The Fate of the Gotham Goth Girl, or Stan Goldman's First Case

Go to CruxDreams.com

Barb came down, freshly showered, her hair still damp, dressed in a T shirt and a fresh pair of shorts. She filled a glass with ice cubes and poured the remains of the morning’s tea from the pot into the glass, then plunked her tight little down onto one of the barstools at their kitchen island.

“OK, Goldman, I cut the grass. You got to ogle me, you got to brandish your whip in a lousy imitation of Simon Legree. Now, you owe me more of the Goth Girl story. I assume you found the boyfriend, right?”

“Very perceptive of you, Moore. Yes, we did. In fact it was simple to find him. Even you could have done it.”

“Very funny, Stan. How did you do it?”

“You remember on our flights coming back from overseas, right before they landed, they pass out these cards for customs?”

“Sure.”

“For those coming as tourists, they ask for your address in the US-a hotel, a B&B, the relative you’re visiting. She put an address in Brooklyn. Brownsville, a part that was kind of borderline back then. Along with the name of the person she was staying with there.”

“The boyfriend?”

“Bingo, Moore. You see, I told you even you could have found him. A guy named Billy Bob Something-or-Other or was it Bobby Bill? He was from Arkansas and had moved up to the big city to experience the thrills and culture that are unavailable to the denizens of Bugtussle. He found a place in Brooklyn and a job as a barista. This was in the early days of the gourmet coffee phenomenon, so he was getting in on the ground floor of a booming industry.”

Barb stared at Stan. “Billy Bob? Billy Bob from Arkansas? This is getting ridiculous, Goldman. Do you honestly expect me to believe this crap?”

“Suit yourself. Shall I go on?”

“Well, for one thing, she put his address on the customs card, so she had to have known him before she arrived in New York. How did a girl from England hook up with a guy from Arkansas who had moved to the Big Apple?”

“You mean Gotham City, right? That’s what we’re calling it in this story.”

Barb rolled her eyes. “Whatever…”

“Even high schools in Arkansas do exchanges. His did one with the school in Nottingham that she attended. It was a private school, though they call them public schools over there for some odd reason. Very strange country.”

“Stan, it all has to do with the kings and their history…”

“Hey, I know all about that. Remember when I played Henry VIII? I was pretty good, don’t you think?”

Barb laughed. “You had some funny lines, I admit. Too bad you didn’t write them. And I was terrific as Anne Boleyn.”

“Yeah, your screams on the rack were very realistic.”

“That wasn’t funny, Stan. I still feel twinges in my shoulders every now and then.”

“That could be from all the crucifixions also.”

“Could be. So Billy Bob and Sheena met at her school in Nottingham?”

“Yeah, and they were naughty.”

For some hard to fathom reason, Barb rolled her eyes again.

“This is jumping ahead a bit, but eventually we got his computer and the British cops got hers. They had been carrying on a hot and heavy correspondence. She wasn’t keen on visiting him in Arkansas-hard to understand, I know- but ,when he moved to New York, she decided she’d try to come. In both senses of the word.”

Barb rolled her eyes yet again.

Stan continued. “So, Benny and I go to his apartment. It’s in the basement of a run-down four story walk up. A dingy one bedroom apartment. Not too clean, no doubt plenty of roaches and rats and the like. But it was their love nest I guess, and love is blind.”

“It must be, since I’m still with you, Goldman.”

“Very funny, Moore. Anyway, we knock at the door. Billy Bob answers; he’s wearing a grungy T shirt and jeans. A scrawny kid, around the same age as the deceased. Plenty of tattoos and piercings but no Goth makeup. I guess they only put it on for special occasions.“

Stan continued. “So, Benny says: ‘We’re looking for Sheena Rawlings, from England. We understand she was staying here.’ All the blood drains from the kid’s face, like he’s seen a ghost.”

“’She left a few days ago,’ he says. ‘She told me she was going back to London.’ The kid is a really lousy liar.”

“Most of the people we arrested were,” Barb said.

“True,” Stan replied. “But even in that league, he was a cellar-dweller. So, I said to him, ‘Unfortunately, she didn’t make it back to Jolly Old England. Her body was found in an alley in the Bronx.’ And our Billy Bob breaks down. Gallons of tears. ‘What a horrible shock! That’s impossible!”

“He didn’t have you fooled, I take it?” Barb asked.

“Not for a New York minute, which as you know is like 15 seconds. Benny says, ‘We believe you may have been the last person to see her alive, so we’d like you to come down to the station so we can go over a few details.”

“Nothing to worry about, kid, just a friendly little chat,” Barb says.

“You got it. At this point, he’s not under arrest, so we don’t even have to give him his Miranda warning. In case he feels chatty in the car.”

“I like that,” Barb says. “I don’t suppose he talked just yet, though.”

“No, not yet. Speaking of talking, I’m getting talked out. How about some lunch?”
Gotta have at least a little Scottish in her somewhere with a name like Sheena - and possibly last seen wearing a Raspberry Beret!

