The Acts Of Julia Of Brixellum

Go to CruxDreams.com
PART 4 : AD 66

The Roman Empire, Rome, Nero’s circus.

After Julia had been dwelling around a while, trying to keep a low profile, soldiers and guards had driven the remaining people to the other side of the spina, where many crosses were still empty. Underway, all loincloths, including Julia’s, had been torn off by guards. Julia tried to ‘take cover’ in a group of people she recognized from having been locked up with. But she was not able to communicate with them, as they were occupied by their own fears. Julia felt like an outsider, and when she noticed executioners coming their way, she moved to another place. Behind her, the group was rounded up for execution. Julia heard them praying, while they were led to their crosses.

But her time was running out. Soon thereafter, a few guards had grabbed her. Realizing that it was her turn, she suddenly got panic stricken, and they had to draw her through the sand of the arena.

“Come on, it’s time!” one of the guards said.

Julia regained some of her composure and put herself on her feet again.

She was brought to a row of crossbars laying down. Two men had been tied to them already, while executioners were tying down two women. Then, it was Julia’s turn. Restrained by the ropes around her wrist, and her ankles tied together too, she had waited, in anxiety. Two more people were brought, another man and a woman were tied to them. Laying down, looking upward at the blue sky, the realm of heavens for the Christians. But all Julia could see was the black shadow of Caligula’s equestrian statue, with the Sun standing right behind his head, radiating like an aureole.

A party of executioners approached. One by one the victims on her row were nailed to the patibulum, which was raised on the stipes, to which the ankles were nailed. The screams of the victims were now frighteningly nearby. Julia saw three crosses being put up next to her, silhouetted black against the blue sky. Above her head she saw the victims writhing, she heard them cry of despair. Then, she saw shadows gathering around her. In a last glimpse she looked at the petrified head of Caligula, as if any help could come from there! Her lower arms were grabbed and a sharp point was pierced into the skin of her wrists. Terrified she looked to the left and to the right, just to feel the first nail piercing her right wrist in two swift blows. The left one was secured almost simultaneously. Dazzled by immense pain, she shouted and cursed. She saw the dead stone eyes of Caligula, looking down on her. Then, the statue moved. Her patibulum was raised up, her legs were grabbed, and another terrible nailing followed. It felt as if the whole crowd was looking at her. In the confusion she only saw laughing faces in the stands.

Strings of white and red flowers were attached to her cross.

After the ordeal of the nailing, Julia endured now the pain of hanging by her body weight to the nails. desperately, she sought for comfort. She tried to catch the situation around her. She watched the naked victims suffer on the crosses near her, she looked down at the arena, where the last of tens of condemned still dwelled around, vainly trying to hide in the wood of death, looking terrified at the world above them, the world of the crucified, the doomed to die, to which Julia now belonged too.

But they got rounded up one by one for execution.

In her life, Julia had witnessed numerous crucifixions, but never had she realized how terrible the pain of hanging to nails would ever feel! Never had she imagined how difficult it would be to breathe!

While she struggled on her cross, still more victims were nailed and more crosses were erected around her. The circus was a cauldron of pain.

While Julia hung several feet above the ground level of the circus, she practically faced the lowest levels of the stands. She saw the spectators enjoy every new crucifixion. She could not understand how people could find pleasure in the terrible agony of others.

Then, suddenly, something changed. The lamentations of the condemned around her got drowned by a noise arising from the stands. Trumpets sounded.

Cheering calls were heard in the circus. All looked at the ruler’s lodge, because he had appeared, the organizer of this horrifying show. Nero, the imperial actor who had himself, with an expert hand, arranged the preparations of this bloody feast. Decorated with all the signs of his dignity, dressed in an amethyst purple tunica, sitting in an ivory chair, he showed himself.

Next to him stood Nero’s Chief of Staff, Tigellinus, the Princeps’s faithful companion, his master of ceremonies on all the feasts. In front of him sat the beautiful Poppea Sabina, Neror’s rich, immoral, horny, but spiritual spouse. Left from the emperor’s lodge were the Vestals, in their white gowns, for the glorification of the event, while right, the most important senators were sitting. The background showed the imperial guards, with their dark brown shiny bronze breast harnesses.

Then, Julia noticed him, among the staff of Nero. And he has seen her. Malachius was there! And,… oh no, it is not true! That bitch… had come!

(to be continued)

PART 4 : AD 66

After Julia had been dwelling around a while, trying to keep a low profile, soldiers and guards had driven the remaining people to the other side of the spina, where many crosses were still empty. Underway, all loincloths, including Julia’s, had been torn off by guards. Julia tried to ‘take cover’ in a group of people she recognized from having been locked up with. But she was not able to communicate with them, as they were occupied by their own fears. Julia felt like an outsider, and when she noticed executioners coming their way, she moved to another place. Behind her, the group was rounded up for execution. Julia heard them praying, while they were led to their crosses.

But her time was running out. Soon thereafter, a few guards had grabbed her. Realizing that it was her turn, she suddenly got panic stricken, and they had to draw her through the sand of the arena.

“Come on, it’s time!” one of the guards said.

Julia regained some of her composure and put herself on her feet again.

She was brought to a row of crossbars laying down. Two men had been tied to them already, while executioners were tying down two women. Then, it was Julia’s turn. Restrained by the ropes around her wrist, and her ankles tied together too, she had waited, in anxiety. Two more people were brought, another man and a woman were tied to them. Laying down, looking upward at the blue sky, the realm of heavens for the Christians. But all Julia could see was the black shadow of Caligula’s equestrian statue, with the Sun standing right behind his head, radiating like an aureole.

A party of executioners approached. One by one the victims on her row were nailed to the patibulum, which was raised on the stipes, to which the ankles were nailed. The screams of the victims were now frighteningly nearby. Julia saw three crosses being put up next to her, silhouetted black against the blue sky. Above her head she saw the victims writhing, she heard them cry of despair. Then, she saw shadows gathering around her. In a last glimpse she looked at the petrified head of Caligula, as if any help could come from there! Her lower arms were grabbed and a sharp point was pierced into the skin of her wrists. Terrified she looked to the left and to the right, just to feel the first nail piercing her right wrist in two swift blows. The left one was secured almost simultaneously. Dazzled by immense pain, she shouted and cursed. She saw the dead stone eyes of Caligula, looking down on her. Then, the statue moved. Her patibulum was raised up, her legs were grabbed, and another terrible nailing followed. It felt as if the whole crowd was looking at her. In the confusion she only saw laughing faces in the stands.

Strings of white and red flowers were attached to her cross.

After the ordeal of the nailing, Julia endured now the pain of hanging by her body weight to the nails. desperately, she sought for comfort. She tried to catch the situation around her. She watched the naked victims suffer on the crosses near her, she looked down at the arena, where the last of tens of condemned still dwelled around, vainly trying to hide in the wood of death, looking terrified at the world above them, the world of the crucified, the doomed to die, to which Julia now belonged too.

But they got rounded up one by one for execution.

In her life, Julia had witnessed numerous crucifixions, but never had she realized how terrible the pain of hanging to nails would ever feel! Never had she imagined how difficult it would be to breathe!

While she struggled on her cross, still more victims were nailed and more crosses were erected around her. The circus was a cauldron of pain.

While Julia hung several feet above the ground level of the circus, she practically faced the lowest levels of the stands. She saw the spectators enjoy every new crucifixion. She could not understand how people could find pleasure in the terrible agony of others.

Then, suddenly, something changed. The lamentations of the condemned around her got drowned by a noise arising from the stands. Trumpets sounded.

Cheering calls were heard in the circus. All looked at the ruler’s lodge, because he had appeared, the organizer of this horrifying show. Nero, the imperial actor who had himself, with an expert hand, arranged the preparations of this bloody feast. Decorated with all the signs of his dignity, dressed in an amethyst purple tunica, sitting in an ivory chair, he showed himself.

Next to him stood Nero’s Chief of Staff, Tigellinus, the Princeps’s faithful companion, his master of ceremonies on all the feasts. In front of him sat the beautiful Poppea Sabina, Neror’s rich, immoral, horny, but spiritual spouse. Left from the emperor’s lodge were the Vestals, in their white gowns, for the glorification of the event, while right, the most important senators were sitting. The background showed the imperial guards, with their dark brown shiny bronze breast harnesses.

Then, Julia noticed him, among the staff of Nero. And he has seen her. Malachius was there! And,… oh no, it is not true! That bitch… had come!

(to be continued)
"Dazzled by immense pain"

Nice, Loxuru! :)

"But all Julia could see was the black shadow of Caligula’s equestrian statue, with the Sun standing right behind his head, radiating like an aureole."

I love your use of imagery and irony here. Great writing!

PART 5 : AD 2071

The office of the rector magnificus.

“Professor Bersel, your appeal against the decision of the Dean to follow the advice of the Board of Peers has been denied. Your sources are a 13th or 14th century story. There is no proof of any connection with authentic Roman sources. This carelessness in verifying your sources is unscientific and we cannot allow to have it published on behalf of our university!”

“In the Thirteenth or Fourteenth Century, no one, I mean no one, would have dared writing down such thoughts! No one! The grip of the Church on daily life was much too strong for that. Religion was in all the people’s heads. It was part of their mind!”

“Shall we call that a bias or an unfounded presumption, or a very broad generalization from your side professor Bersel? Maybe that was the general state of mind of the illiterate majority of the population at the time, of the large masses of poor people who were struggling for survival every day. But you cannot speak for every schooled individual, professor! By the way, you contradicting yourself! One could wonder whether anyone would have dared copying it in that era! From our prejudices about these times, one would expect its source document would rather have been destroyed as a blasphemy!”

“But..”

“Professor Bersel, we are not here to discuss the content of your theory, or, more precisely, your doubtful, your very doubtful hypothesis. That is a closed case! We are here to talk possible disciplinary measures you could expose yourself to!”

“What disciplinary measures!? I am not biased! And I still have the right to express my opinion!”

“Professor! We have been clear! These stories should not be disclosed to the public, neither by the official scientific media, nor under a popularized form. I forbid you to publish them under your own name as a private person! If you nevertheless would do so, I will take disciplinary measures!”

“I strongly protest, Sir!”

“Professor! As a university, we are not working in an ivory tower. We are part of society, whether you like it or not. Society funds us. What we do should always be socially relevant!”

“Always with a margin of independence! Society should not dictate the outcome of our research work!”

“To some extent, professor, you are right, but only to some extent! We must be realistic, and never rule out some influence by politics! We are funded by society, by tax payer’s money. Consequently, the government, on behalf of those tax payers, has a voice in the debate!”

“But why? This story could throw another light on the historical interpretation of….”

“Professor, don’t you ignore something crucial? The past three decades, Europe has gone through a terrible religious and political conflict. We have seen civil wars, street fighting, terrorism, atrocities. Bands of armed men wandering around, looting, raping, murdering, in the name of their faith or their opinion! People talked about a second Thirty Years War! Fortunately, it did not last that long until peace was made, plus years to let it settle down. We have had peace again the last years, we have been cleaning up the rubble and we have rebuilt our society, both materially and mentally. We actually are still rebuilding it, that work is not yet finished! We did the hard effort of restorative justice! People have learned to forgive, to reconcile, to coexist in peace again. I tell you this! There is peace, there is stability, now! But Europe is not ready yet for provocative discussions, regardless how intriguing or fascinating they may be. There is still fear that a spark could ignite the conflict again!“

“You are exaggerating, Sir!”

