Gisela's Stories

Go to CruxDreams.com
Gisila looked at him quizzically, then grasped the apple and took a crunching bite, wiping the juice from the corner of her mouth. He looked at her again, his eyes following the line of her bare legs, her thinly spun dress hanging loose over her slender body, revealing the swell of her breasts. Her mass of red curls falling heavily over her shoulders and face, her fingers pushing her hair away, showing a tantalising glimpse of lips and nose and brow. He stood still, just a little too long, then followed her father into the hut.
Pkin, you have a wonderful ability to create a photograph in Pp's mind with such descriptive writing but here, the crunching bite of the apple, the wiping away of the juice then her fingers pushing the hair away, together create a movie.

“Ready then?”

The harsh yet comforting voice of her father woke her from her slumbers, rousing her swiftly as she splashed water from the bowl into her face, gasping with the shock of cold and the fear of the unknown.

“Yes, just a moment, I’m almost ready. Are we going now?”

“Yes, it’s dawn and we want to be there before sundown, come on Gisila, you know it’s a long day ahead of us. Your mother is up to kiss you goodbye. Come now, hurry.”

She pulled her clothes on, laid her hand gently on her brother’s sleepy brow, pulled back the cloth over the doorway of the hut and blinked in the brilliant light of the day. The water of the Gera flowing around her feet took away the last hints of sleep, and soon she was following her father along the well-trodden path through the woods, the scents and sounds of the forest filling her senses with joyful feelings. The air became still and silent as they traveled on, the dark trees hiding the stream then suddenly opening to a sun-filled clearing where the river bubbled by. They stepped over tiny rivulets and splashed through shallow hollows of mud and swamp and passed by other villages where her father greeted old friends and all day they walked on, Gisila’s weariness growing as they went.

And then they were there, at the town by the ford, at the Erphes ford as he called it. A great hill rose above the river meadows, on which stood a strong palisade. Smoke rose from the many village huts that rose above the broad valley and cascaded down the slope towards the many silver streams of rapidly flowing water. At the widest point, beside the ford, stalls and tents had been set up and Gisila could hear the sounds of laughter and talk as they approached. Her mind flooded with the noise and colour, the crowds and the smells. The animals in their pens, the geese wandering along the rutted tracks, the sellers shouting their wares. It was a place she could never have imagined, so full of life and brilliance. Her face turned this way and that, captured then stolen by another new sight, all the time not realising that eyes were turned on her, gazing at her swirling red hair, at her fresh young limbs as they wandered the market place by the Gera’s crossing.

Last edited by a moderator:
“Where are we going father? Will he be here?”

“Yes, yes. He’ll be here. Don’t you worry. Come, I’ve some business to do first.”

She followed, terrified of losing her way amongst the little lanes that ran between huts and stalls. And then he was there. Leaning against a broad trestle, an earthen mug in his hand, wiping his mouth, laughing and joking.

“I’m… I’m scared. Will it be alright?”

“Of course! Just wait here. I want to talk to him.”

Her father patted her head and motioned that she should remain by the entrance of a small dwelling, a cloth the colour of deep purple heather hanging over the doorway. She watched, trembling, as he joined with Konrad, exchanging shouted greetings and slaps and hugs and joining the drinkers as they talked. She waited, silently, as the time went slowly by.

The curtain drew back and a girl emerged, looking at once both proud and frightened, her dark hair falling over her charcoal-black eyes. She beckoned anxiously towards Gisila, then, as Konrad turned, vanished as swiftly as she had appeared.

“So, my bride has come to marry me then!”

His breath stank of the beer he had been drinking all morning.

Gisila stared at the ground.

“Not going to greet your new husband then?”

She glanced up, blinking. He seemed a different man to the one she had first seen by the Unstrut.

“Konrad, she’s tired. And shy. Let her rest for a while. Come, let’s drink some more. Let’s celebrate. Gisila, you can wait, alright?”

They returned to their drinking and laughter. She let herself slide down the door post, pulling her skirts over her knees and resting on her haunches, her face in her hands.

Chapter Seven

“My turn to cook next time, so I think we’ll go out to eat, if that’s alright with you?”

“You really are the worst. Honestly, I thought you were joking. You can’t cook at all can you?”

“Well, a bit. But not like you. Maybe you can give me lessons. At my place next time then. OK?”

They kissed at the doorway of the flat in Moritzsraße, then with a wave Matthias turned as if to head off into town, only to spin round, hugging her tight, holding her head close to his.

“I really don’t want to go!”

“You have to silly! And I have to as well. My ride will be here soon. Go on! I’ll phone you.”

“I love you. Kiss me again!”

“Matthias! Go on! I’ll phone. Honest! Love you too.”

She smiled as he disappeared up the road, then checked her watch and stepped into the hallway.

She was aware of a movement in the doorway. It was her again, the dark-haired girl.

“Who are you?”

A finger raised to her lips, a hand on Gisila’s wrist, drawing her inside. She looked for her father, but he was still deep in conversation with the other men.

“Who are you? What do you want?”

“I’m Konrad’s. I’m Adelais. Come inside. Come. Come and eat with me.”

She beckoned in once more and this time Gisila followed, standing then bending through the doorway as she entered the hut, blinking as her eyes adjusted to the dark.

Last edited by a moderator:
“Where are we going father? Will he be here?”

“Yes, yes. He’ll be here. Don’t you worry. Come, I’ve some business to do first.”

She followed, terrified of losing her way amongst the little lanes that ran between huts and stalls. And then he was there. Leaning against a broad trestle, an earthen mug in his hand, wiping his mouth, laughing and joking.

“I’m… I’m scared. Will it be alright?”

“Of course! Just wait here. I want to talk to him.”

Her father patted her head and motioned that she should remain by the entrance of a small dwelling, a cloth the colour of deep purple heather hanging over the doorway. She watched, trembling, as he joined with Konrad, exchanging shouted greetings and slaps and hugs and joining the drinkers as they talked. She waited, silently, as the time went slowly by.

The curtain drew back and a girl emerged, looking at once both proud and frightened, her dark hair falling over her charcoal-black eyes. She beckoned anxiously towards Gisila, then, as Konrad turned, vanished as swiftly as she had appeared.

“So, my bride has come to marry me then!”

His breath stank of the beer he had been drinking all morning.

Gisila stared at the ground.

“Not going to greet your new husband then?”

She glanced up, blinking. He seemed a different man to the one she had first seen by the Unstrut.

“Konrad, she’s tired. And shy. Let her rest for a while. Come, let’s drink some more. Let’s celebrate. Gisila, you can wait, alright?”

They returned to their drinking and laughter. She let herself slide down the door post, pulling her skirts over her knees and resting on her haunches, her face in her hands.

Oh dear. Poor Gisila! Is there no way out of this? :oops:

“So...who are you?”

“My name is Adelais. I belong to Konrad. I am his woman.”

“But...but I...I thought I was here to marry him...?”

“I am not his wife. I belong to him. Don’t be afraid, I am not your rival. I am his slave.”

“What? What do you mean? How can you be? I don’t understand...”

“Come, come I and sit here with me. What is your name? Tell me.”

“I’m Gisila. I am betrothed to him. My father...”

“Ah yes. He is drinking with Konrad I think. I saw them. They like to drink. He likes to drink very much. This you will come to understand.”

Gisila settled down on the straw mattress, rubbing her eyes against the smoke rising from the little fire beneath the blackened pot.

“So, Adelais... that’s right yes? Adelais. What do you mean when you say you are his? I don’t understand. What do you...”

“What do I do? I cook for him sometimes and I sleep with him sometimes. When he wants it. I do what he asks. I belong to him. Since he took me I am his. For him to do with as he wishes. I am his slave.”

“No. I mean what do you mean when you say you’re his slave? I still don’t understand...”

“I am his. How hard is that to understand? He took me as his after a battle. He took me and now I am his. He is sometimes kind and sometimes not. I am not always unhappy. I think he cares sometimes for me. When he is angry he sometimes beats me but that is normal I think. As men go he is not a bad man.”

“So...so what happened to you? I mean where are you from?

“Here, drink this. I will tell you. So, I come from a place far from here, far away in the East by a bend of the great river they call Danubius. My people are the Eravisci, but I was a slave of the Romans in their city that they call Acquincum. I grew up there with my Roman master and I was his and shared his bed in those days. He was a commander in their army and he took me with him when they went across the river to the North, me and other women who were there to cook or for their pleasure. And that is where I was taken. The Romans were killed and those of us who were with them were chained by the men who had fought them and after many days I arrived here in this place by the river they call the Erphes. So that is my story. And so now I am the slave of Konrad and I live in his house here with nothing. Before I slept in beautiful room with soft blankets and lovely things and other slaves who were my friends and my life was good. But now I am in this place with no-one. I am afraid often. I am afraid to go outside this door and to show myself because they do not like me. They stare at me with strange eyes and comment on me and how I look.”

