that when things are dangerous or expensive or both no one bothers to double check things, especially if there is more than one party involved. You'd think the pilots would have been briefed on a CHANGE in the flight plan in a computer.

It always amazes me that when things are dangerous or expensive or both no one bothers to double check things, especially if there is more than one party involved. You'd think the pilots would have been briefed on a CHANGE in the flight plan in a computer.
Everybody checks my work... there is no trust here!!!

That´s not true! Barb doesn´t check your work. She only checks if you are drunken enough so that she can borrow your mustang.
Btw: your executions are always flawless!

Caprice 042.JPG I'm always checking on Tree, especially when he's behind my back ... :rolleyes:

On December 10th 1799, today 220 years ago, France officially adopted the metric system. Creating a unified and simple (decimal) system, it replaced the about 250.000 units of measurements, in vigor in France alone under the abolished monarchy. Soon, Napoleon's conquests would spread its use over continental Europe. Today, only Liberia, Myanmar and the USA have not adopted it yet.

On December 10th 1799, today 220 years ago, France officially adopted the metric system. Creating a unified and simple (decimal) system, it replaced the about 250.000 units of measurements, in vigor in France alone under the abolished monarchy. Soon, Napoleon's conquests would spread its use over continental Europe. Today, only Liberia, Myanmar and the USA have not adopted it yet.
UK only half-heartedly, and we'll probably be back to bushels and quarts, rods, poles and perches, after Brexit.
I think I read once that there was supposed to be an agreement, that Britain would be allowed to have the 0 meridian,
on condition we adopted the metric system - but (what a surprise!) we didn't keep our side of the bargain.

UK only half-heartedly, and we'll probably be back to bushels and quarts, rods, poles and perches, after Brexit.
I think I read once that there was supposed to be an agreement, that Britain would be allowed to have the 0 meridian,
on condition we adopted the metric system - but (what a surprise!) we didn't keep our side of the bargain.

Now I know from where the US inherited some of its more insane impulses. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think the Prime Meridian had more to do with the British Navy and the Sun never setting on the Empire than on agreements. Speaking of that, maybe the PM should be moved to Washington DC? in exchange for the US deigning to adopt the metrics.
BTW, though I detest the Centigrade system (see Master's Diary for reasons), having been educated as a physicist, I wholeheartedly endorse the decimal weights and measures.

I think the Prime Meridian had more to do with the British Navy and the Sun never setting on the Empire than on agreements. Speaking of that, maybe the PM should be moved to Washington DC? in exchange for the US deigning to adopt the metrics.
BTW, though I detest the Centigrade system (see Master's Diary for reasons), having been educated as a physicist, I wholeheartedly endorse the decimal weights and measures.
Where can I find Martser`s Diary? Below are the links that I got while searching

There are a few more like that.

Where can I find Martser`s Diary? Below are the links that I got while searching
I misspelled it at first (since corrected)

I think the Prime Meridian had more to do with the British Navy and the Sun never setting on the Empire than on agreements.
It was an international agreement, in 1864 -

and the French did object, arguing that if a standard meridian was to be set,
then a standard linear measurement should also be adopted, viz. the metre.
That doesn't seem to have been accepted as a condition, I was mistaken about that,
more a 'gentlemanly understanding' perhaps -
but France abstained in the final vote on the meridian,
and didn't formally adopt it until 1911, the Fench have always resisted calling it 'the Greenwich meridian'

On this day in 1830, Emily Elizabeth Dickinson was born in Amherst, Massachusetts. The poet famously challenged literary and societal conventions, but most of her poems were published and gained popularity only posthumously.

On December 11, Hitler, his Blitzkrieg against the Soviet Union already faltering, declared war on the United States. It is true that the United States was highly belligerent toward Germany, supplying Britain and "shooting on sight" Kriegsmarine vessels, but it was not really a rational decision, and added nothing to the German war effort. (Now the United States would supply Russia, too, via Russian ships from the US west coast to Vladivostok, right through Japanese-held territory. (And even if Moscow had been taken, one must remember that Napolean also took Moscow--Blitzkrieg isn't an easy thing to pull off in Russia. The Soviets had already moved a lot of industry to the Urals.) He did have the upper hand for a while against shipping off the US east coast, just like the Japanese did in the Pacific, but that didn't last very long.

John Kenneth Galbraith:
When Pearl Harbor happened, we [Roosevelt's advisors] were desperate. ... We were all in agony. The mood of the American people was obvious – they were determined that the Japanese had to be punished. We could have been forced to concentrate all our efforts on the Pacific, unable from then on to give more than purely peripheral help to Britain. It was truly astounding when Hitler declared war on us three days later. I cannot tell you our feelings of triumph. It was a totally irrational thing for him to do, and I think it saved Europe.

It was an international agreement, in 1864 -

and the French did object, arguing that if a standard meridian was to be set,
then a standard linear measurement should also be adopted, viz. the metre.
That doesn't seem to have been accepted as a condition, I was mistaken about that,
more a 'gentlemanly understanding' perhaps -
but France abstained in the final vote on the meridian,
and didn't formally adopt it until 1911, the Fench have always resisted calling it 'the Greenwich meridian'
Now all the standards have gone from masses and rods kept in vaults in Paris to values derived from "fundamental constants" of physics (like Planck's constant, the speed of light, the frequency of given atomic spectral lines, etc.). The days of national repositories are over--no one can claim a lock on nature.

Back
Top Bottom