The Sweat Box

Go to CruxDreams.com
The sweatbox can hardly be called a cell unless you think of a beehive's cells, because it's so tiny. It's as the name indicates, a box. The cells in the ergastulum are large enough to be able to stand and lie down, though they would still be small and narrow, with a concrete block on one wall serving as the seat and bed. And because the ergastulum is of concrete or stone walls, it doesn't heat up like the sweatbox. It's a world of difference, a respite, an oasis to a slave. Floggings are also administered in the ergastulum, as well as castration and the breaking of legs. The last one is often a prelude to crucifixion, but can also be a punishment all on its own. It's still fatal as the slave is thrown out to die of exposure after the legs are broken.

Some slaves in the ergastulum could work. Something that comes to mind is a mill, to which slaves are chained. They could also weave, while chained to their workbenches.

It's cleaned every now and then, but the floor is dirt, so piss sinks in, and solid waste might just be covered with more dirt.

Yes, I can see how that would be a good punishment, so you're right. The fields? The threat of them is always looming. That's why I love a latifundium setting, well one of the reasons. The hierarchy of slaves and the degree to which they suffer puts my own servitude into context, makes me be the lucky one.

I wouldn't think of ever doing anything to warrant crucifixion. If a fellow slave offered to include me in their escape plan, I would turn them to Dominus, because in his latifundium runaways are summarily crucified, without exception. And I'd be to scared of Dominus finding out I knew about it. By those close to me, you mean slaves who matter to me? That would only make me many times more submissive, as they would be like hostages.

I could definitely see that. My demeanor might offend my Dominus, even if indirectly. If I look too haughty he might want to see me squirm like a worm again. In that case, he would berate me in the moments preceding the sweatbox. He would abuse and humiliate me verbally reminding that I am nothing but a slave.

So this is indeed a very small punishment cell?

So an appropriate place for a male sex offender to be punished I assume.

The small prison cell and the added punishment of both flogging and castration seem appropriate to me.

No, smaller - only about large enough to stand up in. Unless it's one of the ones where you have to crouch...
I have to wonder how that compares with the public pillory. What advantage a small sweat box has over a small punishment confinement cell in prison or to a public pillory. Just wondering. Did they really punish prisoners in the small sweat box with flogging and even castration?

I have to wonder how that compares with the public pillory. What advantage a small sweat box has over a small punishment confinement cell in prison or to a public pillory. Just wondering. Did they really punish prisoners in the small sweat box with flogging and even castration?
Well for one thing, it's not public, which makes for a bit less of a show but also means no-one will interfere with the prisoner. Adds claustrophobia too, along with the box concentrating the heat and the smell.

Back
Top Bottom