Also can't believe that the dark, ominous, pervasions (or should that be perversions) that emanate from Whitby Abby on the rugged coastline of the NE of England don't have a part to play here somewhere. Is it possible that our contemporary Goth was last seen in drizzle infused England on the weekend of the Annual UK Goth festival? Or have I started reading too far ahead ... again :hmmm:

After lunch (the reheated remains of the previous evening’s Chinese fare) Stan and Barb reclined on the sofa, looking out the French doors at the rabbits munching on their greenery. They didn’t eat enough to keep the grass mown.
Madiosi-2021-079-rabbits.jpg
He thought about getting some goats. He and Barb could make cheese, which might keep her out of trouble. They could even sell it at the local Saturday Farmer’s Market . “Busted Goats” they could call it, after all the perps they’d arrested. But then he’d have no excuse to watch Barb laboring semi-naked in the heat.

“I might as well get on with story, right?” Stan said.

“As you wish, boss,” Barb replied.

“So, McGinty calls me and Benny into his office. ‘Youse guys got 48 hours to make a case outta this shit sandwich. You hear me?’ he says.”

“He really said ‘youse guys’?” Barb asked.

“Yep. That’s who he was,” Stan said.

“Reggie never in his whole life said, ‘youse’, I’ll bet,” Barb noted.

“No doubt,” Stan noted. “But that Reggie and McGinty were two different sorts of people. He told us that the DA’s team had to talk fast to get the judge to give us that long, given the lack of evidence we had.”

“But the brilliant team of Stan and Benny shouldn’t have needed even half that time,” Barb quipped.

“I’m adding that to the list of stuff you’ll pay for, Moore,” Stan replied. She just shook her head.

“So we went to apartment with the crime scene unit,” Stan continued after Barb’s uncalled for interruption. “Were there hairs, fibers, various secretions from the victim there? Of course there were-she had lived there for a month or so. Were there signs of a struggle? In that mess, you would have had to struggle to get from the bed to the toilet.”

“No blood, no scratches on Billy Bob?”

“None. Billy Bob had a car, an old clunker that he’d driven up from Down South. Presumably that’s what he’d used to move the body to the alleyway. Again, there were all kinds of signs of the victim in the car, but so what? She was his girlfriend and she’d ridden in his car. A first year law student could have made mincemeat out of that.”

“So you found nothing useful?”

“Not entirely. What we did find was some paraphernalia.”

“Drugs? Needles and the like?”

“No, the kind of paraphernalia that someone would find in our basement. Whips, handcuffs, gags, that sort of stuff. Not as good a collection as we have, but they were kids and that stuff was harder to obtain back then. Also books and the like. Paperbacks. Ebooks hadn’t been invented yet and Jeff Bezos was still working on his first million back then.”

“So they liked to play? That explains the marks the ME found on her, I guess.”

“Sheena was a naughty girl and needed some discipline. Reading their email chain, it looked like, if anything, she was at least as into it as he was. Remind you of anyone? ”

“Not that I can think of.”

“Maybe you should take those jellyfish pills, Barb. But we’ll see if I can refresh your memory later.”

“So what did you do next, Stan?” Barb asked, ignoring the threat.

“We talked to the neighbors. They were a fairly eclectic crew. Nobody heard anything much. What they did hear sounded like a couple of young lovers having a good time. Apartment 2A liked to play their stereo pretty loud, so they may have coordinated their play sessions with that.”

“Sure. And I suppose no one saw him dragging the body into the car, right?”

“There were three steps up from the door of their apartment to the street. She was a thin little thing, as I mentioned, so you didn’t have to be a steroid-bulked he-man to move her. You pull the car in front and you can have her in the back seat inside 20 seconds.”

“So, what did you do, Stan?”

“The only thing we could do. We figured Billy Bob really loved her and it was all a terrible accident. They get busy, he decides a little breath play like he read about in one of those books might spice things up. Or maybe, perhaps more likely, SHE decides that would be fun. She begs him to do it, so he does. She’s moaning and groaning, in pleasure or pain, who knows, so he pulls harder.”

“Next thing you know, she’s dead. Cut off the blood to the brain and bad shit can happen. So he panics, bundles the body in the car, drives around looking for somewhere far from their neighborhood. He comes upon the alley, sees no one around, so he dumps the body and drives off.”

“That’s a plausible story.”

“You’re damn right it is! I’d bet quite a few Benjamins that’s pretty much what happened. Could we prove it beyond a reasonable doubt? Not on your life. But Billy Bob had to be feeling a ton of guilt. He wasn’t a hardened criminal. He had just killed his girlfriend, accidentally, to be sure, but she was most definitely dead. We figured he’d be desperate to confess given the right circumstances.”

“And you and Benny would be happy to provide the right circumstances.”

“We were a couple of very obliging guys. But let me ask you, Barb, why are you so interested in this story from back in the Dark Ages?”

“I want to know everything about you, Stan. What makes you tick, what you were like before I knew you. It’s what people who care about each other do.”

“Yeah, that may be true, but I think you miss being a detective. That’s what all this ridiculous talk about going to China and investigating the virus is all about, isn’t it? But we agreed, after that last stint that landed you in prison, no more. And I intend to hold you to that agreement.”

“OK, I’ll be honest. I do miss it,” Barb replied. “You’re an old goat, but I’m a bit young to retire, don’t you think? And yes, I like peril, testing myself against limits, trying to outsmart the bad guys.”

“And you like pain, too.”

“Yes, I do, at least in the right mood and context. That’s why the story of the Goth Girl turns me on, as you could tell from last night.”

“I know it did. That’s why I’m willing to dredge up this old case. Get you all hot and bothered and eager to accept your punishment.”

“Assuming I did accept a punishment, what would I be punished for?”

“Besides your dumb idea to go to China, there’s your disrespect to me over the lawn mowing when it was clearly your turn. Plus a few other sarcastic remarks. Not to mention your asking me to choke you in bed. I hope you understand now why I said no and such requests won’t be repeated.”

“How many times do you bug me to give you a blow job, when you know I don’t like that?”
Madiosi-2018-425-12-Blowjob.jpg

“OK, fair point. But a blow job never killed anyone and choking has.”

“OK, Stan, I see your point. But, would you consider taking a case as private investigators if the right one came along?”

“Could you handle one without getting yourself into a pickle that I had to rescue you from?”

“Sure, no problem.”

Stan started laughing, harder than he’d laughed in some time. “That’s a good one, Moore!” he exclaimed.

“OK, I admit I have a slight tendency to occasionally get myself into hot water. But I think I’ve learned from experience.” She moved over closer to Stan, and reached out to stroke his leg. “Come on, where’s your sense of adventure, Goldman?”

“It’s sitting in a re-education camp somewhere in Xinxiang.”

Barb snuggled in even closer as her hand worked its way under Stan’s shorts. “But if someone called and needed our help, you would at least consider it, wouldn’t you? Because you’re a good man who likes to help, right?”

“Sure, Barb, anything you say,” Stan replied.

Last edited by a moderator:
“I want to know everything about you, Stan. What makes you tick
Especially why you are addicted to that dumb tv show!

“Besides your dumb idea to go to China, there’s your disrespect to me over the lawn mowing when it was clearly your turn. Plus a few other sarcastic remarks.

What you see is what you get Stan. I’m really quite lovable

“How many times do you bug me to give you a blow job, when you know I don’t like that?”
yeah, that above all, I find that most annoying, even worse than Seinfeld

After lunch (the reheated remains of the previous evening’s Chinese fare) Stan and Barb reclined on the sofa, looking out the French doors at the rabbits munching on their greenery. They didn’t eat enough to keep the grass mown.

He thought about getting some goats. He and Barb could make cheese, which might keep her out of trouble. They could even sell it at the local Saturday Farmer’s Market . “Busted Goats” they could call it, after all the perps they’d arrested. But then he’d have no excuse to watch Barb laboring semi-naked in the heat.

“I might as well get on with story, right?” Stan said.

“As you wish, boss,” Barb replied.

“So, McGinty calls me and Benny into his office. ‘Youse guys got 48 hours to make a case outta this shit sandwich. You hear me?’ he says.”

“He really said ‘youse guys’?” Barb asked.

“Yep. That’s who he was,” Stan said.

“Reggie never in his whole life said, ‘youse’, I’ll bet,” Barb noted.

“No doubt,” Stan noted. “But that Reggie and McGinty were two different sorts of people. He told us that the DA’s team had to talk fast to get the judge to give us that long, given the lack of evidence we had.”

“But the brilliant team of Stan and Benny shouldn’t have needed even half that time,” Barb quipped.

“I’m adding that to the list of stuff you’ll pay for, Moore,” Stan replied. She just shook her head.

“So we went to apartment with the crime scene unit,” Stan continued after Barb’s uncalled for interruption. “Were there hairs, fibers, various secretions from the victim there? Of course there were-she had lived there for a month or so. Were there signs of a struggle? In that mess, you would have had to struggle to get from the bed to the toilet.”

“No blood, no scratches on Billy Bob?”

“None. Billy Bob had a car, an old clunker that he’d driven up from Down South. Presumably that’s what he’d used to move the body to the alleyway. Again, there were all kinds of signs of the victim in the car, but so what? She was his girlfriend and she’d ridden in his car. A first year law student could have made mincemeat out of that.”

“So you found nothing useful?”

“Not entirely. What we did find was some paraphernalia.”

“Drugs? Needles and the like?”

“No, the kind of paraphernalia that someone would find in our basement. Whips, handcuffs, gags, that sort of stuff. Not as good a collection as we have, but they were kids and that stuff was harder to obtain back then. Also books and the like. Paperbacks. Ebooks hadn’t been invented yet and Jeff Bezos was still working on his first million back then.”

“So they liked to play? That explains the marks the ME found on her, I guess.”

“Sheena was a naughty girl and needed some discipline. Reading their email chain, it looked like, if anything, she was at least as into it as he was. Remind you of anyone? ”

“Not that I can think of.”

“Maybe you should take those jellyfish pills, Barb. But we’ll see if I can refresh your memory later.”

“So what did you do next, Stan?” Barb asked, ignoring the threat.

“We talked to the neighbors. They were a fairly eclectic crew. Nobody heard anything much. What they did hear sounded like a couple of young lovers having a good time. Apartment 2A liked to play their stereo pretty loud, so they may have coordinated their play sessions with that.”

“Sure. And I suppose no one saw him dragging the body into the car, right?”

