Gisela's Stories

Go to CruxDreams.com
“I think… I think we should go to bed Gisela. I think that would be nice. What do you think? You can dream all the dreams you want to about your Romans and... well… Shall we?”

“Oh Matthias, you really are the most insensitive soul in the world aren’t you? Don’t you care? This is our history Matthias! Our ancestors. Well, maybe yours anyway. You never know. Don’t you care who wore this or what happened to her? Don’t you think it’s fascinating? You must, surely? You must somehow just wonder. I’m sure you do. Don’t you?”

“Well… Maybe a bit. But it’s all so long ago Gisela. And a bit… Well, gruesome? I mean, if it was a girl and she was sort of chained up… well… What happened to her? Did they take her to Rome and feed her to the lions in the Coliseum? I hope not. That sounds so horrible. Did they do that or is it just in the movies?”

“Hmmm – well, they did, but I don’t think they’d have taken a little girl from Hichelbach all the way over the Alps for that. In fact I’m sure they didn’t. I… I think it was worse than that. Probably. But hey, maybe that’s enough imagining for now. Come on then Herr Architect. It’s this way. Come on…”

Gisela rolled on her side, her unruly hair clinging in red rivulets to the dampness of her back, smiling as she rested on the pillow she had pulled under her breasts.

“That was nice…I think that was nice… How about you? Was it nice for you too?”

He stroked her shoulder, leaning round and kissing her on the softness of her cheek, letting the length of his body press against hers, his tongue dwelling on the nape of her neck, then sliding down as he pulled the sheet over their heads, hands wrapping her waist as they moved together in a quietly-shared murmuring.

“It’s late Matthias. Are you going to stay the night?”

“If you’ll have me…”

“Silly, of course. Hey, pass my cigarettes, I need a smoke. I don’t often but… after… well, it relaxes me.”

He reached over, passing the paper packet and the lighter, then held onto Gisela’s wrist as she slid one from the wrapper.

“You’re still wearing it. Should you be doing that?”

“What? Oh, this. No. No I suppose I shouldn’t. But it does fit me well, doesn’t it? I rather like wearing it. Can you imagine me in chains Matthias? It feels so strange, because when I look at my wrist like this, well, I think somehow I can. Touch me here Matthias. That’s it, just move it a little. See? Can you imagine me with one on my other wrist too? I wonder if I would have been naked. What do you think? Would they have chained my feet too? Maybe not. I mean, I couldn’t really have run I suppose, not if they had captured me. I wonder what they wanted me for? What do you think? Oh, sorry, all these questions! I know, I’m a bit crazy sometimes Matthias… But it really suits me doesn’t it? Does it excite you?”

“Excite me? What do you mean Gisela? I think I like you as you are, not as some chained-up slave girl. I can’t imagine that they were going to be very kind to a captured girl, after all. I think you’re better off here and now, don’t you?

“I know, but, well… It’s interesting to imagine. They wouldn’t have thought of taking her to the arena, certainly not to Rome. The nearest one was probably in Köln I think. What’s that, about a three hour drive if you go fast on the A4? No. I don’t think a Roman raiding party would have been about to do that. Whatever they did they would have done here, in Erfurt, I mean in Hachelbich. At the camp. I imagine that she was sort of passing entertainment for them. I wonder what happened though. We found a few other things in the dig, Matthias. I wonder… Doesn’t it excite you just a little bit Matthias? Anyway, come on, work tomorrow, let’s sleep now, ok?”

He flicked off the light, wrapping himself around Gisela, letting the night envelop them as they drifted each into their own dreams.

Took a while to find this thread! I guess it will transit to the "Stories and Poems" folder in due course - thanks Melissa for all your work getting this into order - not an easy task, but appreciated by us all!

There are several quick ways to find pretty well anything here -
just click Search Forums on top bar and type a bit of the title in box,
or (for one of your own threads) click on it in Postings on your profile page.
If a thread's been moved, you'll be automatically redirected.

A darkness veiled the trees; a mist that hung low, dampening the tall grass, shrouding the yellow moon in weary drifts. The last of the rain dripped sluggishly from tired leaves, the air filled with summer’s warmth and the scent of newly-dug and boot-trampled earth. She sat still, her bare arms crossed and cradled on her folded legs, her back against the peeling bark of the birch. Around her the last embers of fires flickered in the iron grates the soldiers had sat beside, singing their songs, sharing their tales and drinking their wine as the night grew long. Now they lay beneath their woollen capes, their breath rising in fleeting clouds above their stubbled chins, or curled in tents lined around the flattened blackness of the parade ground. Her head moved back, night-dimmed hair falling across her eyes. She raised her hands, staring at the irons that looped her wrists, then, sighing, bowed her neck and sought out the tenderness of sleep that somehow would not be found. Her feet felt cool on the black soil, her toes sensing the moist earth that she had walked so long, following the cows that her father had taught her to care for. Somewhere, beyond the palisade, she sensed a distant sound and wondered if the quiet beasts had missed her coming for the evening milking, and whether her brother and sister or her cousin or friend might have heard their bells and come to take them home. Or whether they lay bloody and dead with her parents outside their little hut in the clearing by the stream.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks pk - there'll probably still be quite a few threads misplaced
following the recent reorganisation of Forum sections,
do point them out whenever you spot them, we can easily shift them.

Gisela stirred, turning restlessly in the sheets, dangling on the edge of sleep, her eyes trying to open, trying to close, a heaviness pressing on her sweat-dampened head. Rolling over, burying herself in a pillow, then turning again and draping an arm across Matthias, then turning once more. Her feet twisted, wrapping and unwrapping themselves in the cotton cover, her eyes flicked open, she pulled herself up against the back of the bed, wiping the hair from her face, breathing hurriedly.

“Matthias… Matthias… are you awake?”

She shook him gently.

“Wake up Matthias…”

“Hhh… what…what is it? I’m asleep… what’s wrong?”

“Matthias… I can’t sleep… I’m having a dream… a nightmare… I don’t know….Matthias, hold me will you?”

He rubbed his eyes then gently slid his hand behind her neck, pulling her into the comfort of his chest.

“Come on, are you ok? Come on, you’re safe… relax… What is it Gisela?”

She looked up at him, trying to smile.

“I… It’s lovely… I feel so…safe with you. I…”

He stroked her tousled hair.

“I… it was…it was just a dream…that’s all… I… I couldn’t help it… It was that girl…I was dreaming of her…”

She lifted her arm, gazed at the iron around her wrist.

“She was real. I was there with her. I saw her. Really I did… I…”

“It’s alright. Relax. It’s all over now. Come on… here… have a sip of water… here… that’s better isn’t it?”

She rolled her head back onto his body, pulled his hand onto her breast, her lips opening.

Sleep wouldn’t come, at least not the untroubled sleep she sought, a soft meadow of summery dreams. She felt the iron on her wrist yet somehow could not bring herself to release herself from its hold; she saw the woods and fields, the place where the Gera flowed so silently into the Unstrut beneath the drifting willows where the kingfishers played. She saw the tiny village of circular wattle huts on the triangle between the two streams, the pens fenced in by hurdles where the pigs snuffled in the loose earth, the loom standing beside a ring of smoke blackened stones where a pot simmered over a low fire.

A child played with a stick and a small stone beside one of the huts. Smoke drifted from an opening in the roof into the clear blue sky, blurring with the wind into the stands of oaks on the gently rising hillside beyond the confluence. A girl emerges from one of the huts, stretches her arms out wide, yawning, and smooths her plait of thick red hair that falls down her back. In the distance, beyond the fence of the enclosure, she hears the sound of cows, their bells tinkling mournfully as they drink at the river’s edge, their hooves sinking into the brown mud.

She wanders down to the water’s edge, walking over the pebbly bank into the turbid flow of the Gera, enjoying the chill over her bare ankles and toes as she looks over towards her father’s fish traps in the shade of the trees. Her young brother shouts something about his game, and she turns, smiling, the loose threads of her hair caught in a shaft of sunlight, glowing deep copper, her blue eyes blinking as she squints, wrinkling her freckled nose as she wanders back onto the damp grass of the shore.

“Gisila, come and play with me. I’m bored Gisila. Come on. Please!”

“Gisila, come and play with me. I’m bored Gisila. Come on. Please!”

“Not now Áleifr, I’m… I’m busy… I’m thinking…”

“That’s not fair. You’re not doing anything. Come and play with me. What ‘you thinking about anyway Gisila?”

“I wonder what father will bring back from the market at the ford. He should be home soon. If he sold all the fish then maybe he’ll bring me something nice. I hope so. I wish I could go with him someday. I’ve never been to the ford. It’s a real town you know Áleifr, not a little village like our place. Do you know what a town is Áleifr?”

“Is it a big village? Where there are more huts than here?”

“Sort of, but it’s more than that. It’s where everyone goes to buy things and sell things and when they are there they talk and share stories and I imagine it’s so exciting. There are all sorts of people who come to the market; just imagine all the handsome young men and the pretty girls. I wish I could go sometime. It really is so boring here I think. Oh well; I suppose I better go and help mother with the baking. Don’t go in the river Áleifr or outside the fence, alright?”

Gisela pulled herself up in the bed, grabbing Matthias’s hand tightly, sobbing.

“What is it? Is it another nightmare?”

“It’s her Matthias. She doesn’t know… She doesn’t know…”

To be honest, it was quite hard getting to the end of this chapter... I would say I was a little lost with my story... but now I have found Gisila and her brother I think I have a plan... :)

GISILA f Ancient Germanic
Old Germanic form of GISELLE

ÁLEIFR m Ancient Scandinavian
Old Norse form of OLAF

From this very useful site: http://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/ancient-germanic
I'm sure it's a very cunning plan as Baldric would say and such well researched names!

All a question of interpretation.... some of us girls might consider it an utter pleasure, of course.... whatever "it" may turn out to be... ways to go yet... tee hee!
I think you're doing very well. The dream seeking idea is very good. Hooked on this.
I am interested in the connection between Gisila and the dreamer. Is it more than just the dig? :)

Chapter 6

“He’s so late. When will he be back mother? I hope he’s brought me something.”

“Soon, before the sun sets. Come on, let’s get the bread in the oven…”

The sun hung low, a deepening pink over the swaying trees, the air silent but for the rustle of leaves and the gentle low of a cow in the pasture. Álrifr had long since tired of his game and sat cross-legged, poking the fire with a long twig, sitting cross-legged on the dusty ground. A dog suddenly ran into the enclosure barking wildly; women and children emerged from the huts or putting down their weaving stood, looking out over the river to where their men were emerging along the forest path. Gisila stood, shading her eyes, searching out her father. She saw him, talking animatedly with a tall, fair haired man, pointing towards their hut across the Unstrut. Soon they were splashing through the shallows of the river and entering the village, paused, shaking hands as the group separated, each walking wearily towards his own homestead.

“Father! You’re home at last! Tell me all about the market! I want to know everything! What have you got for me?”

“Slowly, slowly child; where’s your mother? Ah, here you are. Well, I’ve brought a guest with me, let’s make him welcome eh? Come on Konrad, let’s take a drink.”

He paused, his legs slicked with damp, highlighting the strong muscles under the blue tattoos that wrapped his thighs and calves, brushed his golden hair from his eyes and gazed around him at the village, then settled his stare on Gisila, who stood, still, before him. He smiled, then unslinging his bag from his shoulder reached out a bright red apple and held it out for her to take.

“What’s your name?”

“Gisila. You’re Konrad are you? What have you come here for?”

“Lots of questions Gisila… Here, take the apple. Your father invited me. He said it would be worthwhile and I’m already beginning to agree with him. Here, take it”

Gisila looked at him quizzically, then grasped the apple and took a crunching bite, wiping the juice from the corner of her mouth. He looked at her again, his eyes following the line of her bare legs, her thinly spun dress hanging loose over her slender body, revealing the swell of her breasts. Her mass of red curls falling heavily over her shoulders and face, her fingers pushing her hair away, showing a tantalising glimpse of lips and nose and brow. He stood still, just a little too long, then followed her father into the hut.

“Here, have a drink. I told you, didn’t I? What do you think? Do you like her?”

“She’s… she’s very pretty. But is she, I mean will she…”

“She’s old enough. Of course she will. She’ll do as she’s asked. And how could she find a better husband anyway? Come, let’s drink, let’s celebrate. Come!”

Gisila stirred the blackened pot of porridge sitting on the open fire, the early heat of the day lifting the mist that lay grey over the confluence of waters.

“So are you going to marry him then Gisila?”

“Don’t be silly Áleifr, I’ve only just met him. I don’t know anything about him.”

“You like him though, don’t you? I saw the way you looked at him.”

“Oh Áleifr, you’re just a boy, you know nothing. Anyway, it depends what father wants. It’s not up to me. But… Well, he… he is rather handsome I think. And strong.”

She heard her father talking in the hut, she heard her name mentioned and laughter. And Konrad’s voice talking about the market and the town by the ford. He called the river the Erphes, not the Gera. She hadn’t heard that name before. Then they emerged into the light, still joking, her father slapping Konrad on the back. Their eyes were red from drink and the smoke of the fire; but he looked even more like a beautiful, strong warrior than she had recalled from the night before. He seemed to glance at her repeatedly, but did not come over to talk.

“So Konrad, we’ll see you next week at the market. I’ll bring her along and we’ll have everything arranged. Alright? I’m very pleased you like her Konrad. She’s a good girl, I know you won’t regret a thing. And it will be good to have you here. I’m getting too old for all this land, you know. It will be good to have a young man to take things over. And maybe there’ll be some little ones soon eh? Well, maybe soon. So, next week and we’ll be there. Travel safe!”

Another slap on the back, and with a cheerful laugh he shouted his farewell as Konrad crossed over the stream and, with one turn and a look and a wave, walked back along the path of beaten earth and into the darkness of the woods.

Back
Top Bottom