Today is World Reading Day or World Book and Copyright Day

Go to CruxDreams.com
hi Hongzu.
Chinese SF is starting to get published in English, I've read a few works and collections of short stories. It's interesting to get a different perspective, SF with Chinese characteristics :)
Liu Cixin won the Hugo in 2015, a major breakthrough for Chinese SF and hopefully a sign of things to come. I read it last year but I found parts of it heavy going to be honest. I might see how the other books in the series are. It tackles some interesting concepts, the three body problem of the title, the Dark Forest (it's dangerous out there people!), and the history of science and philosophy, eastern and western.
There's also the Chung Kuo books by David Wingrove, a vision of a future earth radically reshaped by a resurgent China, written from a western perspective, a western author.
I've just reread The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. I was shocked to realise that it's almost 30 years old :eek:
It was a major work introducing steampunk to a wider audience, but it hasn't grabbed me this time around and I wonder if it lacks the freshness that it had on first reading.

Should I recommend something? How about the works of Kage Baker. Sadly she died a few years ago but she wrote both SF and fantasy and I love her work in both genres. A favourite? Possibly Into The West (known in Britain as Mendoza in Holywood), it's part of a series but it can be read on its own. What's it about? Go and find out for yourself :p. I will say that I read a review once which complained that there was too much incidental material in the book that got in the way of the main narrative - but for me it was that material that made the book enjoyable. Over to you.

Speaking of dead authors, I see Michael Crichton has published 3 books now since his death. Is there no stopping the man?

Last edited:
I think I need to recommend something too.
刘慈欣,Liu CiXin,or Cixin Liu in English language habits.Personally,I think he is the greatest science fiction writer in contemporary China.
His 《The three body problem》trilogy have been published in English,you've probably heard of this,a very impressive piece of work.
His work likes to show the negative and dark side of Intelligences,but what is more attractive is his description of their positive and bright side:A country teacher who sticks to his mission(《乡村教师》)、an alien Empire declared war on "God" for their last dignity(《诗云》)、a group of scientists who disregard life and death for the sake of truth(《朝闻道》)……
I hope his work will have more English versions.
Dover publications put out a book of Chinese fairy tales. The ones I read were very interesting (like the fruit trees in the scholar's yard turning into women for protection against the East Wind).

I think I need to recommend something too.
刘慈欣,Liu CiXin,or Cixin Liu in English language habits.Personally,I think he is the greatest science fiction writer in contemporary China.
His 《The three body problem》trilogy have been published in English,you've probably heard of this,a very impressive piece of work.
His work likes to show the negative and dark side of Intelligences,but what is more attractive is his description of their positive and bright side:A country teacher who sticks to his mission(《乡村教师》)、an alien Empire declared war on "God" for their last dignity(《诗云》)、a group of scientists who disregard life and death for the sake of truth(《朝闻道》)……
I hope his work will have more English versions.

The three-body problem.

Here is a quote from R. D. Mattuck's book on Feynman diagrams.
In eighteenth-century Newtonian mechanics, the three-body problem was insoluble. With the birth of general relativity about 1910 and quantum electrodynamics in 1930, the two- and one-body problems became insoluble. And within modern quantum field theory, the problem of zero bodies (vacuum) is insoluble. So if we are out after exact solutions, no bodies at all is already too many!

hi Hongzu.
Chinese SF is starting to get published in English, I've read a few works and collections of short stories. It's interesting to get a different perspective, SF with Chinese characteristics :)
Liu Cixin won the Hugo in 2015, a major breakthrough for Chinese SF and hopefully a sign of things to come. I read it last year but I found parts of it heavy going to be honest. I might see how the other books in the series are. It tackles some interesting concepts, the three body problem of the title, the Dark Forest (it's dangerous out there people!), and the history of science and philosophy, eastern and western.
There's also the Chung Kuo books by David Wingrove, a vision of a future earth radically reshaped by a resurgent China, written from a western perspective, a western author.
I've just reread The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. I was shocked to realise that it's almost 30 years old :eek:
It was a major work introducing steampunk to a wider audience, but it hasn't grabbed me this time around and I wonder if it lacks the freshness that it had on first reading.