“There were three steps up from the door of their apartment to the street. She was a thin little thing, as I mentioned, so you didn’t have to be a steroid-bulked he-man to move her. You pull the car in front and you can have her in the back seat inside 20 seconds.”

“So, what did you do, Stan?”

“The only thing we could do. We figured Billy Bob really loved her and it was all a terrible accident. They get busy, he decides a little breath play like he read about in one of those books might spice things up. Or maybe, perhaps more likely, SHE decides that would be fun. She begs him to do it, so he does. She’s moaning and groaning, in pleasure or pain, who knows, so he pulls harder.”

“Next thing you know, she’s dead. Cut off the blood to the brain and bad shit can happen. So he panics, bundles the body in the car, drives around looking for somewhere far from their neighborhood. He comes upon the alley, sees no one around, so he dumps the body and drives off.”

“That’s a plausible story.”

“You’re damn right it is! I’d bet quite a few Benjamins that’s pretty much what happened. Could we prove it beyond a reasonable doubt? Not on your life. But Billy Bob had to be feeling a ton of guilt. He wasn’t a hardened criminal. He had just killed his girlfriend, accidentally, to be sure, but she was most definitely dead. We figured he’d be desperate to confess given the right circumstances.”

“And you and Benny would be happy to provide the right circumstances.”

“We were a couple of very obliging guys. But let me ask you, Barb, why are you so interested in this story from back in the Dark Ages?”

“I want to know everything about you, Stan. What makes you tick, what you were like before I knew you. It’s what people who care about each other do.”

“Yeah, that may be true, but I think you miss being a detective. That’s what all this ridiculous talk about going to China and investigating the virus is all about, isn’t it? But we agreed, after that last stint that landed you in prison, no more. And I intend to hold you to that agreement.”

“OK, I’ll be honest. I do miss it,” Barb replied. “You’re an old goat, but I’m a bit young to retire, don’t you think? And yes, I like peril, testing myself against limits, trying to outsmart the bad guys.”

“And you like pain, too.”

“Yes, I do, at least in the right mood and context. That’s why the story of the Goth Girl turns me on, as you could tell from last night.”

“I know it did. That’s why I’m willing to dredge up this old case. Get you all hot and bothered and eager to accept your punishment.”

“Besides your dumb idea to go to China, there’s your disrespect to me over the lawn mowing when it was clearly your turn. Plus a few other sarcastic remarks. Not to mention your asking me to choke you in bed. I hope you understand now why I said no and such requests won’t be repeated.”

“OK, fair point. But a blow job never killed anyone and choking has.”

“OK, Stan, I see your point. But, would you consider taking a case as private investigators if the right one came along?”

“Could you handle one without getting yourself into a pickle that I had to rescue you from?”

“Sure, no problem.”

Stan started laughing, harder than he’d laughed in some time. “That’s a good one, Moore!” he exclaimed.

“OK, I admit I have a slight tendency to occasionally get myself into hot water. But I think I’ve learned from experience.” She moved over closer to Stan, and reached out to stroke his leg. “Come on, where’s your sense of adventure, Goldman?”

“It’s sitting in a re-education camp somewhere in Xinxiang.”

Barb snuggled in even closer as her hand worked its way under Stan’s shorts. “But if someone called and needed our help, you would at least consider it, wouldn’t you? Because you’re a good man who likes to help, right?”

“Sure, Barb, anything you say,” Stan replied.
Brilliant!

"... Apartment 2A liked to play their stereo pretty loud ..." - Wonder what they liked to play? Possibly ...pmg.jpeg

View attachment 1032251
Which one is Stan and which one is Barb?:rolleyes:

“I’m off to pick up some more wine and get a few things at the supermarket. Anything you want?” Barb chirped.

“Wait, I thought you wanted to hear the rest of the story of the Gotham Goth Girl,” Stan asked.

“Of course, I do, as soon as I get back,” she replied, kissing him on the cheek. He watched her tight little ass wiggle as she slipped out the door.

***​

With a bit of time to himself, Stan sat down in front of his computer in the room that they used as an office to pay bills and keep up with correspondence. His email was mostly the usual junk, offers that he couldn’t afford to pass up, though somehow he’d made it to a decent age and a modest degree of comfort by doing just that.
Madiosi-2021-82-Stan Notebook.jpg
But amongst the spam was one entitled “My Daughter Delia, Please Help!” The sender, as Stan would have expected was Rosa Ortiz. He clicked on it.

The missive began with a heartfelt plea: “My daughter is the most precious thing in the world to me and I’m very worried about her,” and then slipped into outright flattery, “You are the most brilliant detective in all the world and I know that if anyone can find her, you can.” If Stan could have only figured out a way to show that sentence to Barb, without her seeing the whole message!

Attached were some photos of Delia. The first, a head shot with her in an academic gown, looking proud, was most likely from her high school yearbook or graduation. She was nice-looking, with olive skin and curly hair.

The second showed her on a tropical beach, standing beneath a palm tree, with the ocean in the background. She was wearing a red bikini whose top looked several sizes too small for her, emphasizing her considerable endowments. She was smiling like she didn’t have a care in the world.

The third was taken in the same spot, with Delia wearing, or almost wearing, the same bikini. In this one she had her arm around another young woman, this one with paler skin and straight hair that appeared dirty blond or light brown in the strong sunlight. The other girl was wearing a green bikini, of a similar skimpiness to Delia’s, though it did a better job of containing her smaller breasts. Stan presumed that the second girl was Delia’s college roommate, Tara, a presumption confirmed by Rosa Ortiz’ commentary.

Nothing in either picture suggested anything other than a couple of friends enjoying a beach vacation. Of course, the picture could well have been staged, the girls ordered to smile nicely for the camera on pain of some terrible punishment, but there was no convincing reason to think that.

The rest of the message consisted of emails that Delia had sent her mother periodically. They were generally cheerful.-“Having a good time here. The food is wonderful, but I’m getting plenty of exercise, so I’m not gaining weight. I hope you are well, Mami, Love, Delia”.

One from a few months ago spoke of how the opportunity to earn money and learn from a very successful businessman was too good to turn down, so she was taking a leave of absence from Pitcher College, as was Tara. Their boss had arranged everything with the school so they could complete their degree when they returned.

All in all, Stan couldn’t find much there. No mother wanted to think of her daughter selling herself to some rich man, but he’d run into cases where that was exactly what had happened. The girl was an adult and could make her own decisions and live with the consequences.

Was it possible that this was part of some huge sex trafficking/slavery operation? Sure, they’d busted one not far from where they lived, Stan almost dying in the process and Barb almost ending up the property of some Middle Eastern potentate. But those girls had been snatched off the streets and kept in cages in a filthy basement, while Delia and her friend had gone willingly and looked well taken care of.

Stan knew that if Barb caught wind of this, she’d be off to Providentia in a flash, concocting some hare-brained scheme to infiltrate the place and get the goods on them. Either there was nothing going on, and she’d waste her time, or there was and she’d end up in grave danger and Stan would have to risk his life to save her yet again.

And on top of that, Mrs. Ortiz was a poor woman who probably couldn’t even cover their expenses, let alone pay them a stipend. If he wanted to help women being controlled by men, he’d do better helping that pop star whose father was running her life.

Stan was tempted to delete the email, but he decided to keep it just in case something came up that caused him to change his mind. He looked again at the picture of Tara and Delia on the beach. He imagined that they really were slaves and he was their owner. They would labor away in the hot sun in the sugar cane fields, sweating like Barb had been mowing the lawn. The difference would be that the overseer wouldn’t spare the whip for fear of the neighbors seeing. Any backtalk, like Barb had given him, would result in them being tied naked to a post and screaming in agony as the cruel leather scored their backs, asses and breasts.

And then, at night, they would lie in his bed. There would be no list of what they would and wouldn’t do. His wish would be their command, under threat of further punishment.

Not that any of this was even remotely possible. Aside from the fact that slavery was illegal and Stan had sworn to uphold the law, his modest share of book royalties were hardly sufficient to buy a private island and slave girls to adorn it.

Besides, what would he do with Barb? His imagination had just strayed to the vision of Barb in place of one of those girls and the things that he would do to her and she would do for him, when he heard her car pulling in. He closed the email.

***​

He heard Barb putting the groceries away. Soon, he saw her in the doorway of the office room, smiling at him. He smiled back at her.

“How was the supermarket?” he asked.

“Fine,” she replied. “I got some of that ice cream you like. Chocolate almond coffee fudge with cherries and blueberries.”

“All that in one container,” Stan said.

“Now I want to hear the rest of your story. The Gotham Goth Girl and her loving boyfriend.”

Stan stood. “Sure. It’s not that exciting, but I’m happy to tell what I remember of it.”

They stopped in the kitchen, where Barb poured herself some ice tea. “I’ll take a bit, too,” Stan said. She poured him a glass and they settled in the living room.

“By this time, Billy Bob had demanded a lawyer,” Stan began. “He was broke, so he got a Public Defender, a young guy not much older than he was. They were sitting in the conference room. The Assistant DA assigned to the case joined us. The questioning went something like this:”
Madiosi-2021-81-Stan Interview.jpg
Benny: So, she told you she was going back to England?

Billy Bob: Yes.

Stan: That’s interesting because the British Airways ticket she bought in the UK had an open return. She was supposed to call and book her return flight 48 hours ahead. The airline has no record of any call and no reservation for her.

Billy Bob, looking like a deer in the headlights: I don’t know. Maybe she lied to me and she just went somewhere else here in the States. She said she wanted to check out California, but I had to work to pay rent, so I couldn’t go.

Stan: You think she lied to you and just took off? Did you guys have a lover’s quarrel?

Billy Bob: No.

Benny: Her suitcase and clothes were still in your apartment.

“Wait a minute, Stan,” Barb interjected, shaking her head. “He didn’t dump her suitcase and clothes?”

“Billy Bob wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. Also, he was emotionally distraught. Maybe he needed to keep her stuff to remember how much he loved her. You studied psychology, you tell me.”

“Nothing in my studies prepared me the people you run into as a cop. Like fake Romans who hate women and crucify them. Maybe I missed that lecture, but I doubt it.”

Stan: We found something else in your apartment.

