Erotic helplessness : a study of the history of the Damsel in Distress theme in art

Go to CruxDreams.com
I don't know much about El Cid, what happened to his daughters? Can someone please tell me? :)
Abused and raped by their husbands the Counts of Carrión, the daughters of El Cid –Doña Elvira and Doña Sol– were abandoned, bound and semi-naked, in a forest. In the background, the aggressors can be seen fleeing into a clearing. This episode, inspired by one of the most dramatic passages in the Romance del Cid, was very popular amongst nineteenth-century history painters, for the opportunity it provided for displaying their mastery of the nude.
See here:

If I recall correctly they were captured by his enemies, stripped naked and tied to a tree, though they were later recued.
Abused and raped by their husbands the Counts of Carrión, the daughters of El Cid –Doña Elvira and Doña Sol– were abandoned, bound and semi-naked, in a forest. In the background, the aggressors can be seen fleeing into a clearing. This episode, inspired by one of the most dramatic passages in the Romance del Cid, was very popular amongst nineteenth-century history painters, for the opportunity it provided for displaying their mastery of the nude.
See here:

Thank you, :)
In other words, they were victims of domestic violence, right?
It would be nicer to have a painting depicting the detailed situation of "Abused and Raped" instead of "abandoned, bound and semi naked"!! :cool:

See here:
In some versions, they were whipped as well.
I've seen a clip from a movie - looks like its an Italian film from the 60s - where they men tie a one of their spurs onto the end of a belt then whip the women as they ride past on their horses. I saw it in a compilation video and don't know the title.

"Neron ante el cadaver de su madre Agripina"
(Nero before the corpse of his mother Agrippina)
By Arturo Monte-y-Calvo

View attachment 1443477
Agrippina the Younger. She (allegedly) poisoned her husband Claudius and had his son killed so that her son Nero could take the throne. In return, Nero made several attempts to have her killed - not that she didn't have it coming - before finally trying the direct method of sending soldiers to kill her. According to some,she threw open her gown and told the assassins: "Strike here! Level your rage against the womb which gave birth to such a monster.". And they did.
agrippina_DukeBedford1.jpg
Another version of Nero inspecting the body, by Luca Ferrari (Luca da Reggio)
agrippina1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom