The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
“seized” of the matter?

What does that mean?
I think in that context it means 'keep itself informed of, keep a close eye on'.
It's a legal expression, and more strictly means 'in legal possession of' -
it's a polite way of saying, 'we're the masters now' ;)

I'm curious that the Queen has been totally silent. I know it's a constitutional monarchy and she is not supposed to get involved in politics. That's fine for ordinary political issues-the budget, statutes, etc. But when the future of the nation is at stake, what use is a Head of State who sits there? Her father didn't just sit there during the war. Juan Carlos of Spain acted when a Francoist military coup threatened Spain's nascent democracy. She has a lot of respect (justifiably) and her good offices couldn't hurt.
That's exactly what I am thinking too already 2,5 years. After all, in a worst case, it is her heritage, the United Kingdom itself, that may fall apart. But all we hear from the direction of Buckingham Palace is the Harry and Meghan soap.

That's exactly what I am thinking too already 2,5 years. After all, in a worst case, it is her heritage, the United Kingdom itself, that may fall apart. But all we hear from the direction of Buckingham Palace is the Harry and Meghan soap.

If she did make a personal political statement, the whole of parliament would unite in condemning her for getting involved.

Oh, wait! Don't we need a united parliament to get out of this brexit mess?

I am no authority on European politics but it seems to me that being in the European union is taking away British sovereignty. I have seen other countrys forced to take in so called refugees who destroy local culture with their demands that locals change. It is happening here in America also but we are fighting against it. The damn liberals want to give OUR country away to illegals. I hope Great Britton keeps her majestic sovereignty.

British Airways flight mistakenly lands in Scotland instead of Germany

London (CNN) — Passengers on a British Airways flight from London's City Airport to Dusseldorf in Germany were met with a surprise Monday morning when their plane touched down -- in the Scottish capital, Edinburgh.

There are so many great comments available, I'm left speechless. I'll try to come back in a little while and comment.

In the meantime, do any of our UK (or Scotland) or German viewers have anything to add?

British Airways flight mistakenly lands in Scotland instead of Germany

London (CNN) — Passengers on a British Airways flight from London's City Airport to Dusseldorf in Germany were met with a surprise Monday morning when their plane touched down -- in the Scottish capital, Edinburgh.

There are so many great comments available, I'm left speechless. I'll try to come back in a little while and comment.

In the meantime, do any of our UK (or Scotland) or German viewers have anything to add?

Has to be a hoax ... fake news .. no one could screw up that badly.

I am no authority on European politics but it seems to me that being in the European union is taking away British sovereignty. I have seen other countrys forced to take in so called refugees who destroy local culture with their demands that locals change. It is happening here in America also but we are fighting against it. The damn liberals want to give OUR country away to illegals. I hope Great Britton keeps her majestic sovereignty.
Cynthia, I have for long minutes considered if and how I should respond to your post. I don´t want to open Pandora´s box. Just let me say that as much as I know the refugees problems are the least of all cause of the brexit discussions. First, the British have a lot more problems with there colonial heritage, second they are a long way distant from the endangered borders.
In reality it is about money. The United Kingdom - like Germany - is one of a few donor countries, who pay more to the EU than they get back in form of direct subsidies. It is very easy to overlook that the society and the economy as a whole gets back very much more than that. In the end both UK and Germany make very good money with the EU.
As far as foreigner are seen as a threat, brought about the EU, in the UK that would be the Sinti and Roma, mostly with Romanian and Bulgarian citizenship.
As both those nations are by now part of the EU, Sinti and Roma are free to live and work whereever they want. Lets just say that many people believe that Irish hobo are a nice folk in comparision.

Back
Top Bottom