Stan bends down and picks up a gym bag and places it on the table. With a bit of a dramatic flair he pulls on surgical gloves and unzips the bag. He slowly pulls out each object one at a time-a riding crop, a rope cat o’nine tails, a few ball gags of different sizes, a pair of handcuffs and various lengths of nylon rope.

Billy Bob blushes ten different shades of red.

The Public Defender: I assume you had a warrant to search his apartment?

Benny produces the warrant. The PD examines it and nods.

Benny: The ME found marks on the victim’s back, rear and breasts. Bruises and a few minor cuts mostly healed. We haven’t asked them whether they’re consistent with these being used on her-he picked up the cat and the crop-but I’m betting they are.

A whispered conversation between Billy Bob and his lawyer.

PD: The defendant stipulates that he and the deceased indulged in fully consensual BDSM play.

Stan: Did that include putting the rope around her neck?

More whispered conversation between Billy Bob and the PD.

PD: The defendant and the deceased indulged in one incident of consensual rope play which caused no lasting damage.

Stan: Look, Billy Bob, you strike me as a decent young man. We have your emails with Sheena. She wanted you to do that stuff to her. To hurt her. Mostly it was her idea. You loved her and wanted to please her. It got her hot, which got you hot.

Barb was looking at Stan with a look that had often led to some fun and games.

Benny: Then one night, she said, ”Do that again with the rope, Billy. It made me crazy.” You wanted to make her happy. You both got naked. You used the handcuffs to attach her hands over her head. Then you got on top of her and put the rope around her neck. You were hard now, because she was just so hot. You went inside her. Then you pulled on the rope, just a little. “Harder, Billy”. You pulled harder. She moaned. ”Harder,” she gasped. You did what she said, all the while fucking her like crazy.

Billy’s mouth was gaping wide in shock and horror.

Stan: It just felt so good that you couldn’t stop. When you were done, you looked down. Sheena wasn’t moving. You tried to revive her, but it was too late. You panicked. You were scared and horrified because you’d just killed your girlfriend. So you wrapped her in some blankets. You went and got your car and pulled it right in front of the building. The stereo in 2A was booming so no one in the building heard you drag her up the few stairs to the door. You looked both ways up the street. It was late and no one was around.

Benny: You quickly threw her in the back seat. You got in and drove around, looking for a good spot to dump the body where no one would see you. You don’t know the Bronx at all, but it’s getting late and that alleyway looked as good as anywhere. You opened the door, threw her out and drove off.

Stan: That’s what happened Billy, isn’t it? You didn’t mean to, maybe, but you killed your girlfriend.

Billy Bob bursts into tears. Sobbing, he cries, “I love you Sheena, I’m so sorry!”

The PD motions to the Assistant DA. They stand.

PD: Not a word while I’m gone, Billy. You hear me?

Billy nods. The ADA and the PD leave the room to confer.

“That’s a gripping tale, Stan,” Barb says. She wriggles a bit on the sofa.

“I can tell you’re enjoying it,” Stan says.

“So what happened next?”

“The lawyers took a while, maybe half an hour, maybe an hour. They came back. Billy Bob will plead to Negligent Homicide. The DA will recommend a sentence of 5-10 years. We typed up a confession. The lawyers read it over and nodded. Billy Bob signed it. They took him away to Rikers.”

“What happened to him.? How long did he serve? Where is he now-did he stay here or go back to Arkansas when he got out?”

Stan looked at her and shook his head. “How the fuck should I know, Barb? You think I care what happens to these losers? I busted them, did my best to make a case and after that it wasn’t my problem.”

“Well, that was good story, I guess. I’m still trying to decide how much was true.”

“Are you suggesting I would make this up, Barb? I’m going to add that to the list of things I have to punish you for.”

“Even you have to admit it sounds like a tall tale, Stan.”
Bottom
“Well, you could look it up. The papers covered it at the time.”

“Oh, I will, Stan. In the meantime, though, since you’re determined to punish me, we might as well get it over with, I guess.” She stood and walked towards the door that led to the stairs down to the basement. Stan got up and followed her.

Last edited by a moderator:
“Oh, I will, Stan. In the meantime, though, since you’re determined to punish me, we might as well get it over with, I guess.” She stood and walked towards the door that led to the stairs down to the basement. Stan got up and followed her.
Something tells me I’m going to find the follow up to this chapter painfully exciting. :confused:

Besides, what would he do with Barb? His imagination had just strayed to the vision of Barb in place of one of those girls and the things that he would do to her and she would do for him, when he heard her car pulling in. He closed the email.

Stan has remarkable vision for an old fogey, but if he decides to take this case and takes me along with him to this Caribbean island, he’s likely to start having double vision. Won’t that be confusing? :confused:

Something tells me I’m going to find the follow up to this chapter painfully exciting.
Or excitingly painful...:p
Stan has remarkable vision for an old fogey, but if he decides to take this case and takes me along with him to this Caribbean island, he’s likely to start having double vision. Won’t that be confusing?
I think one Barbara Moore is moore than enough trouble...

“I’m off to pick up some more wine and get a few things at the supermarket. Anything you want?” Barb chirped.

“Wait, I thought you wanted to hear the rest of the story of the Gotham Goth Girl,” Stan asked.

