Burned at the stake

Go to CruxDreams.com
Actually, using 'green', freshly-cut wood that burns more slowly
was a way of prolonging the torture, not a mercy.

Sorry if my over-realistic fantasies upset some of you -
I do agree that the preparation and anticipation are the most arousing part,
but I do imagine myself into the agony and trying to cope with it -
whether it's being burnt at the stake or crucified.
Obviously we all have different limits and no-go areas -
for me, for personal reasons, hanging, strangulation, asphyxiation are off-limits -
but of course I don't object to threads or posts that are on those topics,
and I don't think the actual experience of being burnt
can or should be air-brushed out from a thread called 'burned at the stake'.

You must show them mercy...
Sizzle you said?
Oh my God...:eek:
Can anyone explain..?
It's horrible method of execution... Horrible, without any aesthetic feelings...
What did you find?

Yes, It's horrible. In MY mind and it's yours. And much more importantly, you joined Marcella's imagination. So what ??? Did you think I waited for you to have extreme fantasies? Don't you realize Marcella wanted someone like you to free herselve? Come on, boy, please...

Yes, It's horrible. In MY mind and it's yours. And much more importantly, you joined Marcella's imagination. So what ??? Did you think I waited for you to have extreme fantasies? Don't you realize Marcella wanted someone like you to free herselve? Come on, boy, please...
What are you talking about?

Actually, using 'green', freshly-cut wood that burns more slowly
was a way of prolonging the torture, not a mercy.
I was thinking about a -somewhat comical - situation, where the wood is so wet and fresh that it would not burn at all, leading to the cancelation of the execution.:doh:

Wet wood will probably produce thick white smoke, making breathing difficult for the condemned. It has furthermore been demonstrated that, above the fire, carbonmonoxide and other lethal gases will occur which will, in combination with a lack of oxygen, result into passing out of the condemned before the fire starts blazing. Likewise, slow burning may be an act of mercy as well?

I was thinking about a -somewhat comical - situation, where the wood is so wet and fresh that it would not burn at all, leading to the cancelation of the execution.:doh:

Wet wood will probably produce thick white smoke, making breathing difficult for the condemned. It has furthermore been demonstrated that, above the fire, carbonmonoxide and other lethal gases will occur which will, in combination with a lack of oxygen, result into passing out of the condemned before the fire starts blazing. Likewise, slow burning may be an act of mercy as well?

Historically, being 'burned alive' just meant 'being submitted to asphyxia'. Not my cup of tea. And, interestingly, the heretics who 'changed their minds' at the last minute were garroted before the flames consumed their bodies...

Yes, people who were burnt alive probably lost consciousness because of smoke inhalation and died of asphyxia before they experienced prolonged exposure to the flames - I think most deaths in accidental fires in buildings today still have the same cause. However, bear in mind that until modern times, people were pretty skillful in making fires for different purposes, from slow-burning ones for charcoal to roaring furnaces for steel, and they knew how to control and minimise smoke pretty well too - after all, they had open fires indoors, yet generally managed not to die of asphyxia. One of the texts, the Malleus Maleficarum I think, does refer to using 'green' (freshly cut, dry but unseasoned) wood as a way of prolonging the ordeal for an obstinate witch. It would take longer to heat up, giving her a last chance to confess and be 'mercifully' garroted.

I recently read a book on the treatment of Indian (Native Americans) and their captives. When captives were burned at he stake the wood was pleas a short distance from the victim so the fire roasted the captive but the flames did not burn them. This was a slow death that could take hours. The Indians enjoyed taking burning sticks from the circle of fire and applying them to sensitive parts of the captives body. The captive might die from the fire, beating with sticks or killed with a knife or tomahawk. The body was feed to the dogs.

Another story described two captives that were stripped naked and then tied spread eagle between two posts. The Warriors then lined up single file and walked past the captive using knives and flints to slice the captive from neck to legs. This went on for an hour or so and the captives begged to die to end their suffering.

Yes, in the 'Night of Fire' scene in my Interrogation and Punishment Centre for Girls novel,
a girl near where I'm made to stand and watch is chained up spreadeagled on a scaffold
and tortured slowly to death with flame-gun, hot irons, hot tearing hooks,
quite short bursts of agony, starting on her legs, gradually moving up her back and flanks,
then her breasts, down her abdomen...
long before she loses consciousness, she's driven crazy and screaming to die.

I recently read a book on the treatment of Indian (Native Americans) and their captives. When captives were burned at he stake the wood was pleas a short distance from the victim so the fire roasted the captive but the flames did not burn them. This was a slow death that could take hours. The Indians enjoyed taking burning sticks from the circle of fire and applying them to sensitive parts of the captives body. The captive might die from the fire, beating with sticks or killed with a knife or tomahawk. The body was feed to the dogs.

Another story described two captives that were stripped naked and then tied spread eagle between two posts. The Warriors then lined up single file and walked past the captive using knives and flints to slice the captive from neck to legs. This went on for an hour or so and the captives begged to die to end their suffering.

Attachments

• 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 1,108

nice pics, especially #3: i guess the woman in power will burn the breasts of her victim.
I remeber having seen a film, where a female member of an upraisal was sentenced to be burnt, and an hour or so before the execution started an executioner appeared and put a highly inflamable stuff (pitch?) on her breasts and between her legs.....and all the folks looking cheered

nice pics, especially #3: i guess the woman in power will burn the breasts of her victim.
I remeber having seen a film, where a female member of an upraisal was sentenced to be burnt, and an hour or so before the execution started an executioner appeared and put a highly inflamable stuff (pitch?) on her breasts and between her legs.....and all the folks looking cheered
I like the 2nd pic.

Yes, people who were burnt alive probably lost consciousness because of smoke inhalation and died of asphyxia before they experienced prolonged exposure to the flames - I think most deaths in accidental fires in buildings today still have the same cause. However, bear in mind that until modern times, people were pretty skillful in making fires for different purposes, from slow-burning ones for charcoal to roaring furnaces for steel, and they knew how to control and minimise smoke pretty well too - after all, they had open fires indoors, yet generally managed not to die of asphyxia. One of the texts, the Malleus Maleficarum I think, does refer to using 'green' (freshly cut, dry but unseasoned) wood as a way of prolonging the ordeal for an obstinate witch. It would take longer to heat up, giving her a last chance to confess and be 'mercifully' garroted.
This as been the subject of much discussion on Stakedamsels Fiery Forum.
Personally, I'm of the opinion that smoke inhalation would not be the primary cause of death in an out door burning. While most people who die in fires today are killed by the effects of toxic smoke and scorched airways from heated gasses; this is because the smoke is trapped indoors. Outdoors, it's a different matter. I made the caparison that while you would not be able to survive long indoors even with a small fire, you can sit right next to an outdoor fire of the same size roasting marshmallows.
Heat would be a killer if the victim is surrounded by the fire, as seems to have been the case in some executions:
cranmerburning.gif
But, if they were above the fire, they would last much longer:
burning.jpg witches (1).jpg witchcraft-witches-witch-hunt-witches-on-the-stake.jpg
By the way, you don't always need a stake:
witches-witch-hunt.jpg Execution-of-Anne-Hendricks-in-Amsterdam-in-1571.jpg
Though, I think this would have ended rather quickly.

This as been the subject of much discussion on Stakedamsels Fiery Forum.
Personally, I'm of the opinion that smoke inhalation would not be the primary cause of death in an out door burning. While most people who die in fires today are killed by the effects of toxic smoke and scorched airways from heated gasses; this is because the smoke is trapped indoors. Outdoors, it's a different matter. I made the caparison that while you would not be able to survive long indoors even with a small fire, you can sit right next to an outdoor fire of the same size roasting marshmallows.
Heat would be a killer if the victim is surrounded by the fire, as seems to have been the case in some executions:
View attachment 410083
But, if they were above the fire, they would last much longer:
View attachment 410084 View attachment 410085 View attachment 410086
By the way, you don't always need a stake:
View attachment 410087 View attachment 410088
Though, I think this would have ended rather quickly.

Very interesting, Naraku. You made a point, here. BATS is certainly a much more 'funny' way of execution than I tought... ;)

Back
Top Bottom