Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
No I think that’s for emperors!
There are two standard procedures for (post-Roman) emperors :
a) the pope smashes a crown on the new (and ignorant) emperor's head "Here, put this on, you are an emperor now!" (Charlemagne in 800 AD).
b) to have himself crowned, the future emperor abducts manu militari the pope from Rome,, and at the ceremony, he boldly grabs the crown out of the pope's hands, and puts it on his head himself (Napoleon in 1804 AD).

a) the pope smashes a crown on the new (and ignorant) emperor's head "Here, put this on, you are an emperor now!" (Charlemagne in 800 AD).
b) to have himself crowned, the future emperor abducts manu militari the pope from Rome,, and at the ceremony, he boldly grabs the crown out of the pope's hands, and puts it on his head himself (Napoleon in 1804 AD).
No grass crowns then?

I was in York the other day, where Constantine happened to be when he was proclaimed Emperor, pretty much at one of the furthest edges of the Roman Empire. He must have thought “Bloody hell, this is inconvenient.” :doh:

Have those outfits changed any since the 1500s?
Not much, the Royal Arms, which are the front of most of the jackets, can be changed but haven't been for ages.
And their titles: Garter Principal King of Arms outside St. James's Palace, London, and then by the Lord Lyon King of Arms at the Mercat Cross in Edinburgh.
1662921781237.png Does Lord @Wragg belong to this club?:D

Well Lord Wragg told us he was off for a holiday down south, but that was just when we were getting ominous announcements about the health of the Queen ... maybe he has some ancient, noble office to perform on these occasions ... Cruxton Herald of the new Threads, Lord Keeper of the Wine Cellar, Master of the Rattling Chains and Gentleman Usher of the Demeriting Rod?

Well Lord Wragg told us he was off for a holiday down south, but that was just when we were getting ominous announcements about the health of the Queen ... maybe he has some ancient, noble office to perform on these occasions ... Cruxton Herald of the new Threads, Lord Keeper of the Wine Cellar, Master of the Rattling Chains and Gentleman Usher of the Demeriting Rod?
That last one should keep him rather busy without all the others.

Last edited:
He did it all in one day? :eek: :devil:
Before le petit dejeuner! :p
(Actually that's the time when I'm most likely to decipher hieroglyphs and suchlike, before my brain gets befuddled with stuff coming at me from all directions :D )

It's a happy birthday to :) and to :(. They get 40 years old today.:dev14:

Originally they looked as :) and :-(. They were invented by a computer scientist named Scott Fahlman (born 1948). The purpose was to support he communication in the new medium, called e-mail. The signs should allow the rreader to discern beween jokes and serious matter.
They were used for the first time on september 19th 1982.

Back
Top Bottom