Escape to Tampico

Go to CruxDreams.com

Two weeks later, Bella was summoned again to Rey’s office.

“The Padrinos have approved the video statement! All we have to do now is wait, until Reingold assumes his assignment in the US. We heard, that will happen soon. Then, we can start working on him. But now, I have a mission for you!”

“What kind of a mission!? Killing someone!?”
“Yes!”

“Why me? Angel of Death! Isn’t that your nickname, coincidentally?”
“Throughout the years, I’ve reached a position I can delegate!”

“And whom should I kill!?”

“An old acquaintance! Captain Gonzales!”

“Gonzales!? Gonzales knows me!”

“Even more important is, that you know him! It would not be the first accidental killing of someone, the killer only knows from too vague descriptions. Even a photograph can be confusing to recognize the real person! We want no accidental killings of innocent civilians! That’s bad for business!”

“Why Gonzales? He is rather an executor of the Zuni’s, not a big shot, as far as I could estimate?”

“Do not underestimate his position with the Zuni’s! Gonzales is an important link with the Zuni’s network in the US. Eliminating him would make Reingold even more important in that network. For our plan, the more important Reingold is, the better it suits us to blackmail him! Furthermore, from the time when Gonzales was a cop, he knows too much about cartels, including ours!”

“Wait a minute! I cannot go to that resort, walk in, find Gonzales and shoot him! That place is guarded well and the resort building is large! I will be dead long before I would have found him!”

“Gonzales is in Monterrey! That’s where it will happen!”

“Monterrey?”

“He has been spotted there, for business! In a hotel! That’s the place where you will strike!”

“If you know where he is, why don’t you just have the observers done the job?”

“One, because we don’t want to compromise the observers, they may still be useful. Internal security imposes to keep observation and execution separated! Two, because the job needs some stake-out around the hotel, and a woman will draw less attention by the security, which is present there! And you have experience in doing stake-out! That’s an extra asset!”

“How will I get there!?”

“In a van! Pedro and Alvarez will accompany you! And a driver, skilled in getaways!”

“I want Rosita too!”

“Rosita will stay here! I explained you that lately!”

“Listen Señor Rey! I meanwhile know Pedro and Alvarez! I know what they are worth! But neither one of them speaks fluent English, and I do not speak fluent Spanish sufficiently! Rosita speaks both! For such an operation, a language barrier could be deadly! I will need someone to cover my back and to interpret! Someone I can trust for two hundred percent! So, Rosita comes with!”

“Rosita stays here, I said!”

“If you don’t trust us, you can always issue orders to guard us, to Pedro and Alvarez! No Rosita, no mission!”

“Gonzales knows Rosita!”

“I insist! Two apparently chatting women will be even less suspicious! And I want her to back me! I want the job done under the best conditions, and with someone whom I trust!”

“I will think about it!”

“I am not intending to do a suicide mission Rey!”

“No one expects you to do that!”

“The video statement is approved, so I became expendable!?”

“No! On the contrary! I expect you to succeed and to return alive!”

“I hope I can count on that! Where is that place?”

“Here! That’s the place! It is near the international airport, which is located at the eastern outskirt of the city. A luck, since Monterrey is a real maze, and traffic is constantly clogged. You can study the environment on street view, it will help you to plan your mission!”

“What’s my reward?”

“We let you live! Something else! Be careful, the surroundings of Monterrey airport are well guarded. It is considered as no-violence territory, and the authorities want to keep it like that. Passport controls are not unusual there. Here, you have an American passport! Professionally forged for the occasion! Not the patchwork, Mister Reingold gave you! In case someone would check your identity!”

Bella opened the passport.

“Am I….”

“According to that passport, you are Barbara Moore, from Arkansas! Not Bella Moss, remember that!”

“Yikes! From Arkansas!?”

(to be continued)

“According to that passport, you are Barbara Moore, from Arkansas! Not Bella Moss, remember that!”

“Yikes! From Arkansas!?”
Yikes is right! Barbara Moore from Arkansas? Oh dear! I don’t know how to speak with a red neck drawl, nor do I go barefoot or listen to country music, and I refuse to swallow!

Bella had made the video statement. Then she and Rosita got locked up separately. The next day, she got picked up again. She recognized the arena where Rey had organized the gladiator games two days earlier. She entered the arena from the backside. Once inside, they were immediately surrounded by the usual army of bodyguards. Then Rey came in. She had to fight again! She had to kill Rosita, strung up naked to a parrot perch, in the arena, with a trident!

Then she woke up! Rosita was there, next to her, sleeping!

Bella got nightmares!

Attachments

• Tampico-loxuru-cf-007.JPG
    Tampico-loxuru-cf-007.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 165

Bella had made the video statement. Then she and Rosita got locked up separately. The next day, she got picked up again. She recognized the arena where Rey had organized the gladiator games two days earlier. She entered the arena from the backside. Once inside, they were immediately surrounded by the usual army of bodyguards. Then Rey came in. She had to fight again! She had to kill Rosita, strung up naked to a parrot perch, in the arena, with a trident!
Then she woke up! Rosita was there, next to her, sleeping!
Bella got nightmares! Nightmares of being back in some of the perilous and threatening situations from her police career. Mixed up with the recent arena experience.

Attachments

• Tampico-loxuru-cf-008.JPG
    Tampico-loxuru-cf-008.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 149

Coincidentally, the hotel in Monterrey had been the same place where Bella and Sam had met Gonzales for the first time, just after their arrival in Mexico. The place, she thought, was not that safe to set up a hit, because it was clearly located within the security perimeter of the international airport. Such was clearly visible, by the presence of private guards and police, being posted at the entrance of facilities and aviation related buildings and enclosures. Although Pedro seemed to have planned to drive her in the back of the van, she had insisted to sit in the cabin, so she could scout the environment of the hotel herself. Rey had backed her in that decision. Actually, Rey had accepted all of Bella’s conditions.

Now, she and Rosita were waiting. Bella fitted her baseball cap. It was grey, with, in conspicuous red, white lined characters, the word ‘Arkansas’ on the front. An idea from Rey, to have it fit with her false identity, and since “no one you know will recognize you with it!” like he had said. And he had added : “And it suits you well!”. What is Rey keeping her for? As if she would be speaking with a redneck drawl, or go barefoot or go listen to country music!? Or doing other nasty things, an Arkansas woman is supposed to do!? Yikes! “Remember”, Rey had continued, “you are a fan of the Razorbacks!”. Seems to be an American Football team from Arkansas. She had little knowledge about it, since Reingold was first of all a devoted baseball fan!

Reconsidering, Bella did not like the job. During her time in the resort in Tampico, she had learned to know Gonzales as a friendly and helpful gentleman. It made her extra nervous. Their plan was, that Bella would approach Gonzales, once he would show up in front of the hotel, hit from as close as possible and run to cover. Rosita would stay hidden, and cover her back and her retreat. Pedro and Alvarez and the getaway driver man would stay with the van, just behind a bend in the street, ready to drive off, as soon as Bella and Rosita had withdrawn. Pedro would monitor the events from a distance.

Approaching Gonzales would be the most risky part. She hoped to do it unnoticed as long as possible, not standing out among other passersby (of which, she hoped, there would not be too much, to avoid collateral damage). She would try to aim her fire towards a tract of bushes and palm trees, hence avoiding to hit innocents.

In order to conceal herself, she had turned herself as unrecognizable as possible. She had cropped her hair, instead of letting it hang, as usual. The ‘Arkansas’ baseball cap had a large shadow giving visor over her face, and she wore dark sunglasses. She had exchanged her traditional dress or skirt by a jeans trousers, and wore a male-style Hawaii shirt with a large flower motif, to conceal her feminine shapes. She had tanned her face with a make-up cream and even ‘darkened’ the skin between her nose and her mouth, to suggest a moustache. On one hand, woman would be perceived less as a threat, on the other hand, she had to avoid that Gonzales would recognize her from too far. All to confuse Gonzales as long as possible about her looks.

