How To Beat An Isp Block.

Go to CruxDreams.com

jonesygirl

Tribunica Potestas
In the UK the govt. have ordered ISPs to block certain file sharing sites. This has not gone down too well but in reality it is just a minor nuisance and easy to get round. We are in the UK using Windows XP.
An ISP uses a Domain Name System (DNS) server. It chooses one for you. If they do not wish you to view a site then they instruct the DNS to ignore requests for banned sites. The DNS is basically a big address book which stores lots of addresses in the form of an IP address which is a string of numbers. There is however no legal obligation to use the DNS server provided by your ISP. To change DNS servers in Windows XP

Click Start followed by Control Panel
Then Network and Internet Connections
Now Network Connections. Now right click the relevant local area connection entry and choose Properties.. In the window that appears double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) to open its properties. Make a note of current settings.
Once the TCP/IP properties window is open click “Use the Following DNS server addresses” and add your choice of the following addresses:

Google Public DNS enter 8.8.8.8 in the Preferred DNS server box and 8.8.4.4 in the Alternate DNS server field.

To use Open DNS set the preferred server to 208.67.222.222 and the alternative to 208.67.220.220

To undo the changes retrace the steps above and switch back to obtaining DNS server addresses automatically.

This article may prove useful.
http://www.computingunleashed.com/how-to-access-blocked.html

I was thinking mainly of people like Jedakk who often work in Saudi country and cannot access the Forum. I know there are other ways so I shall investigate.

Julie

Incredible that somebody is thinking that missing DNS entries might be an efficient way to block something.
Oh well, talk about competence of politicians!
This time it's good for us, so let's not complain to loud! ;)

There are however other means to efficiently block, for example based on the real IP address.
But also in this case there are workarounds:
There are "anonymizers" and "private VPN services".
The principle in both cases is the following:
The user establishes a session to the anonymizing service, a server that is located "somewhere" in the world.
Access to the "destination" server is always via this intermediate server, what defeats any blocks.
The "private VPN" encrypts the session between user and intermediate server, this disabling "spying" of (user)local authorities.

Hi,
I've just tried another way which I thought would work...but it didn't. I went to Start and Run then typed in cmd and OK. At the prompt I typed in ping www.cruxforums.com and it came up with the IP 193.169.40.41 but when I typed http//193.169.40.41 in my browser the computer came up with not found. Why can't I ping Cruxforums?

There are 23 domains on that IP address. That's why you get nowhere this way.
The ISP needs to receive the domain name in order to be able to direct your request to the correct instance on said server.
I am not sure if there is a workaround.

Incredible that somebody is thinking that missing DNS entries might be an efficient way to block something.
Oh well, talk about competence of politicians!
This time it's good for us, so let's not complain to loud! ;)

There are however other means to efficiently block, for example based on the real IP address.
But also in this case there are workarounds:
There are "anonymizers" and "private VPN services".
The principle in both cases is the following:
The user establishes a session to the anonymizing service, a server that is located "somewhere" in the world.
Access to the "destination" server is always via this intermediate server, what defeats any blocks.
The "private VPN" encrypts the session between user and intermediate server, this disabling "spying" of (user)local authorities.

I use internet windows explorer.... when I go to the cruxforums site(but also with other safe sites controled by Norton) I'm oftenly "out" during the session: the message is "internet explorer doesn't work any more" and I have to restart explorer and have to recall the site. My connection is ok! Even I have the problem not only at home but oftenly elswhere too. A system recovery doesn't help ....Any idea? private conversation or public solutionflower3 ?

Try using Mozilla Firefox instead. We haven't used Internet Explorer in years. Firefox is a lot faster and has never let us down. We also stopped using Norton years ago and prefer the free combined firewall and antivirus from ZoneAlarm. There's no point in trying to use System Restore. Just try a different browser.

There are 23 domains on that IP address. That's why you get nowhere this way.
The ISP needs to receive the domain name in order to be able to direct your request to the correct instance on said server.
I am not sure if there is a workaround.

If I had the Domain name would I be able to ping CruxForums and get the correct IP?

I use internet windows explorer.... when I go to the cruxforums site(but also with other safe sites controled by Norton) I'm oftenly "out" during the session: the message is "internet explorer doesn't work any more" and I have to restart explorer and have to recall the site. My connection is ok! Even I have the problem not only at home but oftenly elswhere too. A system recovery doesn't help ....Any idea? private conversation or public solutionflower3 ?
This site is heavily script based. Your problem may be caused by IE not properly working with those scripts in the configuration you have.
Try Firefox and make sure you have the latest version of Java installed.

If this still doesn't work, then system restore (better: Completely new setup) may be something to look at. In such cases I suggest buying a new harddisk and starting from scratch, as the harddisk is one of the parts on a computer that is aging and as this way lets us always go back to your "old" system if you need to.

If I had the Domain name would I be able to ping CruxForums and get the correct IP?
No.
If you ping www.cruxforums.com, you will just get the IP of the host system (physical server) that is hosting a number of domains, all on the same IP address.
Try for example
ping www.cruxforums.com
ping www.cruxdreams.com
(and there are more)
You always get the same IP address back.

This host system has a table that is allowing it to map the request to the correct virtual host on said server.
There may be ways top get "through" without the domain name, but if there are, then it is most likely provider-dependent and not a general method.

I'm beginning to understand. Using reverse IP address I can see the 23 domains associated with the IP address 193.169.40.41 .Image Maker is one of the 23 and of course CruxDreams. Is there a way that IM could give jedakk some link whereby he can access this site without arousing web filters or the attention of a Saudi ISP. At the moment the best bet seems to be simply changing your DNS server.

I'm beginning to understand. Using reverse IP address I can see the 23 domains associated with the IP address 193.169.40.41 .Image Maker is one of the 23 and of course CruxDreams. Is there a way that IM could give jedakk some link whereby he can access this site without arousing web filters or the attention of a Saudi ISP. At the moment the best bet seems to be simply changing your DNS server.
For Jedakk, the one and only solution I would propose is using a "private VPN". This prevents spying on his traffic (by the Saudi ISP) as well.
(Google for "private VPN providers")
I don't know however if this isn't blocked by the Saudi ISP's as well.

The VPN services are cheap and may well bypass the Saudi ISPs..will look into it deeper. Could you suggest a reliable VPN provider?

The VPN services are cheap and may well bypass the Saudi ISPs..will look into it deeper. Could you suggest a reliable VPN provider?
I don't have any personal experience with such services so far, so I am a bit reluctant to give suggestions.
But Steganos OkayFreedom at least is from a known source...

Said blocking actually may be an issue. So Jedakk would need to build his "own" service (by having a PC running "at home" that he uses as "hop".

Going through a PC "at home" might work, but I don't think changing the DNS server is likely to work for me. Saudi internet connections all go through a set of proxies, and they use Websense to filter things, not only by URL but by content. If you try to use any other DNS server, you just don't connect at all. Email seems to be the only thing that gets through unimpeded.

Yes, and some filters also looks at things like "skin colour", so a VPN via a "hop" at home may be the most secure way, IF they permit VPN! This way nobody can see what you are doing.
The next best option is using a PC at home with some remote support software like Teamviewer to basically access said PC from "the sand", but the actual session is between the PC at home and the destination server.
Advantage being that you have access to all your stuff.
Danger being that somebody might hack the remote host. So the "PC at home" best is "just a naked PC without any data or accounts on it". It can be old...

Back
Top Bottom