Bridewell, my Penance, my Pain

Go to CruxDreams.com
Bridewell, my Penance, my Pain Part 5

Elsbeth is sent to the prison hospital by Matron Wilby ,to be treated. At least that is a comforting thought , although I do not particularly like the thought of having to see the creepy surgeon again. I shivered as I have bad thoughts of him rubbing salve on my welted bottom. It will be four days before we before any of us see Elsbeth again.

The matron takes us to the workroom first. As we enter someone yells “ It’s the Matron, everybody up.” Immediately all twenty or so women rise to their feet, standing behind the spinning wheel that they are manning. “The governor has sent us some new blood. I’m sure that you will welcome these girls as it will lighten your workload. There will be one more , but she will be spending a few days with the surgeon. Seems like she ran into a little problem with a birch rod. Several of the women sniggered, but a few moaned when the matron said “ I believe some of you know her…Barton, Elsbeth Barton.” I can see the fear in several of the women’s eyes.

We are made to pair up with one of the prisoners at a spinning wheel to observe how to run the machines. I, having owned a dress shop, am very acquainted with the spinning wheel and how to use it but I am sure others are not. I am paired with a woman named Alice in her early thirties, probably ten years my senior. 3510731A-E442-4805-8119-2736A32A3CA9.jpegShe has only been at Bridewell for a few weeks and is still struggling with attaching the free wool to the end of the yarn . I show her a trick I had learned as a child that made the job easier. She is pleased, I have made my first friend at Bridewell. We stay and observe until the bell rings for dinner. All the workers get up and pull two tables out into the open area in front of the spinning wheels. Soon the chairs are all moved around the table and pewter bowls and spoons follow. Wooden cups are filled with milk and a large pot of stew with bits of meat wis placed on each table. We are each given a piece of bread and after a short blessing we are able to eat. Maybe it is because I have not eaten all day, but much to my surprise the food is actually tasty.

After everything is cleaned up we are brought to the women’s barracks area of the prison . The “new girls” as they call us, each are given a rough woven nightgown, a narrow blanket, a bar of soap, and a comb. We are paired up with a bedmate as everyone slept two to a bed. The beds are not very wide with straw mattresses. I am lucky, my bedmate, named Edna, is slim like me. I had been afraid that I was to share a bed with one of the larger women. Before we are allowed to get ready for the candles out bell, the “ new girls” are led by one of the night guards Mrs Walker to what used to be the dungeon of the prison. There we meet Matron Wilby in a small room that contains a capstan, similar to that used to pull the anchors up on large ships. 68B704F5-DCD3-478F-A702-FC4232F361D8.jpegIt has been in days past, used to pump water from the river nearby up to the large tank at the top of the main building. It is no longer needed for that task but is now used as an instrument of punishment for especially the male prisoners but also some of the women.

To my surprise, a half naked woman is tied to one of the arms of the device. Her long dark hair is tied up in a bun atop her head and she is bare to the waste, she wears only her bottom drawers. The Matron speaks, “ You new girls take heed. Baxter here has decided that Rules are made for the other prisoners, not her. See what happens to prisoners who don’t know their place, begin now.” “ Push “ says one of the female guards as she swings a short whip, and strikes the slender woman between the shoulder blades. The woman grunts and begins to push and the capstan begins to slowly turn. I can tell it is not easy work as the poor woman’s toes dig into the dirt floor and I can see the muscles in her calf’s and thighs as she pushes the machine into motion. After the intial energy to start that wooden contraption to move the girl begins pushing the arm steadily as she circles around to pass us for the first time. Crack, the lash stings her back once again “faster” yells the guard. The girl picks up the pace slightly, I can see pain etched on her face. I can see perspiration on her skin, her breasts jiggling, as she pushes hard to maintain her pace. Each time she passes by the guard she receives another viscous stroke of the lash.
4E335E6E-D5E0-4B21-81B2-ABD4B1837FDE.jpeg
After ten minutes she is finally allowed to rest and given a drink of water. She leans over the arm of the capstan to rest for the allotted five minutes. Then the process starts again. The poor girl is crying out now with each stroke, her body stiffens and her head is thrown back. Her back is quite red now from shoulders to her waist. In obvious pain she keeps pushing forward. I can tell she is beginning to tire. She is quite bent forward from the waist now, her toes really digging in. She almost stumbles once but is able to keep her feet. She gets two hard slashes this time as she moves past. I notice the tears streaming down her cheeks. Finally her 5 minutes of rest has come. As she bends over the arm of the capstan once again she tries to catch her breath.

When she is able to speak Alice Baxter begins pleading for mercy “ Please Matron, I’ve learnt my lesson. I’ll be a good girl I will.” Matron Wilby coldly replies “ You should have thought of being a good girl before. You need a good lesson and this night’s activity will do you good. You’ll not want to test me again or it will be far worse.”

Her five minutes of rest come to an end with the crack of the whip. She screams this time as her toes dig in and she propels the machine into motion. I can tell she is really laboring now. She stumbles onto her knees after only a few minutes… the guard is upon her immediately raining several savage blows on her reddened back. Alice Baxter scrabbles back to her feet with a scream, her head bent, she pushes. I can see welts beginning to form on her back now. I do believe that soon we will see blood.
AE15C5BE-0A9D-4F61-88ED-6E4837768A85.jpeg
Matron Wilby, gathered us together to bring us back to our sleeping quarters but turns her head toward the guard “ Give this bitch another two hours. You better go to 10 minute rest spells or I fear she won’t make it. Don’t be stingy with the lash.” I could hear the poor girl cry out, as we left the room. “ No. No. Please, Mercy please!”

By the time we reached the sleeping quarters the bell had already rung for candles out. We quietly took our places next to our bedmates. As I drew my blanket around me, I began to cry. It was my first day in Bridewell. I had witnessed so much brutality and suffering. I don’t deserve to be here, yet here I am. How am I going to survive four years in such a harsh place? I didn’t linger long on my thoughts as exhaustion overcame me and I fell into a deep sleep.
( to be continued )

Last edited:
The main character in the story is Aslin Pennyworth. Elsbeth of course will be one of Aslin’s protagonists. The first paragraph of this fifth chapter may be a bit confusing.sorry if it was.
Not at all, the other girls obviously don’t like Elspeth- I look forward to discovering why. Very engaging writing, @Aslin nee 8ball - I love that capstan punishment/ hear that lash! Faster, girl- Whirr-crack!

As we see Matron Willby lessons of humility are intensive, very painfull and sometimes long. She knows how to break stubborn bitch, who doesn't follow the rules. I don't know if our heroine Aslin is conscious what ordeal is before her if she can sleep that sweetly in prison workhouse. This could be her big mistake.

Bridewell, my Penance, my Pain. Pt 5

When I awake I am refreshed but I have this strange feeling in the pit of my stomach. The type of feeling you get when you know something bad is going to happen. Everything went well the first few days. First thing in the morning after the morning bell we are allowed to wash a bit and comb our hair before we dress ourselves and tidy our bed area. Breakfast in the workroom comes next. The same process as the night before, moving the tables and chairs. The food is more than adequate and actually tastes better than I thought it would.

The work is not backbreaking but everyone is expected to keep up a brisk pace. There is no idle talking among the workers or the two day guards, Mrs Wilson and Mrs Adams, will yell “ Shut up and do your work or you’ll damn well feel my stick.” They both have a cane hanging from their belts. It is a stick over a meter long about the thickness of a second finger. The cane looks wicked and just the thought of it impacting my skin makes me cringe.

The wake-up bell is at 5:30 in the morning, breakfast at 6:30 and work begins at 7 am. The work continues until 1pm with a break of 1/2 hour for a light lunch then back to work until the supper bell at 7pm. After supper we are allowed free time until
the lights out bell at 9 pm. The times are strictly adhered to or there are dire consequences.

The first week started out better than I had hoped but that all changed dramatically on day five, consequently, with the return of Elsbeth. She rolled in after dinner and by candles out, the world I had come accustomed to was changing drastically. Mrs Parker, the other night guard walked up to me and said
“ Pennyworth your changing bunk mates, we can’t have two of you skinny ninnies sharing a bed. Your new partner is Elsbeth Barton. I don’t want no trouble from either of you.” I see her wink at Elsbeth, as she turns away.

The candles out bell rings and Elsbeth smiles at me. “Time for bed Pennyworth. I hope it’ll be warm and cozy after that cold hard hospital bed.” My heart sinks and a chill runs thru me. I know now, that things have changed and I have no control over any of it. I hesitantly crawl into my corner of the small bed. Elsbeth’s hands are all over me. I turn my back and pull my blanket as tightly around me as possible. It does no good. She reaches between my legs, her hand under my rough shift. I try to move away and lose my narrow perch on the bed. I crash to the floor with a thud. I grunt. The wind is knocked out of me.

The other women stir but no one says a thing or maybe they are afraid to say anything. I hear my new bunk mate laughing. I decide it is better to sleep on the floor than to climb back in bed with Elsbeth. 8133D8F9-A177-465F-9C04-419336D2BF80.jpegIt takes a long while before sleep comes my way. Suddenly I am awakened by a searing pain in my hip, followed by two more searing pains between my hip and knee. My eyes open to Mrs Parker with her arm raised. I turn trying to avoid the fourth slash of her cane but it catches me on the buttocks covered only by my thin shift and thin blanket. I cry out and scramble to my feet.

Mrs Parker yells “ Why aren’t you in bed Pennyworth? Who gave you permission to leave your bed?” Rubbing my bottom I reply that I had been pushed out of bed by my bedmate. “Barton, did you push Pennyworth out of bed?” The guard asked sternly. Ellsbeth in the most innocent voice answers “ I did Mrs Parker. ‘Er hands were all over me, I telled her no but she wont take no for an answer. So I pushed her off.”
I stiffened “ It was not me with the hands but her hands on me” I cried out. Everyone in the room was awake now. Mrs Parker asked the others “ Will anyone here vouch for Pennyworth. Did you see or hear what Pennyworth said happened?” Not a word is said by anyone.

Mrs Parker grabs me by the ear, her cane at the ready. “We keep our hands to ourselves here, Pennyworth. And then to lie about it. A night in the closet will do well to learn you the rules you lying little bitch” Parker led me to a door just down the hallway from the sleeping quarters. Opening the door she pushes my head down , thrusts me in and slams the door shut. The space is dark, not tall enough for me to stand, and too narrow for me to sit or kneel. After only a matter of minutes my muscles are cramping, and my legs shaking as I stand in a bent position trying to find a comfortable pose. I pray that the morning bell comes soon.22AD7B6F-7E3D-44AC-AABE-67504380A6BC.jpeg
(To be continued)

Note : I will be offline for the holidays. I will be back sometime after New Years Day. I have also added new chapters to my stories : Ordeal of the Redheaded Gypsies and also Selected for the Cardinal . Happy holidays to all of you.

Last edited:
Bridewell, My Penance, My Pain Part 6

I hear the morning bell ring and yet no one comes for me. I am delirious with pain. My pain and the cramping have increased exponentially throughout the night. Is that really the bell I hear or is it my imagination.Is it because I want out of this narrow space so badly that I am hearing things. Please, someone come for me before I die in this closet. I am not yet ready to face death.
8DB1F064-66DD-4103-8C03-37F8DF5532C5.jpeg
It is some time before she comes for me. It is Mrs Parker who opens the door and pulls me from “the closet” saying “ Well Pennyworth did you enjoy your stay.” I moan and immediately dropped to the floor, my legs too numb to hold me upright.
Mrs Parker sneers “I hope you have learned your lesson, you lying little bitch. You are tallying demerits faster than a fox running from the hounds. Keep that up and you can expect it to be a very severe four years. By the way, you have already missed breakfast and did not tidy your bed and possessions, two more demerits. The work bell is about to ring, Pennyworth. Hurry to put your work clothes on and rush to your workstation or you’ll get more demerits.”

I beg her for help but she just walks away. My legs still feel so heavy I can’t stand. I crawl on my belly to the dormitory. I am able to pull myself up onto the cot I share with Elsbeth, and I struggle to pull off my nightclothes and put on my work dress. I hear the work bell, I am late. FF12A3AA-6101-4A73-A309-009443F20117.jpegI have no time to comb my plastered hair or wash my tear streaked cheeks. I am now able to stand but I can barely walk as I make my way toward the workroom.

When I finally get to the workroom I am dismayed to see everyone working hard at their spinning wheels and even more dismayed to see Mrs Wilson, the day guard, and Matron Wilby standing by my vacant spinning wheel. Matron Wilby straightens as she spies me slinking into the workroom “Pennyworth so nice of you to join us. Your poor choices this morning have earned you more demerits and will have you working through your lunch break both today and the rest of the week.”
I tried to explain myself but matron Wilby spat back “ Not another word Pennyworth or I’ll beat your skinny arse raw” My heart sinks as I shut my mouth and drop onto my stool and begin to spin. “ Wilson” the matron says “ Add another demerit for her sloppy appearance and double this lazy bitches quota for the next week and double any demerits she earns. If she needs encouragement, don’t be stingy with that cane of yours.”

I work through lunch with Wilson not “sparing the rod” if I hesitate even a little bit. The cane hurts enough through my clothes that I can’t imagine what it would feel like on bare flesh. I am caught up with my daily quota by the time the others return from their lunch but my quota has been doubled which makes it almost impossible for me to meet each day. I work extra fast but there is no way I can do it.

I am dead tired, my emotions overcome me and I begin to cry. I get no sympathy only four cracks of the cane across my bent back. I cry out in pain. I hear Elsbeth snigger “ I told you, Pennyworth, cry babies get it worse in here!” I make it through the work day but I do not make my doubled work quota. Two more demerits, I don’t know what that means but it can’t be good. I eat my supper ravenously, as it has been 24 hours since I have eaten any food. I just want to crawl back onto my cot and sleep but we are told to remain in our workroom/ dining room for the matron.

She brings the news that the prison governor, Governor Barker, has been stricken ill and died this very day. A new governor, Governor Abbott, an ex sea captain has been appointed but must travel halfway around the world to get here. “Those awaiting their welcomes or farewells will have to wait until the new governor arrives. Expect those welcome and farewell punishments to change as rumor has it that the new governor believes in the benefits of severe discipline. I anticipate quite a lengthy punishment day soon after his arrival.

We are finally led back to the prison dormitory and I am first to change into my night clothing and lay on my cot. I fall asleep immediately, exhausted from last nights sleeplessness and the days ordeals. When the candles out bell rings, my bunk mate Elsbeth , plunks down next to me. Her hands are all over me, touching and squeezing everywhere. I am too tired to resist. Eventually she tires of me and my non-response, rolls to the other side, muttering “What a dead fish you are, Pennyworth.”

I sleep deeply this night but it is the next night that changed things significantly for me. I was awakened by Mrs Parker, dragged from my bed and roughly pushed down the corridor, I am relieved when we pass the “ closet” but dismayed when we start down the steps that lead to the dungeon. I begin to shake. I know this is not going to end well. I think of poor Alice Baxter toiling under the whip as she turns the capstan. Am I to take her place ? As we enter the dungeon-like room I see Matron Wilby. She straightens and orders “ Strip to your drawers, Pennyworth.” 4327186B-94F5-4B3B-8F90-8237B8C0653E.jpeg My stomach lurches as I see four men talking to the matron their backs to me. This can’t be. I am to be punished half naked in front of men. This isn’t right. Not in front of these men.

A cuff across the back of my head brings me back to my senses. “ Do as the matron says, you lazy cow or you’ll spend all night turning that wheel” yelled Parker. Crying I pull my night gown over my head and stand in only my drawers, my arms cross over my bare breasts. B820CDBA-4B73-47C1-B01D-2D5869F97855.jpeg“Hands behind your head and don’t you dare move them.” I did as I was told, not wanting to anger the Matron. My heart felt like it stopped beating and I gasped when the men turned. It was Miles Coward, the vile man I had slapped and embarrassed those many months ago. The man who held much of my dead husbands debts. The man responsible for me being in prison. I shivered as his eyes move to my naked breasts. “ Aslin Pennyworth we meet again. So nice of you to join our midnight party, in fact, I am so happy that you will be providing us entertainment. I have been looking forward, ever so much, to see you start suffering for your insolence.” I grimace as I see a wicked looking strap in his hand. He smiles, moving his piercing eyes to my face “What? Such a sad face. You don’t appear so haughty now, do you? Oh, by the way, have you met my aunt Esther? I believe you know her as Matron Wilby.” (To be continued)

Bridewell, My Penance, My Pain Part 6

I hear the morning bell ring and yet no one comes for me. I am delirious with pain. My pain and the cramping have increased exponentially throughout the night. Is that really the bell I hear or is it my imagination.Is it because I want out of this narrow space so badly that I am hearing things. Please, someone come for me before I die in this closet. I am not yet ready to face death.
View attachment 1111996
It is some time before she comes for me. It is Mrs Parker who opens the door and pulls me from “the closet” saying “ Well Pennyworth did you enjoy your stay.” I moan and immediately dropped to the floor, my legs too numb to hold me upright.
Mrs Parker sneers “I hope you have learned your lesson, you lying little bitch. You are tallying demerits faster than a fox running from the hounds. Keep that up and you can expect it to be a very severe four years. By the way, you have already missed breakfast and did not tidy your bed and possessions, two more demerits. The work bell is about to ring, Pennyworth. Hurry to put your work clothes on and rush to your workstation or you’ll get more demerits.”

I beg her for help but she just walks away. My legs still feel so heavy I can’t stand. I crawl on my belly to the dormitory. I am able to pull myself up onto the cot I share with Elsbeth, and I struggle to pull off my nightclothes and put on my work dress. I hear the work bell, I am late. View attachment 1111997I have no time to comb my plastered hair or wash my tear streaked cheeks. I am now able to stand but I can barely walk as I make my way toward the workroom.

When I finally get to the workroom I am dismayed to see everyone working hard at their spinning wheels and even more dismayed to see Mrs Wilson, the day guard, and Matron Wilby standing by my vacant spinning wheel. Matron Wilby straightens as she spies me slinking into the workroom “Pennyworth so nice of you to join us. Your poor choices this morning have earned you more demerits and will have you working through your lunch break both today and the rest of the week.”
I tried to explain myself but matron Wilby spat back “ Not another word Pennyworth or I’ll beat your skinny arse raw” My heart sinks as I shut my mouth and drop onto my stool and begin to spin. “ Wilson” the matron says “ Add another demerit for her sloppy appearance and double this lazy bitches quota for the next week and double any demerits she earns. If she needs encouragement, don’t be stingy with that cane of yours.”

I work through lunch with Wilson not “sparing the rod” if I hesitate even a little bit. The cane hurts enough through my clothes that I can’t imagine what it would feel like on bare flesh. I am caught up with my daily quota by the time the others return from their lunch but my quota has been doubled which makes it almost impossible for me to meet each day. I work extra fast but there is no way I can do it.

I am dead tired, my emotions overcome me and I begin to cry. I get no sympathy only four cracks of the cane across my bent back. I cry out in pain. I hear Elsbeth snigger “ I told you, Pennyworth, cry babies get it worse in here!” I make it through the work day but I do not make my doubled work quota. Two more demerits, I don’t know what that means but it can’t be good. I eat my supper ravenously, as it has been 24 hours since I have eaten any food. I just want to crawl back onto my cot and sleep but we are told to remain in our workroom/ dining room for the matron.

She brings the news that the prison governor, Governor Barker, has been stricken ill and died this very day. A new governor, Governor Abbott, an ex sea captain has been appointed but must travel halfway around the world to get here. “Those awaiting their welcomes or farewells will have to wait until the new governor arrives. Expect those welcome and farewell punishments to change as rumor has it that the new governor believes in the benefits of severe discipline. I anticipate quite a lengthy punishment day soon after his arrival.

We are finally led back to the prison dormitory and I am first to change into my night clothing and lay on my cot. I fall asleep immediately, exhausted from last nights sleeplessness and the days ordeals. When the candles out bell rings, my bunk mate Elsbeth , plunks down next to me. Her hands are all over me, touching and squeezing everywhere. I am too tired to resist. Eventually she tires of me and my non-response, rolls to the other side, muttering “What a dead fish you are, Pennyworth.”

I sleep deeply this night but it is the next night that changed things significantly for me. I was awakened by Mrs Parker, dragged from my bed and roughly pushed down the corridor, I am relieved when we pass the “ closet” but dismayed when we start down the steps that lead to the dungeon. I begin to shake. I know this is not going to end well. I think of poor Alice Baxter toiling under the whip as she turns the capstan. Am I to take her place ? As we enter the dungeon-like room I see Matron Wilby. She straightens and orders “ Strip to your drawers, Pennyworth.” View attachment 1111994 My stomach lurches as I see four men talking to the matron their backs to me. This can’t be. I am to be punished half naked in front of men. This isn’t right. Not in front of these men.

A cuff across the back of my head brings me back to my senses. “ Do as the matron says, you lazy cow or you’ll spend all night turning that wheel” yelled Parker. Crying I pull my night gown over my head and stand in only my drawers, my arms cross over my bare breasts. View attachment 1111991“Hands behind your head and don’t you dare move them.” I did as I was told, not wanting to anger the Matron. My heart felt like it stopped beating and I gasped when the men turned. It was Miles Coward, the vile man I had slapped and embarrassed those many months ago. The man who held much of my dead husbands debts. The man responsible for me being in prison. I shivered as his eyes move to my naked breasts. “ Aslin Pennyworth we meet again. So nice of you to join our midnight party, in fact, I am so happy that you will be providing us entertainment. I have been looking forward, ever so much, to see you start suffering for your insolence.” I grimace as I see a wicked looking strap in his hand. He smiles, moving his piercing eyes to my face “What? Such a sad face. You don’t appear so haughty now, do you? Oh, by the way, have you met my aunt Esther? I believe you know her as Matron Wilby.” (To be continued)
Looking forward to reading of the suffering of poor Pennyworth. I have a feeling her bottom is about to pay a high price.

Back
Top Bottom