“Of course, I do, as soon as I get back,” she replied, kissing him on the cheek. He watched her tight little ass wiggle as she slipped out the door.

***​

With a bit of time to himself, Stan sat down in front of his computer in the room that they used as an office to pay bills and keep up with correspondence. His email was mostly the usual junk, offers that he couldn’t afford to pass up, though somehow he’d made it to a decent age and a modest degree of comfort by doing just that.

But amongst the spam was one entitled “My Daughter Delia, Please Help!” The sender, as Stan would have expected was Rosa Ortiz. He clicked on it.

The missive began with a heartfelt plea: “My daughter is the most precious thing in the world to me and I’m very worried about her,” and then slipped into outright flattery, “You are the most brilliant detective in all the world and I know that if anyone can find her, you can.” If Stan could have only figured out a way to show that sentence to Barb, without her seeing the whole message!

Attached were some photos of Delia. The first, a head shot with her in an academic gown, looking proud, was most likely from her high school yearbook or graduation. She was nice-looking, with olive skin and curly hair.

The second showed her on a tropical beach, standing beneath a palm tree, with the ocean in the background. She was wearing a red bikini whose top looked several sizes too small for her, emphasizing her considerable endowments. She was smiling like she didn’t have a care in the world.

The third was taken in the same spot, with Delia wearing, or almost wearing, the same bikini. In this one she had her arm around another young woman, this one with paler skin and straight hair that appeared dirty blond or light brown in the strong sunlight. The other girl was wearing a green bikini, of a similar skimpiness to Delia’s, though it did a better job of containing her smaller breasts. Stan presumed that the second girl was Delia’s college roommate, Tara, a presumption confirmed by Rosa Ortiz’ commentary.

Nothing in either picture suggested anything other than a couple of friends enjoying a beach vacation. Of course, the picture could well have been staged, the girls ordered to smile nicely for the camera on pain of some terrible punishment, but there was no convincing reason to think that.

The rest of the message consisted of emails that Delia had sent her mother periodically. They were generally cheerful.-“Having a good time here. The food is wonderful, but I’m getting plenty of exercise, so I’m not gaining weight. I hope you are well, Mami, Love, Delia”.

One from a few months ago spoke of how the opportunity to earn money and learn from a very successful businessman was too good to turn down, so she was taking a leave of absence from Pitcher College, as was Tara. Their boss had arranged everything with the school so they could complete their degree when they returned.

All in all, Stan couldn’t find much there. No mother wanted to think of her daughter selling herself to some rich man, but he’d run into cases where that was exactly what had happened. The girl was an adult and could make her own decisions and live with the consequences.

Was it possible that this was part of some huge sex trafficking/slavery operation? Sure, they’d busted one not far from where they lived, Stan almost dying in the process and Barb almost ending up the property of some Middle Eastern potentate. But those girls had been snatched off the streets and kept in cages in a filthy basement, while Delia and her friend had gone willingly and looked well taken care of.

Stan knew that if Barb caught wind of this, she’d be off to Providentia in a flash, concocting some hare-brained scheme to infiltrate the place and get the goods on them. Either there was nothing going on, and she’d waste her time, or there was and she’d end up in grave danger and Stan would have to risk his life to save her yet again.

And on top of that, Mrs. Ortiz was a poor woman who probably couldn’t even cover their expenses, let alone pay them a stipend. If he wanted to help women being controlled by men, he’d do better helping that pop star whose father was running her life.

Stan was tempted to delete the email, but he decided to keep it just in case something came up that caused him to change his mind. He looked again at the picture of Tara and Delia on the beach. He imagined that they really were slaves and he was their owner. They would labor away in the hot sun in the sugar cane fields, sweating like Barb had been mowing the lawn. The difference would be that the overseer wouldn’t spare the whip for fear of the neighbors seeing. Any backtalk, like Barb had given him, would result in them being tied naked to a post and screaming in agony as the cruel leather scored their backs, asses and breasts.

And then, at night, they would lie in his bed. There would be no list of what they would and wouldn’t do. His wish would be their command, under threat of further punishment.

Not that any of this was even remotely possible. Aside from the fact that slavery was illegal and Stan had sworn to uphold the law, his modest share of book royalties were hardly sufficient to buy a private island and slave girls to adorn it.

***​

He heard Barb putting the groceries away. Soon, he saw her in the doorway of the office room, smiling at him. He smiled back at her.

“How was the supermarket?” he asked.

“Fine,” she replied. “I got some of that ice cream you like. Chocolate almond coffee fudge with cherries and blueberries.”

“All that in one container,” Stan said.

“Now I want to hear the rest of your story. The Gotham Goth Girl and her loving boyfriend.”

Stan stood. “Sure. It’s not that exciting, but I’m happy to tell what I remember of it.”

They stopped in the kitchen, where Barb poured herself some ice tea. “I’ll take a bit, too,” Stan said. She poured him a glass and they settled in the living room.

“By this time, Billy Bob had demanded a lawyer,” Stan began. “He was broke, so he got a Public Defender, a young guy not much older than he was. They were sitting in the conference room. The Assistant DA assigned to the case joined us. The questioning went something like this:”

Benny: So, she told you she was going back to England?

Billy Bob: Yes.

Stan: That’s interesting because the British Airways ticket she bought in the UK had an open return. She was supposed to call and book her return flight 48 hours ahead. The airline has no record of any call and no reservation for her.

Billy Bob, looking like a deer in the headlights: I don’t know. Maybe she lied to me and she just went somewhere else here in the States. She said she wanted to check out California, but I had to work to pay rent, so I couldn’t go.

Stan: You think she lied to you and just took off? Did you guys have a lover’s quarrel?

Billy Bob: No.

Benny: Her suitcase and clothes were still in your apartment.

“Wait a minute, Stan,” Barb interjected, shaking her head. “He didn’t dump her suitcase and clothes?”

“Billy Bob wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. Also, he was emotionally distraught. Maybe he needed to keep her stuff to remember how much he loved her. You studied psychology, you tell me.”

“Nothing in my studies prepared me the people you run into as a cop. Like fake Romans who hate women and crucify them. Maybe I missed that lecture, but I doubt it.”

Stan: We found something else in your apartment.

Stan bends down and picks up a gym bag and places it on the table. With a bit of a dramatic flair he pulls on surgical gloves and unzips the bag. He slowly pulls out each object one at a time-a riding crop, a rope cat o’nine tails, a few ball gags of different sizes, a pair of handcuffs and various lengths of nylon rope.

Billy Bob blushes ten different shades of red.

The Public Defender: I assume you had a warrant to search his apartment?

Benny produces the warrant. The PD examines it and nods.

Benny: The ME found marks on the victim’s back, rear and breasts. Bruises and a few minor cuts mostly healed. We haven’t asked them whether they’re consistent with these being used on her-he picked up the cat and the crop-but I’m betting they are.

A whispered conversation between Billy Bob and his lawyer.

PD: The defendant stipulates that he and the deceased indulged in fully consensual BDSM play.

Stan: Did that include putting the rope around her neck?

More whispered conversation between Billy Bob and the PD.

PD: The defendant and the deceased indulged in one incident of consensual rope play which caused no lasting damage.

Stan: Look, Billy Bob, you strike me as a decent young man. We have your emails with Sheena. She wanted you to do that stuff to her. To hurt her. Mostly it was her idea. You loved her and wanted to please her. It got her hot, which got you hot.

Barb was looking at Stan with a look that had often led to some fun and games.

Benny: Then one night, she said, ”Do that again with the rope, Billy. It made me crazy.” You wanted to make her happy. You both got naked. You used the handcuffs to attach her hands over her head. Then you got on top of her and put the rope around her neck. You were hard now, because she was just so hot. You went inside her. Then you pulled on the rope, just a little. “Harder, Billy”. You pulled harder. She moaned. ”Harder,” she gasped. You did what she said, all the while fucking her like crazy.

Billy’s mouth was gaping wide in shock and horror.

Stan: It just felt so good that you couldn’t stop. When you were done, you looked down. Sheena wasn’t moving. You tried to revive her, but it was too late. You panicked. You were scared and horrified because you’d just killed your girlfriend. So you wrapped her in some blankets. You went and got your car and pulled it right in front of the building. The stereo in 2A was booming so no one in the building heard you drag her up the few stairs to the door. You looked both ways up the street. It was late and no one was around.

Benny: You quickly threw her in the back seat. You got in and drove around, looking for a good spot to dump the body where no one would see you. You don’t know the Bronx at all, but it’s getting late and that alleyway looked as good as anywhere. You opened the door, threw her out and drove off.

Stan: That’s what happened Billy, isn’t it? You didn’t mean to, maybe, but you killed your girlfriend.

Billy Bob bursts into tears. Sobbing, he cries, “I love you Sheena, I’m so sorry!”

The PD motions to the Assistant DA. They stand.

PD: Not a word while I’m gone, Billy. You hear me?

Billy nods. The ADA and the PD leave the room to confer.

“That’s a gripping tale, Stan,” Barb says. She wriggles a bit on the sofa.

“I can tell you’re enjoying it,” Stan says.

“So what happened next?”

“The lawyers took a while, maybe half an hour, maybe an hour. They came back. Billy Bob will plead to Negligent Homicide. The DA will recommend a sentence of 5-10 years. We typed up a confession. The lawyers read it over and nodded. Billy Bob signed it. They took him away to Rikers.”

“What happened to him.? How long did he serve? Where is he now-did he stay here or go back to Arkansas when he got out?”

Stan looked at her and shook his head. “How the fuck should I know, Barb? You think I care what happens to these losers? I busted them, did my best to make a case and after that it wasn’t my problem.”

“Well, that was good story, I guess. I’m still trying to decide how much was true.”

“Are you suggesting I would make this up, Barb? I’m going to add that to the list of things I have to punish you for.”

“Even you have to admit it sounds like a tall tale, Stan.”
Bottom
“Well, you could look it up. The papers covered it at the time.”

"... How was the supermarket?” he asked.

“Fine,” she replied. “I got some of that ice cream you like. Chocolate almond coffee fudge with cherries and blueberries ..." - but she didn't mention the watermelon!

aviary-image-1626541706562.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom