Fragments

Go to CruxDreams.com
Juan. A revisit would be more than welcome. As remembered, the young sister had stated the need for her own crucifixion to shield the Centurion over something she had done. So will he crucify his sister to protect himself? As said, “poignant” in the extreme.

Shut the window tonight
The air is cool and fresh
But someone is dying on the ridge
And I can't sleep

Someone is hanging on the old cross there
Up on the ridge outside the town
Maybe it's Clara?
Lady Julia's maid?
I didn't go to town today
I didn't see them nail her down
But it sounds like it could be Clara

Tomorrow we can go and see her
Bleeding on the killing cross
Naked on the shaming cross
Hanging, being punished on the ridge

But tonight we cannot see her
We can only see the fire the guards have made
We can only hear her moaning, weeping
We can only hear her crying, shrieking
Only think of the nails, and of her pain
Only lie awake
We cannot sleep
So shut the window

Maybe it's not THAT different for a society like the one I'm imagining to think that every slave has his or her "time." And when it's time, you take the patibulum on your shoulders, follow the soldiers to the street, take off your clothes, and lie down to be crucified. Why fight it? It's natural. It's how slaves die when their time has come.
Reminds me of an ancient version of Logan's Run... With patibulum instead of Carrousel

We were trying to finish an important business negotiation, but her screams were distracting. I had walked by her and seen her when I arrived. She had already been at the post for a while, by the looks of it - her back was not just welted but bloody. And not just a few trickles of blood from her welts - I could see blood from her shoulders smattered up onto her cheeks, and her whole backside gleamed wet with blood - even her buttocks and legs. And yet, aside from a handful of indifferent onlookers, she attracted little notice in the busy street.

She wasn't wearing anything at all - she was naked. I had never seen a woman punished that way. In my country a slave (even a female, occasionally) might be stripped to the waist for a beating, but this was usually done on the master's property, not in a public street, and I never saw any criminal beaten so severely. I didn't know who she was or what she had done, but I was a little concerned she wouldn't survive such a flogging.

Her cries had become terribly desperate - not just cries of pain, but ragged screams of desperation and fear, torn from the tortured body of a woman who fears each stroke with the fear of death but can no longer form words to plead for pity from those who punish her. Just as my counterpart said the number of his final offer, her roar of agony drowned him out so I couldn't hear. Not a strong roar, like a lion, but the high, pathetic roar of a woman who cannot scream loud enough to communicate her pain.

"Shall we step inside?" he chuckled.

Inside was dim and more difficult to read the figures and calculations, but the sound of the beaten woman was muffled and we could at least hear each other. We finished our transaction and stepped back outside so that I could return to my lodgings. She was still being beaten.

"I wonder what she did!" I said outside the door, trying to smile genially, as seemed to be the expectation here in Rome, despite my concern and disgust.

"Oh," he chuckled as before, "I think she disobeyed her master's orders one too many times," and he gave a blasting snort of a laugh.

"I see." I looked at him for an awkward moment, and we heard another of her harrowing screams, then I ventured, "It seems... A severe beating, don't you think?"

"Oh, she's to be crucified," he answered, as if it explained everything.

"Ah," I said, and nodded, as if I understood. In fact, I think I did, but it was not satisfying.

My way back led me past her again, and they had not stopped lashing her. I couldn't believe she was still conscious. In places I could see her ribs - the bone - through the carnage of her flesh. She couldn't stand, and only hung there by her wrists, hands shaking violently, face to the sky, splattered with blood, soaked with tears, mouth wide open screaming. Beneath her in the dust were great red-brown blotches of her stale blood. It didn't matter how much they hurt her - she would be dead in a day or so once she was crucified.

To her sentencing hearing, she wore the sweat pants and tee-shirt her brother had brought her over the weekend instead of the pant suit she'd been arrested in. She didn't care what she looked like. She already knew what her punishment would be, and her fever had gone above 105 that morning. She slouched, not out of laziness or disrespect, but out of weakness, closing her eyes and resting her burning head on her hand as best she could while the judge expounded on her crimes.

Then came the inevitable: "...are hereby sentenced to death. The method shall be crucifixion, to be carried out immediately."

She was vaguely aware of her lawyer rising. "Your honor, considering my client's poor health, I request that her execution be delayed until she recovers." She grasped for his hand, his cuff, his coattail - anything.

"No," she managed, "no," she shook her head, eyes still mostly closed.

"What?" he whispered, perplexed. "I'm trying to--"

"No, just do it."

"But you're--"

"Better this way," she paused for a deep, difficult breath, "than when I'm healthy."

"Is there a problem, Mr. Wood?" asked the judge.

"Uh, it would seem, Your Honor," he glanced back at her, troubled, then continued, "uh, that my client would like to... I would like to withdraw my request, Your Honor."

"Very good," the judge nodded, and as her lawyer turned back to her, the prosecutor arose.

"Your Honor," said the prosecutor, "Considering the defendant's poor state of health, we request that a doctor evaluate her before she is crucified to ensure that she is healthy enough to suffer meaningfully before death."

"Doc," the judge turned to a middle-aged man in a lab coat, "Would you please give the court your opinion of the defendant's health?"

Soon she had a thermometer in her mouth and the doctor's soft hands were feeling her throat. He looked in her ears and mouth and listened to her breathing, all of which felt strangely relaxing and familiar.

"Your Honor," said the doctor, turning to the judge, "She's got a very high fever. Her lungs seem to be fine, she probably has an infection elsewhere, but it would require more testing to identify the precise cause of her illness."

"Thank you, Doc," said the judge, "If she is crucified immediately, how long do you believe she is likely to suffer before death?"

"If she is whipped beforehand, she may suffer less than two hours, Your Honor. If she is nailed to her cross without any preliminary punishment, she's likely to suffer at least four or five hours."

"Will that be acceptable, Mr. Irons?" the judge asked the prosecutor.

"Is her mental state such that she will be fully aware of her pain, Doctor?" asked the prosecutor.

"Yes, she is exhausted but fully conscious. If anything, her suffering will be more intense, not less."

"In that case," said the prosecutor, "We request that she be crucified immediately without being flogged."

"So ordered," said the judge with a rap of his gavel, "Bailiff, please strip Ms. Lee of her clothes and conduct her to Harmon park and see to it that she is duly crucified there." The bailiff had her on her feet and quickly tugged her clothes off her body, even her panties, leaving her naked. She was humiliated but not surprised.

"Should she carry her cross, Your Honor?" asked the bailiff.

"No, I don't think that's practical," he answered.

"If she's not going to carry the cross, she should have her hands cuffed behind her," said the prosecutor.

"What for?" asked her lawyer, "She's obviously not in any condition to do any harm or attempt to escape."

"To signify her guilt," responded the prosecutor, "Without a cross to carry, she's walking to the park like the spectators."

"Have you looked at her!?" said Mr. Wood, face red, "She's stark naked!"

Ms. Lee leaned heavily on the bailiff, wishing these men would stop squabbling and let her go and die.

"Go ahead and cuff her, Bailiff," said the judge, and the cold iron locked her arms behind her. Then they marched her down the courtroom aisle and out onto the courtyard steps.

"If she's not going to carry the cross, she should have her hands cuffed behind her," said the prosecutor.

"What for?" asked her lawyer, "She's obviously not in any condition to do any harm or attempt to escape."

"To signify her guilt," responded the prosecutor, "Without a cross to carry, she's walking to the park like the spectators."

Ms. Lee leaned heavily on the bailiff, wishing these men would stop squabbling and let her go and die.

"Go ahead and cuff her, Bailiff," said the judge, and the cold iron locked her arms behind her. Then they marched her down the courtroom aisle and out onto the courtyard steps.
I've used this issue a couple times... is the condemned healthy enough to be put to death?!?!?!

Well told, Juan!

I've used this issue a couple times... is the condemned healthy enough to be put to death?!?!?!

Well told, Juan!

Yes, I love this idea. The idea that someone might not be healthy enough to execute, that they have to be in good physical condition.
"Good news, you passed the physical, you're in great shape. Bad news, you are fit to be crucified"

I covered this pre execution step in a little manip here from 2013
ph235.jpg

To her sentencing hearing, she wore the sweat pants and tee-shirt her brother had brought her over the weekend instead of the pant suit she'd been arrested in. She didn't care what she looked like. She already knew what her punishment would be, and her fever had gone above 105 that morning. She slouched, not out of laziness or disrespect, but out of weakness, closing her eyes and resting her burning head on her hand as best she could while the judge expounded on her crimes.

Then came the inevitable: "...are hereby sentenced to death. The method shall be crucifixion, to be carried out immediately."

She was vaguely aware of her lawyer rising. "Your honor, considering my client's poor health, I request that her execution be delayed until she recovers." She grasped for his hand, his cuff, his coattail - anything.

"No," she managed, "no," she shook her head, eyes still mostly closed.

"What?" he whispered, perplexed. "I'm trying to--"

"No, just do it."

"But you're--"

"Better this way," she paused for a deep, difficult breath, "than when I'm healthy."

"Is there a problem, Mr. Wood?" asked the judge.

"Uh, it would seem, Your Honor," he glanced back at her, troubled, then continued, "uh, that my client would like to... I would like to withdraw my request, Your Honor."

"Very good," the judge nodded, and as her lawyer turned back to her, the prosecutor arose.

"Your Honor," said the prosecutor, "Considering the defendant's poor state of health, we request that a doctor evaluate her before she is crucified to ensure that she is healthy enough to suffer meaningfully before death."

"Doc," the judge turned to a middle-aged man in a lab coat, "Would you please give the court your opinion of the defendant's health?"

Soon she had a thermometer in her mouth and the doctor's soft hands were feeling her throat. He looked in her ears and mouth and listened to her breathing, all of which felt strangely relaxing and familiar.

"Your Honor," said the doctor, turning to the judge, "She's got a very high fever. Her lungs seem to be fine, she probably has an infection elsewhere, but it would require more testing to identify the precise cause of her illness."

"Thank you, Doc," said the judge, "If she is crucified immediately, how long do you believe she is likely to suffer before death?"

"If she is whipped beforehand, she may suffer less than two hours, Your Honor. If she is nailed to her cross without any preliminary punishment, she's likely to suffer at least four or five hours."

"Will that be acceptable, Mr. Irons?" the judge asked the prosecutor.

"Is her mental state such that she will be fully aware of her pain, Doctor?" asked the prosecutor.

"Yes, she is exhausted but fully conscious. If anything, her suffering will be more intense, not less."

"In that case," said the prosecutor, "We request that she be crucified immediately without being flogged."

"So ordered," said the judge with a rap of his gavel, "Bailiff, please strip Ms. Lee of her clothes and conduct her to Harmon park and see to it that she is duly crucified there." The bailiff had her on her feet and quickly tugged her clothes off her body, even her panties, leaving her naked. She was humiliated but not surprised.

"Should she carry her cross, Your Honor?" asked the bailiff.

"No, I don't think that's practical," he answered.

This is more than a fragment, Juan. This is complete short story with a beginning, a middle, and an end. Well done!

Yes, I love this idea. The idea that someone might not be healthy enough to execute, that they have to be in good physical condition.
"Good news, you passed the physical, you're in great shape. Bad news, you are fit to be crucified"

I covered this pre execution step in a little manip here from 2013
View attachment 1185948
Love this image. The condemned girl getting physically cleared for crucifixion. The "how-to" posters on the walls add to the bizarre horror of the situation.

I would add the guy behind her with a tape measure measuring her arm length. Another officer with a clipboard and/or pointing to a line on the chart in the lower right.

Well told, Juan!
It has always been a bit of a head-scratcher to me why those who execute people care if they're in good health first. The point is to destroy their health in the most complete way, right? There seems to be a moral issue at play here, where it's considered inhumane, but I've never quite grasped it. On the other hand, if we're not trying to be humane at all, it may matter simply so that the condemned can be made to suffer sufficiently as intended, as in this case.

Come to think of it, maybe there's a twisted part of my mind that does understand the moral issue, or at least "feels" it, because the idea of this sick, feverish girl being marched through the streets and nailed to a cross hits me somehow more than if she were healthy.

In my Interrogation & Punishment Centre for Girls story, we're condemned to 6 months hard labour on the Tower Treadmill to make sure we're in good shape before being crucified - we're given a lively time the night before by the men who are going to crucify us, and whipped as we parade along the way to the Place of Execution with our cross-bars, but not so severely as to shorten our prospects for a long, slow death on the cross.

In my Interrogation & Punishment Centre for Girls story, we're condemned to 6 months hard labour on the Tower Treadmill to make sure we're in good shape before being crucified - we're given a lively time the night before by the men who are going to crucify us, and whipped as we parade along the way to the Place of Execution with our cross-bars, but not so severely as to shorten our prospects for a long, slow death on the cross.

I loved that story, and now you've made me want to read it all over again

It has always been a bit of a head-scratcher to me why those who execute people care if they're in good health first. The point is to destroy their health in the most complete way, right? There seems to be a moral issue at play here, where it's considered inhumane, but I've never quite grasped it. On the other hand, if we're not trying to be humane at all, it may matter simply so that the condemned can be made to suffer sufficiently as intended, as in this case.

Come to think of it, maybe there's a twisted part of my mind that does understand the moral issue, or at least "feels" it, because the idea of this sick, feverish girl being marched through the streets and nailed to a cross hits me somehow more than if she were healthy.
Well, in case of modern, western-style death penalty (=USA, Japan, Singapore) the point is that executing a person who is not fully aware and sound of mind seems not very honorable... like, you know, backstabbing someone who is not even aware of your presence.
I know this sounds silly, since there's very little "honor" involved in capital punishments, still the idea is that: the convict has to be aware of the impending death and of the reasons of such a judgement.

This goes, as I said, for western-styled states, with some sort of rule-of-law.

In dictatorship the main goal is different.

Well, in case of modern, western-style death penalty (=USA, Japan, Singapore) the point is that executing a person who is not fully aware and sound of mind seems not very honorable... like, you know, backstabbing someone who is not even aware of your presence.
I know this sounds silly, since there's very little "honor" involved in capital punishments, still the idea is that: the convict has to be aware of the impending death and of the reasons of such a judgement.

This goes, as I said, for western-styled states, with some sort of rule-of-law.

In dictatorship the main goal is different.
I can understand that somewhat. But what if they're just fine mentally but they have a physical disease of some sort? I'm not sure where the cut-off is (a sore throat probably doesn't do the trick) but if an inmate is suffering serious illness, don't they postpone execution until they've had medical attention and recovered? Even if they are of sound mind?

Back
Top Bottom