“But you look beautiful. I think you are beautiful. Doesn’t Konrad?”

“Maybe. He likes my hair and my eyes and my face. He says that. But the others think I am foreign and they think I am just a slave and good for the things a slave is good for. They don’t think I am a girl I think. Just a thing from a strange place. I... I hate them...I hate being here. Look. Here. Here are the chains he uses on me when he wishes. In Acquincum I never wore chains, just jewels to make me pretty. Here he beats me when he tires of me. This never happened with the men from Rome. Look...touch them... these are my chains. See? Feel them on your wrists... See?”

She shivered as she touched the cold metal. It had been a long day and she was tired. But the iron chain seemed somehow to focus her mind. She placed it on her wrist, drew the two halves together. The chain fitted so well, as if it had been made for her.

Slowly she opened the links and slid it back over her hand, then reached out for the glass she’d poured. She placed the bracelet on the table and lay back on the sofa, running her fingers over herself, enjoying the light as it played through the glistening wine.

Chapter Eight​

The sun was setting when she woke, the last light disappearing fast over the red-tiled roofs across the street. Gisela blinked, glancing around the shadowed room. Her glass lay shattered, the wine a small reflecting pool on the wooden floor. She stood, then bit on her lip as a shard cut into her foot; reaching down and touching the trickle of warm blood, her tongue sensing the bitter taste as she placed her finger between her lips, then, dampened, wiped the tiny wound clean.

She blinked again, accustoming herself to the gloom, then gingerly crossed to the kitchen counter and flicked on a light, resting on her elbows, the granite surface cold against her body. Pushing herself up she took another glass, and easing the cork free, poured; a bead of ruby Pinot Noir sliding slowly down the stem, along the tilt of her hand, over her wrist, down the inside of her arm.

The chain lay there, open; somehow staring at her. She paused; moved to the table where her phone lay, waiting.

She dials his number. The phone rings. There’s no answer. It goes to answerphone.

She wonders. “Shall I?”, then hangs up. And immediately redials.

“Er… it’s Gisela. So, well…. I. Well, let’s give it a break tonight. Matthias, I…. well, I just need a bit of space I think. Is that ok? Look, I’ll call you, ok?”

She hung up once more, her fingers hanging on to her mobile, tapping.

“Fuck”.

An hour later she was ready. Showered, dressed. . She wanted to. She span down the stairs into the cool air in Moritzsraße, strolled purposefully along the street, into Michaelisstraße and at the corner dipped into the bar, already half-full with mid-week murmurs and quiet chatter, and ordered herself a scotch. With ice. Dragging herself onto one of the chrome and faux-leather barstools and staring down into her drink, swirling the liquid, searching out a distorted reflection. Trying to capture her own thoughts and somehow place them into an order that would make sense of her day.

“Hi. You’re looking a bit lost. Can I?”

“Sure. Why not. I’m Gisela.”

“Lotte. Nice to meet you. Don’t you think it’s a bit dull here sometimes?”

“What, here in the city? Or this bar? I like… well, it’s a bit of… it feels like a Wednesday to me. I…”

“I hate Wednesday’s too. Not one thing or another. Too far to go to the weekend.”

Gisela smiled, laughed just a little.

“You’re right I think. Hey, shall we have another drink? I think we should don’t you?”

“OK. But just one. I think it will be just too boring to stay here any longer, don’t you think?”

“Just one then. What will you have? I’ll buy.”

With a swish of her hand she cleared the misted mirror and stood facing it. Yes, she was still lovely. Her heavy breasts still had some of the firmness of youth. The hours in the gym showed in her tight muscled stomach. And her hair! That great untamed mass of red curls. She smiled. She knew she could still charm any bird out of any tree.... even that fauve of an intern... “Time for some fun” she thought to herself.... No point staying home with her wine and a DVD... She’d eat up that sushi then get herself ready for a night out in the city. No need to rush. Maybe just another glass of wine while she toweled herself dry...

The light was fading outside. It was so lovely to wander naked around this apartment. All those years of study and hard work. It had been worth it. Now she had her own special place. She slipped a CD into the player... She still loved the tactile feel of the silver discs... “Almost archaic” she thought to herself... “Like me...”. She kept the volume low. Her favourite album... at least for now... “Opheliac”... She settled down on the sofa, unwrapping the white toweling from her head... Letting her hands hang back behind her... How she loved those songs of those crazy girls in their asylum... How it, somehow, brought back distant memories... “...a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead...” . She smiled again and teased a lock into place...

Now it was dark. Time to get moving. The club would be getting going soon. Pulling our drawers and flinging outfits across her bed. What to choose? Hmm... But first of all some make-up... She loved to dress up. The blower soon turned her hair into a cascade of thick red tresses... Now some lipstick... Tonight would be fun.... She pouted her mouth and smiled as she saw the dark green gash smiling back at her... “Crazy crazy girl!”.... Now some lenses... She hated the glasses she had to wear, even if they were sort of nice and designer-ish... “Hmmm... yes, the green ones... or maybe the red... no... too scary!... the green...Beautiful”.

Then the finishing touches.... Her special little box of fun... Those sweet silver piercings... a loop in her nose... two tiny posts through her nipples... and, best of all, that dangly cross that hung from her labia... Now she was ready... But what to wear?
Oh I love this PK!!!

One became two. They chatted and giggled. Talked about films and music. Talked about politics and refugees and the anniversary of the wall and holidays in Greece and their favourite restaurants and drinks and books. And slowly realised that their heads had moved closer and that their knees were touching and their fingers were together on the bar.

For a while the Erphes ford and Acquincum were quite forgotten.

“Shall we go somewhere else? If you’d… if you’d like?”

“I’m back on the dig tomorrow, but…”

“No, it’s alright… I understand… if…”

“No. No, I’d like to I think. Where are you thinking of?”

“Sure?..... Well, if you’re ok to stay out a bit… I know this place in Schlüterstraße… you know, you just keep going up Andreasstraße and then it’s off on the right. Haven’t you been there?”

Oh, desolated to be in late !

But the most important is that Gisela is coming back !:clapping:I like so much !
Your story is so ....... human, Pkin ....:)

Can we share ? ..... cidre_bolee_640.jpg ... but just one ...;)

Reactions: Pia
Chapter 4

The sky outside was streaked pink by the setting sun when the two girls rose, yawning, from their slumbers, stretching their limbs and stroking one another gently.

Gisela untangled herself and disappeared to the kitchen, returning with two slender glasses of wine.

“So Sylvie, you want to know my story... I’m going to have to take you back in time. To another country, a country that doesn’t exist anymore... Are you ready?”

Sylvie looked up, her brow slightly furrowed, and nodded.

It was 1987, and Gisela was looking forward to her eighteenth birthday. She was in her last year at the Heinrich Mann EOS on the corner of Gustav-Freytag-Straße in Löbervorstadt, across the Flutgraben from the city centre. Twelth grade was almost done and she, with her class-mates, held out hopes for getting one of the few places at the Karl-Marx-University in Leipzig. She was a normal, happy-go-lucky teenager, good at her studies and increasingly aware of the shifting mood around her. Things were changing.

Winter, as ever, was bitterly cold. The communal heating system kept the flat tolerably warm, but some days it didn’t work. And the walk to school through the snow-filled streets was a daily nightmare - although an oddly sweet nightmare. Soon New Year would come with the celebrations and in January her birthday at last. She couldn’t help but being excited as she chatted with her friends. The sun sparked on the white banks heaped up by the roadside and the air was filled with scintillating ice crystals. The three girls were well wrapped up, their hair hidden under home made woolen hats, the chill emphasising their young rosy cheeks. It was a long walk from Geraer Straße, but the best part of the day they thought.

“So what are you planning for your big day then Gisela?” asked Hanna, tilting her head and letting a blonde curl fall over her eyes.

“Well, I heard about this great little place in town, in the Domstraße... It’s a bit “underground”, you know: music, poetry, readings, cool stuff...”

“You mean the sort of place that they stake out right eh...You know - hidden cameras and taking lists of names in their filthy little books?” replied Barbara

“Well...I don’t know about that, but it’s my sort of place I’m sure... I think you’ll like it too. Martin said it’s really good and there are some fantastic people there. They really are into... well... You know... Good stuff. Good music and stuff... Will you come?”

“Oh, course we will, won’t we Hanna? We like a bit of playing on the risky side, you know that don’t you?”

Barbara smiled, wrapping her arms round the shoulders of her two friends as they skipped along, kicking the fresh show into the air, their bags bouncing on their backs. Just a few weeks to go then they’d all be eighteen and the world would be theirs!
PK this is so good! I'm on my own at home. Going to get a glass of wine and bring it to bed! Xxx

Back
Top Bottom