Minnesota Moore and the Emperors' Treasure

Go to CruxDreams.com
Gibbon's account of Diocletian in retirement is a classic (Decline & Fall of the Roman Empire XIII):

Diocletian, who, from a servile origin, had raised himself to the throne, passed the nine last years of his life in a private condition. Reason had dictated, and content seems to have accompanied, his retreat, in which he enjoyed, for a long time, the respect of those princes to whom he had resigned the possession of the world. It is seldom that minds long exercised in business have formed the habits of conversing with themselves, and in the loss of power they principally regret the want of occupation. The amusements of letters and of devotion, which afford so many resources in solitude, were incapable of fixing the attention of Diocletian; but he had preserved, or at least he soon recovered, a taste for the most innocent as well as natural pleasures, and his leisure hours were sufficiently employed in building, planting, and gardening. His answer to Maximian is deservedly celebrated. He was solicited by that restless old man to reassume the reins of government, and the Imperial purple. He rejected the temptation with a smile of pity, calmly observing, that if he could show Maximian the cabbages which he had planted with his own hands at Salona, he should no longer be urged to relinquish the enjoyment of happiness for the pursuit of power.

In his conversations with his friends, he frequently acknowledged, that of all arts, the most difficult was the art of reigning; and he expressed himself on that favorite topic with a degree of warmth which could be the result only of experience. "How often," was he accustomed to say, "is it the interest of four or five ministers to combine together to deceive their sovereign! Secluded from mankind by his exalted dignity, the truth is concealed from his knowledge; he can see only with their eyes, he hears nothing but their misrepresentations. He confers the most important offices upon vice and weakness, and disgraces the most virtuous and deserving among his subjects. By such infamous arts," added Diocletian, "the best and wisest princes are sold to the venal corruption of their courtiers."

A just estimate of greatness, and the assurance of immortal fame, improve our relish for the pleasures of retirement; but the Roman emperor had filled too important a character in the world, to enjoy without alloy the comforts and security of a private condition. It was impossible that he could remain ignorant of the troubles which afflicted the empire after his abdication. It was impossible that he could be indifferent to their consequences. Fear, sorrow, and discontent, sometimes pursued him into the solitude of Salona. His tenderness, or at least his pride, was deeply wounded by the misfortunes of his wife and daughter; and the last moments of Diocletian were imbittered by some affronts, which Licinius and Constantine might have spared the father of so many emperors, and the first author of their own fortune. A report, though of a very doubtful nature, has reached our times, that he prudently withdrew himself from their power by a voluntary death.

Gibbon's account of Diocletian in retirement is a classic (Decline & Fall of the Roman Empire XIII):

Diocletian, who, from a servile origin, had raised himself to the throne, passed the nine last years of his life in a private condition. Reason had dictated, and content seems to have accompanied, his retreat, in which he enjoyed, for a long time, the respect of those princes to whom he had resigned the possession of the world. It is seldom that minds long exercised in business have formed the habits of conversing with themselves, and in the loss of power they principally regret the want of occupation. The amusements of letters and of devotion, which afford so many resources in solitude, were incapable of fixing the attention of Diocletian; but he had preserved, or at least he soon recovered, a taste for the most innocent as well as natural pleasures, and his leisure hours were sufficiently employed in building, planting, and gardening. His answer to Maximian is deservedly celebrated. He was solicited by that restless old man to reassume the reins of government, and the Imperial purple. He rejected the temptation with a smile of pity, calmly observing, that if he could show Maximian the cabbages which he had planted with his own hands at Salona, he should no longer be urged to relinquish the enjoyment of happiness for the pursuit of power.

In his conversations with his friends, he frequently acknowledged, that of all arts, the most difficult was the art of reigning; and he expressed himself on that favorite topic with a degree of warmth which could be the result only of experience. "How often," was he accustomed to say, "is it the interest of four or five ministers to combine together to deceive their sovereign! Secluded from mankind by his exalted dignity, the truth is concealed from his knowledge; he can see only with their eyes, he hears nothing but their misrepresentations. He confers the most important offices upon vice and weakness, and disgraces the most virtuous and deserving among his subjects. By such infamous arts," added Diocletian, "the best and wisest princes are sold to the venal corruption of their courtiers."

A just estimate of greatness, and the assurance of immortal fame, improve our relish for the pleasures of retirement; but the Roman emperor had filled too important a character in the world, to enjoy without alloy the comforts and security of a private condition. It was impossible that he could remain ignorant of the troubles which afflicted the empire after his abdication. It was impossible that he could be indifferent to their consequences. Fear, sorrow, and discontent, sometimes pursued him into the solitude of Salona. His tenderness, or at least his pride, was deeply wounded by the misfortunes of his wife and daughter; and the last moments of Diocletian were imbittered by some affronts, which Licinius and Constantine might have spared the father of so many emperors, and the first author of their own fortune. A report, though of a very doubtful nature, has reached our times, that he prudently withdrew himself from their power by a voluntary death.
Thank you, Eulalia, for your contribution to the hopeful, yet ultimately doomed attempt in this thread to educate the poor benighted readers. There will be a 250 questions quiz at the end of the story!

Thank you, Eulalia, for your contribution to the hopeful, yet ultimately doomed attempt in this thread to educate the poor benighted readers. There will be a 250 questions quiz at the end of the story!
Imagine if he'd had twitter, though...:icon_tfno::icon_writing:

Chapter 33 April 23, 2018 Disappeared!

Dr. Moore had to concentrate to keep her hands steady. The knowledge that she’d solved the puzzle was like a powerful orgasm. That made her think of Geoffrey. And that let her know that Messaline, though a wonderful girl, was just a brief encounter. Her heart really belonged to that septuagenarian librarian!
Given the late hour, she emailed Geoffrey rather than calling him.

“Manuscript authenticated beyond any doubt. Description of Diocletian’s triclinium spot on. Decoded puzzle on walls – know where treasure was buried. Will go with team first thing in the morning.”

The same sent to Dr. Windar. It was only 6PM in Minnesota, but Windar always left promptly at 5. Then she thought of Harold Antonio, whose money had made this all possible. She forwarded the email to him.
Then she called David. He was still awake, eating, and almost choked on his food. “Where is it!” he shouted through the phone.
“I’ll tell you and the whole team when we get together early in the morning.” Barb then asked him to arrange the van for 6AM in the morning and alert the team to assemble at 5:30 AM to go to the treasure site.
“Professor, you know I have both ancient and modern maps of the whole region. I can find the best route if you tell me where we are going.”
“I know exactly where to go, David. Just get the team together. You only need to call Henry and Susan. I’ll take care of Messaline.”
“Is she with you, then?” David asked with a slight jealous edge in his voice. “Susan has decided she’s through with me.”
“No, she’s not here.” Dr. Moore said curtly; she was a little offended at his rude assumption that she slept with Messa every night. However, she quickly corrected herself. David must be hurt by Susan dumping him so fast. Truth be told, Barbara would have slept every night with the blonde if she could.
“I’m going to call her next and the two of us will go get some tools that we might need. I’m sorry to hear about you and Susan. I know how you felt.”
“Yeah, well, I guess I served my purpose there,” he said bitterly. “Could I help carry stuff? Where will you find a place open at this hour?”
“I asked the concierge and they told me that Alati Milić hardware on Krešimirova street was open all night.”
“Can I help?” David seemed anxious to have a new purpose.
“Thank you very much, David. We will be fine. You just get the team together in the lobby for an early start.”
"And you won't give me a hint where the treasure is?"
"Be patient."

Barb rang off and rang Messaline’s room. A sleepy, “Allô?” The French student was clearly woken by the call, but perked up as soon as she heard Barb’s voice. “Bonjour, Professeur Moore, what can I do for you?”
Barb explained her discovery and Messa’s reaction was if anything, more excited than her own. After briefly discussing the situation and her plans, Moore asked Messa to accompany her for the shopping. The student immediately agreed. They arranged to meet in the lobby in thirty minutes at 12:45 AM. As Barb rang off, Messaline said, “A plus tard, mon amour!” Barb made a note that she had to let the girl down gently when she broke off the very brief affair.
At one AM sharp, they left the lobby headed for the Peristyle and beyond to Krešimirova street..

At 5:15 AM, David and Henry and Susan were gathered early in the lobby waiting for Barb and Messa. None had slept since getting the news.
By 6:10 their professor had not appeared. This was not like Dr. Moore, who was extremely punctual, nor Messaline, for that matter. They tried both phones and got no answer, not even voice mail. At 6:15, David insisted, against the advice of the others, to go to the hardware store to look for them. By 6:35, she could stand it no longer and Susan cajoled the desk clerk into giving her keys to their rooms. She and Henry went up while David insisted in going out to look for them. The rooms were empty with no signs of anything unusual and no notes.
Now they were worried. They placed calls to Geoffrey and Windar. After managing to rouse both, they were no wiser. Geoffrey told them to contact Dr. Andrija Novak, who could get the police right on it with no delay.
At 8:00 AM they were waiting in the lobby for the imminent arrival of the police and worried sick about their friends.
At 8:15, they realized that it was over two hours and David had not returned. Oh my God, they thought. What is happening?

At 8:00 AM they were waiting in the lobby for the imminent arrival of the police and worried sick about their friends.
At 8:15, they realized that it was over two hours and David had not returned. Oh my God, they thought. What is happening?
Last seen...
gif .... "What's the hell !" Said the policeman : " But no doubt, I'll re-find them !" :D

Uh oh, something sinister is definitely going on here .... yikes! :confused::eek::facepalm:

Don't worry, I'm on the caseLennie_Briscoe_-_L&O.png I always find Moore in the end, right? Just because I couldn't find Split on a map (I leave that to my divorce attorney) doesn't mean I can't find her. And when I do, she is in big trouble for pulling a stunt like this...

Thank you, Eulalia, for your contribution to the hopeful, yet ultimately doomed attempt in this thread to educate the poor benighted readers.
Hey! Take that back! I have already prooved the opposite. Just yesterday we had bbq with a few neighbours and friends; among them two Croatians. While they talked about the time after Tito and nowadays relationship with Serbia and Albania, I mentioned the long list of changing nations in Croatia. When I mentioned Barbarossa and Diocletan and especially his palace in Split they couldn´t believe it. I have to admit that I didn´t told them where I learned about that :)

Hey! Take that back! I have already prooved the opposite. Just yesterday we had bbq with a few neighbours and friends; among them two Croatians. While they talked about the time after Tito and nowadays relationship with Serbia and Albania, I mentioned the long list of changing nations in Croatia. When I mentioned Barbarossa and Diocletan and especially his palace in Split they couldn´t believe it. I have to admit that I didn´t told them where I learned about that :)
You have just made my day!! Thank you.:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Chapter 34 April 23, 2019 Kidnapped

Dr. Barbara Moore awoke slowly to a terrible headache. She struggled with a blurred, dizzying memory to understand what had happened. It slowly came back.
She and Messaline were walking through Split to the hardware store. It was one fifteen in the morning and very dark, but the old town felt safe. They were talking and laughing, the high of the discovery was like a drug. They turned off the bright-lit Peristyle into a darker alley which would lead them to Krešimirova street and the store. Then Barb had felt a touch on her shoulder and a cloth was suddenly on her face with a sweet but chemical smell and then it became hazy very fast.
As Dr. Moore struggled to remember, she realized she was also struggling to free herself. She was in a chair, tied and gagged and there was a hood over her head.
Madiosi-2019-222-kidnapped.jpg

After a few more minutes, Barb’s head was clear but her mind was not. Where was she? What time was it? Where was Messa? Was she alight? She was seated in a chair, tightly bound. She tried tugging at her ropes, but they were heavy and tight. Dr. Moore always worked well under pressure and she used that strength now to calm herself and try to think what could have happened.
This had none of the features of a simple robbery nor of a mugging nor, even, she shuddered to think, a street rape. Someone had gone to the effort of preparing chloroform (she was pretty sure that’s what she’d smelled) and rope and a place to put her (them). Kidnap for ransom was a possibility. But even as American (French) tourists, they were not particularly obvious targets. And she had carefully researched all the venues and locales for this project and Split was one of the safest. She would just have to conserve her energy and keep her mind clear to deal with whatever came up. But she felt very responsible for her student Messaline and desperately wanted to know her status.
After what could have been anywhere from ten minutes to an hour, a door opened loudly and several (men -by their voices) entered the room and grabbed her by the arms and stood her up. Barbara was relieved to hear another person being lifted. Messa was probably with her and was as OK as Barb. She felt them drag her out of the door and down a hall into another room. Orders were barked in a Slavic language (Messaline would know, thought Moore), and her captors began to untie her arms.
Barbara reasoned that her captors were likely to be too many and too strong for anything but futile struggle. So, she allowed them remove her t-shirt and jeans. Then new ropes were tied to her wrists which were pulled up so her arms were high and spread. They untied her ankles and did the same to her feet. In the end she was standing on the balls of her feet, spread-eagle in just her bra and panties. Another order was given and her hood was pulled off. Blinking at the bright lights, it took her a moment to focus on the figure in front of her.
It was Messaline, tied just as Barbara was, facing her about six feet away. The men (there appeared to be four, had already begun to leave the room. The door closed and the women were left looking at each other, unable to talk through their gags. Barb looked her student (who, like Barb, had been stripped to bra and panties) up and down and saw no injuries. The younger, less experienced, girl seemed near to total panic. Barb tried to make soothing sounds through her gag, but it did little good. As time passed Messa settled down, but neither woman was relaxed. In fact, their fear only increased with time.
A strong belief of what the men wanted had formed in Dr. Moore’s mind. It was what she had been dreading more and more as they had gotten closer to Split. This must be connected to the treasure. But, why were they taken tonight (if it was still night) just when Barb had figured out the location? Was it a coincidence? She hoped to convince them she still had no idea where it was. There was just one big problem. They had Messa too! Barb had to protect her.
A few minutes later the door opened and the four thugs reentered. Now Barb could see them clearly. They were big and rough looking and had stripped to the waist. Their muscular bodies were covered with numerous scars and tattoos. They stood around the girls, clearly leering at their half-naked bodies, spread and vulnerable. A shiver ran down Dr. Moore’s spine.

However, what captured Barbara’s attention was the other three men who next entered and came toward the women.

Last edited by a moderator:

Never mind palaces and monasteries, I'm going to apply for a study grant to go and watch Barb receiving her chastisement, that tight little is one of the wonders of the modern world :)

View attachment 717460" If it could: Messa adores to be under the sea ... "

View attachment 717461

Everything's better down where it's wetter, eh Messa ;)

Could this mean Barbara and Messaline are facing "a fate worse than death"!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:
View attachment 718032View attachment 718033

We can hope oh dear I hope not!

Last edited:
In the end she was standing on the balls of her feet, spread-eagle in just her bra and panties.

At least they didn’t strip me naked. There’s still hope. :rolleyes:

A strong belief of what the men wanted had formed in Dr. Moore’s mind. It was what she had been dreading more and more as they had gotten closer to Split. This must be connected to the treasure.

Sometimes I can be so brilliant. Why else would they allow me to keep my bra and panties? :)

She hoped to convince them she still had no idea where it was.

I’ll play dumb and innocent ... that surely ought to work ;)

They were big and rough looking and had stripped to the waist. Their muscular bodies were covered with numerous scars and tattoos. They stood around the girls, clearly leering at their half-naked bodies, spread and vulnerable

Then again ... maybe it won’t :confused::eek:

However, what captured Barbara’s attention was the other three men who next entered and came toward the women.

Cliffhanger!!!!!!! :facepalm::popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom