The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
That would make a minute equal to 36 seconds (3,600 seconds to an hour). I think that would be a New York minute.;)
I don't think many clocks could measure seconds in the 1790s, so that might have been doable.
On the other hand, the 4 minute mile record would still be unbroken, as it would be 2.4 of our minutes. The current record is 3: 43.13 set by Hicham El Guerrouj in 1999.
Hold a bottle of Seagram's in front of me and I can beat that time!!!

G'night all...

Thanks guys for the treatise on time, I had no idea the systems went back that far. I think we will leave relativity to another day, it's too hot here in the Unwindy Pennines to do much thinking
If you are making fun of my cousins from NW Arkansas I can understand this. Otherwise leave my blue state relativity out of this!!!

Oxford is 51° 44' 60" N, 1° 15' 24" W. So Oxford Time is 5 minutes and 2 seconds behind Greenwich Time. At 9.05pm (9.00pm "Oxford Time") every evening Great Tom, Christ Church College's famous bell, rings out 101 times. This dates from the foundation of the college when the bell rang once for each of the college's original 101 students, in order to tell them to return to the college before the gates were locked. The bell then remains silent until 8am the next morning when it returns to striking every hour, on the hour (Greenwich Time) until 9pm in the evening.

I think all the ancient civilisations had some time-measuring technology - water clocks, candles, sundials etc.
and the division of the day and night into 12 hours each goes back a long way - apparently to ancient Egypt.
But of course the length of the day and night varies according to the seasons, even in Egypt,
much more in parts of the world nearer the poles.
It seems the Egyptians got over this by having 10 equal hours that could be measured by water-clocks,
with two variable hours of twilight each morning and evening.
The 'hours' mentioned in the Bible (e.g. in the account of the Passion) would have been one twelfth of the time from sunrise to sunset,
and the liturgical hours of the medieval monastic day and night were likewise variable.
It was only when chronometers were invented so sailors could determine longtitude
that the need for strictly fixed-length units became over-riding,
and only when railways began to cross the land did nations find a need to regularise their time-zones.

The rotation of the earth is slowing down. This is mainly due to the friction of the tides caused by the pull of the moon (the same reason the moon is gradually moving farther out). This force varies as well with continental drift reshaping the surface and thus varying the friction, so the slowdown isn't even "linear". So nothing that is done to define days and hours is going to be permanent. I have read of experiments in which people are cut off from the daily clues of light and dark by living in caves for a month or so, and their "circadian rhythms" don't cycle exactly 24 hours. (Of course, the control here is faulty because people who agree to do this and/or can tolerate are maybe atypical anyway?)
And, as someone mentioned, if you move too fast relative to the earth you screw it up as well. "What time is it?" becomes just one more controversy.
Of course then they schedule surgery for early in the morning when your "circadian rhythms" are in a down cycle and your chance of surviving is reduced--all for the convenience of doctors who have rounds during the day.

The rotation of the earth is slowing down. This is mainly due to the friction of the tides caused by the pull of the moon (the same reason the moon is gradually moving farther out). This force varies as well with continental drift reshaping the surface and thus varying the friction, so the slowdown isn't even "linear". So nothing that is done to define days and hours is going to be permanent. I have read of experiments in which people are cut off from the daily clues of light and dark by living in caves for a month or so, and their "circadian rhythms" don't cycle exactly 24 hours. (Of course, the control here is faulty because people who agree to do this and/or can tolerate are maybe atypical anyway?)
And, as someone mentioned, if you move too fast relative to the earth you screw it up as well. "What time is it?" becomes just one more controversy.
Of course then they schedule surgery for early in the morning when your "circadian rhythms" are in a down cycle and your chance of surviving is reduced--all for the convenience of doctors who have rounds during the day.
Does Frank have something here I should be concerned with or will I die before it happens???

What happens if I run the other way???

I am trying to help...

Does Frank have something here I should be concerned with or will I die before it happens???

What happens if I run the other way???

I am trying to help...
I thought you were a big Seagram's fan. Isn't that a preservative (probably has "flavinoids" as well to lower blood pressure)? So, yeah, you might have to worry. Or, you could move to a cave. Before 2016, the Cubs made runs at the pennant. One year "Tank McNamara" showed a guy in a Cubs hat coming up from a cave experiment. "They choked again, didn't they?" "Yeah, how did you know?" "Earth didn't move."

This is not a mustang. The question is would a modern Toyota or VW be able to outperform it? Would a string bikini and a modern Toyota or VW be able to outperform it? Maybe these questions can't be answered objectively.
Barb doesn't sit on Toyotas or VWs in a bikini. A vintage Caddy is an entirely different story.

Back
Top Bottom