Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
Milestone in a milestone : we already reached 400 pages of milestones! :thumbsup:

And before we overlook it too : yesterday, 8th of January 2023 marked the 200th annivesary of the birth of Alfred Russel Wallace (1823-1913). Wallace was a biologist and geographer, who made naturalist expeditions to Brazil and the Indonesian Archipelo. In the late 1850's, interested in the relationships between the various species he found, he reported his findings to someone he knew who could also be interested in it : a certain Charles Darwin. Wallace had worked out a theory, demonstrating that species evolved from a parent species, by adaptation, to new variations which could replace the parent variation. This was exactly the theory that Darwin had written down about 20 years earlier, but never had published it, out of fear for hostile reactions, since it totally refuted the Biblical creation. The letter from Wallace was the instigation for Darwin to publish his 'On the origin of Species' (1859), after having published a common paper with Wallace about the topic.
I heard a talk today, part of the events marking the anniversary, about his early trip to the Amazon - it was briefer, and less significant for the development of the idea of natural selection, than his later time in SE Asia - and beset with setbacks, catching malaria, and the ship he was returning to Britain in caught fire so he lost most of the specimens he'd collected. But he managed to save a small box with his meticulous drawings of palm species in it - and when he got home he re-wrote from memory the account he'd written of this experiences! What I found especially interesting is the serious and sympathetic interest he took in the native peoples he met, and what he learnt from them about the plants, insects and birds, the uses they made of natural resources. Although he was an excellent observer and draughtsman, he wasn't a typical scientist of his time, and got sneering reviews from some of the scientific establishment, but in modern terms he was an enlightened ethnobotanist, and wrote for interested general readers, not just for the scientific elite. .

Hundred years ago : when Belgium invaded Germany.

On January 11th 1923, today 100 years ago, French and Belgian troops occupied the industrial Ruhr area in Germany. The motive was the cessation of the payment of war repairs by the German government, which had been imposed by the Versailles Treaty (1919).

The problem for Germany was, that it had financed its war efforts with loans, which had to be paid back. In case of a victory, these loans could have been recuperated by war repairs to be paid to Germany. But now, on top of the loans, Germany had to pay itself repairs. Despite the fact that the German industry had come out of the war undamaged, all these debts were too heavy for the German economy, and they created inflation, because money was printed to purchase the foreign currency in which the war repairs had to be paid.

France, under the radical anti-German policy of the Poincaré government, and Belgium, hoped to recover repairs in raw materials (coal and steel), and therefore sent troops into the Ruhr area (starting from the post-war Belgian occupation zone on the left bank of the river Rhine). But the German workers in the occupied Ruhr area went on strike, supported by their government, that kept paying them. This plunged the already fragile German state finances into a disastrous hyperinflation.

Internationally, the occupation was met with lots of critics, as an act of French aggression. It also caused outrage in Belgium, because the government had submitted to French interests.

The crisis was solved by the Dawes plan in 1924 (Charles Dawes, who became vice-president of US president Calvin Coolidge in his 1925-1929 term, and received the 1925 Nobel Prize for Peace for his plan). The Dawes Plan foresaw a reorganization of the German state finances (among which : financing the war repairs with American loans), of the war repair schedule, and on the retreat from the occupation on the Ruhr. With a less radical government in France, the way was also paved for the Locarno Treaty in 1925, which restored much of Germany’s diplomatic status. The dark side of the hyperinflation was the rise of right wing nationalist groups in Germany. The occupation of the Ruhr is sometimes called ‘the act of birth of Nazism’. Later in 1923, Hitler would carry out his failed Bierkellerputsch in Munich. The real opportunity for Nazism would come when, in the Great Depression, the US stopped providing loans, plunging German economy once more into crisis.

On January 11th 1923, today 100 years ago, French and Belgian troops occupied the industrial Ruhr area in Germany. The motive was the cessation of the payment of war repairs by the German government, which had been imposed by the Versailles Treaty (1919).

The problem for Germany was, that it had financed its war efforts with loans, which had to be paid back. In case of a victory, these loans could have been recuperated by war repairs to be paid to Germany. But now, on top of the loans, Germany had to pay itself repairs. Despite the fact that the German industry had come out of the war undamaged, all these debts were too heavy for the German economy, and they created inflation, because money was printed to purchase the foreign currency in which the war repairs had to be paid.

France, under the radical anti-German policy of the Poincaré government, and Belgium, hoped to recover repairs in raw materials (coal and steel), and therefore sent troops into the Ruhr area (starting from the post-war Belgian occupation zone on the left bank of the river Rhine). But the German workers in the occupied Ruhr area went on strike, supported by their government, that kept paying them. This plunged the already fragile German state finances into a disastrous hyperinflation.

Internationally, the occupation was met with lots of critics, as an act of French aggression. It also caused outrage in Belgium, because the government had submitted to French interests.

The crisis was solved by the Dawes plan in 1924 (Charles Dawes, who became vice-president of US president Calvin Coolidge in his 1925-1929 term, and received the 1925 Nobel Prize for Peace for his plan). The Dawes Plan foresaw a reorganization of the German state finances (among which : financing the war repairs with American loans), of the war repair schedule, and on the retreat from the occupation on the Ruhr. With a less radical government in France, the way was also paved for the Locarno Treaty in 1925, which restored much of Germany’s diplomatic status. The dark side of the hyperinflation was the rise of right wing nationalist groups in Germany. The occupation of the Ruhr is sometimes called ‘the act of birth of Nazism’. Later in 1923, Hitler would carry out his failed Bierkellerputsch in Munich. The real opportunity for Nazism would come when, in the Great Depression, the US stopped providing loans, plunging German economy once more into crisis.
This reminds me of what has to be done after this Russo-Ukrainian war. I don't know if this post is appropriate here. Nevertheless it's a good post.

A partnership of sorts (German manufactures for Russian raw materials) developed when Germany and the Soviet Union both felt ostracized after World War I. It even continued after Hitler came to power, once posturing was replaced by real-politik. This led to the Nazi-Soviet treaty of 1939, and Stalin used German (and American) expertise and manufacturing prowess to build up his war machine. On paper it looked good. In 1941 it was mostly destroyed "on the ground".

Today is Lunar New Year as the year of the rabbit dawns. (Rias must be dejected to see the Tiger ushered out.) Unfortunately, someone shot up a lunar new year party in California. The perpetrator killed himself as the SWAT team approached. It is not know yet whether it was a hate crime or some dispute within the Chinese-American community. I for one am getting heartily sick of people projecting their personal problems on other people.

I heard a talk today, part of the events marking the anniversary, about his early trip to the Amazon - it was briefer, and less significant for the development of the idea of natural selection, than his later time in SE Asia - and beset with setbacks, catching malaria, and the ship he was returning to Britain in caught fire so he lost most of the specimens he'd collected. But he managed to save a small box with his meticulous drawings of palm species in it - and when he got home he re-wrote from memory the account he'd written of this experiences! What I found especially interesting is the serious and sympathetic interest he took in the native peoples he met, and what he learnt from them about the plants, insects and birds, the uses they made of natural resources. Although he was an excellent observer and draughtsman, he wasn't a typical scientist of his time, and got sneering reviews from some of the scientific establishment, but in modern terms he was an enlightened ethnobotanist, and wrote for interested general readers, not just for the scientific elite. .
Wallace is know for the concept of the "Wallace Line" that separates the fauna and flora of Southeast Asia from that of Australia and New Guinea--the dividing sea channels were apparently too deep to cross. He was a hard-working, creative scientist, and the threat of his going to press first finally got Darwin off his butt and publish all the work and thinking he himself had done over the years. Apparently Darwin was worried about how it would be received, by "religion" in particular.

