Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
It's a shame we evolved 4 fingers + a thumb on each hand.
If we'd had 6 digits, a duodecimal world would be so much more versatile.
Mind, we have 12 finger joints on each hand, Indian kids learn to count and calculate with those
(using thumb as pointer), and generally seem to turn out pretty good at maths.

Mind, we have 12 finger joints on each hand, Indian kids learn to count and calculate with those

Working that one out in my mind for awhile yet :confused:

Working that one out in my mind for awhile yet
Since we do it all electronically today, hexadecimal is the most efficient code with multiple subdivisions and relatively easy conversion to binary. Next year would be shortened and simplified to 7E4.
See how much easier that would be, Barb?

In which case 'twelve' would be 'ten', and we would have extra names for the numbers 'ten' and 'eleven', and there would be twelve centimeter in a decimeter and December would be correct as name for the twelfth month of the year. and we wouldn't notice the difference, apart from the fact that some parts of the world would still use 'inch" and 'feet' and 'yard' against better wisdom.:icon_writing:

My toes meanwhile wonder why they do not count!:confused:

just because the decimal system was imposed by Napoleon, the British would like to abolish it! :flipa:

A fair number of languages use non-decimal number systems - as close to home as the Celtic languages (and, partly, French) use vigesimal, base 20. But admittedly most of them use base 5 (quinary) or multiples of 10.

I find a couple of dialects of West Chadic languages in Nigeria, the Daffo dialect of Ron, and the Nimbia dialect of Gwandare, have duodecimal counting systems.

On this day in 1892, The Nutcracker premiered at the Imperial Mariinsky Theatre in St. Petersburg, Russia. The ballet, set to music by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, did not immediately attain popularity or critical acclaim.

"Freude schöner Götterfunken,
Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten Feuertrunken,
Himmlische, dein Heiligthum!"

Deine Zauber binden wieder
Was die Mode streng geteilt*;
Alle Menschen werden Brüder*
Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt!

It is my practice to sing that a max volume in the shower or when stuck in traffic. ;)

Is it a Milestone that Miss America 2020 is a scientist?

Camille Schrier, who gave a chemistry demonstration on hydrogen peroxide during the talent competition, was crowned by 2019 Miss America Nia Franklin from New York.
The new Miss America told the crowd during introductions that she plans to get a doctor of pharmacy degree at VCU, in Richmond, Virginia. She has undergraduate degrees in biochemistry and systems biology from Virginia Tech.

191219224929-03-miss-america-2020-exlarge-169.jpg

Since scientists/engineers seem over-represented on this forum, can we hope she stumbles here and likes what she sees?

Back
Top Bottom