Art Gallery

Go to CruxDreams.com
This thread has not been active for a while, but looks like the best place to post this.
I recently stumbled on this piece while visiting Madrid at the Reina Sofia Museum. The piece is called "Massacre at the Crucifixion" by André Masson and was drawn in 1933. Here is the link to the museum page. From his wikipedia page one can read he went through many phases, including a focus on "violent and erotic scenes" while he was living in spain in the 30s.

IMG_0126 Large.jpeg

I'm curious to see what forum members would make of this. To me it almost seems like the crucifixion is a painting overseeing the massacre. It also looks like there is a woman with arms tied behind her back at the feet of the cross... but that might just be my perverted eyes tricking me :)

This thread has not been active for a while, but looks like the best place to post this.
I recently stumbled on this piece while visiting Madrid at the Reina Sofia Museum. The piece is called "Massacre at the Crucifixion" by André Masson and was drawn in 1933. Here is the link to the museum page. From his wikipedia page one can read he went through many phases, including a focus on "violent and erotic scenes" while he was living in spain in the 30s.

View attachment 1402030

I'm curious to see what forum members would make of this. To me it almost seems like the crucifixion is a painting overseeing the massacre. It also looks like there is a woman with arms tied behind her back at the feet of the cross... but that might just be my perverted eyes tricking me :)
Yes, it seems to be inside a gallery or suchlike large room. where the Crucifixion is a painting hanging on the wall - I guess it might perhaps be the Prado, the Crucifixion being that by Juan de Flande (the sun and moon are conventional symbols of the sudden darkness of Good Friday, the wound high under Jesus' ribs and the free-floating loincloth a bit more distinctive):
https://www.museodelprado.es/en/the...cifixion/43bbf96a-516d-4e75-ab29-7ea521e7afce

Wow, @Eulalia, what an eye and impressive culture :clap::clap2:
It fits very well indeed. The lady in blue with her two hands together might even be what I mistook for tied wrists. It says that André Masson was an adept of automatic drawing, he might have put on paper what he remembered or felt from that painting.

It looks like the Crucifixion had quite an effect on Mr. Masson.

View attachment 1402030

Interesting pic, thanks for reviving the thread. The Prado, the one that got away for me, I was on the way to Madrid years ago and got side tracked, as you do, never did make it there. Berlin is another place I was literally on the way to and didn't reach. Ah well.

This thread is also good for artist themed pics, such as artists models

28fb74b8f495d577afe39e78e78daa60.jpeg5cc5744318aec0d9e78e44e1d0e3d360.jpegartmodel.jpgart 4u6gGIAvXa4.jpgart1342715845_Match-Piece_02_-1972-photo-R_600.jpg

Interesting pic, thanks for reviving the thread. The Prado, the one that got away for me, I was on the way to Madrid years ago and got side tracked, as you do, never did make it there. Berlin is another place I was literally on the way to and didn't reach. Ah well.
I did make it to the Prado this time, a miss on my previous visit 12 years ago. Plenty of Crux paintings there, although I have to say there is a distinct lack of diversity, gender and otherwise, for the crucifiees :cool:

Back
Top Bottom