Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
Two hundred and twenty years ago today, on 26 February 1802, Victor Hugo was born in Besançon.

Notre-Dame de Paris and Les Misérables keep him in public consciousness still -- unlike the great majority of his literary contemporaries.

And Esmeralda has been tortured on CF from time to time. :devil:

Eighty years ago, on February 27th 1942, an attempt from a combined Dutch-British-American-Australian surface fleet to stop the Japanese invasion of Java, ended disastrous. Better scouting, preparation and gunpower from the Japanese side, inflicted heavy losses, in the (First) Battle of the Java Sea. The Dutch surface fleet in the Indies was as good as wiped out. A second attempt, by the remaining ships (for some after emergency repairs), the Second Battle of the Java Sea, on March 1st, would as well fail (including the loss of HMS Exeter, veteran of the Battle of the River Plate in 1939).

Eighty years ago, on February 27th 1942, an attempt from a combined Dutch-British-American-Australian surface fleet to stop the Japanese invasion of Java, ended disastrous. Better scouting, preparation and gunpower from the Japanese side, inflicted heavy losses, in the (First) Battle of the Java Sea. The Dutch surface fleet in the Indies was as good as wiped out. A second attempt, by the remaining ships (for some after emergency repairs), the Second Battle of the Java Sea, on March 1st, would as well fail (including the loss of HMS Exeter, veteran of the Battle of the River Plate in 1939).
Indeed, the only allied warships to survive were four old US destroyers.

Indeed, the only allied warships to survive were four old US destroyers.
It's the "aggressor's advantage" against unprepared forces. It's not uncommon for the side that starts the conflict to be better armed and organized since they had the advantage of knowing what was going to take place, and score early victories. Fortunately, many times the aggressor's long range planning and logistics capabilities were not well planned, as well as underestimating their enemies (Europe's eastern front in 42 & 43 for example).
It was not long after that that Japan suffered a crippling defeat at Midway, part of which was caused b their failure to change their naval codes. Overconfidence from early victories took it's toll.

Last edited:
The Australian soap 'Neighbours' will end, after 37 years.
The series became broadcasted on the European continent, with a few seasons behind on the Australian schedule.

I recall, in 1993, there was a young man on a train, apparently an Australian, complaining what a retarded country we were, because our network was still broadcasting the episodes with Jason Donovan (who had left in 1989).

The Australian soap 'Neighbours' will end, after 37 years.
The series became broadcasted on the European continent, with a few seasons behind on the Australian schedule.

I recall, in 1993, there was a young man on a train, apparently an Australian, complaining what a retarded country we were, because our network was still broadcasting the episodes with Jason Donovan (who had left in 1989).
Am I the only CFer who deserves to be crucified because I regularly watch Neighbours? I'm saddened by the news; I only watch it for the fit, young ladies, of course.

On March 5th, 1946, Winston Churchill held his 'Iron Curtain' speech in Westminster College, Fulton Missouri.

It was not the first use of the term 'iron curtain' in a geopolitical context. It was first used by Elisabeth, Queen of the Belgians (1876-1965) , in 1915, during the first world war. Being a born German, she was suspected of double loyalty. Hence, she used the 'iron curtain' metaphor, to make clear she had broken with her German family ("An iron curtain has dropped between me and those people!").

In 1936. The prototype of the Supermarine type 224 first flew at Eastleigh Airfield, Hampshire U.K
The aircraft was designed by Reginald J.Mitchell.
Of course,aviation enthusiasts know this,iconic wonderful machine as the "Spitfire" a truly innovative design that was pivotal to the RAF, during World War II.
Particularly in 1940,when Gt.Britain stood alone,against the threat of Nazi tyranny.

Happy Anniversary to my favourite aircraft.
Fortunately I managed to sit in one,a couple of years ago....
A proud moment, indeed. :)

IMG_122863486480901.jpegIMG_5299309171984.jpegIMG_10973028824234.jpegIMG_2546887191926.jpegFB_IMG_1476116794483.jpgIMG_31540602068161.jpegFB_IMG_1477927693910.jpg20180724_213018.jpg20150818_152420.jpg20211029_101145.jpg

Back
Top Bottom