Hometown.

Go to CruxDreams.com
In 1970 I had the good fortune, and pleasure, to be stationed in Germany while in the US Army. I was located in Kitzingen at an old ww2 airfield. I was there for a year, and really enjoyed it, despite being in the military. The German people I met were all very friendly and welcoming. I also had the pleasure of experiencing Oktoberfest.
I have many good memories of my time there, and your posts have reminded me of them. So thank you.

I really think - and I really like what I am saying now:
Germany is today one of the most "Americanized" countries in Europe and compared to our history, it is the best what could happen to my country. We are now in the center of Europe and probably one of the most open-minded societies in the world.
As we can see in these Covid-19 times, there are lots of idiots everywhere in all countries around this world - but the absolute majority in Germany is of my following "humble" opinion, I think:
We Germans would not be like this today if there would not have been so many US American tourists and even more soldiers here in the last 70 years. We were sometimes surprised how many US soldiers had German ancestors and there developed many friendships between us simply because of the similar names.
And we Germans really, really loved in our country some of these former US soldiers like Elvis Presley or Bill Ramsey.
Sometimes, you even hear the joke that we could become one of the next US states because the similarities to the US are bigger than with some of our other neighbouring states.
In fact, I was in the USA in 1988 for about a month and I felt like being in another Germany but only with a different language.
And I often liked the friendly behaviour of US soldiers towards us Germans. For example, I once remarked a forgotten full beer bottle in a hotel near some US soldiers and asked them if it was one of them who forgot it. The answer: "No! Absolutely impossible that one of us could ever forget a bottle of German beer!"
I loved this answer!
;)
So, thank you, too!

Last edited:
I’m looking forward to visiting Bavaria next May
About 50 % of our German "tribes" say that "Bavaria" is not really "Germany" because they do not really understand the Bavarian dialect and say that most of this conservative "Bavaria" is more like a German "Texas without guns" !
;) :p But their capital Munich / München has become very "German" again during the last decades ... :) :D

About 50 % of our German "tribes" say that "Bavaria" is not really "Germany" because they do not really understand the Bavarian dialect and say that most of this conservative "Bavaria" is more like a German "Texas without guns" !
;) :p But their capital Munich / München has become very "German" again during the last decades ... :) :D
Yes I’ve heard this many times, still feels very German to a foreigner like me! And I love mountains so naturally I love Bavaria…

My late wife was a civilian attached to the British army near Paderborn, so did not have to live in Barracks or the Mess. She and another girl lodged with a family in one of your large houses designed for multiple generations, and had a great time. She learnt to drive in Germany, and failed her British driving examination the first time she came back; I always thought she was quite a nervous driver in England. When we holidayed in Germany in her car, her driving suddenly became very confident; she could predict other traffic with ease, and wasn't afraid to be assertive when needed. When meeting her ex-army friends, they all spoke warmly about their time in Rheindahlen and Paderborn.

My late wife was a civilian attached to the British army near Paderborn, so did not have to live in Barracks or the Mess. She and another girl lodged with a family in one of your large houses designed for multiple generations, and had a great time. She learnt to drive in Germany, and failed her British driving examination the first time she came back; I always thought she was quite a nervous driver in England. When we holidayed in Germany in her car, her driving suddenly became very confident; she could predict other traffic with ease, and wasn't afraid to be assertive when needed. When meeting her ex-army friends, they all spoke warmly about their time in Rheindahlen and Paderborn.

For reasons of "international justice" ;) after your friendly posting, I also have to mention now "Chris Howland", who was for some decades the most famous Englishman in Germany as you can see in the difference of length in these two Wikipedia articles in English and German:

In my opinion, talented friendly persons & artists with a global thinking and international approach like Chris Howland, Elvis Presley, Bill Ramsey, Connie Francis, Mireille Mathieu and many others from many other countries can do and have done during the last 70 years much more for the international friendship between our nations than probably most of our politicians ever did.
Thank you for the visits and stays of such wonderful people to Germany!
:)

For reasons of "international justice" ;) after your friendly posting, I also have to mention now "Chris Howland", who was for some decades the most famous Englishman in Germany as you can see in the difference of length in these two Wikipedia articles in English and German:

In my opinion, talented friendly persons & artists with a global thinking and international approach like Chris Howland, Elvis Presley, Bill Ramsey, Connie Francis, Mireille Mathieu and many others from many other countries can do and have done during the last 70 years much more for the international friendship between our nations than probably most of our politicians ever did.
Thank you for the visits and stays of such wonderful people to Germany!
:)
An interesting story about an American artist stationed in Germany with the US military. Johnny Cash was a poor kid from Arkansas who joined the US Air Force in 1950 at the age of 18. He became a Morse Code operator and was stationed in Landsberg, Germany with the job of monitoring Soviet radio transmissions. One day in March, 1953, he picked up signals that said that Josef Stalin had died. He is believed to have been the first person in the West to hear that news.

My home state isn't nearly as picturesque as most other places, but rather is incredibly flat. If you look in any direction from my town's city limits, you would see something pretty close to this (at the right time of the year).
large960_blu.jpg

An aerial view. Not much to look at, but on the plus side we can see can the tornadoes coming. :biggrin:
Sumner160-0566.jpg

My home state isn't nearly as picturesque as most other places, but rather is incredibly flat. If you look in any direction from my town's city limits, you would see something pretty close to this (at the right time of the year).
View attachment 1146366

An aerial view. Not much to look at, but on the plus side we can see can the tornadoes coming. :biggrin:
View attachment 1146367
Ah, the prairies. Where you can sit on your front porch and watch the dog runaway for hour after hour!

Back
Top Bottom