A Lowland Adventure - Mr. Maxwells' Vacation

Go to CruxDreams.com
[Episode 33]

Love swells like the Solway, but ebbs like its tide—“*
“Shit,” exclaimed Alex.
“Whit’s wrang,” asked Jessie.
“Graeme locked us in. Here you sit down and let me look at it. Remember, I’m the lock expert.” Jessie, now having complete trust in the man who just saved her from madding torture, relaxed on the floor.

Some lock expert, Alex said to himself. I can pick it if it’s a piece of cake, but I'm no expert.
He examined the handle and case. There was no keyhole on the inside – nothing to pick. The door strike was protected behind the molding, and the lever wouldn't move an inch.
Oh well, he thought. Maybe we'll be lucky, and it a flimsy old door ready to crack right open. He stood back and kicked hard at the handle. Not any give. He tried several more times with no result.
Alex had never tried before to beat down a door, but he'd seen many movies where a man would charge the door with his shoulder. He took about six feet back and ran to place his right shoulder against the latch side of the door. He felt like he broke his shoulder, and the door didn't budge. He gave a loud groan and sank to the floor.
Jessie heard his cry of pain and came to hold him.
“Alex, that’s eneuch! Dinna gae hurting yersel. We can jist bide til the polis let us free.”
He looked into her sweet, trusting eyes. "That might be very long."
“Whit? Ye said they were reet ahint ye!”
“I lied. I didn’t want Graeme to think I was here alone. It would have made him more dangerous.”
“But whyfor would ye nae tell the polis?”
“I did. That infernal Sergeant Lindsey won’t do a thing without solid evidence.”
“Oh, God.”
“When I left for here, I asked Morag to tell Lindsey where I was going and to bring help, but I doubt he will.”
“But hoo do we get oot o here?”
“We don’t.” Alex saw the fear come into her face. He needed to soften the blow somewhat. “At least not for a while. That door’s too solid. Even if the police come, Graeme will probably be long gone. If no one answers, they'll probably go away and come back in a few days. Who knows when they will find a way in. Even then, will they search the whole house down to this locked door in this corner of the basement?"
“So whit's gaun tae come o us, Alec?" asked Jessie. Despite Alex talking around the ultimate issue, she was starting to dread the worst.
"We stay here," he looked her in the eyes with a look of deep sadness, tears running down his cheeks. "It looks like I've made a mess of saving you, dear Jes. I don’t have any idea how to get us out of here!" He began to sob.
Jessie stared back with shock and disbelief. They were locked in this basement room, with no way out. No food, no water. They would die here. She also started to cry.

However, after a few minutes, Jessie began to experience a different feeling than despair. As she lay there, almost naked, with Alex, bare-chested, holding her in his strong arms, she felt a powerful affection for this man who had tried so hard to save her. She had been drawn strongly to him ever since they met. But her natural distrust of any man had made her keep him at a distance. Even last night, when she'd gone to sleep having erotic dreams of him, she'd told herself, he's an ootlander - he'll be awa in nae time - he'll brak yer hert...
But now, she knew she trusted this American. She didn't care if he would leave in a few days (if they lived that long). She had faith in Alex Maxwell. He was a good man! She felt a deep physical desire welling up - a tingling in her loins.
Jessie lifted herself toward him and raised his chin so she could look in his red, tear-filled eyes. Not one to say 'I luve you,' she wordlessly placed her soft lips on his and kissed him with an unmistakable desire. At the same time, her hand slipped down to caress his crotch gently.
Without hesitation, Alex responded in kind, opening his lips and slipping his tongue forward to toy with her's as his hands grasped her butt and pulled her body close to him. The heat between the two grew almost exponentially. The days of flirting, and advance and retreat had now come to the intensely desired end.

Instinctively, Alex reached to grab one of Jessie's breasts and drew a cry of pain from her. It stopped him in his tracks.
"Oh, my God! I'm so sorry, Jes. I wasn't thinking about your injuries. I let my lust take over! I'm such an idiot."
"Wheesht," she said, putting her fingers to his mouth. "It's no that bad. Mind, I kind o like feelins o pain to get alang wi sex. It maks me hotter. Dinna fash yersel, touse me onywhere, e'en reuchly. I'll be siccar tae let you ken gin it's tae muckle."
With that, she planted her lips back firmly on his and began to undo his jeans. She was hungry to hold his member in her hands.

Alex held the bonnie lassie tight in his arms. He had dreamed of this since he first saw her beautiful eyes looking down on him as he was preparing to die. She was so wonderful. The actual performance of sex was not only fulfilling but was the best of his life. Not that any physical part was that outstanding, but the powerful emotion he felt for her made it all seem heavenly. When she had mounted him and slipped his hard, eager cock into her warm, wet pussy, it had been difficult not to come immediately. He held his climax for as long as he could while she rode him like breaking a stallion. But the heavenly feel of her warm cunt pumping his cock and the sight of her sexy body straining to milk his essence forced him to shoot all too soon into her hot body. She had seemed to come just a moment later. Alex, however, was too experienced to assume Jessie didn't feign her reactions. Most women he had known were aware of the fragile male sexual self-image and would give 'compliments' when not entirely deserved.

Afterward, Jessie snuggled in the warm and comforting grasp of her lover. Alex had been phenomenal! She knew that she had strung him along for days. He was probably so horny he could have come at her first touch on his cock. But he seemed to work hard to please her and stretch out the experience for her satisfaction. Finally, she took matters into her own hands (so to speak) and mounted him cowgirl-style to bring him to the climax he deserved. Even then, he lasted far longer than she would have thought possible, and she came just moments after he did. And what an orgasm! Jessie put it down to her long celibacy and her depth of gratitude to the man who had saved her. Luve wisna intae the picter, she thought.
Basking in the physical glow of her mind-blowing climax, Jessie let one hand drift down Maxwell’s chest to his groin. There, to her surprise and delight, she felt a new stiffness growing. As she lifted her head, Alex brought his lips to hers.

*“Love swells like the Solway but ebbs like its tide—
And now I am come, with this lost love of mine,
To lead but one measure, drink one cup of wine.
" – Lochinvar, Sir Walter Scott

Almost lost you,"**
After the second, longer, and even more satisfying love-making, Alex lay for a while, blissfully happy in the arms of the woman he loved. However, soon, a dark, nagging thought ate away at his joy. Not just the fear that they were going to die together here – but another, potentially worse fate. Graeme would return – with weapons and accomplices – to capture them. Jessie bound for white slavery and Alex sure to be killed.

Alex also thought of a more horrifying possibility. Jessie had told him some of Gallovidian folklore. Now it came to mind. Would their Graeme decide to burn the house down around them just as the original Graeme had murdered the Gordon of Muirfad.*** Alex made one promise to himself; he would not outlive Jessie. If she went first, he would kill himself.

As he contended with his warring emotions, he held his love close against the terrors around them. Jessie stirred, kissed him softly, and then lay her head again on his chest. She, too, knew the danger that faced them. But, in the arms of this man from Wisconsin, she felt strangely safe. She was prepared for whatever would come. And Jessie was determined that, if they went, they would go together.

**“Almost lost you,” he thought, surprised to find himself blinking back tears. "Been through too much, me and you. We're going to finish this thing together.”** ― Gerald Brom, The Child Thief

***Tales of Galloway, Alan Temperley 1979
Graeme came close, observing that since all was now satisfactorily concluded, they might as well be friends. He held out his hand. Apprehensively, the laird regarded it. His position was weak: to ignore the hand was to offer further insult. He stretched his arm tentatively through the door.
No sooner did their fingers touch, however, than Graeme seized the weaker hand in his own and quickly threw a noose of chain around the wrist. Holding it tight, with the laird’s shoulder pulled right to the door, he coupled the chain to an iron staple in the wall.

Laughing ferociously, Graeme called for a brand and instantly set fire to the pile of brushwood and logs that was against the door. Gordon of Muirfad was burned alive, and the castle and all within it were destroyed.

Oh well, he thought. Maybe we'll be lucky, and it a flimsy old door ready to crack right open. He stood back and kicked hard at the handle. Not any give. He tried several more times with no result.
I seem to remember him leaving his shoes outside, which I thought was quite clever. Now you say he’s kicking hard at a solid door? :doh:

I hereby withdraw any previous praise of his cleverness,:rolleyes:

I seem to remember him leaving his shoes outside, which I thought was quite clever. Now you say he’s kicking hard at a solid door? :doh:

tenor.gif

[Episode 33]

Love swells like the Solway, but ebbs like its tide—“*
“Shit,” exclaimed Alex.
“Whit’s wrang,” asked Jessie.
“Graeme locked us in. Here you sit down and let me look at it. Remember, I’m the lock expert.” Jessie, now having complete trust in the man who just saved her from madding torture, relaxed on the floor.

Some lock expert, Alex said to himself. I can pick it if it’s a piece of cake, but I'm no expert.
He examined the handle and case. There was no keyhole on the inside – nothing to pick. The door strike was protected behind the molding, and the lever wouldn't move an inch.
Alex had never tried before to beat down a door, but he'd seen many movies where a man would charge the door with his shoulder. He took about six feet back and ran to place his right shoulder against the latch side of the door. He felt like he broke his shoulder, and the door didn't budge. He gave a loud groan and sank to the floor.
Jessie heard his cry of pain and came to hold him.
“Alex, that’s eneuch! Dinna gae hurting yersel. We can jist bide til the polis let us free.”
He looked into her sweet, trusting eyes. "That might be very long."
“Whit? Ye said they were reet ahint ye!”
“I lied. I didn’t want Graeme to think I was here alone. It would have made him more dangerous.”
“But whyfor would ye nae tell the polis?”
“I did. That infernal Sergeant Lindsey won’t do a thing without solid evidence.”
“Oh, God.”
“When I left for here, I asked Morag to tell Lindsey where I was going and to bring help, but I doubt he will.”
“But hoo do we get oot o here?”
“We don’t.” Alex saw the fear come into her face. He needed to soften the blow somewhat. “At least not for a while. That door’s too solid. Even if the police come, Graeme will probably be long gone. If no one answers, they'll probably go away and come back in a few days. Who knows when they will find a way in. Even then, will they search the whole house down to this locked door in this corner of the basement?"
“So whit's gaun tae come o us, Alec?" asked Jessie. Despite Alex talking around the ultimate issue, she was starting to dread the worst.
"We stay here," he looked her in the eyes with a look of deep sadness, tears running down his cheeks. "It looks like I've made a mess of saving you, dear Jes. I don’t have any idea how to get us out of here!" He began to sob.
Jessie stared back with shock and disbelief. They were locked in this basement room, with no way out. No food, no water. They would die here. She also started to cry.

However, after a few minutes, Jessie began to experience a different feeling than despair. As she lay there, almost naked, with Alex, bare-chested, holding her in his strong arms, she felt a powerful affection for this man who had tried so hard to save her. She had been drawn strongly to him ever since they met. But her natural distrust of any man had made her keep him at a distance. Even last night, when she'd gone to sleep having erotic dreams of him, she'd told herself, he's an ootlander - he'll be awa in nae time - he'll brak yer hert...
But now, she knew she trusted this American. She didn't care if he would leave in a few days (if they lived that long). She had faith in Alex Maxwell. He was a good man! She felt a deep physical desire welling up - a tingling in her loins.
Jessie lifted herself toward him and raised his chin so she could look in his red, tear-filled eyes. Not one to say 'I luve you,' she wordlessly placed her soft lips on his and kissed him with an unmistakable desire. At the same time, her hand slipped down to caress his crotch gently.
Without hesitation, Alex responded in kind, opening his lips and slipping his tongue forward to toy with her's as his hands grasped her butt and pulled her body close to him. The heat between the two grew almost exponentially. The days of flirting, and advance and retreat had now come to the intensely desired end.

Instinctively, Alex reached to grab one of Jessie's breasts and drew a cry of pain from her. It stopped him in his tracks.
"Oh, my God! I'm so sorry, Jes. I wasn't thinking about your injuries. I let my lust take over! I'm such an idiot."
"Wheesht," she said, putting her fingers to his mouth. "It's no that bad. Mind, I kind o like feelins o pain to get alang wi sex. It maks me hotter. Dinna fash yersel, touse me onywhere, e'en reuchly. I'll be siccar tae let you ken gin it's tae muckle."
With that, she planted her lips back firmly on his and began to undo his jeans. She was hungry to hold his member in her hands.

Alex held the bonnie lassie tight in his arms. He had dreamed of this since he first saw her beautiful eyes looking down on him as he was preparing to die. She was so wonderful. The actual performance of sex was not only fulfilling but was the best of his life. Not that any physical part was that outstanding, but the powerful emotion he felt for her made it all seem heavenly. When she had mounted him and slipped his hard, eager cock into her warm, wet pussy, it had been difficult not to come immediately. He held his climax for as long as he could while she rode him like breaking a stallion. But the heavenly feel of her warm cunt pumping his cock and the sight of her sexy body straining to milk his essence forced him to shoot all too soon into her hot body. She had seemed to come just a moment later. Alex, however, was too experienced to assume Jessie didn't feign her reactions. Most women he had known were aware of the fragile male sexual self-image and would give 'compliments' when not entirely deserved.

Afterward, Jessie snuggled in the warm and comforting grasp of her lover. Alex had been phenomenal! She knew that she had strung him along for days. He was probably so horny he could have come at her first touch on his cock. But he seemed to work hard to please her and stretch out the experience for her satisfaction. Finally, she took matters into her own hands (so to speak) and mounted him cowgirl-style to bring him to the climax he deserved. Even then, he lasted far longer than she would have thought possible, and she came just moments after he did. And what an orgasm! Jessie put it down to her long celibacy and her depth of gratitude to the man who had saved her. Luve wisna intae the picter, she thought.
Basking in the physical glow of her mind-blowing climax, Jessie let one hand drift down Maxwell’s chest to his groin. There, to her surprise and delight, she felt a new stiffness growing. As she lifted her head, Alex brought his lips to hers.

*“Love swells like the Solway but ebbs like its tide—
And now I am come, with this lost love of mine,
To lead but one measure, drink one cup of wine.
" – Lochinvar, Sir Walter Scott

Almost lost you,"**
After the second, longer, and even more satisfying love-making, Alex lay for a while, blissfully happy in the arms of the woman he loved. However, soon, a dark, nagging thought ate away at his joy. Not just the fear that they were going to die together here – but another, potentially worse fate. Graeme would return – with weapons and accomplices – to capture them. Jessie bound for white slavery and Alex sure to be killed.

Alex also thought of a more horrifying possibility. Jessie had told him some of Gallovidian folklore. Now it came to mind. Would their Graeme decide to burn the house down around them just as the original Graeme had murdered the Gordon of Muirfad.*** Alex made one promise to himself; he would not outlive Jessie. If she went first, he would kill himself.

As he contended with his warring emotions, he held his love close against the terrors around them. Jessie stirred, kissed him softly, and then lay her head again on his chest. She, too, knew the danger that faced them. But, in the arms of this man from Wisconsin, she felt strangely safe. She was prepared for whatever would come. And Jessie was determined that, if they went, they would go together.

**“Almost lost you,” he thought, surprised to find himself blinking back tears. "Been through too much, me and you. We're going to finish this thing together.”** ― Gerald Brom, The Child Thief

***Tales of Galloway, Alan Temperley 1979
Graeme came close, observing that since all was now satisfactorily concluded, they might as well be friends. He held out his hand. Apprehensively, the laird regarded it. His position was weak: to ignore the hand was to offer further insult. He stretched his arm tentatively through the door.
No sooner did their fingers touch, however, than Graeme seized the weaker hand in his own and quickly threw a noose of chain around the wrist. Holding it tight, with the laird’s shoulder pulled right to the door, he coupled the chain to an iron staple in the wall.

Laughing ferociously, Graeme called for a brand and instantly set fire to the pile of brushwood and logs that was against the door. Gordon of Muirfad was burned alive, and the castle and all within it were destroyed.
So locked inside a bdsm dungeon/torture chamber and the loving couple ignore their fetish-fuelled desires and make passionate vanilla love not once but twice! But who knows they're there ... no one as far as I can recall - except of course the heinous monster himself. This one is far from over ... splendid story telling PrPr

So locked inside a bdsm dungeon/torture chamber and the loving couple ignore their fetish-fuelled desires and make passionate vanilla love not once but twice! But who knows they're there ... no one as far as I can recall - except of course the heinous monster himself. This one is far from over ... splendid story telling PrPr
There might have been some temptation to employ the S&M equipment available. However, remember that Jessie had just gone through several hours of torture at the hands of Graeme and was still in a lot of pain from that (as shown when she cried out at Alex touching her whipped breasts) even dedicated Sadists or Masochists often move on to "vanilla" sex after a certain amount of punishment. Also, remember that though Jessie hates the word, Alex is very aware of his love for her.

Aren't you being a bit hard? It asks a lot for Alex to plan at the bottom of the stairs that he would be locked in the room and try to kick his way out.

The ladies back in Kenmuir know where Alex went. His hostess gave him her husband's old gun, maybe she has a big Glock of her own. Back in the dungeon, we know they have a long electric cord -- there may be something else of interest lying around. As for the policeman, maybe he has his own reasons for being unhelpful.

[Episode 34]

"The door creaked open, and there he was."*
Jessie and Alex lay in each other's arms, dozing in the afterglow of good sex. For a few minutes, at least, the cold dungeon where they were trapped seemed as warm as a bridal bower.

Then came a sound from the door – the key was turning. Alex heard it and instantly was fully alert. He sat straight up, waking Jessie. She looked at him in puzzlement until she too heard it – the door handle was depressed. Alex fought desperately to remember where he'd left the gun. But it was too late. The door swung wide open.

“Och noo! I didna ken ye was a wanting privacy, ye lovebirds,” said Sergeant Sandy Lindsey. “I could cum back later, gin ye still hae mair ploys tae do." He began to close the door slowly.

“No, don't go!" shouted Alex. "Thank goodness you found us. We thought we might die in here. Jessie has been quite badly hurt."
Lindsey noted the marks on Jessie’s naked body and quickly reverted to professional concern. He turned to the man beside him and ordered, "Constable, gae upby tae the chaumers an fin a plaid fer the Miss - at the double" He peeled off his uniform overcoat and went to wrap it around the girl. Jessie muttered, “Thanks, Sandy.”
“Come, let’s get ye oot o this laich room an intil a mair comfy pairt o the hoose.” “Constable,” he said, turning to the other man, “ye gae an ca for an anither amblaunce.”
Alex and Sandy took opposite sides of Jessie and gently guided her from the room and up the basement stairs, not without an underlying trace of male competitiveness. Once they had her reclining on a sofa in the parlor, Alex went back to get his clothes. When he returned, Jessie was wrapped in an oversized plaid blanket, and Sandy had found the drinks cupboard and was helping Jessie with a wee dram of brandy.

*"The door creaked open, and there he was. ‘My star-touched queen,’ he said. ‘I missed you.’ -
"A lush and vivid story steeped in Indian folklore and mythology, Roshani Chokshi's The Star-touched Queen is a novel that no reader will soon forget.” “Fate and fortune. Power and passion. What does it take to be the queen of a kingdom when you're only seventeen?”

All's Well that Ends Well”**
After a few minutes, the brandy seemed to revive Jessie. The Constable returned and said an ambulance would be there in fifteen minutes.
“I dinna want ony amblaunce,” Jessie said. “I’ll be reet in a few maments.”
“Ye’re gaein to bide still there and then gae to the hospital in the ambluance, even if I have to cuff you to the barra,” threatened the Sergeant.
"Careful she might like that," said Alex winking to Jessie, who returned a shocked look and a shake of the head, accompanied by a sideways look at the Sergeant. "But. I'm with the Sergeant on this, Jessie. We have no idea how badly Graeme hurt you. It's the hospital next for you, lassie."
Jessie, seeing there was no convincing these two men, folded her arms in a pout and harrumphed.

With Jessie cared for, Alex turned to the Sergeant.
“What I want to know is how you got here and found us. I thought you’d wait days to investigate.”
“Aye, but ye reckoned wi'oot the likes o Morag McTavish. She got onto me like the deil's ane wrath. I was feart not to come lukin efter the twa o ye.”
"But how did you get in here. You don't generally break into a private house, do you?"
“That we dinna, as a rule. Whan there wisna ony answer here, we gaed doon tae the auld keeper's cottage that you telt Morag aboot. We knaped there but gat nae answer there aither. But as we turned to lave, we heerd a wumman cry oot. It wis verra saft, but verra pleadin, 'Help me!' Weel, I can tell ye, that's all the richt we needed tae enter. Ma constables brak doon the door, an we foond seven young wummen, in cages, nakit. We gat them oot an sent them in amblaunces tae the hospital. They telt us they'd been held by ane Graeme, wha bided in the manor hoose. So richt awa we skeltert up here an foond the side patio door ajar. We'd reenged through maist o the hoose whan I seed the laich room door ajar an lichts on.”
“Thank God,” sighed Alex.
“Then at the fuit o the stairs, I spied yer shoes at the beginnin o the left passage. I followed it doon, an yon's hoo I cam tae apen the ane door that wis lockfast. My apologies again for intrudin on your tête-à-tête."
"No apology necessary, Sandy," said Alex, chuckling, we are just grateful that you did a thorough search. That room would have become most unpleasant in a few days!" replied Alex. He extended his hand, which Lindsey took. "We owe you our lives."
"Ye're welcome. I'm gled we were able tae rescue yon ither lassies girls afore it was too late."
"Before Graeme smuggled them out of the country and into white slavery?"
“Aye, but hoo did ye ken? Did Graeme tell ye?’
“Nae,” Alex caught himself slipping into a little Scots again, “I pretty much figured it oot on me own. Graeme is a sexual psychopath who had always dreamed of kidnapping and using girls. However, he is also clever and understood that the only way not to be caught was to have a way to dispose of them. I don't know how he got the connection, but I expect he has an arrangement with a Russian or Ukrainian Mafia to sell the girls to them for further auction on the dark web to rich 'collectors' worldwide. I expect it's made him quite rich.”
“Ukrainian," said Jessie in a weak voice. Her injuries were catching up to her. The two men looked at her questioningly. "He telt me Ukrainian."
"I tak my hat aff tae ye, Mr. Maxwell. That seems to be what oor people jalouse. Ye do ken your stuff."
“Years of experience, Sergeant. Have you got Graeme safely put away?”
“Nae. We haena. He's slipped oot o oor gresp.”
“No! He must be caught!”
“We’re daein a we can. His description's oot a'where; we've een told the English polis! He canna win awa. It’s only a maitter o time.”
“Time is the problem, Sergeant. You are already out of it. No disrespect intended, but I'll wager anything that Graeme is already out of Scotland and on his way to another country."
“Nae, he cannae hae muived sae fest!”
"If I know Graeme, he had his escape plans and routes prepared the moment he set foot in Scotland. He was off these shores within an hour of when he left us."
“I pray ye're wrang there, Mr. Maxwell. He’s ane laithfu chiel tae be roamin free. Think o a the ither lassies he'll hurt!”
“I agree. But I think that’s over for now. At least Jessie and the other girls are safe.”

**All's well – Play by Shakespeare based on a tale from Boccaccio's The Decameron.

"I think we dream, so we don't have to be apart for so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can be together all the time."***
Just then, the wail of an ambulance siren could be heard approaching.

“I pray I’m wrong about Graeme. But if I’m wrong, and he’s still in Scotland, would you have a police guard on Jes for a couple of days just in case?”
"It would be a pleesure. Though I doot a private guaird carryin a gun he disna hae a licence for will be takin tent o her as weel. Please ca me Sandy," Lindsey said with a knowing wink.
“You can count on that, Sandy. And, please, ca me Alex.”
The two shook hands again, warmly. They looked at Jessie and saw she was asleep.

***“I think we dream” ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

The End

A superb, gripping story, this sassenach did not understand every Scots phrase but the ideas flowed well enough to always get the gist.
Graeme will return, no doubt about it, though under what name, and in what business, who knows?
But forget all that slavery stuff, the most important unknown is: do Jessie and Alex become an item?

[Episode 34]

"The door creaked open, and there he was."*
Jessie and Alex lay in each other's arms, dozing in the afterglow of good sex. For a few minutes, at least, the cold dungeon where they were trapped seemed as warm as a bridal bower.

Then came a sound from the door – the key was turning. Alex heard it and instantly was fully alert. He sat straight up, waking Jessie. She looked at him in puzzlement until she too heard it – the door handle was depressed. Alex fought desperately to remember where he'd left the gun. But it was too late. The door swung wide open.

“Och noo! I didna ken ye was a wanting privacy, ye lovebirds,” said Sergeant Sandy Lindsey. “I could cum back later, gin ye still hae mair ploys tae do." He began to close the door slowly.

“No, don't go!" shouted Alex. "Thank goodness you found us. We thought we might die in here. Jessie has been quite badly hurt."
Lindsey noted the marks on Jessie’s naked body and quickly reverted to professional concern. He turned to the man beside him and ordered, "Constable, gae upby tae the chaumers an fin a plaid fer the Miss - at the double" He peeled off his uniform overcoat and went to wrap it around the girl. Jessie muttered, “Thanks, Sandy.”
“Come, let’s get ye oot o this laich room an intil a mair comfy pairt o the hoose.” “Constable,” he said, turning to the other man, “ye gae an ca for an anither amblaunce.”
Alex and Sandy took opposite sides of Jessie and gently guided her from the room and up the basement stairs, not without an underlying trace of male competitiveness. Once they had her reclining on a sofa in the parlor, Alex went back to get his clothes. When he returned, Jessie was wrapped in an oversized plaid blanket, and Sandy had found the drinks cupboard and was helping Jessie with a wee dram of brandy.

*"The door creaked open, and there he was. ‘My star-touched queen,’ he said. ‘I missed you.’ -
"A lush and vivid story steeped in Indian folklore and mythology, Roshani Chokshi's The Star-touched Queen is a novel that no reader will soon forget.” “Fate and fortune. Power and passion. What does it take to be the queen of a kingdom when you're only seventeen?”

All's Well that Ends Well”**
After a few minutes, the brandy seemed to revive Jessie. The Constable returned and said an ambulance would be there in fifteen minutes.
“I dinna want ony amblaunce,” Jessie said. “I’ll be reet in a few maments.”
“Ye’re gaein to bide still there and then gae to the hospital in the ambluance, even if I have to cuff you to the barra,” threatened the Sergeant.
"Careful she might like that," said Alex winking to Jessie, who returned a shocked look and a shake of the head, accompanied by a sideways look at the Sergeant. "But. I'm with the Sergeant on this, Jessie. We have no idea how badly Graeme hurt you. It's the hospital next for you, lassie."
Jessie, seeing there was no convincing these two men, folded her arms in a pout and harrumphed.

With Jessie cared for, Alex turned to the Sergeant.
“What I want to know is how you got here and found us. I thought you’d wait days to investigate.”
“Aye, but ye reckoned wi'oot the likes o Morag McTavish. She got onto me like the deil's ane wrath. I was feart not to come lukin efter the twa o ye.”
"But how did you get in here. You don't generally break into a private house, do you?"
“That we dinna, as a rule. Whan there wisna ony answer here, we gaed doon tae the auld keeper's cottage that you telt Morag aboot. We knaped there but gat nae answer there aither. But as we turned to lave, we heerd a wumman cry oot. It wis verra saft, but verra pleadin, 'Help me!' Weel, I can tell ye, that's all the richt we needed tae enter. Ma constables brak doon the door, an we foond seven young wummen, in cages, nakit. We gat them oot an sent them in amblaunces tae the hospital. They telt us they'd been held by ane Graeme, wha bided in the manor hoose. So richt awa we skeltert up here an foond the side patio door ajar. We'd reenged through maist o the hoose whan I seed the laich room door ajar an lichts on.”
“Thank God,” sighed Alex.
“Then at the fuit o the stairs, I spied yer shoes at the beginnin o the left passage. I followed it doon, an yon's hoo I cam tae apen the ane door that wis lockfast. My apologies again for intrudin on your tête-à-tête."
"No apology necessary, Sandy," said Alex, chuckling, we are just grateful that you did a thorough search. That room would have become most unpleasant in a few days!" replied Alex. He extended his hand, which Lindsey took. "We owe you our lives."
"Ye're welcome. I'm gled we were able tae rescue yon ither lassies girls afore it was too late."
"Before Graeme smuggled them out of the country and into white slavery?"
“Aye, but hoo did ye ken? Did Graeme tell ye?’
“Nae,” Alex caught himself slipping into a little Scots again, “I pretty much figured it oot on me own. Graeme is a sexual psychopath who had always dreamed of kidnapping and using girls. However, he is also clever and understood that the only way not to be caught was to have a way to dispose of them. I don't know how he got the connection, but I expect he has an arrangement with a Russian or Ukrainian Mafia to sell the girls to them for further auction on the dark web to rich 'collectors' worldwide. I expect it's made him quite rich.”
“Ukrainian," said Jessie in a weak voice. Her injuries were catching up to her. The two men looked at her questioningly. "He telt me Ukrainian."
"I tak my hat aff tae ye, Mr. Maxwell. That seems to be what oor people jalouse. Ye do ken your stuff."
“Years of experience, Sergeant. Have you got Graeme safely put away?”
“Nae. We haena. He's slipped oot o oor gresp.”
“No! He must be caught!”
“We’re daein a we can. His description's oot a'where; we've een told the English polis! He canna win awa. It’s only a maitter o time.”
“Time is the problem, Sergeant. You are already out of it. No disrespect intended, but I'll wager anything that Graeme is already out of Scotland and on his way to another country."
“Nae, he cannae hae muived sae fest!”
"If I know Graeme, he had his escape plans and routes prepared the moment he set foot in Scotland. He was off these shores within an hour of when he left us."
“I pray ye're wrang there, Mr. Maxwell. He’s ane laithfu chiel tae be roamin free. Think o a the ither lassies he'll hurt!”
“I agree. But I think that’s over for now. At least Jessie and the other girls are safe.”

**All's well – Play by Shakespeare based on a tale from Boccaccio's The Decameron.

"I think we dream, so we don't have to be apart for so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can be together all the time."***
Just then, the wail of an ambulance siren could be heard approaching.

“I pray I’m wrong about Graeme. But if I’m wrong, and he’s still in Scotland, would you have a police guard on Jes for a couple of days just in case?”
"It would be a pleesure. Though I doot a private guaird carryin a gun he disna hae a licence for will be takin tent o her as weel. Please ca me Sandy," Lindsey said with a knowing wink.
“You can count on that, Sandy. And, please, ca me Alex.”
The two shook hands again, warmly. They looked at Jessie and saw she was asleep.

***“I think we dream” ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

The End
Thank you PrPr. So well written and unbelievably well researched! I have picked up some invaluable words that will be used whenever possible in the future :)

And whilst we celebrate the writing and conclusion of this wonderful tale, let's not forget that Graeme is still at large ... da, da, daaaaaaa!

a bit different from your usual offerings,
I'm grateful that readers, nonetheless, stuck with it.
I am particularly enthusiastic about the description of the landscapes
As am I.
But forget all that slavery stuff, the most important unknown is: do Jessie and Alex become an item?
Ah yes. The heart of the matter. It is Romantic fiction!
Sure to become a CF classic. Bravo!
Aw, shucks Barb! I blush.
let's not forget that Graeme is still at large
Indeed!

[Episode 35 - Postlude]
Grandville,_Autre_Monde,_Epilog.jpg

64,891 words later and it is still just “a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”
Perhaps with a quote from "The Scottish Play," as actors call it, this exercise in tourist promotion comes to a fitting conclusion.

Our brief escape among the rolling hills and crystal lakes of Gallovidia has come to an end. It was just a week from beginning to end. Still, it threw two strangers together in friendship, and eventually intimacy, and it culminated in the stoppage (at least temporarily) of an evil trade in human flesh. Where does it leave our lead characters, Alex, Jessie, and Graeme?
The first two are safe from the monster’s clutches, but this devil has survived to fight another day.

What comes next?

For Graeme, it is most difficult to say. Is he the kind who craves vengeance for his disrupted plans? Or will he wisely relocate his operation to a friendly and safer locale, making bundles of money and enjoying the forced favors of beautiful young women?

And what does the future hold for Alex and Jessie? There are so many paths available and so little evidence to know which shall be followed:

1. Will Alex return to the US to become a top profiler with the FBI (equipping his new home in Maryland with an exceptionally well-designed dungeon)? And Jessie go back to her solitary existence without men? Will there be a tearful farewell at Glasgow Airport, or will there be a stoic departure?

2. #1 and then Jessie, her heart empty, decides to pack up and leave her beloved Gallovidia and move to the New World with the modest man from Wisconsin?

3. #1 and Alex, his life too empty without Jessie, quits the FBI and gets hired by the British Home Secretary as the UK's head profiler. A position allowing frequent visits to a specific isolated cottage near Kenmuir.

4. Both #2 and #3 and they cross on the Atlantic flights, al a O'Henry's 'The Gift of the Maji'.

5. Will our two lovers, through a remarkable set of coincidences, reencounter Graeme? If so, who will come out on top? And will there be appropriate female suffering on the way?

6. A very different continuation proposed by an over-eager reader:
"Jessie realises that Alex will never treat her the way she needs to be treated, and the pain Graeme inflicted has turned her on so much she must somehow find and seduce him to keep her, and together as a couple, they have even more success in the slavery business."

Before I go, I must extend my thanks to the many faithful readers who have followed this pedestrian tale with me. I can assure you that it has been a labor of love on my part – who would not love the Lowlands, and who among us does not long for the dream of hooking up with Jessie McTaggart.

I need not tell the audience of the extraordinary contributions of my charming and talented collaborator. The language and landscapes would never have rung near as true without her.

Tapadh leat (Thank you – I hope it means).

And don't forget – after pandemic travel restrictions are lifted, be sure to patronize my sponsor, Visit Scotland (https://www.visitscotland.com/) – I certainly shall!

8873_visit-scotland-copy.png
Our last visual remembrances of this magical land:
Incredible Landscapes -
iStock_520863007_Scotland_Sligachan_River_Highlands_letterbox.jpg

Fascinating History -
visitscotland_32157543494.jpg
Place yourself in this awe-inspiring scene -
6I9A8470-2.jpg
As I quoted Mark Twain at the start of episode 2,

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.

Always remember the beauty of the Dark Sky Park!
waynedyer1.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 968590
Now in the libary:

and archive
Great thanks to Madi for producing a handsome volume!

Now is the opportunity for all the readers who claimed to enjoy this Northern Forest trip. Write a review in archives to let others know what awaits their reading. Don't be, as Byron, quipped, English Bards and Scotch Reviewers

Great thanks to Madi for producing a handsome volume!

Now is the opportunity for all the readers who claimed to enjoy this Northern Forest trip. Write a review in archives to let others know what awaits their reading. Don't be, as Byron, quipped, English Bards and Scotch Reviewers
Thanks, PrPr, for a great story, and thank you, Madi, for going to the trouble of packaging it as a convenient and good-looking book.

Back
Top Bottom