Public Executions In The Arena

Go to CruxDreams.com
View attachment 450633

MARGARETA OF ANTIOCHIA TORTURED AND EXECUTED

"Margareta was the daughter of a pagan priest at Antioch in Pisidia. She was converted to Christianity, whereupon she was driven from home by her father. She became a shepherdess and when she spurned the advances of Olybrius, the prefect, who was infatuated with her beauty, he charged her with being a Christian. He had her tortured and then imprisoned. The next day, after new tortures, attempts were made to execute her by fire and then by drowning, but she was miraculously saved and converted thousands of spectators witnessing her ordeal-all of whom were promptly executed. Finally, she was beheaded."

View attachment 450633 View attachment 450635 View attachment 450636 View attachment 450637 View attachment 450638 View attachment 450639
There are always advances and miracles in that kind of history
The picture : I guess it's her

7671206360_c8679cbb84.jpg

Crucifixion art. Artist: Josedacrux

female_crucified_on_a_crux_simplex_by_josedacrux-d5ymtsy.jpg japanese_crucifixion_of_a_slave_girl_by_josedacrux-d5yo6v0.jpg

Yes, Linkedin ... but I couldn't open ...;)
Thanks for sharing ...

AURELIA PETRONILLA IS TORTURED TO DEATH

“Aurelia Petronilla lived in Rome at the end of the Ist Century. She was a member of a patrician family, the Flavii. She fell victim to the persecution of Emperor Domitianus. She has been venerated as a virgin martyr at least since the Vth Century.

According to an old legend, Petronilla was arrested and imprisoned for being a Christian; a Roman official desired to marry her, but he had her tortured to death when she refused him.”

Gabriel Roman arena 261-1.jpg Petronilla - 051.jpg Petronilla - m_alsace1.jpg

SAINT NADEZHA SEVERLY SCOURGED DURING HER EXECUTION

“Nadezhda (Hope) was a very young Christian who lived in Italy. She had two sisters: Vera (Faith) and Liubov' (Love). Their mother, Saint Sophia (Wisdom), was a pious Christian widow. Having named her daughters with the names of the three Christian virtues, Saint Sophia raised them up in love for the Lord Jesus Christ. Saint Sophia and her daughters did not hide their faith in Christ and they openly confessed it before everyone. The official Antiochus made denunciation about them to the emperor Adrian (117-138), who ordered that they be brought to Rome. Realising that they would be taken before the emperor, the holy virgins prayed fervently to the Lord Jesus Christ, asking that He should send them the strength not to fear impending torture and death. When the holy virgins with their mother came before the emperor, everyone present was amazed at their composture: it seemed that they had been called out to some happy festivity, rather than to torture. Summoning the sisters in turn, Adrian urged them to offer sacrifice to the goddess Artemis. The young girls remained unyielding. Then the emperor gave orders to fiercely torture them. Nadezhda was fiercely scourged until her body was covered all over with bloody welts; then she was put into a cauldron filled with boiling tar. Her sisters received equally cruel treatment. Undergoing these torments, the holy virgins glorified their Heavenly Bridegroom and remained steadfast in the faith. The mother was forced to look upon the suffering of her daughters. But she displayed adamant courage and during this whole while she urged the girls to endure the torments in the Name of the Heavenly Bridegroom. All three maidens with joy met their martyr's end. They were finally beheaded.”

Gabriel Roman arena 262-1-.jpg Nadezhda-Spes 001a.jpg Nadezhda-Spes 002.jpg Nadezhda-Spes 003.jpg

SAINT NADEZHA SEVERLY SCOURGED DURING HER EXECUTION

“Nadezhda (Hope) was a very young Christian who lived in Italy. She had two sisters: Vera (Faith) and Liubov' (Love). Their mother, Saint Sophia (Wisdom), was a pious Christian widow. Having named her daughters with the names of the three Christian virtues, Saint Sophia raised them up in love for the Lord Jesus Christ. Saint Sophia and her daughters did not hide their faith in Christ and they openly confessed it before everyone. The official Antiochus made denunciation about them to the emperor Adrian (117-138), who ordered that they be brought to Rome. Realising that they would be taken before the emperor, the holy virgins prayed fervently to the Lord Jesus Christ, asking that He should send them the strength not to fear impending torture and death. When the holy virgins with their mother came before the emperor, everyone present was amazed at their composture: it seemed that they had been called out to some happy festivity, rather than to torture. Summoning the sisters in turn, Adrian urged them to offer sacrifice to the goddess Artemis. The young girls remained unyielding. Then the emperor gave orders to fiercely torture them. Nadezhda was fiercely scourged until her body was covered all over with bloody welts; then she was put into a cauldron filled with boiling tar. Her sisters received equally cruel treatment. Undergoing these torments, the holy virgins glorified their Heavenly Bridegroom and remained steadfast in the faith. The mother was forced to look upon the suffering of her daughters. But she displayed adamant courage and during this whole while she urged the girls to endure the torments in the Name of the Heavenly Bridegroom. All three maidens with joy met their martyr's end. They were finally beheaded.”

View attachment 454942 View attachment 454943 View attachment 454944 View attachment 454945
I hope, thats only a christian legend and Calumny of the Emperor Hadrian.
But put up in my collection.
The next Vera, Liubov an Sophia please.
;)

I hope, thats only a christian legend and Calumny of the Emperor Hadrian.

Not that Hadrian couldn't be cruel, but this is clearly an invention. Bishop J. B. Lightfoot convincingly excludes them (with a touch of British sarcasm) in his Apostolic Fathers (Part II, Vol. I [1889], 506-507).

The widow Sophia with her three Virgin daughters, Pistis, Elpis, and Agape, who suffered in Rome. The oil from their tombs is among those sent by Gregory the Great to Q. Theodolind ; but even here their unhistorical character betrays itself by the fact of their being twice mentioned, first as 'S. Sophiae cum tres filias suas' (sic), and then as 'S. Spei, S. Sapientiae, S. Fidis (sic), S. Caritatis', without any consciousness that they are the same persons, or rather the same impersonations. Their Acts appear in several forms (see Tillemont ii. p. 586). In the Greek Menaea (Sept. 17) they are stated to have suffered under Diocletian. Assuredly they did suffer again and again under him, as under other persecutors.​

Hadrian didn't care much about the sect, although he might've executed one of their ringleaders (AKA Popes :)), Telesphorus. Could've been under Antoninus Pius. There could've been isolated executions in the provinces of cult members who were either unlucky or too extreme for someone to make a formal delation. Now I think I might do a short story on that.

Not that Hadrian couldn't be cruel, but this is clearly an invention. Bishop J. B. Lightfoot convincingly excludes them (with a touch of British sarcasm) in his Apostolic Fathers (Part II, Vol. I [1889], 506-507).

The widow Sophia with her three Virgin daughters, Pistis, Elpis, and Agape, who suffered in Rome. The oil from their tombs is among those sent by Gregory the Great to Q. Theodolind ; but even here their unhistorical character betrays itself by the fact of their being twice mentioned, first as 'S. Sophiae cum tres filias suas' (sic), and then as 'S. Spei, S. Sapientiae, S. Fidis (sic), S. Caritatis', without any consciousness that they are the same persons, or rather the same impersonations. Their Acts appear in several forms (see Tillemont ii. p. 586). In the Greek Menaea (Sept. 17) they are stated to have suffered under Diocletian. Assuredly they did suffer again and again under him, as under other persecutors.​

Hadrian didn't care much about the sect, although he might've executed one of their ringleaders (AKA Popes :)), Telesphorus. Could've been under Antoninus Pius. There could've been isolated executions in the provinces of cult members who were either unlucky or too extreme for someone to make a formal delation. Now I think I might do a short story on that.
Thank for you investigations and answer. I dont know that, but i feel that.
Dammned! I and my feelings.

Their names are of course from 1 Corinthians 13:13:
And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
They're simply personifications of the three Christian Virtues.

the greatest of these is charity.
O'Caritas
hunc ornatum mundi nolo perdere - (this ornament of the world I do not want to lose).
video flagrare omnia res - (I see all things burning).
audio clamare homines - (I hear people shouting).
nunc exstinguitur mundi et astrorum lumen - (now the light of the world and the stars is put out).
nunc concipitur mali hominis crimen - (now is exposed the accusation of man's evil).
tristitate et lacrimis gravis est dolor - (with sadness and tears heavy is the grief).
de terraeque maribus magnus est clamor - (from the lands and the seas great is the noise).
O caritas, o caritas nobis semper sit amor - (O caritas, o caritas, may we always have love). nos perituri mortem salutamus - (we who are about to die salute death).
sola resurgit vita. - (only life reappears).
Ah, this world is burning fast.
Oh, this world will never last.
I don't want to lost it here in my time.
Give me time forever here in my time.​

Back
Top Bottom