Music

Go to CruxDreams.com

Hondoboot2

QUAESTOR PULCHRITUDINIS
I have been thinking about starting a thread on music for awhile, and a few days ago Tree wrote in the thread Odds and Ends about listening to a Ringo Starr record on vinyl, so it got me thinking about a music thread again. Like me, I bet there are a lot of members who are passionate about music.
In this thread we can talk about favorite music, post favorite album covers, etc. Some members might interest other members into checking out some new tunes.
So here goes.....
Tonight I am spinning the Doors "Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine" on the turntable. The copy that I have is the Record Store Day 2014 release that is on colored vinyl. This is a great compilation album of some of the Doors greatest songs. It was the first greatest hits album released after Jim Morrison's death and I think it is still the best Doors compilation album. It also has a great cover. I seem to be having trouble uploading the photos I made on my phone, damn iOS 8 update. Had to use the iPad for the photos, sorry about the low resolution photos, but the iPad has a crap camara.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Now back to listening to "Riders on the Storm" and "When The Music's Over":)....Music is your only friend until the end.......and there's a killer on the road...his brain is squirmin like a toad....good stuff.

Last edited:
Cool thread, cool choice. The End is one of the creepiest songs ever recorded.

So I found this band The Handsome Family because they did the opening theme to True Detective.

I haven't got a fancy LP, but I've been listening to them digitally recently, and it's inspired me to write a southern gothic mystery. Don't look for it any time soon, its getting way too long in the concept stage. But this is the music I'm listening to while writing it. They have a song called Frogs, and there's this line "Lie down in the dirt Sister" and it is so incredibly sensual, you have to experience it for yourself.

Tree got lazy tonight and put in the 'Valley Girls' soundtrack. "Don't put another dime in the jukebox" and "I melt with you" have to be cranked up to appreciate...

Tree

...oh, come back, Leo, I'll turn it down....

I have been thinking about starting a thread on music for awhile, and a few days ago Tree wrote in the thread Odds and Ends about listening to a Ringo Starr record on vinyl, so it got me thinking about a music thread again. Like me, I bet there are a lot of members who are passionate about music.
In this thread we can talk about favorite music, post favorite album covers, etc. Some members might interest other members into checking out some new tunes.
So here goes.....
Tonight I am spinning the Doors "Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine" on the turntable. The copy that I have is the Record Store Day 2014 release that is on colored vinyl. This is a great compilation album of some of the Doors greatest songs. It was the first greatest hits album released after Jim Morrison's death and I think it is still the best Doors compilation album. It also has a great cover. I seem to be having trouble uploading the photos I made on my phone, damn iOS 8 update. Had to use the iPad for the photos, sorry about the low resolution photos, but the iPad has a crap camara.

View attachment 151288 View attachment 151289 View attachment 151290

Now back to listening to "Riders on the Storm" and "When The Music's Over":)....Music is your only friend until the end.......and there's a killer on the road...his brain is squirmin like a toad....good stuff.

Brilliant idea, HandoBoot2!

Congratulations.

Top-Cat

Cool thread, cool choice. The End is one of the creepiest songs ever recorded.

So I found this band The Handsome Family because they did the opening theme to True Detective.

I haven't got a fancy LP, but I've been listening to them digitally recently, and it's inspired me to write a southern gothic mystery. Don't look for it any time soon, its getting way too long in the concept stage. But this is the music I'm listening to while writing it. They have a song called Frogs, and there's this line "Lie down in the dirt Sister" and it is so incredibly sensual, you have to experience it for yourself.
"The End" is one of the creepiest, but it is also one of my favorite Doors songs, along with "The End Of The Night", another creepy song. I seem to love all of the Doors creepiest songs:devil:
That is why "Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine" is so good, it has all of the strange and creepy songs they did, all on a two record set.

Last edited:
The Doors were one of the greatest bands of all time & "The End" is a great song. But, for my money, the best was "Riders on the Storm".
Ray Manzarek was the master of the pre-synth organ.
I also love Riders on the Storm. It depends on how I feel as to which Doors song is my favorite. Really, I do not think I could say that there is a song of theirs that I do not like. I do not think they did a bad song.

I thought it sounded great... Please take this as a compliment, I thought it was a cross between the 'Valley Girl's' soundtrack and REM.

...:beer:

Tree

Last edited by a moderator:
Much of 'Valley Girl's' is heavy on drums. When 'I melt with you' (Modern English) comes on I crank it up...

You're sort of new, I'll plug a local band... Listen to the band 'Divine Sorrow'... My neighbors...

T

Rapture Riders, by Blondie with the Doors (just remixed) is one of my favorites.

Blondie was already exellent, when he played in the CBCG Club, New York.

Unmissable video clip of Blondie in CBCG, her singing "A Girl Should Know Better" (1975)

She dressed student, extremely sexy and hallucinated, she gets to leave the stage for a while, but back.

YouTube has.

001.jpg

Top-Cat

Excellent. I used to run a thread like this ages ago. I think it was "Audio Angels" or something like that. Anyway, here's a more intimate take. The latest home-studio recordings from my own band, Stunde Null.

https://soundcloud.com/stundenullband/sets/elmwood-demos-remastered

Personally I think the vocals are a bit too high in the mix since the singer's very trebely voice cuts through no matter what we do. I play the drums if you're wondering. Always love to get feedback.
The mix is a bit muddy at times, but, over all, I'd say it's pretty good.
And the drumming sounds solid.
Much of 'Valley Girl's' is heavy on drums. When 'I melt with you' (Modern English) comes on I crank it up...

You're sort of new, I'll plug a local band... Listen to the band 'Divine Sorrow'... My neighbors...

T
It is a good sound track, sort of an 80s sampler. Not a great movie though.
A better movie with another great 80s sound track is "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".
To this day, I cannot hear the opening chords of The Cars "Moving in Stereo" without thinking of Phoebe Cates climbing out od the swimming pool.:D

T

Cool, Yeah! I remember these guys from the last thread. Props for supporting the Wounded Warrior Project:

http://fox2now.com/2014/04/14/band-in-the-box-divine-sorrow/

Love the nod to A Perfect Circle.

As a musician I can hear that the TV mix has the guitars way down, but I can sort of hear what the band would actually sound like live in my head and I like it. Love those riffs.

Today in 1970 the late great Jimi Hendrix was laid to rest in Renton,Washington. In honor, I have decided to spin my favorite album of his, "Electric Ladyland". Side four has three of his greatest songs all in a row, House Burning Down, All Along The Watchtower & Voodoo Child (Slight Return). All Along The Watchtower was written by Bob Dylan, but I read once that Bob thought Jimi's version was so good he considered the song Jimi's. I can't argue with Bob on that one.
I have two copies of this album, the original with the nude ladies, and the censored American version. I have taken photos of the front and back of each version.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Ahem. Hondoboot, you have won the badassery contest of the evening. I have vinyl envy. Coolest thing I own is the picturedisc of Lateralus by Tool. And that I lent to a friend an never got back. haha damnit I miss it.

old guy Tree just found out the former lead singer from Mott the Hoople (Ian Hunter) will be playing the Sheldon Theater in St. Louis November 13. There will be no post from Tree that night...

T

:D
Nice! Sounds like a fine evening Tree.

Back
Top Bottom