Escape to Tampico

Go to CruxDreams.com

In a valley at the southwestern edge of the Sierra Madre Oriental lays a sleepy village, like there are thousands in Mexico. North of it, the valley was split in two by a 300 ft high knoll.

Seen from the slopes of the valley, the sun baked little village looked asleep. But the appearance was deceiving, Bella knew, since there would be no peaceful future for her and Rosita.

“Some Passion Play!”

“Please, Bella, stop complaining!”

“You should have warned me, Rosita!”

“Could I know!? Do not blame me!?”

“You are right! It is Rey I have to talk too! I assure you, the moment he shows up here, I will pour The Mother Of All Complaints over his evil head!”

“I think, even Rey had little to say in this!”

On they arrival, once they had left the car, they were approached by men, of all ages, in Mexican styled suits. Considering the esteem they were given by Rey and the other men, they had a high rank in the organization. Bella figured, they must have been those famous ‘Padrinos’ of the Pecos Cartel.

One of the men, about fifty years old, spoke to them.

“Bienvenidas, señoras, to our yearly Good Friday venue! Consider yourselves as our guests of honour!”

(‘guests of honour’, what’s that supposed to mean, Bella wondered?).

“From this village came the traitor who recently put the security forces on our trail. We have taken appropriate measures! The culprit has been given the sentence he deserved! As was his family! I will not talk about details! Everybody in the village knows what happened to them! Everybody in the village knows that such things will happen if they betray us! Now, as a sign of reconciliation, we came to celebrate Good Friday in this village!”

(‘A fiesta? I am not dressed to it!’ Bella thought).

“You see, señoras, as part of our yearly reconciliation, we have the tradition to set up a passion play, to remind us of all that Christ has died for us on the cross, for our salvation. We therefore have a life sized statue of a crucified Christ to erect! We will show you soon!”

(‘aha’!?)

“All we need to make the scene complete, are the two thieves! And for this part, we have the tradition to elect two people among our organization, whom we offer to the village, as part of the reconciliation! It is role of honour! And for that role, we have elected the two of you!”

“Oh, shit!”

“Please, Señora Moss, mind your language on this holy day!? Just think, you have the honour of being elected as the first women ever to play this part!”

Then, Rey, who had been standing aside, without saying a word, offered them a straw to draw. Bella drew the shortest one.

“So, that is settled, Bella Moss! You will be the bad thief! At last, fate has its own righteousness!”

“Bad thief!? But…!?”

“Prepare them for the passion play!”

Some of the guards, accompanying the Padrinos stepped forward and led Bella and Rosita away. It gradually became clear to Bella, that they were going to…. Crucify them!”

At a place a bit higher, at the foot of the knoll, everything was prepared! Three crosses had been laid out.

“Rosita! Will we be nailed to…”

“I hope not! I only see ropes!”

“Desnuda! Todo!”

“Bella, they order us to strip our clothes, everything!”

“I thought, I understood so! Yikes!”

The pressure was threatening, and Bella and Rosita obeyed.. Moments later, they were laid on the crosses and tied to them with ropes and belts.

Everything was prepared well, a team of apparently experienced men, erected the crosses, all the time neglecting Bella’s protests. These were largely silenced, when they hang on their weight, well secured. For support, they had a handgrip, a small sedile, and a footrest. Still, it was a harsh physical effort, even although the Padrinos had not inflicted too much harshness, as Bella and Rosita would have to serve as background of the diner with the villagers to follow.

A few actors then played scenes from the gospels, with the Padrinos and villagers as onlookers. When it was finished, a small procession passed along, with the Padrinos piously marching behind a local shrine and statue of a Virgin Mary. Then, they gathered for a meal, leaving Bella and Rosita as distant onlookers, overviewing a bit the village from their raised position. They were guarded by three men, who, on demand, offered Bella and Rosita wine to drink from a sponge, dripping a lot over their naked bodies, each time!

“I already drunk better quality!”, Bella complained.

The Christ figure was a life sized wooden sculpture, wearing (to Bella’s annoyance), a blue loincloth. It had some realistic looking whipping welts, but of the most remarkable features of the sculpture was the facial look. It was not a suffering Christ, but a haunting one! The scaring eyes seemed to look everywhere, it was an unescapable gaze, as if they looked inside you. Bella experienced the gaze as from a mad, fanatic and also, in some way, of a lustful man!

The piercing, lustful gaze tormented Bella, even as if it was directed towards Rosita. At a certain moment, Rosita remarked :

“Hey, you two! Stop staring at me like that!”

“But Rosita, seeing you crucified like that is exciting!” Bella had replied.

But soon, fatigue came in, enhanced by the sun. Thirst, flies, dust, sweat,..

Meanwhile the fiesta went on, with plenty of food, drink, a Mexican mariachi band performing.

“Rosita!? How long do you think, we have to stay here!?”

“I am afraid, until Monday or so!?”

“Monday!? Can we hold out so long!? I am already wrecked!?”

“Bella, darling, we are not supposed to…!”

“Oh shit!”

“Very sad, I know!”

“Mexican death culture, I suppose, with that gazing Christ sculpture haunting us!?”

“Something like that!”

“Listen! Rosita! We are not yet dead! Let’s not give up and come with a plan to get us out of here!”

“Easier said than done!”

“Well, I swear! I really swear, I will never touch a glass of Italian Pino Grigio anymore, if I will survive this!”

“Bella!? I think I am dying already! I think I hear angels sing in the distance!”

“Angels!?”

“Yes! Music!”

“You are right! But that’s…”

“Bella!? Is that .. Wagner?”

“Music!? Right you are! But I do not think angels will play Wagner! But is it Wagner?!”

“Bella! Now I hear rotors!”

“Rosita!? Angels do not come by helicopter!”

(to be continued)

The Good Friday party was totally surprised when several helicopters landed, armed men jumped out, and soon got control over the place. When the operation was secured, a last helicopter landed nearby the crosses, throwing up a lot of dust over the crucified’s sweating bodies.

Then, Bella saw a few man emerging from the dust.

“Bella!? Is that… Gonzales!?”

“Oh, shit! It is! And the other one, that’s Sam Reingold! What is he doing here!?”

The two men stopped, and watched the scene of the naked crucified.

“Well, Gonzales,” Reingold said, “I have never been familiar with that Catholicism of yours, but I must admit, it has its charming aspects!”

Gonzales laughed, confirming.

“Hello, Bella,,” Reingold repeated, “not pleased to see me!?”

“Reingold! Go back to Tampico, with your Zuni friends!”

“Oh, Bella! You and your temper! Can’t you for once be a bit more nice to the people who come to rescue you!?”

“Rescue!? But..?”

“Yes, Bella, we are your rescue team! The cavalry, which always comes in time!”

“But I don’t understand? Hadn’t you joined the Zuni’s?”

“Bella!, Didn’t you know me better after all those years? We just finished one of the greatest undercover jobs in history!”

“Under… cover?”

“Yes, Bella! Gonzales and me had infiltrated in the Zuni’s, with some other people. Our target was first of all to find out their network in the US, and we got them rounded up, and meanwhile, we could inflict serious damage to the Zuni Cartel itself! The operation was already months under planning, but your real trial gave us a credible reason to go to Mexico and start it up!”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Too delicate, Bella! You would have been involved, later on, but for the moment, it was safer to keep you apart and have you and Rosita a bit cuddling while giving shooting practice to the village women! Actually, you almost blew the operation by running away!”

“Ooops!” Rosita said “Did I panic too soon?”

“Sure you did! The good news is, that now, we have been able to inflict a lot of damage to the Pecos Cartel too!”

“But, how did you know…!?”

“Your friend Rey! He felt his position in the Pecos more and more threatened! The practice of abducting bus passengers, and not only for picking out foot soldiers of enemy cartels, but innocent civilians too, was turning against them. Even the Pecos Padrinos realized that, at some level, ruthlessness could be bad for business! Rey feared, he would be held responsible and would be made a scapegoat by his bosses. But meanwhile, he had something to trade with the authorities in exchange for protection : the two of you! You owe it to him, we learned about your whereabouts today. Rey is prepared to testify against the Pecos Padrinos, and will be given a witness protection scheme with a new identity in exchange!”

“What about me?”

“You can return to the US!”

“But, the trial!?”

“Don’t worry! Harding did a brilliant job! He reduced the accusations to shambles! The prosecutor and the judge were left speechless! Case dismissed! But maybe, you could return under another name, for security. That Barbara Moore of that fake passport they gave you, does not sound bad. But don’t worry! If the trial had gone wrong, we had as plan B a Caribbean island named Providencia for you! A friendly president and hospitable billionaires. Now, you can live somewhere in Arkansas, where no one knows you!”

“Yikes! Why Arkansas?”

“Or Minnesota, wherever you like! Rosita can join you there too, that can be arranged in the witness protection program!”

“But, Reingold!? How can the US army make a raid in Mexican territory? This is a sovereign state?”

“Simple, Moss! This is not a US regular army! This is the Sibelius Squad! Didn’t you notice on our approach? Finlandia!? Never listened to it!? As good as the Ride of the Valkyrs for the occasion!”

“Sibelius Squad?”

“A private company of warriors! Handpicked veterans with an active service record in the US forces, particularly in such units as the Marines, Green Berets, Airborne, or other special forces! Although it is American, even British ex Royal Marines or SAS are allowed!”

“Mercenaries, in other words?”

“That’s a bit demeaning for their patriotic motivation, Bella! After all, someone beyond the Urals has his Wagner Group, so, why shouldn’t we have one on our own!? You know POTUS! If his friend in the Urals has something, he wants to have it too!”

“Sibelius Squad!?”

“their commander, is fond of Sibelius’ music! And meanwhile, we annoy a bit our great friend in the Urals, since Sibelius was a Finnish nationalist at the time when Finland was part of the Russian Empire! Only POTUS thinks that Sibelius was a great Roman Emperor! Fake news shouldn’t always come from the same side!”

Meanwhile, Rosita had been taken from her cross, and was taken care of by medics.

“Hey! Reingold! Shouldn’t you take me down too!?”

“Not yet, Bella mia! First you have to endure a bit more punishment on my behalf!”

“Punishment!? What punishment!? Don’t be ridiculous!”

“You were the bad thief in the Passion play, right!? It is obvious to rescue first the penitent good thief, don’t you think? After all, the role of the bad thief suits you well!”

“But…”

“Listen, Moss! You almost blew our whole operation by that stupid runaway by you and your lovely companion there…”

“It was her idea…” Bella said, nodding to Rosita.

“But moreover, you have been so naughty to steal my beloved orange Ford Granada 1981 for your runaway, and ruin it underway!”

“It was Rosita’s idea too! The other cars were all bugged!”

“I am not interested in whose idea it was, Moss! You should have known that it was a bad idea! You knew what that car meant to me, and you should have backed down! You really broke my heart now!”

“Reingold! You idiot! Stop that pathetic whining about an old car whose engine blew up on the first serious slope it had to take! Now take me down, or I will never say a word to you anymore!”

“Patience, Bella! Rosita first! She is a key witness too. Now, it is time for me to return to our Tampico base! Gonzales and I don’t want to miss the forthcoming episode of cheers! With Shelley Long!”

“Reingold you…!”

“I will put a bottle of wine in the fridge for you, for when you return! Pino Grigio as usual!?”

“Oh shit, bloody oath! Make that Riesling! But..!? Hey, don’t let me hang here, you…!”

“Al right, come on, Gonzales let’s go!”

“Si, Samuel, amigo!”

“Reingold! Come back and take me down! Reingold! You awful Gringoooooooooo!”

THE END

A few actors then played scenes from the gospels, with the Padrinos and villagers as onlookers. When it was finished, a small procession passed along, with the Padrinos piously marching behind a local shrine and statue of a Virgin Mary. Then, they gathered for a meal, leaving Bella and Rosita as distant onlookers, overviewing a bit the village from their raised position. They were guarded by three men, who, on demand, offered Bella and Rosita wine to drink from a sponge, dripping a lot over their naked bodies, each time!

“I already drunk better quality!”, Bella complained.

The Christ figure was a life sized wooden sculpture, wearing (to Bella’s annoyance), a blue loincloth. It had some realistic looking whipping welts, but of the most remarkable features of the sculpture was the facial look. It was not a suffering Christ, but a haunting one! The scaring eyes seemed to look everywhere, it was an unescapable gaze, as if they looked inside you. Bella experienced the gaze as from a mad, fanatic and also, in some way, of a lustful man!

The piercing, lustful gaze tormented Bella, even as if it was directed towards Rosita. At a certain moment, Rosita remarked :

“Hey, you two! Stop staring at me like that!”

Attachments

• Tampico-loxuru-cf-015.JPG
    Tampico-loxuru-cf-015.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 197
But maybe, you could return under another name, for security. That Barbara Moore of that fake passport they gave you, does not sound bad.

Hmmm … does have a nice ring to it

But don’t worry! If the trial had gone wrong, we had as plan B a Caribbean island named Providencia for you! A friendly president and hospitable billionaires.

I believe I’ve heard of that place … no thanks!

Now, you can live somewhere in Arkansas, where no one knows you!”

Yikes, NO!

The end to great story … and a clever farce … well done Loxoru!!!

And kudos to @settantuno for the wonderful illustrations!

So, this was obviously the true story, how Bella Moss became Barbara Moore, how she came to Minnesota, and why she drinks Riesling, and no longer Italian Pino Grigio! :D ;)

I hope you all enjoyed it. I honestly was surprised myself I could make a 20-episode story from the idea. :icon_writing:

I have tried to keep up the irony, with a darker middel part (the abduction and gladiator games). For those who recall the original 'barb behind Bars' story : there was indeed a gladiator fight too, in prison. The gladiator fight in this storyline is not inspired by the Barb Behind Bars story. In fact, Mexican drug cartels sometimes force applicants (abducted or not), to do such fights on life or death, to prove if they can be deployed for murder missions. :eek:

And a big thanks (and applause) to @settantuno for his great illustrations! :clapping:

So, this was obviously the true story, how Bella Moss became Barbara Moore, how she came to Minnesota, and why she drinks Riesling, and no longer Italian Pino Grigio! :D ;)
❤️❤️❤️❤️

For those who recall the original 'barb behind Bars' story : there was indeed a gladiator fight too, in prison.

Ahhh yes, so there was.

The gladiator fight in this storyline is not inspired by the Barb Behind Bars story. In fact, Mexican drug cartels sometimes force applicants (abducted or not), to do such fights on life or death, to prove if they can be deployed for murder missions. :eek:

Memo to myself: avoid holiday trips to Mexico at all costs! The place is as scary as Arkansas!

Great start Lox! Very enjoyable!

Ahhh yes, so there was.
You should try that jellyfish extract to improve your memory, Moore. Though do jelly fish really have such great memories??

“Not yet, Bella mia! First you have to endure a bit more punishment on my behalf!”
Down to the basement now, Moore. No wait, first you have to mow the lawn. What's that you say, it's winter? Then get out there with the snow shovel!!

A very fun story Lox. You hit all the bases-the sitcoms, the wine, the last minute rescue.

Speaking of wine, there is a beer called Rhinegold that's made in New York City of all places

https://www.rheingoldbeer.com/

Back
Top Bottom