Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
David McCullough, American Pulitzer Prize winning historian and biographer dead at 83. Remembered for his sonorous and somber voice, commanding presence and shock of white hair, Mr. McCullough appeared frequently on television series such as PBS’s “American Experience.” He often collaborated with filmmaker Ken Burns and narrated Burns’s Emmy Award-winning documentary series “The Civil War.”

David McCullough, American Pulitzer Prize winning historian and biographer dead at 83. Remembered for his sonorous and somber voice, commanding presence and shock of white hair, Mr. McCullough appeared frequently on television series such as PBS’s “American Experience.” He often collaborated with filmmaker Ken Burns and narrated Burns’s Emmy Award-winning documentary series “The Civil War.”
"The Civil War" was a great documentary programme, I watched it again fairly recently, and it stood the test of time extremely well.
We were used to high quality US Tv Entertainment shows, like Burns and Allen and Sergeant Bilko, in the 70s and 80s, but "The Civil War" was an eye opener to the quality of the more "serious" programmes being produced.

The obituary in the New York Times has an hour-long interview with him at the Library of Congress. It's basically a monologue, in the quarter hour or so I watched he talks about how he writes. I have quite a number of his books. Supposedly he was going to do Picasso, but was so "repelled" by him that he did Harry Truman instead. The one disagreeable thing I know about him is that he opposed off-shore wind farms because they spoiled his view.

Here it is--John Adams. I think the long-winded introduction lasts about 6 minutes.

Last edited:
Has a Celtic sound to it?
Thought so too Barb, some ancient melody adapted by Burns and his production company. Not so.

The Ashokan Reservoir, located in Ulster County, New York, United States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ashokan_Farewell.ogg

"Ashokan Farewell" /əˈʃoʊˌkæn/ is a piece of music composed by the American folk musician Jay Ungar in 1982. For many years it served as a goodnight or farewell waltz at the annual Ashokan Fiddle & Dance Camps run by Ungar and his wife Molly Mason, who gave the tune its name, at the Ashokan Field Campus of SUNY New Paltz (now the Ashokan Center) in Upstate New York.[1]

The tune was used as the title theme of the 1990 PBS television miniseries The Civil War.[2] Despite its late date of composition, it was included in the 1991 compilation album Songs of the Civil War.

I loved her in that sexy black outfit she wore as sandy in Grease - I can't tell you how many times I diddled myself looking at those pictures as a young teen in the late 70s! :p
That is interesting, I found that one and the silly stilettos which she used to crash a cigarette (before she sings, you are the one that I want) not attractive at all, but her first appearance with pony tails rather attractive (overlooking the age problem) here
. "summer nights", anyway "magic" is much much better... I mean with Gene Kelly, good Lord.... that is great!

That is interesting, I found that one and the silly stilettos which she used to crash a cigarette (before she sings, you are the one that I want) not attractive at all, but her first appearance with pony tails rather attractive (overlooking the age problem) here
. "summer nights", anyway "magic" is much much better... I mean with Gene Kelly, good Lord.... that is great!

Are you kidding - those "silly stilettos" as you call them are a huge turn-on!
Sure the ponytail look was pretty and cute too but that sexy look was just incredible!

Are you kidding - those "silly stilettos" as you call them are a huge turn-on!
Sure the ponytail look was pretty and cute too but that sexy look was just incredible!
Just think of the stilettos crushing not the cigarette but the unspeakable part of Danny aka Travolta... then that silly smile is gone for sure¨

fcc602624e9430ef430d559afcaf2a31.jpg (m=eaAaGwObaaaa)(mh=SBMoKyuWqi1Z8sdt)16.jpg

no no no... that could hurt!

Better looking at nice Olivia Newton-John

and Magic!!!!!

Here she looks sexy as hell!

Thought so too Barb, some ancient melody adapted by Burns and his production company. Not so.

The Ashokan Reservoir, located in Ulster County, New York, United States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ashokan_Farewell.ogg

"Ashokan Farewell" /əˈʃoʊˌkæn/ is a piece of music composed by the American folk musician Jay Ungar in 1982. For many years it served as a goodnight or farewell waltz at the annual Ashokan Fiddle & Dance Camps run by Ungar and his wife Molly Mason, who gave the tune its name, at the Ashokan Field Campus of SUNY New Paltz (now the Ashokan Center) in Upstate New York.[1]

The tune was used as the title theme of the 1990 PBS television miniseries The Civil War.[2] Despite its late date of composition, it was included in the 1991 compilation album Songs of the Civil War.

All the same, there must be a clue in Ulster County. If PrPr were still around, we'd have a lecture on the Ulster roots of American folk fiddle-playing!

All the same, there must be a clue in Ulster County. If PrPr were still around, we'd have a lecture on the Ulster roots of American folk fiddle-playing!
On a lighter note, it reminds me of the old British humourist and singer, Paddy Roberts, who back in the 70s and 80s would sometimes announce, "My next song is an old British folk song, I know it is an old British folk song, because I wrote it myself, last week."

On a lighter note, it reminds me of the old British humourist and singer, Paddy Roberts, who back in the 70s and 80s would sometimes announce, "My next song is an old British folk song, I know it is an old British folk song, because I wrote it myself, last week."
At the risk of derailing the thread still further.......

Paddy Roberts is someone I haven't thought of for ages. Here is an example of him performing a traditional English folk song

I seem to recall that she did an Aerobics style video to the song "Physical "....bet that was hawt....!! Lol.
Yeah but the outfit was so tight that it didn't hide those great legs, and her feet looked great in those sexy shoes :p

Back
Top Bottom