Should I recommend something? How about the works of Kage Baker. Sadly she died a few years ago but she wrote both SF and fantasy and I love her work in both genres. A favourite? Possibly Into The West (known in Britain as Mendoza in Holywood), it's part of a series but it can be read on its own. What's it about? Go and find out for yourself :p. I will say that I read a review once which complained that there was too much incidental material in the book that got in the way of the main narrative - but for me it was that material that made the book enjoyable. Over to you.

Speaking of dead authors, I see Michael Crichton has published 3 books now since his death. Is there no stopping the man?
Thank you. I haven't heard of them before,now I know.:sun_smiley:

Dover publications put out a book of Chinese fairy tales. The ones I read were very interesting (like the fruit trees in the scholar's yard turning into women for protection against the East Wind).
Emmm……I want to know the name of this book,amazing story……

The three-body problem.

Here is a quote from R. D. Mattuck's book on Feynman diagrams.
In eighteenth-century Newtonian mechanics, the three-body problem was insoluble. With the birth of general relativity about 1910 and quantum electrodynamics in 1930, the two- and one-body problems became insoluble. And within modern quantum field theory, the problem of zero bodies (vacuum) is insoluble. So if we are out after exact solutions, no bodies at all is already too many!
In fact,the three body problem is only a start in the book,the real content is far beyond this.
By the way,when the trilogy was published together in China,its general title was《地球往事》(《Once upon a time on the earth》、《The earth's past》).

The three body problem
I did read the first book of that, and I'd recommend it too, a lot of good ideas how to work out the interaction with an alien civilization quite differently (progressing through a virtual reality 'online game' to become part of a chosen few) ... and their advanced techology also makes our reality quite manipulable...
The Sympathizer, by the Vietnamese-American author Viet Thanh Nguyen. It managed to be both horrifying and hilarious, often at the same time. It won the Pulitzer Prize and deserved it.
Another good recommendation, I picked it up on windars suggestion and he isn't exaggerating.
When it comes to SF, I've recently been reading some old stuff, 1940s/early 1950s; 'More than human' by Theodore Sturgeon was the last...

When I was a little girl I was all over the map it seems. The outsiders, treasure island, the red badge of courage, the Quay, oh, and Goosebumps, who can forget that little gem of a series. I still enjoy Garfield comics if it counts since they are in "book" form as well.
I read a manga series called Claymore that I am sure @ERIN the Brave Would love. the entire main cast are sword wielding women.

ab48ac8fc51b9f622ed770dc6d72936c.jpgC17_cover.jpg

I did read the first book of that, and I'd recommend it too, a lot of good ideas how to work out the interaction with an alien civilization quite differently (progressing through a virtual reality 'online game' to become part of a chosen few) ... and their advanced techology also makes our reality quite manipulable...

Another good recommendation, I picked it up on windars suggestion and he isn't exaggerating.
When it comes to SF, I've recently been reading some old stuff, 1940s/early 1950s; 'More than human' by Theodore Sturgeon was the last...
The theme of the trilogy is rising,from the human crisis to the truth of the cruelty of the universe,this series has been creating surprises.

When I was a little girl I was all over the map it seems. The outsiders, treasure island, the red badge of courage, the Quay, oh, and Goosebumps, who can forget that little gem of a series. I still enjoy Garfield comics if it counts since they are in "book" form as well.
I read a manga series called Claymore that I am sure @ERIN the Brave Would love. the entire main cast are sword wielding women.

View attachment 580914View attachment 580915
So you are imaginative now:treadmill:

I once found this one.

View attachment 581578View attachment 581579

It is in German. A crime story which plays in SM-clubs. You can guess how the victim died...

There are a few more books shown on http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/books.4462/

Wow! Interesting! It seems from amazon.de that Andras is the author and Schatten (Shadow) is the title. I don't see any indicattion that an English translation is available. There could be a project for one of our members fluent in both languages:eek::nusee:

Wow! Interesting! It seems from amazon.de that Andras is the author and Schatten (Shadow) is the title. I don't see any indicattion that an English translation is available. There could be a project for one of our members fluent in both languages:eek::nusee:

I hope so! I know we should not judge a book by it's cover, but that is one hell of a cover!

Back
Top Bottom