ancient female Martyrs

Go to CruxDreams.com
Nice work "Weru04" it would be nice to see your take on these young martyrs.

There appears to be some mystery surrounding the martyrdoms of what appears to be the two Saint Eulalia's, Saint Eulalia of Barcelona, died February 12th AD303, and Saint Eulalia of Merida died AD304. I am inclined to believe that there were indeed two different young girls called Saint Eulalia, especially with there being a year between their recorded deaths, and also in that Barcelona and Merida are just under 600 miles apart on opposite sides of Spain.

One thing for sure is that they were both persecuted for their Christian believes, by Roman Emporia Diocletian, and possibly along with many other young girls martyred at the time, and for which he certainly would not have had much time and empathy for, Bastard !! and not to mention Christians in general. Wikipedia also tells us of Saint Julia of Merida, who was also martyred at Merida in AD 304.

I am such a long way from even trying to imagine or comprehending the extreme pain, not only these young girls but all Christians endured, and with only their very strong faith as an anaesthetic.

Saint Eulalia of Barcelona had been condemned to 13 rounds of various tortures, one for every year of her young life by governor Dacian, one of the tortures was to be placed naked in a barrel with broken glass, knifes and other sharp object which would then be sealed and rolled down a hill, which is said to be the hill lane now called Baixada De Santa Eulalia.

Thanks to initial inspiration on the subject by Eulalia of Crux-Forums, and Madiosi’s Crucifiction Manipulation Construction Kit, this picture is my concept of Saint Eulalia being placed in her torture barrel.

PippaJayne.

Attachments

• Saint Eulalia Barrel Torture at Baixada De Santa Eulalia 02.JPG
    Saint Eulalia Barrel Torture at Baixada De Santa Eulalia 02.JPG
    373.7 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
Nice work "Weru04" it would be nice to see your take on these young martyrs.

There appears to be some mystery surrounding the martyrdoms of what appears to be the two Saint Eulalia's, Saint Eulalia of Barcelona, died February 12th AD303, and Saint Eulalia of Merida died AD304. I am inclined to believe that there were indeed two different young girls called Saint Eulalia, especially with there being a year between their recorded deaths, and also in that Barcelona and Merida are just under 600 miles apart on opposite sides of Spain.

One thing for sure is that they were both persecuted for their Christian believes, by Roman Emporia Diocletian, and possibly along with many other young girls martyred at the time, and for which he certainly would not have had much time and empathy for, Bastard !! and not to mention Christians in general. Wikipedia also tells us of Saint Julia of Merida, who was also martyred at Merida in AD 304.

I am such a long way from even trying to imagine or comprehending the extreme pain, not only these young girls but all Christians endured, and with only their very strong faith as an anaesthetic.

Saint Eulalia of Barcelona had been condemned to 13 rounds of various tortures, one for every year of her young life by governor Dacian, one of the tortures was to be placed naked in a barrel with broken glass, knifes and other sharp object which would then be sealed and rolled down a hill, which is said to be the hill lane now called Baixada De Santa Eulalia.

Thanks to initial inspiration on the subject by Eulalia of Crux-Forums, and Madiosi’s Crucifiction Manipulation Construction Kit, this picture is my concept of Saint Eulalia being placed in her torture barrel.

PippaJayne.
My main reason for believing that Eulalia of Merida was the original and Barcelona 'borrowed' her is that the poem about E of Merida, is a very fine composition by Prudentius (Aurelius Prudentius Clemens), who was an eminent figure (twice provincial governor) in Hispania Tarraconensis, which covered the whole of NE Spain (i.e. Catalonia as well as Aragon), in the later part of the 4th century - he was active at the time when the martyrdom of Eulalia in Emerita Augusta was still a living memory: as his poem describes, a shrine with her remains just outside that city was already a place of popular pilgrimage - so, although 'far distant' (as his poem says), it was already famous in his region. His works were very well-known through the middle ages, and he himself, or his poem, may well have encouraged a cult of the martyr in Barcino (Barcelona), which in time became detached from its origin, and developed into a much more elaborate legend with lots more, very exciting, tortures added along the way.

But I was attracted to Prudentius' version when I was the same age as the young martyr - especially by the cheeky way she thanked her torturers - firstly for writing 'the praises of God in purple' on her skin when they scourged her (purple ink on vellum was reserved for sycophantic addresses to the Emperor - 'purple prose'), and for 'carving the 'Cross of Christ' on her breasts when they tore them with hooks.

My main reason for believing that Eulalia of Merida was the original and Barcelona 'borrowed' her is that the poem about E of Merida, is a very fine composition by Prudentius (Aurelius Prudentius Clemens), who was an eminent figure (twice provincial governor) in Hispania Tarraconensis, which covered the whole of NE Spain (i.e. Catalonia as well as Aragon), in the later part of the 4th century - he was active at the time when the martyrdom of Eulalia in Emerita Augusta was still a living memory: as his poem describes, a shrine with her remains just outside that city was already a place of popular pilgrimage - so, although 'far distant' (as his poem says), it was already famous in his region. His works were very well-known through the middle ages, and he himself, or his poem, may well have encouraged a cult of the martyr in Barcino (Barcelona), which in time became detached from its origin, and developed into a much more elaborate legend with lots more, very exciting, tortures added along the way.

But I was attracted to Prudentius' version when I was the same age as the young martyr - especially by the cheeky way she thanked her torturers - firstly for writing 'the praises of God in purple' on her skin when they scourged her (purple ink on vellum was reserved for sycophantic addresses to the Emperor - 'purple prose'), and for 'carving the 'Cross of Christ' on her breasts when they tore them with hooks.
Eul of legend seems to be the original “brat” of victims! (I would not categorize her as a sub)

Back
Top Bottom