Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Forgive the esoteric ramblings of a former Physicist. When I was in college in the late sixties, pretending to learn
Physics, there was a great buzz around the community of new work being done on the weak force. To recap simply(?),

Newton first identified the gravitational force and it was systematized into modern field mathematics by Einstein in his General Theory of Relativity.
The Electromagnetic forces were similarly lain out by Ørsted (Danish). and Faraday (English) and systematized by the Scottish mathematician James Clerk Maxwell into a field theory.
A first theory of weak interaction was put forward in 1934 by the Italian physicist Fermi and came to represent the third field
A fourth field, the strong interaction keeps protons and neutrons together in the nucleus.
These four forces are universals that determine how the universe behaves. It was the dream of Einstein to come up with a "Unified Field Theory," that could explain the four forces with a single set of mathematics.

In 1979, the Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded to Professor Sheldon L. Glashow, Harvard University, USA, Professor Abdus Salam, International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Italy and Imperial College, Great Britain, and Professor Steven Weinberg, Harvard University, USA for their work in producing a theory, later confirmed by experiment, that unified the weak and the electromagnetic field theories. I can tell you that to the general scientific community in the late 60s that seemed impossible.

To illustrate the importance of the weak force (of which most have never heard) the specific strength of this force enables and regulates the speed of the thermonuclear fires in the center of the sun. If it were 10% weaker, the sun would never have ignited and earth would be a cold, icy planet. If it were 15% stronger, The sun would have burned a thousand times hotter, incinerated the earth, and burned out millions of years ago.

Salam. a Pakistani, died in 1996. Weinberg died this week at age 88. The passing of a genius.
One cannot overestimate how much our understanding of the universe has increased because of people like this. He wrote a book on gravity--general relativity--in 1972. General Relativity explains gravity as "curvature" in space and time caused by the presence of masses. So, one has to understand what makes a sphere different from a McDonald's burger frier. He had a problem from Tolkein giving distances between various places in the Middle Earth. The problem was, based on the distances, to discern whether the Middle Earth was "flat". Gravity was the one thing he couldn't fit into his "unification" of the other forces of nature.
So, he really was a polymath--interested in all kinds of things.
Here is the obituary from the New York Times.

Attachments

• Steven Weinberg, Groundbreaking Nobelist in Physics, Dies at 88 - The New York Times.pdf
    5.8 MB · Views: 16
Forgive the esoteric ramblings of a former Physicist. When I was in college in the late sixties, pretending to learn
Physics, there was a great buzz around the community of new work being done on the weak force. To recap simply(?),

Newton first identified the gravitational force and it was systematized into modern field mathematics by Einstein in his General Theory of Relativity.
The Electromagnetic forces were similarly lain out by Ørsted (Danish). and Faraday (English) and systematized by the Scottish mathematician James Clerk Maxwell into a field theory.
A first theory of weak interaction was put forward in 1934 by the Italian physicist Fermi and came to represent the third field
A fourth field, the strong interaction keeps protons and neutrons together in the nucleus.
These four forces are universals that determine how the universe behaves. It was the dream of Einstein to come up with a "Unified Field Theory," that could explain the four forces with a single set of mathematics.

In 1979, the Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded to Professor Sheldon L. Glashow, Harvard University, USA, Professor Abdus Salam, International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Italy and Imperial College, Great Britain, and Professor Steven Weinberg, Harvard University, USA for their work in producing a theory, later confirmed by experiment, that unified the weak and the electromagnetic field theories. I can tell you that to the general scientific community in the late 60s that seemed impossible.

To illustrate the importance of the weak force (of which most have never heard) the specific strength of this force enables and regulates the speed of the thermonuclear fires in the center of the sun. If it were 10% weaker, the sun would never have ignited and earth would be a cold, icy planet. If it were 15% stronger, The sun would have burned a thousand times hotter, incinerated the earth, and burned out millions of years ago.

Salam. a Pakistani, died in 1996. Weinberg died this week at age 88. The passing of a genius.
From the BBC about Salam. This goes a long way toward explaining Weinberg's antipathy toward religion.

Abdus Salam may be Pakistan's first and only Nobel prize winner for his work in theoretical physics, but he was an Ahmadi and his gravestone has been defaced to remove the word Muslim.

The Ahmadi movement identifies itself as Muslim and follows the teachings of the Koran, but it is regarded by orthodox Muslims as heretical - because of its interpretation of certain Koranic writings.

