The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
I'm just eager to share this, it's a lovely new image
'inspired' by my poem Crucifixa, by Dazinbane on DeviantArt!

View attachment 592512
The design on the shield is interesting. I came across somewhere a book on the history of all the various Roman legions (astounding that enough documentation has survived to allow someone to do that) and I assume the shields helped identify the units. I wonder whether soldiers were always the ones to crucify people--I think "private" (by slaveowners, say) crucifixions were done by contractors, and the army only got involved in political cases. That lends credence to the idea that Jesus was a "Zealot", or associated with them, and Pilate wasn't just catering to the whims of Jewish leaders. There is a novel called "The Gospel According to the Romans", which has this theme and depicts the tax-collector apostle Matthew as a Roman "mole" in Jesus' circle.

Thinking about what motivates other people and how far you can go without triggering a decisive conflict is what keeps the peace, not posturing and "righteousness"
Oh my!
politics!

That's a very important statement though.

Thinking about what motivates other people.

Vietnam had been subjected to a series of foreign overlordships, first Chinese, French, then Japanese. After World War II It was stupid of the French to believe that they could just pick things up again after the US had defeated Japan; it was more stupid of the US to take over the job of denying Vietnamese national self-determination after the defeat of the French. That it's been about self-determination is seen by the fact that nowadays, when a resurgent China is encroaching on the sovereignty of its neighbours ... Vietnam's oh so 'communist' government is suddenly inviting American aircraft carriers to Da Nang.

The United States did "win" the battle ... North Vietnam .... was willing to ... lose whatever was necessary to win that war .... The United States, by contrast, didn't have the strong "interests" the Vietnamese did

That pretty much sums recent Western military endeavors, the 'battles' are often won lopsidedly (Iraq, Afghanistan, Iraq again, Syria ....) but the actual outcomes are the exact opposite. Too little thinking in terms of what motivates other people.

It's not only an American problem though; the frictions we are seeing in Europe mostly result also, from too little thinking in terms of what motivates other people. That applies to the centrifugal forces in the EU, where the center in Brussels can't understand what people are motivated by in the periphery, and so cannot hold; the same often happens within individual countries, where government elites lose touch with what motivates their people, and also between the interests of the supposed economic heavyweights such as Germany, and the effects of their policies on those countries who have failed to sustain themselves in the eurozone.

LOOK, ARE YOU LOT GOING TO RATTLE ON ABOUT GEOPOLITICS ALL NIGHT? I'M TRYING TO GET AN ESPRESSO AND READ A FEW STORIES, AND IF YOU KEEP BORING THE SLAVEGIRLS AND INTERRUPT SERVICE, SOMEONE WILL FIND OUT WHAT MOTIVATES ME.
gr1.jpg

Well, it is a coffee shop. Maybe we should switch to discussing brewing craft beer or cheese making or something.
Or even crucifying women? Well I did try!
The design on the shield is interesting. I came across somewhere a book on the history of all the various Roman legions (astounding that enough documentation has survived to allow someone to do that) and I assume the shields helped identify the units. I wonder whether soldiers were always the ones to crucify people--I think "private" (by slaveowners, say) crucifixions were done by contractors, and the army only got involved in political cases. That lends credence to the idea that Jesus was a "Zealot", or associated with them, and Pilate wasn't just catering to the whims of Jewish leaders. There is a novel called "The Gospel According to the Romans", which has this theme and depicts the tax-collector apostle Matthew as a Roman "mole" in Jesus' circle.

Yes, I've wondered vaguely about the designs on legionaries' shields. I think there's a consensus among the experts that they weren't 'heraldic' in the medieval sense, though they might have been associated with individual legions, or maybe with the gods they hoped would favour them. And we're frequently advised by knowledgeable folk here that legionaries were very unlikely to have done the low-grade fatigue of crucifying people - even in political cases they would probably have been giving orders and keeping charge, but not doing the dirty work. Still, Dazinbane's image of what look like top brass having a look at me (one with a goblet of Falernian to sup) is delightfully flattering!

Or even crucifying women? Well I did try!

Yes, I've wondered vaguely about the designs on legionaries' shields. I think there's a consensus among the experts that they weren't 'heraldic' in the medieval sense, though they might have been associated with individual legions, or maybe with the gods they hoped would favour them. And we're frequently advised by knowledgeable folk here that legionaries were very unlikely to have done the low-grade fatigue of crucifying people - even in political cases they would probably have been giving orders and keeping charge, but not doing the dirty work. Still, Dazinbane's image of what look like top brass having a look at me (one with a goblet of Falernian to sup) is delightfully flattering!
Vague wonderings about shields???

They aren't 'heraldic'? What are they... heterosexual? This is more thought than I can manage...

...so I wish you all well and a good night! Till tomorrow...

T

Here it comes!

View attachment 593809

(no kidding, that was really the funeral of a Costa Coffee lover!)
That's remind me on our old GDR-Coffee-brands. "Kosta" was one of their (strong and spicy/aromatic).
csm_1028891769_22ac9a883c.jpg

Here it comes!

View attachment 593809

(no kidding, that was really the funeral of a Costa Coffee lover!)

So there was an article in USA Today about a recent obituary. "She abandoned her children." "The world is now a better place."
Taboos seem to be breaking down everywhere. Of course, this kind of thing would scare off advertisers. Revenue from your coffin could also help to mitigate the expenses to your estate. The issue seems complex to me.

Back
Top Bottom