Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38900572
Hans Rosling, possibly the most entertaining statistician on the planet (no that is not a typo he really was a statistician) has died aged 68. :(
Yes, I heard a podcast of an interesting lecture about 'fake news'
by Tim Harford, another entertaining statistician
('Undercover economist' in The Economist, and presenter of 'More or Less' on BBC R4)
the following day in which he paid tribute to Hans Rosling.
I used to listen to 'More or Less' in my lunch-break when it was on after the midday news,
it was very, very good at taking apart statistics in the news
and showing how they're (ignorantly or intentionally) misused
then the BBC pushed it to mid-afternoon -
to allow politicians another 15 minutes to (ignorantly or intentionally) misuse statistics! :mad:

Yes, alas these persons are generally non-grata during the main hours of radio'programs ...:(
..and Tree all the time...

In the US we have unempl0yment statistics. The one most reported is the 'U-3' that shows how many are unemployed. Anything under 5% is considered nearing 'full employment' as some will always be 'between jobs'. During the last months of Obama's 1st term and during the last election (2016) the 'U-3' plunged. On my 'Conversations' thread I had pointed out the 'U-6' ('Working but not full-time' or 'Working but below their qualifications') was at an all-time high. The press never mentioned that until less than a month after we have a new president.

The passing tonight (Pacific, Mo. time) is journalism with integrity. To my knowledge the US is the only country ( and certainly the first) to constitutionally grant and protect the freedom of the press. The US media is squandering this bold right to be a political hack and do not understand why their readership is falling...

Part of it is new tech but most has to with when they print crap they get called out and they are losing any symbolize of credibility...

Tree

..and Tree all the time...

In the US we have unempl0yment statistics. The one most reported is the 'U-3' that shows how many are unemployed. Anything under 5% is considered nearing 'full employment' as some will always be 'between jobs'. During the last months of Obama's 1st term and during the last election (2016) the 'U-3' plunged. On my 'Conversations' thread I had pointed out the 'U-6' ('Working but not full-time' or 'Working but below their qualifications') was at an all-time high. The press never mentioned that until less than a month after we have a new president.

The passing tonight (Pacific, Mo. time) is journalism with integrity. To my knowledge the US is the only country ( and certainly the first) to constitutionally grant and protect the freedom of the press. The US media is squandering this bold right to be a political hack and do not understand why their readership is falling...

Part of it is new tech but most has to with when they print crap they get called out and they are losing any symbolize of credibility...

Tree
What i safe understand, i agree. The medial situation in GER is the same. Down sinking sell newspapers, from quarter to quarter. and i mean, the cassical media (print and TV, Radio) not more a pillar of democracy.

I am late with this but one of the most known liberal voices in the US died more than a week ago. I seldom agreed with him (and I suppose he did with me) but he was a principled man. I had the pleasure to meet him once. If you saw him on TV you would think he was a wiry little shrimp but while I'm 6' tall he stood nearly ahead above me. He was still wiry but so am I.

So to Alan Colmes... Rest in peace...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Colmes

Tree

Nobel laureate, poet and playwright Derek Walcott dead, aged 87

Roman Outposts

for Pat Strachan

The thought-resembling moonlight at a cloud’s edge
spreads like the poetry of some Roman outpost
To every corner of the Silver Age.
The moon, capitol of that white empire, is lost
in the black mass. Now, the hot core is Washington,
where once it was Whitehall. Her light burns
all night in office like Cato’s ghost,
a concentration ringed with turbulence.
The wet dawn smells of seaweed. On this seawall
where there was a pier once, the concrete cracks
have multiplied like frontiers on a map
of Roman Europe. The same tides rise and fall
froth the moon’s lantern hung in the same place.
On the sea road skirting the old Navy base,
the archeologist, with his backpack, crouching
to collect cowries, startles the carbon skeleton
impressed on earth like the gigantic fern
of Caterpillar tracks. By Roman roads
along the sea grapes, their leaves the size
of armor-plates, the stropped hangars rust
where once the bombers left for target practice;
breakers bring rumors of the nuclear fleet
to shells the washed-out blue of pirates’ eyes.

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry."
John Lennon, 1972.
"If he'd been white, he would have been the King of Rock and Roll."
My brother Bert, earlier tonight.

Respects to Bert, but what do you mean " If " ?
Black, white or purple, he WAS the King of Rock n Roll.

(Follow that, Jerry-Lee!)

Last edited:
1 berry-chuck-adv-obit-slide-W3AH-videoSixteenByNine1050.jpg
Growing up in 'lily-white' south St. Louis my only contact with black people was with the 'garbage men' (now called 'Refuse Engineers). I went to my uncle's farm in Wentzville, Missouri, and a black man in Cadillac (unheard of in the early 60s!!!) pulled up.

My uncle introduced him to me and told his name was 'Chuck Berry'. This dumb 5 year old Twig shook his hand and saked if he was 'garbage man'.

He replied "No son, a garbage man has a real job!"

Chuck Berry often showed up unannounced and play at the Missouri Bar and Grill on N. 12th Street (now Tucker Blvd.) and I got to see him there. As late as last year he played at Blueberry Hill in the Delmar Loop area...

He was and always will be the father of rock and roll...

:oops::oops::oops:

Twig...

I mean Tree

View attachment 480420
Growing up in 'lily-white' south St. Louis my only contact with black people was with the 'garbage men' (now called 'Refuse Engineers). I went to my uncle's farm in Wentzville, Missouri, and a black man in Cadillac (unheard of in the early 60s!!!) pulled up.

My uncle introduced him to me and told his name was 'Chuck Berry'. This dumb 5 year old Twig shook his hand and saked if he was 'garbage man'.

He replied "No son, a garbage man has a real job!"

Chuck Berry often showed up unannounced and play at the Missouri Bar and Grill on N. 12th Street (now Tucker Blvd.) and I got to see him there. As late as last year he played at Blueberry Hill in the Delmar Loop area...

He was and always will be the father of rock and roll...

:oops::oops::oops:

Twig...

I mean Tree
What a great memory you have Tree!

Roger Pingeon (1940-2017). Former cyclist, winner of the Tour de France in 1967. He also won the Vuelta in 1969.

Pingeon is the third former winner of the Tour to pass away in less than 3 months, after Ferdy Kübler (winner 1950) and Roger Walkowiak (winner 1956).

Assisted in those days by nothing more performance-enhancing than water?
A glass of brown beer with an egg shaken in it, could do miracles those days.;)

We never know. Anyway, the Tour of 1967 was the edition during which Tom Simpson died on the Mont Ventoux. Amphetamines are generally accepted as one of the contributing causes.

Chuck Barris, creator of the 'Gong Show' at 87. The arts may not have lost a giant but a very funny guy...

Back
Top Bottom