Random picture thread. (Real photos rather than AI please)

Go to CruxDreams.com
Should I be more impressed by the skill or the stupidity?
1713200680606.png:confused:
This is not stupidity, assembly and repair work on high-voltage lines is carried out from helicopters without turning off the power. You can believe me, I was an electrical engineer.
This is being done to reduce the huge costs of a partial grid shutdown. The trees in forest areas that stand along high-voltage lines are also trimmed with huge saw blades hanging from helicopters.

Last edited:
This is not stupidity, assembly and repair work on high-voltage lines is carried out from helicopters without turning off the power. You can believe me, I was an electrical engineer.
This is being done to reduce the huge costs of a partial grid shutdown. The trees in forest areas that stand along high-voltage lines are also trimmed with huge saw blades hanging from helicopters.
Looks right indeed! But nevertheless, the maintenance man sitting in the draft of the rotor, and the rotors themselves so close to high voltage lines! It must be some job to keep that heli steady!
powerline1.jpgpowerline2.jpg

Looks right indeed! But nevertheless, the maintenance man sitting in the draft of the rotor, and the rotors themselves so close to high voltage lines! It must be some job to keep that heli steady!
View attachment 1461396View attachment 1461397
Once they approach the overhead wire, the man on the work platform must use an insulating rod to connect a copper cable attached to the helicopter to the cable. This means that the helicopter has the same potential as the overhead line. This means that no spark can jump. It's like a bird sitting on a power line doesn't die.
But the whole thing is of course dangerous.

Once they approach the overhead wire, the man on the work platform must use an insulating rod to connect a copper cable attached to the helicopter to the cable. This means that the helicopter has the same potential as the overhead line. This means that no spark can jump. It's like a bird sitting on a power line doesn't die.
But the whole thing is of course dangerous.
Yes indeed. Helicopters, in fact all aircraft, build up a large amount of static electricty while in flight. Aircraft with rubber tires don't automatically ground themselves and discharge that electricty when they land. Helicopters with metal skids do ground when landing, but it isn't foolproof and may or may not discharge completely. The UH1 heli that I flew on was known not to ground itself depending on the surface it touches. We had to make sure to ground the ground aircraft to a specific grounding rod whenever refueling. A spark jumping from and ungrounded open fuel cell to the fuel nozzle had a habit of ruinning your day.

It certainly opens up new horizons for novel forms of electro torture - while dangling from a highly-charged helicopter ..
OTOH, dangling @Barbaria1 from from a helicopter, and expecting her to successfully repair a 125,000 volt power line feels to me to be a triumph of hope over experience... :eek:

Back
Top Bottom