Armenian Women crucified

Go to CruxDreams.com
those are (American) actresses.
I understand they were Armenian girls, or at least of Armenian heritage, who volunteered to take part.

View attachment 822062View attachment 822063View attachment 822064View attachment 822065View attachment 822066
The movie is sometimes known under the title “Auction of Souls”, sometimes as “Ravished Armenia”, but it’s the same movie. Despite the participation and starring role played by Aurora Mardiganian (who lived through the terrible atrocities of the Armenian Genocide a few years previously), the movie is semi-fictionalised and is very much a Hollywood production of its time.
'Ravished Armenia' was the title of Aurora Mardiganian's book, on which the film as (rather loosely) based.
(see mp5stab's posts on page 2 above, quoting the book)

Last edited:
I think I read that somewhere, in an account of how the film came to be made,
it was actively supported by the Armenian community in the USA,
when Aurora Mardiganian's book was published, they were keen to get the film made.

Last edited by a moderator:
The initial premier was a charity event to raise money for the Armenians. After that premier the marketing team ran with that price as a selling point. “See the 10 dollar per seat picture for a dime!” It worked pretty well, especially for a pre Hayes-code film.

It was done for a film. The photo is a still from the movie, and those are (American) actresses. It was filmed in California.
Totally fake in that sense. But most often this pic is shared with the context that “this really happened OMG shock horror” ..well, it makes it more interesting I guess. Don’t get me wrong, atrocities really were committed against Armenians of course (which the Turkish authorities have never acknowledged let alone apologised for)... including the death by impalement as also partially shown in the movie; it’s possible the film-makers thought crucifixion would more effectively stir up the emotions of the viewers, or it’s just meant to symbolise the suffering of the Christian Armenian people under the oppression of the Moslem Turks.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom