Merged "Happy Birthday !!!" Thread

Go to CruxDreams.com
There is always a time and a place.

There is 48 hours in an Earth Day or is that a World Day?

One never knows!
:D

Right? Luna???
;)
Need to better explain.....
I'll give you an example that you can understand why.
Imagine you are living in Greenwich, are the 00,01 pm on March 31, you receive a message from a ship in the Pacific near the line of the date change, a little west, the message is dated April 1, 00,01 am.
In the world so it's already April 1st.
Later, at precisely 12.59 am on April 2, you receive a message from the same ship which is a little east of the International Date Line change, the message is dated 12.59 pm on April 1.
Then in the world is still April 1st.
How many hours have gone by 00.01 pm on March 31 at 12.59 am on April 2 in Greenwich?
The calculation is obvious: 48 hours; seems like a paradox but it is not, why in the world are always two dates at the same time. Since in a place begins for the first time a day on the calendar to the time in which, in another place, ends for the last time the same date 48 hours are passing!
Too complicated my friends???

I'm not gone mad, it is not as complicated as the theory of relativity or quantum mechanics.:confused:
:p:p:p

Need to better explain.....
I'll give you an example that you can understand why.

I'm not gone mad, it is not as complicated as the theory of relativity or quantum mechanics.:confused:
:p:p:p

Except it is not 00:01 pm but 12:01 pm in your example, the max time difference in either direction is twelve hours.

Of course the real problem is that Earth's day is not in fact 24 hours but 23 hours 56 minutes and 4.1 seconds and even that is an approximation whose exact value varies depending on whether you are using the solar or sidereal measures.

Then add in that thanks to to tidal acceleration the rotation of the Earth is slowing down (What wait? I thought they said acceleration:confused::p) and yes keeping an exact track of things gets hard...luckily humans are good at getting along with inexact but consistent :D

Still we make extra time for special people's birthdays ;)

Except it is not 00:01 pm but 12:01 pm in your example, the max time difference in either direction is twelve hours.....
Ok 12,01 pm (your complicated time measurement!:p we are using 24 hours and 01 pm is 13 and 11,59 pm is 23,59 tout court) This does not move the problem, but I suppose that you have not grasped the meaning of what I wrote. No one doubts the accuracy of what you say in terms of astronomical duration of the day or the length of the average civilian time. But you thinks about what I have written, (sorry to have written 12,59 instead 11,59; mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa) if at Greenwich are the hours 12.01 pm on 31 March, just west of the International Date Line is already April 1st, and when are the hours 11.59 am on April 2, at east of the International Date line are still 11.59 pm on April 1st!
In Greenwich, as in any other place on earth, the day lasts on average of 24 hours, but 12 hours before, to the east, has already begun on the day that you start to count from your midnight on your watch, and when for you the day is already over, to the west, the day still lives for another 12 hours!
(Maybe I can misunderstood what you have written to me in the message, but perhaps, I'm sorry, I do not interpret your language so well and I may be wrong)
REVISION
Imagine you are living in Greenwich, are the 12,01 pm on March 31, you receive a message from a ship in the Pacific near the line of the date change, a little west, the message is dated April 1, 00,01 am.
In the world so it's already April 1st.
Later, at precisely 11.59 am on April 2, you receive a message from the same ship which is a little east of the International Date Line change, the message is dated 11.59 pm on April 1.
Then in the world is still April 1st.
How many hours have gone by 12.01 pm on March 31 at 11.59 am on April 2 in Greenwich?
The calculation is obvious: 48 hours; seems like a paradox but it is not, why in the world are always two dates at the same time. Since in a place begins for the first time a day on the calendar to the time in which, in another place, ends for the last time the same date 48 hours are passing!
:oops:

Last edited:
No it does not because the day does not flip over at midnight GMT but midday GMT and that makes an important difference as that means across the world for 12 hours of every day we all have the same date :)

Hum I think I needed lunch more than I thought...I meant that at Greenwich, London we have the same date as the leading edge for twelve hours and then the trailing edge of the world time zones for twelve hours. Still the point is that each day does take 24 hours to proceed because the relation at the international dateline is always 24 hours apart.

However except for that one zone of 15 equatorial degrees east of the International Date Line all the rest of the world will at some point experience the same date even if just for an hour. Of course the idea that the date line represents is a purely arbitrary abstraction.

So the point is that as your April 1st ticks over into 00:00:01 April 2nd next door of the International Date Line finally reaches 00:00:01 April 1st, by the clocks anyway, while at Greenwich the time will be 12:00:01 April 1st... the total spread is thus never more than 24 hours.

Last edited:
Hum I think I needed lunch more than I thought...I meant that at Greenwich, London we have the same date as the leading edge for twelve hours and then the trailing edge of the world time zones for twelve hours. Still the point is that each day does take 24 hours to proceed because the relation at the international dateline is always 24 hours apart.

However except for that one zone of 15 equatorial degrees east of the International Date Line all the rest of the world will at some point experience the same date even if just for an hour. Of course the idea that the date line represents is a purely arbitrary abstraction.

So the point is that as your April 1st ticks over into 00:00:01 April 2nd next door of the International Date Line finally reaches 00:00:01 April 1st, by the clocks anyway, while at Greenwich the time will be 12:00:01 April 1st... the total spread is thus never more than 24 hours.
:doh:

Except it is not 00:01 pm but 12:01 pm in your example, the max time difference in either direction is twelve hours.

Of course the real problem is that Earth's day is not in fact 24 hours but 23 hours 56 minutes and 4.1 seconds and even that is an approximation whose exact value varies depending on whether you are using the solar or sidereal measures.

Then add in that thanks to to tidal acceleration the rotation of the Earth is slowing down (What wait? I thought they said acceleration:confused::p) and yes keeping an exact track of things gets hard...luckily humans are good at getting along with inexact but consistent :D

Still we make extra time for special people's birthdays ;)

jurist prelude.jpg

seems like someone trampled on the party... I just came here for the sex...

t

...shut up, Ulrika...

image.jpg

You make the sun burn brighter
The tides run true
Our days are so much sweeter
All because of you!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

french_happy_birthday.gif

Back
Top Bottom