“Maybe, I am, professor Bersel! But I let to history the judgment about that! I do not speak on behalf of myself, even not on behalf of the university only. I speak on behalf of society, my position as rector magnificus is more than just managing this university. It also brings about a more general social responsibility. I also must convey the viewpoint of the powers that be in our society, to this institution! Yes, professor, call it politics, dismiss it as politics, but politicians have a responsibility to society too! They are not eager to let things explode again. They work hard to avoid it! No one wants to get drawn into a new bloody conflict, just for some cause of academic freedom. We all want our society back where people live in peace and prosperity, without the deadly threats of conflict hanging all around. We want to save and preserve peace and protect people against harms! So that we can fully restore our constitutional civil rights and liberties in a measurable future. And I tell you! We have consulted religious authorities about this specific matter and they agree! None of the leaders of any religious community thinks of grabbing any opportunity to stir up the conflict in their own interest. They all want peace. They all support our decision not to allow the publication of your paper!”

“What have religious instances to do with my case!?” The constitution still guarantees separation of state and church!"

“The religious instances have given no orders, Julia, they have given an advice, a non-binding advice! But we consider it a good advice and we follow it! The University does not want it published because it does not meet the standards of good research practice, society does not want it because it is provocative and therefore undesired!”

“This is outrageous! Are they dictating us!?”

“Julia! Do not be naïve! Separation of state and church is not a liberal value! It has existed all the time, since Emperor Constantine the Great legalized Christianity in the Roman Empire. Separation of church and state exists, because it had always been tolerated by the church! Because the church had judged the benefits of separation prevailed over the disadvantages of it! Think abaout that! The discussion is closed, professor Bersel, you can leave now! And remember : no publication!”

Julia left the office, disappointed. The worst was, that the rector magnificus was right about the separation of church and state. Julia of Brixellum had predicted it two thousand years ago.

(to be continued)

PART 5 : AD 2071

The office of the rector magnificus.

“Professor Bersel, your appeal against the decision of the Dean to follow the advice of the Board of Peers has been denied. Your sources are a 13th or 14th century story. There is no proof of any connection with authentic Roman sources. This carelessness in verifying your sources is unscientific and we cannot allow to have it published on behalf of our university!”

“In the Thirteenth or Fourteenth Century, no one, I mean no one, would have dared writing down such thoughts! No one! The grip of the Church on daily life was much too strong for that. Religion was in all the people’s heads. It was part of their mind!”

“Shall we call that a bias or an unfounded presumption, or a very broad generalization from your side professor Bersel? Maybe that was the general state of mind of the illiterate majority of the population at the time, of the large masses of poor people who were struggling for survival every day. But you cannot speak for every schooled individual, professor! By the way, you contradicting yourself! One could wonder whether anyone would have dared copying it in that era! From our prejudices about these times, one would expect its source document would rather have been destroyed as a blasphemy!”

“But..”

“Professor Bersel, we are not here to discuss the content of your theory, or, more precisely, your doubtful, your very doubtful hypothesis. That is a closed case! We are here to talk possible disciplinary measures you could expose yourself to!”

“What disciplinary measures!? I am not biased! And I still have the right to express my opinion!”

“Professor! We have been clear! These stories should not be disclosed to the public, neither by the official scientific media, nor under a popularized form. I forbid you to publish them under your own name as a private person! If you nevertheless would do so, I will take disciplinary measures!”

“I strongly protest, Sir!”

“Professor! As a university, we are not working in an ivory tower. We are part of society, whether you like it or not. Society funds us. What we do should always be socially relevant!”

“Always with a margin of independence! Society should not dictate the outcome of our research work!”

“To some extent, professor, you are right, but only to some extent! We must be realistic, and never rule out some influence by politics! We are funded by society, by tax payer’s money. Consequently, the government, on behalf of those tax payers, has a voice in the debate!”

“But why? This story could throw another light on the historical interpretation of….”

“Professor, don’t you ignore something crucial? The past three decades, Europe has gone through a terrible religious and political conflict. We have seen civil wars, street fighting, terrorism, atrocities. Bands of armed men wandering around, looting, raping, murdering, in the name of their faith or their opinion! People talked about a second Thirty Years War! Fortunately, it did not last that long until peace was made, plus years to let it settle down. We have had peace again the last years, we have been cleaning up the rubble and we have rebuilt our society, both materially and mentally. We actually are still rebuilding it, that work is not yet finished! We did the hard effort of restorative justice! People have learned to forgive, to reconcile, to coexist in peace again. I tell you this! There is peace, there is stability, now! But Europe is not ready yet for provocative discussions, regardless how intriguing or fascinating they may be. There is still fear that a spark could ignite the conflict again!“

“You are exaggerating, Sir!”

“Maybe, I am, professor Bersel! But I let to history the judgment about that! I do not speak on behalf of myself, even not on behalf of the university only. I speak on behalf of society, my position as rector magnificus is more than just managing this university. It also brings about a more general social responsibility. I also must convey the viewpoint of the powers that be in our society, to this institution! Yes, professor, call it politics, dismiss it as politics, but politicians have a responsibility to society too! They are not eager to let things explode again. They work hard to avoid it! No one wants to get drawn into a new bloody conflict, just for some cause of academic freedom. We all want our society back where people live in peace and prosperity, without the deadly threats of conflict hanging all around. We want to save and preserve peace and protect people against harms! So that we can fully restore our constitutional civil rights and liberties in a measurable future. And I tell you! We have consulted religious authorities about this specific matter and they agree! None of the leaders of any religious community thinks of grabbing any opportunity to stir up the conflict in their own interest. They all want peace. They all support our decision not to allow the publication of your paper!”

“What have religious instances to do with my case!?” The constitution still guarantees separation of state and church!"

“The religious instances have given no orders, Julia, they have given an advice, a non-binding advice! But we consider it a good advice and we follow it! The University does not want it published because it does not meet the standards of good research practice, society does not want it because it is provocative and therefore undesired!”

“This is outrageous! Are they dictating us!?”

“Julia! Do not be naïve! Separation of state and church is not a liberal value! It has existed all the time, since Emperor Constantine the Great legalized Christianity in the Roman Empire. Separation of church and state exists, because it had always been tolerated by the church! Because the church had judged the benefits of separation prevailed over the disadvantages of it! Think abaout that! The discussion is closed, professor Bersel, you can leave now! And remember : no publication!”

Julia left the office, disappointed. The worst was, that the rector magnificus was right about the separation of church and state. Julia of Brixellum had predicted it two thousand years ago.

(to be continued)

Yep, things never really change, do they? Ummmmm, by the way, what kind of punishment was he talking about anyway? I don't believe he said.

There seems to be quite a tendency on the part of University administrators to be portrayed in a negative light here. Maybe one of them will show up and mount some kind of defense of the profession.
I've always wanted to use this one: :flypig: :flypig: :flypig: :D

PART 6 : AD 66

Julia grew up in Brixellum, a small town in the Pados valley in Northern Italy. She enjoyed a happy youth. But all that changed when she heard her father had the intention to marry her to an older senator, a matter of ‘politics’. Julia had to travel to Rome to be prepared for her new life. From the first encounter, she disgusted her future husband. Furthermore, she learned that her role in his household would be merely restricted to being a piece of furniture in the domus and a sex toy in the senator’s bed. Even a role as domina in the house would her be denied. The senator’s sister held that leading position, and she had immediately made clear to Julia that she did not intend to give it up.

So, Julia had done something unheard : running away. Her decision had forced her to leave Italy, on the run for a marriage she did want, but most of all for the anger of her father. She finally had arrived in Jerusalem.

For some time, Julia had found shelter among a group of followers of a certain rabbi with some weird ideas (although Jerusalem seemed to be full of rabbi’s with weird ideas). The reason why she did so, was he disgust from her forced marriage and in general, her discontent with the way Roman society treated its women. Rome was a patriarchal society, in which women had hardly any rights. She found the legal inequality stunning. The followers of that rabbi on the other hand were much more inclined to equality between man and woman, and it was that ideal that had attracted her.

