Notturno Veneziano

Go to CruxDreams.com
They were identified and taken the four who yesterday smeared with red paint one of the two "Leoncini" placed in the homonymous square next to the Basilica of San Marco in Venice.

The carabinieri have identified two men and two women. They would be the authors of the vandalism against one of the two statues created by Giovanni Bonazza.

Now they are under interrogation and then the Magistrate will decide. The City does not ask for revenge but a fair compensation with public social works in front of everyone.

Venice, "Just a stunt, we had drunk". The lion's vandals will be radiated from the Academy.
Three out of four are students of the Academy: "Scarring also the institution".

In many, to see the images of St. Mark's lion smeared, they thought about a performance. A "message" in a historical moment in which we continue to discuss the peasant tourism and study the measures against those who do not respect the rules. Instead, behind the gesture of four students (three of them from the Academy of Fine Arts), there is nothing ideal. "It was just a stunt, we had drunk," the boys told the carabinieri that they identified them in a few hours.
They risk radiation
And this stunt could now cost very much. Not just because they were reported, but because they risk being expelled from the Academy.
The performers would be two, the others would have looked. Their justifications divided the public opinion that yesterday, even through social networks, was unleashed with a common denominator: "Have it cleaned up".
The admissions of the guilty
The boys, in front of the carabinieri, have admitted to wanting to remedy but cleaning up the monument may not be enough: among other things, the same penal code provides for suspended sentence only if you repair the damage or make socially useful work. They also risk a disciplinary measure. The director of the Academy of Fine Arts has declared that he will propose their "radiation". The vandalism, in fact, does not affect only a city that already suffers and is thinking of hitting those who do not respect the rules with the urban Daspo. "It is also a disfigurement to the ancient Venetian institution that is the Academy of Fine Arts - says the president - that has contributed a lot and continues to contribute to the cultural life of the city".

To the readers: I added this news because in our story we talked about the lions of Venice. #516

Last edited:
'expelled' I think - espulsi?

radiati in Italian is like espulsi but more severe.
in a football match a player can be expelled but the next match he return to play
radiati is like cancelled or inhibited to the frequency of school for the future...

:doh:radiated mean exposed to a radioactive substance in Italian is irradiati

translation is a difficult exercice :doh:

Last edited:
Our tour is short, and soon we are sitting on a bench in the gardens. Here we shall be quiet, there is no-one around, only a big fawn-coloured, leonine-looking dog, approaching us in search of stroking and something to put between his teeth. A call from the owner, and he too goes away.

'Tell me about all these lions in Venice ...'

'The Lion, symbol of S. Marco and of the Serenissima, can be found everywhere in Venice: there’s the winged lion holding the book with the inscription "Pax Tibi Marce, Evangelista Meus", standing right in front of the Palazzo Ducale on the Porta della Carta, there’s another up on the clock tower, and in the Piazzetta dei Leoni, and there’s the chimera transformed into a winged lion that’s set on the column dedicated to S. Marco – he’s a lion who’s travelled a lot, he’s much older than Venice, he came here as loot from somewhere else, perhaps at the same time as the four horses of the Basilica, which came from the sack of Constantinople. It was adopted by the Venetians to make it the symbol of their maritime power. From a distance its shape evokes grace and elegance, but be careful not to get too close.

At one time, there were living lions here, housed in private or public buildings. On 12 September 1316 a lioness, kept in a cage in the courtyard of the Palazzo Ducale, gave birth to cubs, causing great surprise and delight throughout the city, that event was seen as a good omen for the fate of the Republic.

In the Piazza San Marco too a live lion was kept in a golden cage, but he died, apparently poisoned by the gilding of the bars. During the Carnival of 1762 another live lion was exhibited, also in the Piazza San Marco, which became famous because it was portrayed, surrounded by masquerading dogs, by Pietro Longhi in his painting "Il casotto del leone" “the carnival-booth of the lion”, preserved in the picture-gallery of the Querini Stampalia foundation.

The Lion has been depicted “rampant”, that is leaping up on its hind legs in profile, “sejant”, seated facing forward, with his wings spread out like a fan, or the claws of a crab (“in moleca” refers to the time when a crab moults its shell). On the banner of La Serenissima, the Lion is seen “passant guardant”, walking past but turning to look at the viewer. In classic Venetian iconography, the Lion was depicted with the book open in peacetime, but closed in wartime, when the Lion wields a sword.

One of the most famous Lions “in moleca” stands on the bell-tower of S. Aponal, rising from the waters, signifying the supremacy of Venice over the seas. It’s now preserved, along with other portrayals, in the Correr Museum. Then there’s another in the Doge’s apartment in the Palazzo Ducale, that one is from the fifteenth century.

Other mighty and imposing lions are positioned in front of the entrance to the Arsenal, and one of these bears runic graffiti, now very worn. These statues were brought from Greece by Francesco Morosini. Another one sits placidly in the Campo Manin, haughty in all its regal majesty , and finally yet another can be admired in the Palazzo Ferro, it’s a winged lion ... '

I seem to have become like my architect, Stin - who, since this 'graceful animal' arrived, I have been neglecting a little.

'Tell me, tell me more... it's very interesting ...’

'Two more lions are positioned on the portal of the bell tower of San Polo, one of them is being attacked by a biscione (a heraldic viper), inspired, it seems, by a warning issued by the Consiglio dei Dieci to all those who might betray Venice - some say this was on the occasion of the beheading of Marin Faliero, others, given the symbolism of the biscione, think that it represents the execution of the Count of Carmagnola.

Another pair of medieval lions are on the wall of a house at the San Tomà ferry, they are fighting and destroying snakes and dragons. And finally, on the chancel screen in the Cathedral of Torcello they support the tree of life, thus assuming a particular importance in the language of alchemical bestiary, reflecting the esoteric tendencies of the city.

The Venetians, and the people of the Veneto too, keep Lions of Venice on guard on their gate-pillars, or in their gardens, majestic and formidable in their royalty and power, always living symbols for the sons of this land and of this great Republic. '

‘It's true - some time ago I've read a strange story in a comic:,“Fable of Venice”, the adventure of a young sailor, Corto Maltese, telling about the Lions of the Arsenal ... Can we go there?'

‘They’re not far from here, but be careful, they’re very dangerous, and you need to know something about them, seeing those scars on your chest and shoulder ...'

'What? Are they alive? Aren’t they statues?'

'They are stone statues, but they can become alive in certain situations - I know something about it, from when the bigger one attacked me - but I can run faster than you ...'

'Fantastic!'

radiati in Italian is like espulsi but more severe.
in a football match a player can be expelled but the next match he return to play
radiati is like cancelled or inhibited to the frequency of school for the future...

:doh:radiated mean exposed to a radioactive substance in Italian is irradiati

translation is a difficult exercice:doh:

In English "radiated" has not the same meaning as the Italian "radiati", I guess. At least what I consulted does not reporte this meaning. Or am I wrong?

Yes, it's a 'false friend'. 'Radiate' in English means 'spread out' - the spokes on a wheel 'radiate' from the hub. Also energy - heat 'radiates' from a stove or a 'radiator', atomic radiation spreads out from a radioactive source.
But 'radiato' in Italian means 'put out' in quite a different sense, thrown out of a school, university, football team etc.

To throw someone (or something) out in English is 'expel', but again, it's a rather false friend, 'espulso' in Italian is (temporarily) 'suspended'

Last edited:
On these lions many children are photographed, but it seems that women also appreciate climbing on the back of these statues.
The reason why you can understand from this photos ...

The malice is in the eye of the beholder!
But surely the lion's tail is in such a position that, if a woman sits on its back, she finds it between her legs like a sex toy! :p

'Terrifying, I’d say!'

'Do you know the story of Corto?

'No, I haven’t read it. But how do you know it? It's not a recent one.'

'I found the book in London, in English ... a rare one...'

'What does it tell?'

It’s about a search for a magic stone, with strange inscriptions that would indicate where King Solomon's treasure is ...'

'Strange, how come it’s here in Venice?'

'It would be found in a secret place, in the Ghetto, in a well in a certain courtyard, the hidden court called the Arcana - but it is not known where this place is. The stone was brought by some Jews fleeing from Jerusalem when the Arabs occupied the city.'

'Always mysterious, Venice ...'

'The story begins with a rite of the Masonic Lodge of Venice, the men who participate, hooded and dressed in black ...'

'Stop! Enough! I've had quite enough of hooded men, congregations, mysteries and ghosts, real persecution ... '

'But the story is beautiful ...'

'Maybe, but for now it’s better to leave it where it is ... '

'Don’t you want to know about it?'

‘Find me the book, then I'll read it.'

Meanwhile, we’ve reached the Arsenale.

'Venice is a city that makes you think, it makes you look around, it makes you exercise. The Arsenal of Venice was the beating heart of the Republic, whose success rested on naval power. Completely surrounded by high walls, so that no one could spy inside, its area was about a tenth of the entire historic centre of Venice. Building was started by the Doge Ordelao Falier in 1104. The “arsene” were the dry docks, and all the ships the Republic were built here. As well as the shipyards, there were ropeworks, tackle-makers, and workshops producing everything to that could be used to arm and equip them.’

'But what's written on the lion statues?'

'It seems they’re runic inscriptions, but some say they are older, magical formulas ... It was here, just near the gateway of the Arsenale, that the bodies of two sailors were found, horribly mutilated. One was Greek, the other Maltese. They seemed to have been torn to pieces by a beast. And then two more horribly disfigured bodies, of a shifty character along with his wife, a former prostitute. The woman had threatened an old merchant called Foscaro, who had a bad reputation as a moneylender, and he predicted she’d die during the next stormy night...

So it was - the old Foscaro materialised in a ring of fire near the larger lions. He moved around one of these, touching the inscription with his fingers, uttering its meaning. At that moment a luminous globe took shape on the gateway, and a first bolt of lightning struck the seated lion. The great lion slowly came to life, huge and ferocious.

At that moment the prostitute arrived, accompanied by her fancy-boy, and meanwhile a new globe with a second flash of lightning lightning struck the other lion. The former one was already atacking the woman ferociously.

A captain of the guards smote the old man in the chest with his sword, while a third streak of lightning struck the third lion. After a frightful roar and a blinding flash they all returned instantly as they were before: the lions in their places, motionless, the prostitute’s boyfriend dead, torn to pieces, immersed in his blood. Of the old man there remained only a heart of stone next to the sword that had fallen on the paving stones. It was with a heart of stone in his chest that he had turned stone into flesh. But the head of the third lion was still alive, roaring and moving frantically though it was anchored to a stone body, and so the captain beheaded him. The head disappeared, no-one knows where.'

Ruslan approaches the lion as if he’s wanting to touch the inscription ...

'No! Don’t do it! You could wake the monster!’

There are more monsters hidden among the palaces of Venice, like the troublesome Guardian of the Bell Tower of Santa Maria Formosa. He has kept evil spirits away, but he has also scared the sacristan, the 'nonzolo'. The grotesques with scary grins or monstrous traits - half human and half beasts - carved on the facades of the palaces and churches, they are there to keep the Devil away. Sacred places, in particular, are equipped with stone guardians, often placed on or near the bell-towers so that they can guard against those evil presences that are attracted by the sound of the bells, and would create havoc among the population. Would such a 'mascaron' have fulfilled its purpose of frightening the Devil? Certainly one managed to scare the English writer John Ruskin, who described it as 'a head ... huge, inhuman and monstrous, leering in bestial degradation, too foul to be either pictured or described, or to be beheld for more than an instant.’ (‘The Stones of Venice’ 3:120)

The shadows of the evening come down and the first street lamps light up. The road is long, the tide is rising, we will get our feet wet, there are no raised walkways in this area. There are no passers-by, the tourists have moved away. We are alone in this city where incredible things happen, where, behind the facades of the old peeling walls, in this nocturnal Venice, there are always shadows that vanish, ghosts that appear and disappear - they torment me, I feel like a child lost in the dark and in the fog.

But I have to resist, I have to resist at least until the ballet, I cannot surrender myself now, even if I am burning with love. I cannot give in, I have to resist like a virgin before she goes to the wedding-bed. Why this asymmetry in the battle of love? Why is it the female who has to repress her desire? The desire that is burning her from inside like a devouring fire?

Everything is easier for the male, he sets the siege, and waits. From the very first skirmish, it’s a game of cat and mouse, the male is a predatory feline. I want to overturn this role - in the ballet, I shall show who’s in command, I shall be a Juliet who will subdue Romeo. And this is a Romeo who’ll be very difficult to subdue, but I have found his weak point ...

On the Riva degli Schiavoni, where there are walkways, the light of the street lamps hides the the platforms in shadows, we seem to be walking on the waves, waves that are moving frenetically, driven by the unseasonable Scirocco, as if they want to devour the buildings, to take possession of the city. The Piazza San Marco is a dream, I would like to stop here just to fill my eyes with its splendour.

We end our ride over the waves going up the steps of the luxury hotel where my Romeo is staying. The dinner is pleasant, but has no originality. So as not to confuse customers, in these restaurants they serve up an 'international' menus without any distinctive quality or refinement, not even the cuisine of this city. It's late, but I have to wait until the tide ebbs before returning to my hideout at the theatre. We sit in a room on the ground floor, discussing our dances ... I know I'm disappointing him, but this is how I want it.

It’s late when I return, Madame Chloé is waiting for me anxiously. I'll be hers tonight.

I like very much Corto ! I've all the albums ... Hugo Pratt was a great artist ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Pratt

Hugo Pratt (1927-1995) was from Venice;
here a short piece of him remembering his life in Venice:

I was four or five years old, maybe six, when I accompanied my grandmother to the Old Ghetto of Venice. We went to visit a friend of hers, Mrs. Bora Levi, who lived in an old house. This house was accessed by climbing an ancient wooden staircase called "scala matta" or "scala delle pantegane", or "Turkish stairs". Mrs. Bora Levi gave me a candy. a cup of hot and thick chocolate, and two biscuits without salt. that I did not like. Then she and my grandmother, inevitably, sat and played cards, smiling and whispering phrases incomprehensible to me. And so all I had to do was to carefully examine the hundred miniatures hung on the dark red velvet wall, which were watching me from their glass ovals. I say that they observed me, because these miniatures contained old portraits of strict lords in Hapsburg uniforms or rabbis with black braids and wide-brimmed felts. And each one seemed to be staring at me with an insistence that certainly bordered on invasion.

A little embarrassed I would go to the kitchen window and look down into a grassy square with a real ivy-covered well. That little square has a name: Corte Sconta, also called Arcana. To enter it, seven doors had to be opened, each of which had the name of a Shed, that is, a demon of the Shedim caste, procreated by Adam during his separation from Eve, after the act of disobedience. Each door opened with a magic word, which was then the name of the demon itself. I still remember those terrible names: Sam Ha, Mawet, Ashmodai, Shibbetta, Ruah, Kardeyakos, Nà'Amah.

I remember that one day Signora Bora Levi took me by the hand and led me into the Court, lighting the way with a "menorah", the seven-branched candlestick, and every time she opened a door she blew out a candle. The court was full of sculptures and graffiti: a king armed with a bow and arrows, riding on a god; a newborn baby; a huntress also with a bow and arrows; a cow with one eye; a six-pointed star; a circle drawn on its own for a young girl dance to dance in, naked; the names of the fallen angels of God, Samael, Satael, Amabiel. The Jewish lady told me about all these things, answering my questions. Then she opened a door at the back of the court and led me through a street with tall grasses, which led to another beautiful little square, and which I later found again, just the same and full of flowers, in a house in the Juderia of Cordoba. I remember that there was a very nice lady in that Court, always surrounded by children and girls who played around a giant butterfly of colored glass. It was Aurelia, the Gnostic butterfly. Gnosis presents itself as an inexhaustible source of wisdom, and offers, in a thousand reflections of various colors, what each one desires.

Those two squares intercommunicating through the small hidden alley called "Calle Stretta della Nostalgia", represented the fabled center where two secret worlds joined: one belonging to the doctrines of the Talmud, and the other to esoteric Judaeo-Greek-Oriental teachings. All this maze of stairs, streets, courtyards and small squares was called the "Serraglio delle Belle Idee" or "Serraglio dei Giudei". In this beautiful place my playmates were Jewish children, good at telling me of ancient things, and at climbing over forbidden city walls. In addition, the little girls had disquieting smiles, I read their eyes in the golden shade of the attics. They were the ones to reveal for the first time the Basilides Abraxas (the Demiurge, highest deity of the lower world) and the Pythagorean symbols, the lunar serpents, and the diagrams of Menander and Saturninos. It was in those little squares that I became aware for the first time of the Nine Chapters of Simon Magus, of Mani, Origen, Arius, Valentinus, Justino, Carpocrates, Epiphanios, Tertullian, Augustine, Hypatia, and many others. It was in that enchanted place that I also heard of the Keys of Solomon and of the emerald of Satan, that the hermetic tradition declares to have fallen from the forehead of the angel of evil, becoming the symbol of "cursed Science" among men.

At a certain time, my grandmother decided to return home (we lived on the other side of the city, at Bragora) and at that moment I felt physically the pain of separation from those mysterious friends. Being too young, my parents still would not leave me alone, so I had to wait a week or more to go back to the ghetto. Returning home with my grandmother, we passed through the Rio della Sensa to the Madonna dell'Orto, where the statues of the three Arab brothers are embedded in the walls of the ancient "Fontego dei Mori or Saraceni": El Rioba, Sandi and Afani. When I asked who those gentlemen were, dressed in the "crutch" (turban?). My grandmother replied that they were Moors, Turkish Mamelukes - In short, things matters she made me understand I was not to ask about.

After that grandmother went to play a few numbers in the lottery, in the Venetian Cabal of Lotteries. And in me there remained unresolved these questions about Turks, Saracens, Arabs, that intrigued me so much that I began to ask for explanations from many members of my family. So I learned that the Genero, to which lineage my mother belonged, came from the Toledo in Spain and were of Sephardic-Marrano origin, converted to Christianity as a result of the cruel persecutions that took place in Spain in 1391.

To the Genero were related the Toledani, the Greggyos and the Azim, these last were Byzantine glass-blowers in Murano on the Lagoon. Someone in the family would often speak of Arab merchants and spies who had come to Venice to look for something that the Venetian pirates had stolen. These were everyday topics of conversation among us. I remember one day my uncle took me to a small square hidden next to San Marziale, and pointed to a green marble baton placed inside an alabaster niche, explaining that it was the symbol of a sect of Saracen adventurers, allied to the Templars and to the Teutonic Knights. A few years passed and I began to go alone into the ghetto, consorting more and more eagerly with my friends in the two little squares and their houses.

Then events brought me to Africa. In Ethiopia, in Addis Ababa, I rediscovered much of the Venetian environment by attending the Greek-Jewish-Egyptian-Armenian community. In the libraries of Debra Markos, Debra Ghiorghis, Debra Mariam, in the Coptic books and images of the Queen of Sheba and King Solomon, I discovered that in the lives of men who want to know there are always seven secret doors. And I found that the magic formulas are always sevenfold, and that the devils are the same, the hidden books more or less the same, and the fallen angels a little more numerous. In Coptic literature old stories are read with apocryphal additions. My new friends from East Africa, older than me by a few years, told me wonderful stories about the journeys of Enoch and the Garden of Eden. And the girls smiled with the same disquieting smile as those little girls in the ghetto, though these had majolica eyes, very different from the Venetian-colored eyes of those girls.

The war came and I spent a few years in Dancalia (region in Ethiopia) and in the Ogaden, among the camels and the smugglers of "khat". From a camel driver I learned that to enter Al-Jannah Al Adn, the Garden of Eden, seven doors had to be opened in the desert, and to be able to open them you must know the names of seven terrible angels of the tribe of Shaitan, or be accompanied from a poet who has a golden key under his tongue. From an Eritrean Arab I later learned that the Adriatic was called Giun Al-Banadiqin, the "Gulf of the Venetians", and that the Egyptians called Al Bunduqiyyah the same city of Venice.

I returned to Italy. The war was not over yet, the houses of the Venetian ghetto were closed, the Jews had fled to hide in the homes of the Venetians. At night, softly, old Arabic-Spanish stories were told again, and there was talk of the Kabbalistic city of Safed in Palestine, where there was the tomb of Simon Ben Yohai, believed to be the author of the Zohar, "The Book of Splendors" . And once again, when the high holy days came, I ate cookies without salt that I did not like.

The war ended.

Since then, I come and go throughout the world, almost without any destination. But I always come back to Venice. I walk through its streets, along the canals, I stop on the bridges and observe that on the banks there are no longer the crabs that in the afternoons used to be lazily sunbathing. There have been none for many years. I look for places I knew when I was a child, but many times I do not recognize them. The crazy staircase is gone and not even Mrs. Bora Levi is to be found. The windows of her house are walled up, the physiognomy of the place has changed. When I ask, they cannot answer me. Young people who do not know, or some old man who does not want to remember...

One day, I found the name of the old Jewish lady who gave me the candy and the hot chocolate engraved on a marble slab near the door of the ancient Scuola Espanola, along with those of other Jews who were deported and never returned after the war. Not many names, because Venice hid her Jews, she hid them in her "Corti Sconte", her "Arcane".

Courts are still hidden behind jealous walls, with street numbers that are reinvented when some layman looks too long. The old and faded names remain, written on large white rectangles bordered with black like funeral cards, and the Sorian cats that seem to suggest, almost like a riddle, that everything is there as it once was. We must want to find it. And perhaps we can find it, just beyond the Jewish Bridge, when we enter the taverns, where we can still play with the old Arabic cards, the Saracen, the Mohammedan, or the beautiful Judean, games from the East and from Spain. The Marrano Jews kept their cards, and the old keys of their Spanish houses hanging on the doorposts of the Venetian doors, as if a promise of return for the diaspora willed by the Spanish Inquisition. Even in my own house there is a Spanish key from Toledo: my grandmother bequeathed it to me along with her ironic fatalism and a deck of Arab cards that are surely magic.

On the Fondamenta that goes towards the Madonna dell'Orto and San Marsilian there is a palace with a Teutonic cross, a rose and a stone camel. Perhaps many of these things will not suggest anything, but if you are Venetian in your heart, then you immediately understand that behind a Teutonic symbol there will be something mysterious, and a rose twisted around the cross will complicate the enigma even more. The addition of the camel then, will definitely seduce the inquisitive soul of a Venetian...

(Google translate - eul edited)

Last edited by a moderator:
THE BALLET

Tonight, the atmosphere is very powerful - it's the big night, première of our performance. During the final rehearsals this week, the electricity was palpable in the air, while I was dancing with Romeo, this time quite naked, our bodies exchanged high-voltage shocks.

Now I am only a few moments from my début as a prima ballerina (and what a début!), I am at the limit of my ability to accumulate tension ...

.... Romeo and Juliet: the crucifixion of a timeless love ...

Romeo and Juliet is a hot text to handle in Venice, it is often abused and made cloying, it is difficult to approach in a city where much so revolves around the theatre and the ballet, where the greatest dancers in history, the most famous choreographers and outstanding musicians, have all striven to interpret and perform it.

The Venetians know it so well, and look with scepticism on anyone who dares to tackle the Shakespearean drama. To expect a ballet as it is in Prokofiev's score is perhaps the wrong approach to appreciating the interpretation that Madame Chloé and our corps de ballet are seeking to present; a point of view that does not want to be just innovative, but different, posing ideas for reflection, and above all arousing emotions in the public.

The curtain opens, a black veil is revealed, which still conceals the stage. Behind it, two dancers can be perceived, they represent our poor souls, emerging from our lifeless bodies, moving as if in a magical limbo where our shapes are vague, our images flow , but then suddenly become more precise as our hands, arms and faces approach the veil. The music rises in intense scordatura, then suddenly, with a thunderclap, the veil splits open to reveal the scene.

We are already at the climax of the tragedy, my amazing "crucifixion", the culmination of my tormented love, the mirror of an eternal bond that fights against hatred and malice, but succumbs. The drama is about to be resolved here, right now, on this stage. The crucifixion of my impossible love is about to take place ...

The eyes of the spectators observe my naked body resting on a tangle of sticks. That is my grave, the tomb of love prevented by society and by overpowering hatred. In the thunderous silence of amazement, my lifeless limbs are hoisted onto a symbolic cross made of poles and supported by the dancers ... and so I leave the scene. The drama is already accomplished ... the audience watches, astounded.

The whole ballet begins from the end, in this arena without location, then ... (our bodies lie lifeless at the foot of the scenery that represents the tomb) ... with a murmur of wind, on an empty stage, with a walkway around the foot, a ramp, a promontory - the kingdom of the ferryman Charon, death - a journey through time begins,,,

We are in Verona, and a dancer armed with a long pole begins a delirious pirouette, in perpetual motion, a clock that goes backwards and returns to an indefinite time, which is not today, but where all stories begin, "once upon a time, a long time ago" ... in Verona.

The long curved ramp stands out on the stage, an inclined plane that allows one to see two levels of action in one scene, as well as the improvised balcony, on the same line of curvature that has been followed by the journey back in time.

And now the stage is crowded, the corps de ballet is revealed, in black clothes. It is a foretaste of what is going to happen, a dancing prologue that shows the two sides: Montagues and Capulets already dressed in mourning, with no heraldic livery, no distinctive tabards. The women are barefoot, and wearing light, contemporary clothes, the men are dancing in shirts, they are all part of the same world, both males and females follow exactly the same choreography, step by step.

We all know already how it will end: we are each of us any boy, any girl, who are moved like puppets in a world that forces us to follow conventions and strict social rules, to which tragically we cannot but submit.

In a dreamlike moment, we are brought to life, bright and shining, in this world, and we dance with other young people, a small crowd of like age, supporting one another, many friends who draw us closer together, guiding our steps and our contacts, we meet, we touch one another...

But here, with an explosion of the music of Prokofiev, the group is divided into two separate parts, which prevent us young lovers from approaching each other, so the story leads on to the rivalry between the factions, the prelude to an impossible love.

To the famous theme of the famous 'dance on pillows', a ‘ridda’ (a lively folk-style dance) develops in the angular and energetic language of ballet.

And now comes my solo: dressed in white veils, a tender adolescent, agitated in body and soul by my desire for love, longing to know to whom I shall dedicate it. With the musical leitmotiv, a medieval rondo, I entrust myself to destiny, to unknown, with eyes closed. There is a festive atmosphere all around, with splashes of colour in the costumes, but I am tense, prey to Eros - and Romeo, the enemy of my family, insinuates his appeal into my girlish heart. I am in the grip of a lucid, rational, madness, ready to offer the generous gift of myself, abandoning myself into the arms of my beloved, in spite of the vigilance of Tybalt, a harsh brother and strict controller, in a long ceremonial robe ...

Next comes a round dance, during the feast at the House of the Capulets, and the theme of the mandolins, which heralds the duel between Mercutio and Tybalt, between the grotesque and the facetious, but leading inexorably to the death of Mercutio - which happens, almost by chance, between jokes and laughter, clowning that ends up badly - but the hatred of Tybalt instead shows itself stiff and firm in the games of looks and in the snappy and nervous movements that sees the two face each other. The bodies are strong, steady, collide, they rise, their trunks are twisting and weaving around each other with fury and malice. A tangle of forces, jumps, triumph and defeat. The noise of revenge ... the silence of death that conquers... the clash of bodies, in which Romeo's bosom friend finds death, and so is born the hatred that drives the Montagues to claim vengeance for that broken life. But it is an ironic death, the end of Mercutio, as he collapses on the shoulders of his companions towards the wings.

The balcony of Juliet’s famous monologue is a ladder of human bodies, up which Romeo climbs to rise to reach me, without hesitation, without fear, in an encounter of emotions and impulses breathed in the tangle of soft embraces, below, above, filling every space. I am still wearing the stage costume, the white veils. Then the friend-servants of the scene bear me away along a path marked by long rods. The cohesion of the orchestra, playing in robust unison, is in constant contrast with the lacerating transgression of us two, doomed lovers.

And now the new bride appears, adorned only with a white veil, which rises gently to symbolise the sacred chapel in which the highest peak of our love comes to life, in secret, and purely, like my body that has been tenderly revealed in the scene of my embrace with the beloved Romeo. Now I am irremediably taken by him. We swear our love before heaven, with no ministers of God as intermediaries, enveloping one another. In our love idyll, where the eroticism of our bodies is displayed in all its naked innocence in a silent pas de deux: our bodies intertwine in the dim light, a light that preserves our modesty, the genuine modesty of the inexperienced young for whom who sex is experienced as something new in life, to be discovered with a certain shyness.

There is no music, only our caresses resound and the sliding of one body against the other, accompanied by the flow of the waters of the Adige, in the cascade between the rapids of Ponte Pietra. A moment that has no time, but that thrills with the infinite sweetness in which it takes place - a very different body to body contact from that of Romeo, who will be forced, in spite of himself, to kill Tybalt with his bare hands, in a Graeco-Roman contest, a real duel, desired by them both, where an innocent Romeo feels driven by the inexperienced vigour of youth to the fury of revenge.

At first the clumsy Romeo has difficulty in tackling Tybald, he is thrown, but puts an end to his adversary's life with a deep and well-aimed blow, the first death on stage. Death is revealed in flesh and blood, Charon, a black shadow, receives the corpse, while Romeo, lonely and and full of pain, faces the tragedy of his impossible love in a welter of blood. Death, with his face covered, embraces the body of the now extinct Tybalt and loads it on his shoulders, dragging him in a play of lights that makes him look like a shadow roaming across the stage.

The long veil that envelops death tears the city in two, the walls "outside of which there is no world" break, and so the feud between Montagues and Capulets grows even more rancorous and raw. Now, finding Romeo again, I am tormented by a new awareness of the evil that surrounds and conditions us. There is reproach, despair, even a gulf between us, but nevertheless invincible love, in this new pas de deux of lost innocence. The fragility of a forbidden love translates into rebellion against every new obstacle, of family and society.

Last edited by a moderator:
We swear our love before heaven, with no ministers of God as intermediaries, enveloping one another. In our love idyll, where the eroticism of our bodies is displayed in all its naked innocence in a silent pas de deux: our bodies intertwine in the dim light, a light that preserves our modesty, the genuine modesty of the inexperienced young for whom who sex is experienced as something new in life, to be discovered with a certain shyness.

Beautifully written ... :)

A single voice offstage accompanies our final embrace:

Wilt thou be gone? it is not yet near day -
It was the nightingale, and not the lark,
That pierced the fearful hollow of thine ear;
Nightly she sings on yon pomegranate-tree -
Believe me, love, it was the nightingale.
Yon light is not daylight, I know it, I,
It is some meteor that the sun exhales,
To be to thee this night a torch-bearer,
And light thee on thy way to Mantua -
Therefore stay yet; thou need'st not to be gone.

It is, it is: hie hence, be gone, away!
It is the lark that sings so out of tune,
Straining harsh discords and unpleasing sharps.
Some say the lark makes sweet division;
This doth not so, for she divideth us.
Some say the lark and loathèd toad change eyes,
O, now I would they had changed voices too!
Since arm from arm that voice doth us affray,
Hunting thee hence with “hunt's-up” to the day –

O, now be gone! More light and light it grows...

The news of Tybalt's death and the division in the city drive Romeo into exile. Now the girls and I tremble at the sound of the strings, deep inside our bodies. The pain is so great, so piercing, I lose all senses, collapse in the torpor of a seeming death. The porters lay me on their lifted poles, intertwined and turned into a funeral bier, my body is entwined with a cross of woven withies, the funeral procession makes me pass like a sleeping beauty away to one side of the stage.

Romeo appears, gazes in disbelief at the scene, finding me lying on the wood of the cross frozen, lifeless, overwhelmed by too much sorrow. There is a moment of infinite tenderness, but it is futile for him to try to reanimate me, raise me up, bring me back to life and motion. As elusive as a drop of water in hands hands, I slide from the arms of Romeo, I fall without resistance, my feeble body no longer responding to his warm embrace, remaining cold, helpless ...

And, oh! In this delirium of despair, Romeo sees the ghosts of Tybalt and Mercutio, dressed in black, now among the souls of the dead, calling to him from the afterlife. Romeo lets himself die, approaching them as step by step he begins to fail, the poison performing its dismal duty, leaving my Romeo spread on the ground a few steps from the opposite wings, far away from me.

I wake up, I see him - but I am alone, isolated, far from my beloved. Here the shadows surround me and lift me upward. In imagination the dagger that sinks into my flesh pushes me towards my Romeo, but his lifeless body remains far away, on the opposite side of the stage. And finally we remain motionless like statues of salt, mirrored in the same posture, far away from one another even when our hearts give their last beats in this world, one without the other...

The end of this tragedy, a picture of society for our time, as cruel as it is inexplicable.

Back
Top Bottom