One of the most famous German cartoonists died already on July, 31st, only 55 years old, because of cancer: Martin Perscheid was well-known for his black humour and sometimes very "dark" cartoons, for example in the collection "Perscheids Abgründe" (= "Perscheid's Abysses"):

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.08.05_17h03m51s_011b_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2021.08.05_16h58m42s_003b_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2021.08.05_17h02m01s_008b_.jpg

Mhm, some religious persons might say that Perscheid's religious cartoons are possibly the reason for his early recall to heaven (hell?) because someone there needs him for the local newspapers in order to make the angels (devils?) laugh much more.

The text under the last cartoon in the posting before with the cross could also mean: "Job-specific accidents at work, today: the priest!"

But I also liked these ones:
Ashampoo_Snap_2021.08.05_17h11m15s_024.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2021.08.05_17h00m11s_005_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2021.08.05_17h06m31s_016_.jpg

"The Fall Guy" was one of the most successful TV program / serials in Germany during the late 1980's and almost everyone who lived in those times in Germany remembers its actors and its German translation title "Ein Colt für alle Fälle", derived from the German saying "Ein Mann für alle Fälle" (= "A Man for all Cases / Adventures of all Kinds").

So every actor from "The Fall Guy" was well known in Germany and it is sad to read that this woman died because of cancer:

Gerd Müller was probably really "the greatest forward ever" in German "Fußball" and it seems he was born only for this. In his later life, he had no luck in the small businesses he tried and not in private life, although he always was a friendly and modest/ humble man - maybe too friendly and too humble. He really was in danger to die as an alcoholic but "Fußball" and his fame in this sport saved him because his influential fans inside the club of Bayern München gave him a job as trainer in the second league and there he was relatively successful again. Some persons seem to be so extremely talented in only one special part of human life that they can do this perfect - and only this and nothing else - but this one special talent makes them "immortal" in history.

Martial arts film legend Sonny Chiba has died at age 82 from COVID complications. Despite his age, reports are that he had not been vaccinated.

Martial arts film legend Sonny Chiba has died at age 82 from COVID complications. Despite his age, reports are that he had not been vaccinated.
There are many reasons why he may have not been vaccinated. Not all parts of the world have such an effective vaccine rollout as we have here in the UK - America in particular lags far behind most of Europe in this respect (Not sure why because you'd expect the US to be leading the way but whatever) or he may have chosen not to have it for any number of reasons, perhaps his own views on the subject or possibly on doctors advice if his doctor thought there might be a problem with him having it. Any number of things really.

Needless to say the mainstream media is now trying to say he was a staunch anti-vaxxer which, although possible does seem unlikely as most of those Hollywood types are strongly pro-vax (although history has shown us that what they do and what they tell us to do are two VERY different things in most cases), and there are certainly a number of them that are motre than happy to stir the anti-vax pot on social media, so make of that what you will.

There are a lot of very sad people out there whose only goal in life is to try to tell everybosy else how to live their lives while their own are usually in shambles. These are the same people that just a few months ago were telling us that if we had the vaccine, we'd all turn into vampires - well I've had my two doses and I haven't turned into a vampire yet :)

Although saying that, there's a few members in here that I'd quite like to bite on the neck :D

Mhm?!? Already before my 2nd vaccination, I was always working at night because I am an outcast vampire, excommunicated from the SooV (= Society of organized Vampires) because of my mutated genes with strong blood phobia and unacceptable light tolerance.
:eek:
I did not remark any changes with my teeth but the side effects after the 2nd "Moderna" dosis were really hard. No joke: I woke up at 1 o'clock in the afternoon - which is probably like midnight for you mortals (!) - and I had really 38,5 ° Celsius fever and light chills. I could not go to work and slept the whole day and night after this vaccination, which was the hardest one in my life. Since then, I really ask myself what strange experiments my parents might have done with me before and after my birth.
:crybaby2:

News just in...
Don Everley,the surviving member of the Everley Brothers, a world famous Rock and Roll duo,has passed away at the age of 84 :(
(His brother Phil,died in 2014.)
Don Everley- Feb.1 1937 - Aug 21 2021
Phil Everley - Jan 19 1939 - Jan 3 2014
R.I.P...The Everley Brothers.
A-145071-1315493484.jpeg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom