The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
By the way: If you are interested in the consequences of the floodings in Germany and neighboring countries during the following days, I will continue to comment and show some more pictures in "my" thread about "German and Austrian culture ..." in the Forum "Fantasy unlimited":

And being a German loving to use long words, a warning before visiting that thread.
You should not be suffering from this psychological phobia:
I never thought Germans made up long words per se. I just thought they had an aversion to using the space bar, and strung words together. It has the same effect, though.

I try not to take any drugs so I have no first-hand experience. (Disclaimer: I own stock in Pfizer but this is off-patent and that part of Pfizer was recently spun off as "less profitable", but now I own stock in that too from the spin-off.) I assume you did it under "medical supervision". First, it can affect blood pressure dangerously (obviously not all the time and not in everyone). Second, I read that Hugh Hefner of Playboy fame used it until the end of his life (prodigiously, no pun intended). It supposedly affected his skin tone but more importantly left him deaf. He was close to 90 when he died, so it didn't affect life span.
One other thing about this is important. There are a lot of counterfeit pills. Not only the dose but the content may be off. A high dose of this drug in particular is dangerous, since it affects blood pressure, and if something else (like a stimulant) is added that would be worse. So, just grit your teeth and buy it from a regulated manufacturer, either Pfizer itself or "generic" drug manufacturer who has to follow regulatory guidelines. Since it is off patent it should be cheap enough. There are other drugs in this class, also off-patent. Lilly (in which I also own stock) has one. I hope you are getting a prescription from a doctor who will "check all the boxes". Good experience to you.

I never thought Germans made up long words per se. I just thought they had an aversion to using the space bar, and strung words together. It has the same effect, though.
Mhm, well, Germans and some Scandinavians have already made long words before "space bars" were invented. Sometimes, there were "words in poetic sounding combinations" which offered a new meaning which did not exist before this combination was made.

For example, I remember the really existing German word "Waldeinsamkeit".

"Wald" is "forest" and "Einsamkeit" is "loneliness", but the combination of both beautiful sounding words - at least for Germans like me - really means much, much, much more:

"The rather romantic experience of wandering alone in the forest and suddenly being overcome with the sense of a kind of wooden solitude and a deep melancholic feeling about the life, love, the universe and everything else." ! :)

This is the highest form of our German romantic madness at its very best, I think. ;):eek::rolleyes: :facepalm:
And this is also the reason why I cannot get enough from German word combinations or famous German-speaking persons like the great Austrian actor Christoph Waltz explaining exactly this to persons like Jimmy Fallon:

Mhm, well, Germans and some Scandinavians have already made long words before "space bars" were invented. Sometimes, there were "words in poetic sounding combinations" which offered a new meaning which did not exist before this combination was made.

"Wald" is "forest" and "Einsamkeit" is "loneliness", but the combination of both beautiful sounding words - at least for Germans like me - really means much, much, much more:

"The rather romantic experience of wandering alone in the forest and suddenly being overcome with the sense of a kind of wooden solitude and a deep melancholic feeling about the life, love, the universe and everything else." ! :)

This is the highest form of our German romantic madness at its very best, I think. ;):eek::rolleyes: :facepalm:
And this is also the reason why I cannot get enough from German word combinations or famous German-speaking persons like the great Austrian actor Christoph Waltz explaining exactly this to persons like Jimmy Fallon:

“Waldeinsamkeit” is indeed a beautiful word. And concept. I’m also a big fan of such James Joyce sesquipedalianisms as “scrotumtightening” :D

Talking of “Waldeinsamkeit” I was once living in Germany and reading any sci-fi I could get my hands on. There’s quite a fine novel by Ursula le Guin called “The Word for World is Forest”, a sort of eco-fable about the destruction of a densely forested planet and its indigenous inhabitants. The title was rendered into German (with marvellous alliteration) as “Das Wort für Welt ist Wald”

Yes, this title is almost a perfect Germanic "Stabreim" (=alliteration in form of a so-called "bar rhyme" = "Stab-Reim"). I remember also a funny German book by a professor for history with the title "War Karl der Kahle wirklich kahl?" (= Was Charles the Bald really bald?) in which he discusses in a very sarcastical kind if the additional names for historical persons were really founded on facts.
And he also mentions in a chapter about Vikings and their kings the fondness of Germanic and Scandinavic tribes for "Stabreim" (= "bar rhyme")-poetry, in which allegedly Vikings were celebrating their "heroic attacks" on other tribes and nations in a special "Germanic alliteration form of poetry". This professor quotes or invents in this book "Vikings' examples" which sounded so silly for me that I must laugh even today when I remember them:
"Wilde Wikinger windeten westwärts!" (= "Wild Vikings winched westward!" -> Ouch! )
And then:
"Spitze Speere schlitzten schlafende Schotten!" (= "Pointed spears slit sleeping Scotsmen!" -> Even more OUCH! )
:facepalm:

This is the highest form of our German romantic madness at its very best, I think.
This is perfect!

