Praefectus Praetorio: stories and tributes

Go to CruxDreams.com
This was one of my most treasured efforts here on CF, because I got to write in collaboration with @old slave . For that reason alone you should check this out!
How could he be so effusive over my poor, humble efforts? We had plans (at this stage on the back of a postage stamp) to bring the series to a satisfactory conclusion, but such a thing never happened.

Reading all the comments, he must have spent most of his waking life here on CF, with the number of members he PMed, as well as the threads he wrote. I hope we didn't overwork him? But he was always so cheerful and so willing to correspond!

I just have this nagging thought at the back of my brain, that I feel I must say. Maybe others have had it too. Why did he start this thread? Did @Jollyrei pay him a preliminary visit, with forthcoming news? Probably just my fantasy, but thank you Administrators for the collation, a fitting tribute indeed.

I'm very saddened by this news - both from the passing of a great writer and a good man, and because I will never have even the hypothetical chance to know and communicate with him more personally, as so many here have in life-enriching ways.

I admit, I read few of his stories - but those I did (Mainly the ones of hangings at Tyburn) were plentiful proof of his talent and dedication. And it seems he had some positive influence on many tales beyond his own, as well - a true pillar of the community, who will be sorely missed.

I just have this nagging thought at the back of my brain, that I feel I must say. Maybe others have had it too. Why did he start this thread? Did @Jollyrei pay him a preliminary visit, with forthcoming news? Probably just my fantasy, but thank you Administrators for the collation, a fitting tribute indeed.
A number of us started threads to collect our stories all in one place. I will claim credit for the idea which I lobbied for when the site was reorganized earlier this year. I have my solo stories and the collaborations with Barb collected on threads in this section. Eulalia had a few threads with hers.

I didn't do so out of any premonition, but rather because the story threads and archived volumes are in chronological order and finding any writer's stories requires some effort. It certainly is a fitting tribute to PrPr, though.

Last edited:
Sad news

Praefectus Praetorio communicated with both of us frequently, and told us a good deal about his 'real life' self. Becoming seriously concerned when he hadn't returned a couple of weeks after he'd said he'd be away from the Forums for a few days, Barb did some searching and found an obituary for a gentleman who died unexpectedly on 5th December, the day after we last heard from Pr Pr. Sadly, the information in that obituary was sufficient to leave us in no doubt whatever that it was our friend who has passed away.

He was a good man, highly intelligent and widely read, sincere and quietly passionate in his beliefs and principles, a lively, witty contributor to the life of Crux Forums, and his superbly written stories will be a treasured memorial to him here.

Barb and Eul

Casually browsing this thread, I discovered only now of @Praefectus Praetorio 's passing. I really don't know what to say, in particular about him, mostly because this relatively new form of interaction among people deprives us of several aspects of communication we all have been accustomed to during our evolutionary path.
So, too often, we come to know a person only from their artwork or comments, we like them and the suddenly they disappear.
I have enjoyed his contributions and his very evident intelligence and creativity. I will miss him. Please if you can extend my condolences to his family.

Like I also wrote in another thread when I learned of his departure: We're going to miss a great writer. I loved reading most of his stories and when I came here, he was really welcoming me and my writing efforts. The forum really has lost somebody meaningful.

Back
Top Bottom