The best place to start, would have been straight in front of the hotel, or waiting in the lobby. But Rosita had disapproved both options. Security is tight around these hotels, located in ‘cartel-neutral’ territory, because they want to avoid harm to their guests. And staying too obviously in front of the hotel entrance would have alarmed hotel security too, thinking they would be street walkers.

“With my masculine style disguise, we would attract a strange clientele!” Bella had replied.

So, their ambush was a public bench, hidden behind a palm tree, staying away from the open in front of the hotel entrance. They pretended to be doing girl chatting, meanwhile keeping an eye on the spot. The last information they got was, that Gonzales had left the hotel in the morning, and had taken a taxi. So, Bella and Rosita had a special eye on incoming taxis.

“How long do we have to wait here, Bella?”

“Gonzales is expected to show up again! I hope he will! Or rather, if he would not come… I would not regret it! Why don’t I just walk away, and try to make it to the US! Rey is right! This passport is professionally forged! I would dare trying to lure border security with it! And then go to live in a quiet place, where nobody knows me, as Barbara Moore! In Minnesota or so!”

“Without me?”

“No Rosita! We’ll find a way to get you over the border, before some stupid person’s idea to build some stupid border wall would be carried out. But remember, Minnesota is a lot colder than Mexico!”

“Does it snow in Minnesota?”

“You bet it does, in winter!”

“I have never seen snow in my life! They say it is magic! Millions of white fluffy flakes coming down, and covering everything under a virgin white blanket!”

“It has its charms, but it causes enough trouble either to daily life!!”

“Like what?”

“I hear, you never shoveled four feet of snow in front of your house!”

“Oh, Bella, I would do that for you, if you bring me to the US!”

“Naked!?”

“Naked..!? Ain’t that cold!?”

“You get warm of it! Wouldn’t you do that for me!?”

“Yikes! Oh, Bella, I am already taking over your vocabulary! Oh! Look, Bella! That’s him!” Rosita said, as a man descended from a just arrived taxi.

“Right! But they are two! Who is that other… ? Damn!”

Another man stepped out from the taxi. It was …Sam Reingold!

“Take cover, Rosita! Gonzales could have doubts about recognizing me, but Reingold definitely not! He will look straight through my Arkansas disguise!”

“What now!?”

“I cannot approach them as planned!”

“Try from here!”

“Too risky! If I miss, they are both alerted, and if I would hit Reingold – not that I would not regret it, after the situation he has brought me into – I would not upset one, but two cartels! Rey would not be pleased at all!”

Then, another taxi arrived, a minibus. A family of tourists descended and unloaded their luggage, blocking Bella’s line of fire. Meanwhile, Bella could see, Gonzales and Reingold were shaking hands. The latter reentered the taxi, which drove away. Gonzales meanwhile entered the hotel, together with the family of tourists. Bella tried to follow him inside the building, but when she was inside, Gonzales had already disappeared.

“That did not go like planned!” Bella said, when she had rejoined Rosita.

“What now, Bella!?”

“We stay here for a while, maybe he comes back out!”

“Shall I warn Pedro that we are going to stay longer?”

“Better to inform him indeed! But come back quickly! And be careful not to draw too much attention!”

Standing on a stake out. Bella had done it many times in the Washington DC force. Boring, tiring, stress and pressure! Being careful not to be seen, and to avoid missing the crucial moment you could have been standing on stake-out for hours. She recalled, Sam Reingold always found a way to charge her with such kind of jobs. Bloody Sam Reingold!

From her experience, she had avoided to drink much in the morning, since nothing could spoil a stake-out worse than a full bladder. But the waiting under the hot Mexican weather had made her terribly thirsty! There was a small shop in front of the hotel, and she had seen people coming out with bottled water. Would she risk to send Rosita in for a buying bottle, when she would be back? And a donut (old police habits…)? Where was she, Rosita, she was supposed to return immediately!?

Gonzales! Lost in thought, she had almost missed him! He was apparently looking for a taxi. Damn! She had to do it alone, without cover by Rosita. But she had no choice! It was a golden opportunity, this time! Gonzales, all alone on the plaza in front of the hotel! Bella checked her weapon in her handbag. It only needed to be cocked. Carefully, she approached Gonzales!

(to be continued)

“The Razorbacks” is the nickname of the University of Arkansas football team. The cheerleading unit consists of girls lured abducted recruited from blue states and, in addition to performing in ridiculously skimpy costumes at the games, they are required after the games … win or lose … to also perform, without their ridiculously skimpy costumes, in the team locker room. Any that are foolish enough to refuse this extra obligation are hanged from the goal posts as soon as the crowd has left the stadium.

“The Razorbacks” is the nickname of the University of Arkansas football team. The cheerleading unit consists of girls lured abducted recruited from blue states and, in addition to performing in ridiculously skimpy costumes at the games, they are required after the games … win or lose … to also perform, without their ridiculously skimpy costumes, in the team locker room. Any that are foolish enough to refuse this extra obligation are hanged from the goal posts as soon as the crowd has left the stadium.
Why wait till the fans leave? They might enjoy the show and remember to be benefactors to the university when their alumni letters come asking for donations.

escape to trampoline can being funny jumping and bounce but nobody never invent yet trumpoline and then ex usa president fans and antifans will be have useful for it like him jump on trumpoline not like him jump on trumpoline with his face on logo think rly can being useful thing for both sides

Coincidentally, the hotel in Monterrey had been the same place where Bella and Sam had met Gonzales for the first time, just after their arrival in Mexico. The place, she thought, was not that safe to set up a hit, because it was clearly located within the security perimeter of the international airport. Such was clearly visible, by the presence of private guards and police, being posted at the entrance of facilities and aviation related buildings and enclosures. Although Pedro seemed to have planned to drive her in the back of the van, she had insisted to sit in the cabin, so she could scout the environment of the hotel herself. Rey had backed her in that decision. Actually, Rey had accepted all of Bella’s conditions.

Now, she and Rosita were waiting. Bella fitted her baseball cap. It was grey, with, in conspicuous red, white lined characters, the word ‘Arkansas’ on the front. An idea from Rey, to have it fit with her false identity, and since “no one you know will recognize you with it!” like he had said. And he had added : “And it suits you well!”. What is Rey keeping her for? As if she would be speaking with a redneck drawl, or go barefoot or go listen to country music!? Or doing other nasty things, an Arkansas woman is supposed to do!? Yikes! “Remember”, Rey had continued, “you are a fan of the Razorbacks!”. Seems to be an American Football team from Arkansas. She had little knowledge about it, since Reingold was first of all a devoted baseball fan!

Gonzales! Lost in thought, she had almost missed him! He was apparently looking for a taxi. Damn! She had to do it alone, without cover by Rosita. But she had no choice! It was a golden opportunity, this time! Gonzales, all alone on the plaza in front of the hotel! Bella checked her weapon in her handbag. It only needed to be cocked. Carefully, she approached Gonzales!

(to be continued)

Attachments

• Tampico-loxuru-cf-012.JPG
    Tampico-loxuru-cf-012.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 106

People came out of the hotel, going towards Gonzales.

Bella held back! ‘His family’! she realized.

Gonzales and his family walked to the taxi, got in and they drove away, leaving Bella standing stunned in the open. Gone the opportunity!? But there had not been one! The last thing she would have done was killing Gonzales in front of his family, leave risking to hit one of them. What next?

Bella carefully retired from the place. As she almost reached the palm tree, she suddenly noticed something strange! Whooshing sounds around her ears, and impacts on the palm tree near her!

‘Oh shit! They are shooting at me!’ ran through her head. She left all caution and ran. There were more impacts, and she headed to a three feet high concrete wall for cover, leaping over it, as she had once been learned to do on the police academy’s obstacle course.

“Yikes!” Bella then discovered, unprepared for it, that there was a deep behind the concrete wall. It was the place where the hotel kept its waste containers, which stood at a basement level. Fortunately, she had landed into one, breaking her fall.

As she scrubbed the waste away, and climbed out of the container, she saw someone standing on top of the ramp leading to the basement. In a reflex, Bella grabbed to her weapon, but then, she saw it was a surprised looking Rosita.

“Bella! What are you doing…?”

‘Didn’t I tell you I love dunking into waste containers’?, went through Bella’s head, while she wove to Rosita to get down. But apparently, the firing had stopped, or at least she was out of sight for the shooters. But Rosita was not! She ran upon the ramp, keeping herself down when she was almost above;

“Run, Rosita!”

“What happened!?”

“Someone is shooting at us!”

“Shooting!? I hear nothing!?”

“Someone using a silencer! Come on, quick! Pedro is still there, I hope?”

“Sure! But, careful! My knees had started to hurt, something from that parrot perch! I needed a rest! I am sorry!”

Bella and Rosita made it to the van, where a surprised Pedro awaited them.

“Que passa!?”

The door of the van stood open, and they jumped in.

“Drive!” Bella ordered “And keep yourself down!”

Rosita transferred the order in Spanish, and quickly, they drove away!

As soon as Bella thought they were safe, Bella explained what had happened, to an even more surprised Pedro and Rosita, the latter translating. When Pedro requested Bella’s weapon back, she boldly refused.

“Rosita,” she said, “explain to Pedro in plain Spanish, please, that I have nothing against him, but that, in the given circumstances, I do not intend to cede my weapon! I do not want other surprises, and I expect these guys to bring us alive to Rey, where I can explain him what happened! Since I have a few urgent questions for him! And anyone trying to be in the way of that, or having bad intentions with me, will end up with a hole between his eyes! Comprendo!?”

Rosita explained the situation to Pedro, who then stood up and discussed, through a window, with Alvarez and the driver.

“To my opinion, Bella, they are as surprised as you are!”

“This was a terrible failure! I hope, Bella Moss, you realize that, and I hope for you that you have a good reason to explain your failure!”

“Mister Rey! I told you before, that I was not planning to go on a suicide mission! I think, others were there to fire on Gonzales, when he drove off, and I came under fire too! Was it your plan to have me killed on the spot too!?”

“No! But your excuse that someone has been shooting at you, is completely ridiculous! No one has heard shots! Pedro, Alvarez and Rosita all denied they have heard firing! I think, you lost your nerve and you were overtaken by your imagination?”

“They used a silencer! Probably my luck, since that could be the reason they missed me, if the shootist was not used to it!”

“Ridiculous! Why did not you shoot simply Gonzales? Pedro and Alvarez said, you had two opportunities!”

“Not exactly! He was always surrounded by bystanders. …”

“Had approached him closer!”

“Rey! Will you at last listen to me!? On the first occasion, Reingold was there too! Why didn’t you tell me!”

“What!?”

“I said : Reingold was there too! They both arrived in a taxi! If I would have shot him, then you and your Padrinos would not be amused, I guess!?”

“Certainly not, that’s right!”

“So, why didn’t you tell me, Reingold would be there too!?”

“I…”

“And the second time, his family was there too! You said : no accidental killing of innocents!?”

“His family!?”

“Yes, his family! Why was not I informed about that too!?”

“I…” Rey said it, shaking his head.

“So, Mister Rey, or either your intelligence gathering is of very lousy quality, or..;”

“Or..?”

“Or!? I assume the assassination plan was not your initiative, am I right!?”

“No, I followed orders! The Padrinos!”

“Could it be that some people in your organization have deliberately disinformed you, in order to blame you for an unwanted killing of Reingold, or a bloodbath on neutral territory!?”

“Listen, Bella Moss! Alvarez and Pedro were there to watch over you, and yes, to kill you if you would have tried to run away! But they have not fired a shot!”

“I believe that! Then, who did?”

Rey looked puzzled. Bella felt, she had made a point. Her information had confused him! The assassination plan was may have been a planned failure a trap! Set up to discredit him, and in which she would have been killed!

(to be continued)

People came out of the hotel, going towards Gonzales.

Bella held back! ‘His family’! she realized.

Gonzales and his family walked to the taxi, got in and they drove away, leaving Bella standing stunned in the open. Gone the opportunity!? But there had not been one! The last thing she would have done was killing Gonzales in front of his family, leave risking to hit one of them. What next?

Bella carefully retired from the place. As she almost reached the palm tree, she suddenly noticed something strange! Whooshing sounds around her ears, and impacts on the palm tree near her!

‘Oh shit! They are shooting at me!’ ran through her head. She left all caution and ran. There were more impacts, and she headed to a three feet high concrete wall for cover, leaping over it, as she had once been learned to do on the police academy’s obstacle course.

“Yikes!” Bella then discovered, unprepared for it, that there was a deep behind the concrete wall. It was the place where the hotel kept its waste containers, which stood at a basement level. Fortunately, she had landed into one, breaking her fall.

As she scrubbed the waste away, and climbed out of the container, she saw someone standing on top of the ramp leading to the basement. In a reflex, Bella grabbed to her weapon, but then, she saw it was a surprised looking Rosita.

“Bella! What are you doing…?”

Attachments

• Tampico-loxuru-cf-013.JPG
    Tampico-loxuru-cf-013.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 105

“Get into the car, quick!”

After the failed assassination of Gonzales, things became stressed. The failure had created some atmosphere of mutual distrust between Bella and Rey. She stuck to her version of the events, he seemed to neglect her warning that the Padrinos were trying to discredit him.

At a certain moment, the whole place was evacuated in a rush. Rey, his men and the two captives moved to another village. Apparently, there had been a police raid on several sites of the Pecos Cartel. At their new location, Bella and Rosita had much less liberty, and were kept concealed in a cottage. One day, they heard an argument between Rey and an unknown visitor, which, with her rudimentary Spanish, and Rosita’s translation, Bella could unravel.

Unknown man : “We lost valuable and loyal men in this police raid!”

Rey : “No one is indispensable in this organization!”

Unknown man: “Perhaps! But a good team is difficult to replace, if we want to keep this organization running!”

Rey : “Are you telling me what to do?”

Unknown man : “I don’t. But The Padrinos have asked me to convey their worries about the way you are running your things recently! They have the impression that both business and discipline are slacking!”

Rey : “I carried out orders from the Padrinos! But I was given insufficient information to plan the operation well!”

Unknown man : “We believe you got weak! You have protected those captive Zuni chicks! They should have been hanging by their neck naked from a highway bridge by now! That is how one should deal with Zuni whores!”

Rey : “Tell the Padrinos that, these women are an embarrassment for the Zuni’s, as long that they are alive! We can use them to blackmail Zuni operations in the US!”

Unknown man : “Our US operations are not your business, Rey! You are not supposed to have an opinion about the way they are executed! Obey orders and otherwise, stick to your territory and your competences!”

Shortly after, Bella and Rosita were ordered to move again.

“You two! Get into the car!”

“Why!?”

“Do what I say!”

The car was a spacious pick-up truck. In the front sat two men, a driver and another one, both unknown. Bella, Rosita and Rey took a seat in the back row. As they drove off, the doors were locked with a remote control.

The ride went through arid land again. Bella noticed that the men in front looked stern. They did not say a word. They scared her.

“Who are these guys!?” she asked Rey.

“Those men work for the Padrinos, the leading family members of our cartel. They need us for an assignment.”

“Assignment?”

“I cannot tell more!”

‘Assignment’? Bella hoped it would not be : stopping amidst the desert, kneeling in front of a pre dug hole. Shot in the neck, hole refilled, no one will ever find.

Finally, the car stopped.

“Where are we?” Bella dared to ask.

“The Padrinos want to see you, on their yearly Passion Play fiesta! It is Good Friday, after all!

(to be continued)

Back
Top Bottom