Not a mile, but a stone indeed.
Repent your sins, all of you!
Ever heard of 2023 BU?
I guess not, since the thing was only discovered last Saturday, January 21st 2023..
2023 BU is an asteroid, about 5 m in diameter, that is sneaking towards Earth, from the night side.
It is calculated that, on January 24th or 25th, it will miss Earth by 9877 km, measured from the centerpoint, with an error margin of +/- 2600 km.
This means that, earth having a radius of about 6400 km, it will pass some 3500 km over our head. The lowest possible passage from the error margin is however hardly 780 km high, only twice the double of the ISS orbit above Earth.
Even if it would miss, but pass at low altitude, when it would cross atmosphere, it could create a hell of a shockwave.
Irony : off all places, the asteroid was discovered by an observatory on the Crimea.

Ever heard of 2023 BU?
I guess not, since the thing was only discovered last Saturday, January 21st 2023..
2023 BU is an asteroid, about 5 m in diameter, that is sneaking towards Earth, from the night side.
It is calculated that, on January 24th or 25th, it will miss Earth by 9877 km, measured from the centerpoint, with an error margin of +/- 2600 km.
This means that, earth having a radius of about 6400 km, it will pass some 3500 km over our head. The lowest possible passage from the error margin is however hardly 780 km high, only twice the double of the ISS orbit above Earth.
Even if it would miss, but pass at low altitude, when it would cross atmosphere, it could create a hell of a shockwave.
Irony : off all places, the asteroid was discovered by an observatory on the Crimea.
Has anyone contacted Bruce Willis? :eek:

Ever heard of 2023 BU?
I believe that's what is considered a near miss.

For all cultural CF members, on January 26, 1979 Dukes of Hazzard premiered. It ran for seven seasons and allegedly wrecked 300 Dodge Chargers filming it...
And everyone responsible for that abomination should have been arrested, whipped bloody for the wasting all those Chargers, then shot at sunrise for subjecting the public at large to that show.
(no offense to DoH fans out there, but I have to call it like I see it)

And everyone responsible for that abomination should have been arrested, whipped bloody for the wasting all those Chargers, then shot at sunrise for subjecting the public at large to that show.
(no offense to DoH fans out there, but I have to call it like I see it)
Yeee-har! Go tell 'em, Wulf! :)

For all cultural CF members, on January 26, 1979 Dukes of Hazzard premiered. It ran for seven seasons and allegedly wrecked 300 Dodge Chargers filming it...
A deceased friend of mine was a police chief, and he used to binge watch various shows. One was Jim Garner's "The Rockford Files". "Sometimes the headlights on his car (improbably parked next to his trailer in a parking lot next to the beach in Malibu) are square, sometimes round." I guess Hollywood goes through so many cars that it's hard to maintain consistency. Garner if I recall was a racer in his younger days, and did all his driving stunts himself--he certainly went through a lot of tires at least. The "Little Old Lady from Pasadena" had a Dodge--not sure if it was a Charger.

A deceased friend of mine was a police chief, and he used to binge watch various shows. One was Jim Garner's "The Rockford Files". "Sometimes the headlights on his car (improbably parked next to his trailer in a parking lot next to the beach in Malibu) are square, sometimes round." I guess Hollywood goes through so many cars that it's hard to maintain consistency. Garner if I recall was a racer in his younger days, and did all his driving stunts himself--he certainly went through a lot of tires at least. The "Little Old Lady from Pasadena" had a Dodge--not sure if it was a Charger.
That was the mid 60's and the Charger came out a bit later.

In the infamously low budget "Plan 9 From Outer Space", we see a car chase where the black car suddenly cuts to a white car and then back to a black one again. It's interesting that this movie REALLY gets called out for sloppy continuity errors, yet even today pretty much everything has lots of them.

In the 1960 epic "Spartacus", there's a famous scene (probably edited out for the DVD release) where an extra walks past in the scene background and is clearly wearing a watch on his wrist, or, much more recently in the final episode of Game Of Thrones, where there's a Starbucks cup on the table in a tavern scene...

Back
Top Bottom