Berlin Diary

Go to CruxDreams.com
'Berlin resonates with the echo of lives lived. No other city has repeatedly been so powerful and fallen so low.
And few other cities have been so shaped by individual imaginations.'
- Rory MacLean

The city of Berlin inspired the imagination which produced Barbaria's, 'Berlin Diary', a forum classic, and in every way a hard act to follow. So hard, in fact, that the sequel has now been over a year in production, and is still pending completion. It has been my pleasure to collaborate with Barb on this project, and we are enjoying the creative process immensely. We hope the readers will soon be able to share this enjoyment.

And now, I am delighted to announce that the Barbarinder Production Team has just approved a theatrical trailer for the forthcoming and eagerly awaited 'Barbarossanova'. The trailer is a three-minute video slideshow which can be opened by clicking on this link.

Coming soon - https://drive.google.com/file/d/11h9OIauJQ3lPwrJgSBAnMrUbpbFeAtk4/view?usp=sharing
They say that you can't judge a book but its cover, but nevertheless it looks like we're all in for a real treat! :popcorn:

'Berlin resonates with the echo of lives lived. No other city has repeatedly been so powerful and fallen so low.
- Rory MacLean

The city of Berlin inspired the imagination which produced Barbaria's, 'Berlin Diary', a forum classic, and in every way a hard act to follow. So hard, in fact, that the sequel has now been over a year in production, and is still pending completion. It has been my pleasure to collaborate with Barb on this project, and we are enjoying the creative process immensely. We hope the readers will soon be able to share this enjoyment.

And now, I am delighted to announce that the Barbarinder Production Team has just approved a theatrical trailer for the forthcoming and eagerly awaited 'Barbarossanova'. The trailer is a three-minute video slideshow which can be opened by clicking on this link.

Coming soon - https://drive.google.com/file/d/11h9OIauJQ3lPwrJgSBAnMrUbpbFeAtk4/view?usp=sharing

Well done :Laie_22mini::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hello everyone. I am starting a new serialized story prompted in part by my recent time in Berlin as well as by bits and pieces from several old films and books. Here is the opening episode. New episodes will be posted here daily, so watch for them and enjoy.

Berlin Diary

Episode 1. Thursday afternoon, 30 July 1936.

With nose pressed against the glass, I gazed out as my train pulled into the cavernous interior of Berlin’s Anhalter Bahnhof. I studied the expectant faces of the clusters of people standing on the platform under the “Gleis 4” signs, each searching for the faces of loved ones or friends aboard the green-liveried Deutsche Reichsbahn coaches.

With a hiss of steam and the metallic howl of locking steel wheels, the express shuddered to a jolting halt. The man sitting next to me rose from his seat and kindly reached up to the overhead rack to hand me my suitcase. Thanking him politely, I exited the compartment and made my way down the corridor to the carriage door.

I hopped down to the platform, pressing my little cloche hat to my head, and joined the throng streaming toward the prominently placed overhead sign that read “Ausgang.” As we neared the end of the platform, everyone dutifully queued up before a checkpoint manned by two brown-shirted SA stormtroopers … one sitting at a small table, the other standing behind, hands on hips … both stony-faced.

The SA men were taking their work seriously. The queue inched forward. People chatted. No one seemed anxious. Germans are certainly docile in the face of authority, I noted. Bored, I craned my neck to stare in wonder at the station’s huge vaulted iron and glass canopy roof.

In time, I reached the head of the queue. The SA man at the desk looked me over from head to toe, holding his gaze for a moment part way down … presumably to mentally assess the size and shape of my breasts hidden beneath my puffy sleeved pale yellow blouse … then with a frown he growled, “Ihre Papieren bitte.”

I set my suitcase down, fumbled in my handbag for passport and papers, and then handed them over with a smile that was not returned. He snatched them from me, leaving me to stare at the flat top of his brown kepi hat while he leaned forward to study my papers. Then he looked up at me, his piercing blue eyes studiously matching the photo in my passport to my face.

“You are Barbara Moore … American?” he asked unnecessarily in carefully clipped English.

I nodded affirmatively.

“Student?” he continued, adding quizzically “32 years old?”

“Here in Berlin to take up my post graduate studies at Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität,” I offered helpfully and a little proudly too.

He looked at me blankly, passing my papers back with a nod to his colleague, who leafed through them indifferently. I rocked gently to and fro on my heels, feeling a little self-conscious … eyes cast down at the pleats of my fashionable new “handkerchief” serge blue skirt … waiting nervously. After what seemed an eternity, the second SA man looked up, and actually smiled.

“What is your area of study Fräulein Moore?”

“Modern German art and literature.”

He nodded, offered me my papers back, clicked his heels, threw out his arm and barked, “Heil Hitler!”

I raised my hand uncertainly and sidled awkwardly past him, holding my breath, taking care not to look back, and made a bee-line for the station exit.

Passing through the oversized front portal doors, and emerging on the edge of Askanischer Platz ... directly across from the imposing facade of the Excelsior Hotel, the largest in Europe ... I let out an audible sigh of relief. A rush of exultations raced through my mind … “Made it! Thank God that SA trooper was satisfied! But, now I am here! Here in Berlin! … a dream come true after all I have had to do make it happen! … and what an auspicious time to arrive too! … in two days Berlin will host the Olympic Games … the XI Olympiad … and I will be here to witness it!”

As I made my way away from the station in the direction of nearby Potsdamer Platz, the pre-Olympic excitement was palpable. Berlin was decked out everywhere in red bunting and banners adorned with black swastikas set in white disks. Even on a Thursday afternoon, the streets were full of people enjoying the festival-like atmosphere.

I wanted to stay and take it all in … to take my place at a sidewalk café on one of the world’s most infamous squares, and just watch the people … but with suitcase in hand and the afternoon waning, I knew that I had better seek out my lodgings. So, after asking directions, I headed off on foot for Bülowstrasse and the boarding house where a room was waiting for me.

My knock on the door was answered by a Frau Kranke, a middle-aged hatchet-faced woman with a Party pin prominently displayed on the white collar of her faded floral print dress. We exchanged perfunctory greetings. She didn’t smile even once. I was lectured on the rules of the establishment, including the strict prohibition on male visitors in my room, and led upstairs to the door of my lodging just off the second floor landing.

I opened the door and wrinkled my nose. It smelled a bit musty. I set my suitcase on the floor, and began my inspection by opening and closing the wardrobe door. Turning about slowly, I took in the faded wallpaper, the threadbare drapes, the sagging bed mattress, the cracked lampshade on the night stand, and the cheaply framed portrait of Adolf Hitler mounted prominently over the headboard.

Frau Kranke informed me of the bath down the hall and the need to reserve time for its use, and of the charge for hot water. I inquired whether the bath was immediately free, explaining my need to freshen up after my long journey. She nodded in the affirmative, then held out her hand and demanded two month’s rent in advance.

I rummaged in my handbag for the money, which she snatched without a word and stomped off, leaving me to collapse on the bed, feeling a little less happy than before. Perhaps in two months I can find something more suitable I told myself.

Then, remembering the bath, I slowly undressed, padded nakedly across the short distance to the wardrobe and removed the frayed, and not all too large, bath towel hanging inside. I wrapped it around my torso, tucking it under my armpits. It came down just to the very tops of my thighs.

Stepping over to the door, I opened it cautiously and peeked down the hallway to see whether the coast was clear. It was, so I rushed down to the bathroom as quickly as I could … only to find the door locked!

I rapped gently. It opened immediately and a tall young man emerged to block the doorway with his lean muscular body, wet hair combed straight back and wearing only a small towel around his waist. He was incredibly handsome … in an Adonis-like way ... causing me to stare at him speechless.

“Well, well … now, who are you?” he said in German, regarding my skimpily towel-clad figure with a shamelessly rakish grin.

TO BE CONTINUED
Nice setting Barbaria!

- Rory MacLean

Wonderful work, Barnarinder / Barb'n'Bob! The trailer looks very sleek--certainly a good omen for things to come!

Wonderful work, Barnarinder / Barb'n'Bob! The trailer looks very sleek--certainly a good omen for things to come!
Thanks, Shiva. 'Barbarossanova' will have its own thread, 'Coming Soon'! :)

cruxchronicle madiosi.gif
Saturday February 3rd 2018

World Holds its Breath for Barbarossanova

‘We promise a Visceral Experience!’ says Star

barbarossanova___confrontation_1sepia_7_15_by_bobnearled-dc21xjn.jpg

By Spike Sharp

On a crisp day in early February 2018 I was able to catch up with Bob Inder, Executive Director of Barbarossanova, at a secret location in Whitehall. He had been at a meeting with the Culture Secretary and I was able to snatch a few moments with them both before he returned to the Pinewood Film Studios. In a scoop for the Crux Chronicle, we were also able to get in touch by Skype with the star of Barbarossanova, Barbara Moore.

As his limousine waited outside on double red lines unchallenged by police, I began by asking about the likely release date. “Well,” he winked, “let’s just say that Barbarossanova will be coming to a screen near you well before the next Blue Moon!”

I asked the Culture Secretary for his thoughts. “Like you, I’ve only seen the trailer,” he replied, “but I’m very much looking forward to it. Barbarossanova appears to combine historical verisimilitude with high drama and fast paced action. Not to mention plenty of sex and nudity. ”

“That goes without saying,” added Bob, with a smile. “It does have Barb Moore in it.”

The Culture Secretary swiftly changed the subject. “It is very significant that this production is going to take place in the same year as the 70th anniversary of the Berlin Airlift!”

Airlift HenryRies_Rosinenbomber.jpeg

I wondered about the cast other than Barb Moore, who also co-Directs with Bob. “We have some big names in this production, and associated with it," smiled Bob. "Alisa Kusinova, Vassily Ilyasov, Boris Baikal, Klaus Erbe, Val Crozier, Grigor Vladovich, and Alice Lorraine; and we have also been lucky enough to sign Windar as Consultant Editor and Madiosi as Post Production Artistic Director.”

I have to admit even I was impressed. This should win awards aplenty. But it was time to turn the heat up on him. “We’ve had Harvey Weinstein. We’ve had Kevin Spacey. Can I assure our readers that the ladies involved were all treated with the utmost respect throughout the production?”

The Culture Secretary looked a bit fidgety, but Bob wasn’t rattled at all. “Ab. So. Lutely,” he replied, looking me straight in the eye. “Right down to the humblest stagehand, every man was a perfect gentleman.”

For some reason we lost the signal to Barb at that moment, as she had some kind of coughing fit, but it was quickly restored, so I thought I’d better get some quotes from her while the technology held up. I asked her what it was like working with Bob and the team.

barbarossanova_preview_poster_5_clean_sepia_7_15_by_bobnearled-dc21w8l.jpg

“The cinematic style is conducive to creative inspiration. I write a scene, which prompts new visuals from Bob, and they in turn inspire more writing - it makes for a very productive partnership. As the screenplay author, I have to acknowledge the contributions of Bob and Windar, who have both written parts of the narrative and introduced concepts for me to develop. Madi's local knowledge of East Germany and his assistance in translations have been invaluable.” She stopped short of thanking her parents, but I wondered if she was practicing her awards acceptance speeches on me. Fair enough if she was, she may well be up for a ‘Best Starring Role’.

“The subject matter is quite tough, isn’t it?” I asked.

“The invasion of East Prussia is a tough part of the story,” she agreed. “The Red Army was understandably vindictive, but it was a desperate struggle for all combatants and even more so for civilian refugees caught in the middle of the conflict. There are no winners in a war - just survivors and losers. Human behaviour reaches extremes of violence and the human condition experiences extremes of suffering.”

I said that I thought it sounded like quite a white knuckle ride. “Well,” she responded, 'The historical background provides a wealth of material. We wanted to make 'Barbarossanova' more than just a story. We wanted to recreate a visceral experience.”

“It certainly will be quite a ride!” added Bob. “We’ll be following the action from Berlin, through Czechoslovakia, Russia, and Lithuania and then back to Germany again. Has there been liberation, or just more oppression? We shall see!”

At that moment the interview was over. The Chauffeur was in the doorway, looking at his watch in a marked manner, the Culture Secretary had to nip back to the House of Commons in response to a three-line whip, and Barb had to take a call from her agent.

I quickly thanked them for their time, and sat and caught my breath.

Gentle Reader, this is going to be quite some story!

barbarossanova_preview_poster_3_by_bobnearled-dbz9iaq.jpg

Now hold it just a minute there, Spike old boy. Allow me to quote from the source herself:
Barbara Moore – reached Prague safely late in the afternoon of 3 August 1936. She, Klaus and Katrin enjoyed a sumptuous meal that evening in one of Prague’s best restaurants, and a most "pleasurable" night in Prague’s Grand Hotel Bohemia. The next morning she went out for a morning stroll and never returned. Official NKVD documents uncovered and made public in 2014 revealed that she was abducted and taken to Moscow, questioned and tortured in the Lubyanka, and shot.

I went back into the archives of our august newspaper, which may I remind you is The Paper of Record , unlike your daily fried fish wrapper, and we published that story from our Moscow Correspondent, one Philip J. Goldman (no relation). So, I'm going to be keeping a close eye on things, Spike, because I smell a rat or a squirrel or some kind of rodent...

Back
Top Bottom