Odds And Ends And Anything You Fancy

Go to CruxDreams.com
Some Ancient History unearthed. :rolleyes:

A giant penis statue — measuring an impressive 21 inches — has been unearthed by archaeologists in Sweden.

The girthy phallus might even have been used in blood sacrifices to a pagan fertility god, researchers said.

Dated to be from the Bronze Age, between 1800 and 500 BC, the penis rock was discovered during an excavation near Gothenburg.

It has been linked to a fertility cult, having been found alongside a lot of animal bones which hints that the area was used for sacrifice.

The lack of any human bones ruled out the theory that the phallus was a unique headstone.

Phallus-statue.jpg

Some Ancient History unearthed. :rolleyes:

A giant penis statue — measuring an impressive 21 inches — has been unearthed by archaeologists in Sweden.

The girthy phallus might even have been used in blood sacrifices to a pagan fertility god, researchers said.

Dated to be from the Bronze Age, between 1800 and 500 BC, the penis rock was discovered during an excavation near Gothenburg.

It has been linked to a fertility cult, having been found alongside a lot of animal bones which hints that the area was used for sacrifice.

The lack of any human bones ruled out the theory that the phallus was a unique headstone.

View attachment 756608
"Olav, what are we going to do with that ugly statue of a dog with a hat on?"
"Bury it!"

This is way off topic, but I wouldn't want anyone interested to miss the annual end-of-the-salmon-run celebration at the Katmai National Park in Alaska, USA: fat bear week.

This is way off topic, but I wouldn't want anyone interested to miss the annual end-of-the-salmon-run celebration at the Katmai National Park in Alaska, USA: fat bear week.

Frank you're never off topic here it's "Odds and Ends and Anything You Fancy" so if you fancy Bears go for it. I liked it. :D

One of the contestants. Apparently ready for hibernation, if only he/she is able to find a hole that fits.

Attachments

• FatBearWeek.pdf
    74.3 KB · Views: 12

The Herculaneum scrolls were buried and carbonized by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD. They were discovered in 1752 in an ancient Roman villa near the Bay of Naples believed to belong to the family of Julius Caesar. As such, they represent the only surviving library from antiquity.

The majority of the 1,800 scrolls are at the Biblioteca Nazionale di Napoli, although a few were offered as gifts to dignitaries by the King of Naples and wound up at the Bodleian Library at Oxford University, the British Library and the Institut de France.

The scrolls are too fragile to be opened. One of the papyrus, the so-called History of the [Plato] Academy, deemed to part of Philodemus’ large treatise Systematic Arrangement of the Philosophers, has ancient Greek text concealed on the back of the unrolled papyrus and it is been revealed using shortwave-infrared imaging. There is still long way to be able to read the full content of the papyrus.

Five other fragments will also be examined.

The Herculaneum scrolls were buried and carbonized by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD. They were discovered in 1752 in an ancient Roman villa near the Bay of Naples believed to belong to the family of Julius Caesar. As such, they represent the only surviving library from antiquity.

The majority of the 1,800 scrolls are at the Biblioteca Nazionale di Napoli, although a few were offered as gifts to dignitaries by the King of Naples and wound up at the Bodleian Library at Oxford University, the British Library and the Institut de France.

The scrolls are too fragile to be opened. One of the papyrus, the so-called History of the [Plato] Academy, deemed to part of Philodemus’ large treatise Systematic Arrangement of the Philosophers, has ancient Greek text concealed on the back of the unrolled papyrus and it is been revealed using shortwave-infrared imaging. There is still long way to be able to read the full content of the papyrus.

I read that people have been able to make out letters using an X-ray laser on the Herculaneum scrolls (I guess the technique is akin to tomography) but they haven't been able to do anything effective. One hopes that it will be worked out. Optics is a burgeoning, creative field. There should be a lot of interesting stuff in those scrolls.

Julius Caesar's unpayed bills? :confused:

Probably, although it is said that he was stabbed by his debtors trying to evade to pay what they owned to Julius.
Ever since, in some parts, not paying a debt is regarded as a stabbing in the back...

Et tu, Eva?

ok change of topic, who was taught by nuns? It's not so easy to find them in Australian schools these days, but even when I was young I don't remember them looking like this . . . .

naked-nun-on-the-floor-1280x720.jpgjnun3.jpgnun16.jpgjnun12.jpgjnun13.jpgscaled_full_34844437707b838de0bd.jpgF8C8F83.jpgoQ0DFeQ.jpgNaked_Celebrity_Lesbian_Nuns.jpgNude_Celebrity_Nuns_pic.jpg

Back
Top Bottom