Shortly after Julia’s arrival Jerusalem, that weird rabbi had been crucified. Julia had hardly known him, but out of curiosity, she had followed the march to the Golgotha. From all the many crucifixions she had witnessed, this one had been the most remarkable, she remembered. Of course unless this one, in Nero’s circus, her own actually…

Julia had found some of their ideas attractive. Besides the ideas of gender equity, they preached a peaceful way to settle conflicts. But the idea of an eternal afterlife had less appeal to Julia. It did not sound convincing to her.

Only years later, Julia would dare return to Rome. Both the senator, his sister and her father had died in the meantime. Her mother was still alive, and managed to have her accepted on the court of Claudius. Meanwhile, she had discovered that the Christian religion had found its way to Rome. A fact from which she simply took notice, although she sometimes met a few of them.

All her life, Julia had been a survivor, but now, her luck had run out.

In the arena, the nailing was over. All were crucified.

Death was imminent in this wood of crosses. There must have been some three hundred condemned at least. Three hundred people slowly dying in the hot cauldron that was the arena, as the Sun stood high in the sky. The sand on the ground and the marble of the walls radiated heath that made breathing heavy. It felt as if there was not enough air for the three hundred condemned. The strings of flowers around the crosses could not hide that the hot air carried the stench of sweat and bodily fluids of the tens of people. The heavy air was an extra burden during Julia’s painful struggle on the cross, her writhing up and down in a vain effort to seek comfort and to ease her breathing, hampered by her upstretched arms. In order to save space, the crosses only had a rather short patibulum.

The stands of the circus were still crowded. They were really a place of public gathering. Thousands of people talking, eating and drinking, laughing. How could they eat in front of this gruesome spectacle, Julia wondered?

Meanwhile, around her, she saw strange acceptance all around. There was moaning of pain, but no more cursing or shouting. There was praying. Were they exhausted by the pain and heat, or was the resignation instigated by their prospect to be with their God soon? Julia was looking forward to nothing, but the accepting mood of her hundreds of companions made herself accept her fate too.

Although it would have been a little bit less difficult, if Livia had not been there.

(to be continued)

Death was imminent in this wood of crosses. There must have been some three hundred condemned at least. Three hundred people slowly dying in the hot cauldron that was the arena, as the Sun stood high in the sky. The sand on the ground and the marble of the walls radiated heath that made breathing heavy. It felt as if there was not enough air for the three hundred condemned. The strings of flowers around the crosses could not hide that the hot air carried the stench of sweat and bodily fluids of the tens of people.

Easily visualized ... nice description!

Meanwhile, around her, she saw strange acceptance all around. There was moaning of pain, but no more cursing or shouting. There was praying. Were they exhausted by the pain and heat, or was the resignation instigated by their prospect to be with their God soon? Julia was looking forward to nothing, but the accepting mood of her hundreds of companions made herself accept her fate too.

Nice touch ... what could they do? Nothing but feel resigned to their fate, and put whatever spin on it they wished.

PART 7 : AD 2071.

The University. Prof. Julia Bersel’s office.

“Julia! I shall give for once my personal opinion about that story of yours! We both know that the Gospel of Nicodemus is since long considered as not an authentic document! It postdates all other gospels. The Gospel of Nicodemus is a kind of fourth century popularization of the story, in which the author got carried away by his imagination! And then comes up some Thirteenth or Fourteenth century manuscript in which suddenly a third part of that Gospel shows up, with the so-called Acts of Julia of Brixellum! Don’t you understand that it is completely ridiculous to attribute any authenticity to that?”

“You cannot persuade me about it! I am convinced the source is authentic!”

“Julia! Think! It is more than about a discussion between authenticity and fantasy! The content of the Acts of Julia of Brixellum is pure blasphemy! It is very provocative! It will offense people! It will disturb people! Powerful people!”

“That is nonsense!”

“It is no nonsense, Julia!”

“What are you afraid for!?”

“Listen, Julia! The rector, me, the other lectors, they are not only afraid about the reputation of the university. There is more at stake.”

“What is the problem?”

“We all risk prosecution. We could be held responsible for a publication that could be interpreted as provocative. The ‘University’ is a legal corporation, but prosecutors can go after the people who run that corporation, because they have assumed responsibility to run it. The university may even be ordered to shut down!”

“It looks to me rather that you people in the first place want to be good and docile servants of the system, at the expense of academic freedom. I honestly have the impression that you are most of all concerned about defending your positions.”

“No, Julia, that is not true! We would face a real risk to get prosecuted! Don’t you understand, Julia! If you would publish your paper, we shall have to do everything to isolate your case from the University, so that neither the institution nor one of use would be implicated!”

“I rather have the impression that you and the rector are in favor of the regime of the Three Powers. Some attitude for high ranked academics to adore dictators!”

“We do not adore dictators, Julia! We are pragmatic! The Three Powers give their citizens political stability! That is what matters, as a solid base for a better society! I have spoken to people from the Three Powers! They admit they live in an authoritarian regime, but there is progress, and all of them agreed that they have a better life now than ten or fifteen years ago. But meanwhile, the people there, and we, have to learn to live with the restrictions on our constitutional freedoms and rights! It is only temporary, remember. But it is for the common wealth! And the Governments have good reason to prosecute acts that may instigate trouble and unrest, Julia! And if any person should know here what trouble means, then it is you!”

“Exactly! And that is why I do not understand people like you submit to authoritarian regimes and do not fight all the way to have those liberties restored!”

“Julia! Get your feet on the ground! Academic freedom, free speech and liberties, that’s something for narcissists, for people seeking attention!”

Eventually the Dean left Julia’s office. Their discussion came to no point. It did not get better when, a few weeks later, the Dean angrily entered her office.

‘Beng’!

Julia looked astonished to the book, the Dean had thrown on the desk in front of her.

“What is this, Professor Bersel!?”

“That is a book, Sir!”

“I know it’s a book, Professor! To be exactly, a periodical! You have to explain something about it! Here! From page 43 on!”

“Why me?”

“Professor! Despite the strict interdiction of the University to publish these things, either as a scientific paper or as a popularized work, you did! Even worse, you gave it the most provocative title possible!”

“According to what I see, the paper was written by a certain Julia of Brixellum!”

“Do not treat us like idiots, professor. It is a copy of the paper you intended to publish. The texts are similar as in your draft!”

“So!?”

“This is a very serious offense! The University will take disciplinary measures against you! You will be suspended for three months and we will submit a file to have your removed from the University! Your file will then be submitted to the Department of Education.”

“There is no Julia of Brixellum working at the University! By the way, in order to fire me, you need a good reason! Suspension is the maximum, and I even can appeal against it”

“Professor!” the Dean said with an accusing voice, “every member of the Board of Peers is found ready to testify in court under oath that you had submitted a paper with the same subject, the same content and the same conclusions as there are in this….paper! Your pen name will not protect you!”

“Not quite a peer-like attitude from them. In court!? Aren’t we all peers, after all?”

“Yes, professor Bersel, in court! The peers of the Board of Peers are pissed off about the way you neglect regulations, procedures and agreements. Yes, you and all the lectors of the University, including the peers of the Board of Peers are peers! Theoretically! But somehow the peers of the Board of Peers are that little bit more peers than the other peers! Because these peers are members of the Board of Peers! Do you understand!?”

“Although it sounds a little bit complicated, I do! But why should that bunch of über-peers bring me to court?”

“Board of Peers, professor, not ‘Bunch of Peers! The Board of Peers will not bring you to court! I only said they are all prepared to testify against you! The fact of the matter is, that when a member of the faculty is charged with allegations that could lead to dismissal, a file has to be submitted to the Office of the Prosecutor, in order to allow them to verify whether the ground of the dismissal does not contain criminal charges!”

“Criminal charges? That is rubbish!”

“No, professor Bersel, it isn’t rubbish at all!”

“Wait a minute! You can only fire me if there are criminal charges against me. But now I hear if the University intends to fire someone, they simply put up a criminal case to back up their decision! I got the feeling you are putting things upside down, to frame me!”

‘No professor Bersel, we just follow the law.”

(to be continued)

Back
Top Bottom