“The Word for World is Forest”, a sort of eco-fable about the destruction of a densely forested planet and its indigenous inhabitants. The title was rendered into German (with marvellous alliteration) as “Das Wort für Welt ist Wald”
The rare case where a straightforward literal translation massively improves a phrase! Though talented, creative translators will sometimes find less obvious ways to exploit the opportunities offered by different languages.
I remember that story, way back in my teenage years I got into into LeGuin after a series of science fiction classics was launched by the Heyne publishing house, that mad the genre a bit more accessible for someone like me ;)

German can be a wonderful language and I know two former students (a Polish and a French girl) from my university who once told me that they really loved to learn German because it is a rather slow spoken - almost philosophical language - and you often can think and search an easier word while speaking without being remarked at once as a foreigner.

(For example: When you are a native English-speaker and you do not want to be recognized immediately in Germany, do never say "Dankeschön!", because we Germans usually recognize the foreigner at once when he speaks the "ö" or by the length of the spoken "schön", but you can say "Vielen Dank!" and then, we do not hear a special German sound.)

But there is also a German sentence with combined German words which are also easily transformed into a word game when you separate them again.

This sentence is probably the truth in perfect purity and I have never heard a similar "philosophical-sophisticated" sentence in another language (-> Please prove me wrong, if you can! ;) ) :

"Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft."

(=> "Jealousy is a passion, that seeks with eagerness, what creates suffering." )

Before I forget it again: In the German sentence before you can also see why we Germans use the capitalization of nouns.

In German, it is sometimes difficult to see the difference between verbs and nouns, because we can easily "substantivate verbs to nouns" or in other words: We are making nouns out of verbs - and even out of adjectives - probably much easier than other nations in their languages.

Problematic examples:

Der Gefangene floh. (= The prisoner fled.)
Der gefangene Floh. (= The caught flea.)

Der Junge sieht dir ungeheuer ähnlich. (The boy looks "tremendously" similar to you. )
Der Junge sieht dir Ungeheuer ähnlich. (The boy looks like you monster / ogre are looking.)

Wir helfen kranken Vögeln. (We are helping sick birds.)
Wir helfen Kranken vögeln. ( We are helping ... hrm ... the sick to bang ... mhm ... or something similar ... )

So, you see, German can also be very difficult, especially for foreigners in Germany. An American soldier in Germany was said to have mixed the following words in a German pharmacy during the 1980's which made him famous for all Germans near the Air Base of Ramstein:

Instead of ...

"Kann ich hier eine Waage kaufen? Ich möchte etwas Kleines wiegen. (= Can I buy here a libra? I would like to weigh something small. )

... he said in fact:

"Kann ich hier eine Wiege kaufen? Ich möchte etwas Kleines wagen." (= Can I buy here a cradle? I would dare something small! )

Last edited:
Yes, our German language is sometimes difficult to understand for non-native speakers. And when I think of our dialects, which not even Germans from other areas can understand, I think that completely strangers can hardly understand it.
An example from my homeland:Hase (Rabbit) ist Hose
Hose (Trousers) ist Huse
Baum (Tree) ist Boom in manchen Dörfern aber auch Baom oder Baam
You can also tell where someone comes from, but even outside of the Thuringian wood country (Thüringer Holzland) no German will understand that, and then how should a complete stranger cope with it.

By the way,this is in a Candy store,in Minnesota... Does @Barbaria1 know anything about it ?? :eek:
(For God's sake,don't let her anywhere near it !!)
:p :p :devil:
View attachment 1035203
She's over there behind the fruit counter, just collecting a little shopping - must get a new passport photo done - ah, there's a cubicle over here, must be the place ... just get inside, sit in front of the screen ... this must be the button ...

Back
Top Bottom