The Women's Punishment

Go to CruxDreams.com

Idomeneus

Assistant executioner
Hi. So, I'm running on 2 weeks sleep deprivation and somehow this found its way on to my word processor. I have no idea if I'll continue it or if it's just a one off. I hope you all enjoy it either way.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

It was an overcast day in Hebron, 135 CE. The coffle of nude women wending its way up the hill was alternating between cold and sweaty. The there all bone tired anyway, and couldn’t wipe the sweat of their brows because their hands were bound behind their backs.

“Halt!” called the centurion. All ten women collapsed gratefully to the stony ground immediately.

It was a while before Hannah could take any interest in anything but the exhaustion and pain wracking her body, but after the fatigue receded a little she managed to look around. She froze, her breath knocked out of her body as surely as if one of the legionnaires had kicked her in the stomach, a sensation she was by now intimately familiar with.

She crawled on her knees to her best friend and co-wife and nudged her with an elbow. “Jessica!” she hissed, panic gripping her, “wake up! Look!”

Jessica was in arguably even worse shape than her. She wasn’t as meek, pleasing, and obedient as Jewish women were supposed to be in Roman opinion, and therefore she now sported a large wooden dowel shoved between her teeth and tied viciously tight behind her neck, as well as a large, purplish bruise covering the entire left side of her once-beautiful face. The bit had interfered with her breathing, making it harder for her to get the necessary oxygen during their coffled trip through the city and its outskirts, so she was even more dazed than Hannah had been up till now. Hearing the urgency in her co-wife’s voice, however, she shook her head adamantly, trying to clear it, and looked in the direction Hannah was using her chin to gesture at.

For a moment nothing really registered. Planks of wood littered the muddy ground. So what? She wondered muggily. Why should I care about some

The planks laying flat on the ground weren’t some random debris, she realized in horror. They were all comprised of a short beam nailed in a straight angle to a large beam, about two thirds of the way up.

Those were crosses. Jessica gave a quick look around. Now that she wasn’t focusing on solely on taking one shackled step after another before the slack ran out and getting enough air in the bargain, she realized that the top of the hill the coffle was now laying on was dotted with old crosses standing upright. She knew they were old because they still had body parts and bones nailed to them. One even had a crow still picking morsels of rotten flesh from one. Jessica could have sworn it looked at her knowingly before it cawed and flew off.

“Th-they’re not going to do that to us, are they?” Hannah was hyperventilating. “They only crucify the men! Women are taken as slaves!”

Jessica nodded numbly – it’s not as it she could give a coherent answer after all – and as far as she knew Hannah was right. Men, particularly captured warriors and leaders, were crucified to make a horrific warning from the Romans to the Jewish native of the land.

Don’t you dare think about revolting,” that statement was saying bluntly, “or you’d be begging for our spears to finish you off.”

But women weren’t supposed to be part of that game. They were always considered far too valuable to waste on public executions in some godforsaken province of the mighty Empire. No, they were to be secured in chains and taken to Rome or other large cities, there to be sold as slaves or perhaps be killed in some entertainingly grisly manner in public spectacles for the plebs to enjoy. Jessica has only heard of old women, usually prominent men’s mothers or wives, ever being crucified, and even that was exceedingly rare. Much easier and more efficient to gut an old hag where she stood rather than go through the effort of nailing her up. Jessica, Hannah and the rest of them were important men’s wives and daughters, true, but they were still young and nubile, and would be considered valuable slaves by the fleshmongers of Italy and Greece, she knew. They would bring many denarii displayed in a marketplace. Here they’d just be wasted as crow food.

And yet… she had wondered. Things didn’t make sense for a while now. The revolt had been crushed weeks ago. Bar Kochba was long dead and so were the rest of the Jewish leaders. The country – what remained of it after the Roman legions were done pillaging and burning, anyway – was systematically being emptied of its ancient people. Thousands, maybe tens of thousands of the surviving Jews were loaded on ships and shipped away as slave, to Antioch, Ostia, Cyrene and Carthage. Probably even as far as Narbo.

Except for them. They stayed languishing in dungeons, chained to the walls and occasionally raped by bored garrison soldiers. It made no sense!

Unless…

Unless they were never going to sell us as slaves, some horrible voice whispered in her mind’s ear. Unless this is what they had in store for us all along.

Jessica looked upon the wet, ugly wooden crosses lying in the earth and knew the terrible truth. They were about to join their husbands and fathers and sons in God’s afterlife. They were about to be crucified.

Well, I finally managed to catch up on my sleep and I do have some ideas on where to take this, so I'm going to keep this going for now and hopefully it wouldn't suck too badly.

By the way, is there an edit function I'm missing? Because I've went through this first post and there are some errors that are making me cringe.

Well, I finally managed to catch up on my sleep and I do have some ideas on where to take this, so I'm going to keep this going for now and hopefully it wouldn't suck too badly.
Best of luck with your story!
By the way, is there an edit function I'm missing? Because I've went through this first post and there are some errors that are making me cringe.
There's an edit window, not sure how long it is -- an hour, perhaps. Otherwise the poster has to ask the moderators to make the necessary edits.

Hi. So, I'm running on 2 weeks sleep deprivation and somehow this found its way on to my word processor. I have no idea if I'll continue it or if it's just a one off. I hope you all enjoy it either way.

nice start … keep writing
There's an edit window, not sure how long it is -- an hour, perhaps. Otherwise the poster has to ask the moderators to make the necessary edits.

Yes, one can request help from a moderator.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

It was an overcast day in Hebron, 135 CE. The coffle of nude women wending its way up the hill was alternating between cold and sweaty. The there all bone tired anyway, and couldn’t wipe the sweat of their brows because their hands were bound behind their backs.

“Halt!” called the centurion. All ten women collapsed gratefully to the stony ground immediately.

It was a while before Hannah could take any interest in anything but the exhaustion and pain wracking her body, but after the fatigue receded a little she managed to look around. She froze, her breath knocked out of her body as surely as if one of the legionnaires had kicked her in the stomach, a sensation she was by now intimately familiar with.

She crawled on her knees to her best friend and co-wife and nudged her with an elbow. “Jessica!” she hissed, panic gripping her, “wake up! Look!”

Jessica was in arguably even worse shape than her. She wasn’t as meek, pleasing, and obedient as Jewish women were supposed to be in Roman opinion, and therefore she now sported a large wooden dowel shoved between her teeth and tied viciously tight behind her neck, as well as a large, purplish bruise covering the entire left side of her once-beautiful face. The bit had interfered with her breathing, making it harder for her to get the necessary oxygen during their coffled trip through the city and its outskirts, so she was even more dazed than Hannah had been up till now. Hearing the urgency in her co-wife’s voice, however, she shook her head adamantly, trying to clear it, and looked in the direction Hannah was using her chin to gesture at.

For a moment nothing really registered. Planks of wood littered the muddy ground. So what? She wondered muggily. Why should I care about some

The planks laying flat on the ground weren’t some random debris, she realized in horror. They were all comprised of a short beam nailed in a straight angle to a large beam, about two thirds of the way up.

Those were crosses. Jessica gave a quick look around. Now that she wasn’t focusing on solely on taking one shackled step after another before the slack ran out and getting enough air in the bargain, she realized that the top of the hill the coffle was now laying on was dotted with old crosses standing upright. She knew they were old because they still had body parts and bones nailed to them. One even had a crow still picking morsels of rotten flesh from one. Jessica could have sworn it looked at her knowingly before it cawed and flew off.

“Th-they’re not going to do that to us, are they?” Hannah was hyperventilating. “They only crucify the men! Women are taken as slaves!”

Jessica nodded numbly – it’s not as it she could give a coherent answer after all – and as far as she knew Hannah was right. Men, particularly captured warriors and leaders, were crucified to make a horrific warning from the Romans to the Jewish native of the land.

Don’t you dare think about revolting,” that statement was saying bluntly, “or you’d be begging for our spears to finish you off.”

But women weren’t supposed to be part of that game. They were always considered far too valuable to waste on public executions in some godforsaken province of the mighty Empire. No, they were to be secured in chains and taken to Rome or other large cities, there to be sold as slaves or perhaps be killed in some entertainingly grisly manner in public spectacles for the plebs to enjoy. Jessica has only heard of old women, usually prominent men’s mothers or wives, ever being crucified, and even that was exceedingly rare. Much easier and more efficient to gut an old hag where she stood rather than go through the effort of nailing her up. Jessica, Hannah and the rest of them were important men’s wives and daughters, true, but they were still young and nubile, and would be considered valuable slaves by the fleshmongers of Italy and Greece, she knew. They would bring many denarii displayed in a marketplace. Here they’d just be wasted as crow food.

And yet… she had wondered. Things didn’t make sense for a while now. The revolt had been crushed weeks ago. Bar Kochba was long dead and so were the rest of the Jewish leaders. The country – what remained of it after the Roman legions were done pillaging and burning, anyway – was systematically being emptied of its ancient people. Thousands, maybe tens of thousands of the surviving Jews were loaded on ships and shipped away as slave, to Antioch, Ostia, Cyrene and Carthage. Probably even as far as Narbo.

Except for them. They stayed languishing in dungeons, chained to the walls and occasionally raped by bored garrison soldiers. It made no sense!

Unless…

Unless they were never going to sell us as slaves, some horrible voice whispered in her mind’s ear. Unless this is what they had in store for us all along.

Jessica looked upon the wet, ugly wooden crosses lying in the earth and knew the terrible truth. They were about to join their husbands and fathers and sons in God’s afterlife. They were about to be crucified.
I love how you manage to make this story absolutely thrilling.

Quick note - following the conventions set up in many TV shows and movies, I'm deliberately giving the Romans an English speech pattern, in this care a lower class one in order to signify their humble origins as well as demonstrating that they are foreigners to the land. I'm also using the Anglicized versions of the women's various names instead of the Hebrew originals to make them sound more familiar to readers. However, I can use the Hebrew originals just as easily, so I'm curious which ones the you guys prefer.

Anyway, on with the show!

One of the legionnaires was moving in their direction. “Up, sluts!” He barked. The exhausted, shackled women struggled to their feet, not an easy task to accomplish when one’s feet are chained together, her hands are bound her behind her back, and not two meters of chain separates her from her sisters. Most of the soldiers stayed back and enjoyed the show, but the one who approached them seemed to want to get whatever it was he wanted done already, so he motivated them using a short “women’s whip” - a flogger shorter than the one commonly used on men and less prone to tearing flesh off, but just as painful to the kiss.

After some maneuvering and using each other for support, the bedraggled column of female prisoners managed to get itself upright at last. By now awareness of the crosses became widespread, and Jessica saw two women she knew from the ergastula – Batsheba and Deborah – break down in tears until they were flogged back to silence.
The soldier – Jessica thought he may have been a minor officer from the markings on his cuirass, maybe a decurion? – had them lined up facing him and the rest of the squad some way behind him, and actually deigned to offer an explanation to the terrified, naked women, for reasons known only to himself. Maybe he just enjoyed telling women that they were doomed.

“That’s right, cunts, your eyes aren’t lyin’ to you.” Evidently not an educated man, he was speaking in bad Greek, as most of the Romans never bothered learning any Aramaic. “You’re all about to be nailed up proper like your menfolk were a few months back. Some of you ‘re probably wondrin’ why. Well. Emperor Hadrian, may all the gods bless 'is reign, got mightily sick of you people keepin' fightin’ and not acceptin’ our lawful rule of this province. I mean, this is what – the third time in livin’ memory we’ve ‘ad to come ‘ere and sort this place out for you lot? You Jews can’t seem to take the hint, so the Emperor, gods bless ‘im, decided to solve the issue one and for all. All the Jews who are still alive and ‘aven’t ‘ad the brains to get out by now are being shipped out as slaves to rest of the Empire, your precious Jerusalem is to be consecrated to Jove and renamed Aelia Capitolina, and the province itself is to be renamed Syria Palaestina. I’m told that’s because you Jews had some enemies back in the day called Philistines or some such. The point is, them was proper Greeks, not barbarian scum like you. Judea doesn’t exist as of today; this whole place is just another province, and Jews got nothing to do with it anymore. And you, as the last part of the rebel leadership, are being saved for last. The final, as it were, nail in the coffin.” That last witticism seemed to really amuse him.

The first order of the day was to get the crosses lined up. For that reason the women were given the freedom of their hands again – for the final time in their short lives – though they were still fettered at ankles and to each other by their necks. Their jobs were to arrange the crosses in a flat line across the top of the hill, to make it easier for the legionnaires to raise them up later when they would be carrying their screaming female loads. Now Jessica understood why they hadn’t been made to carry the damned things up the hill by themselves as was usually the custom: there were simply not enough civilians left alive in Hebron to be duly impressed by the sight, and the weight and prolonged effort would have probably killed many of the women right then and there, instead of prolonging their agonies, as was the intention.

The nails and hammers were stacked in plain sight as they were working. Jessica tried not to look at them. She did find the courage to grunt and signal to the decurion in the direction of her bit gag. The officer pretended not to understand, until Hannah intervened on her behalf. Going on her knees in the mud before the soldier, first kissing his sandaled feet in subjugation, then speaking submissively with her head lowered.

“Please, honored Dominus, my sister-wife would be able to work better for you soldiers if she were to be allowed to breathe properly and take in some water.”

The decurion scowled. He obviously rather enjoyed the sight of the mouthy Jessica, who unlike most of the other women in the ergastula had never quite mastered the trick of flattering Roman ego, being silenced and punished with the thick bit and drooling helplessly over her large breasts. But he conceded to reason. Probably realising that I won’t scream as prettily if I’m still gagged when I’m nailed. He nudged Hannah to the mud with his foot, then removed a dagger from his belt – Jessica couldn’t help but flinch – and sawed through the rough leather cords holding the bit behind her head.

Jessica immediately spat it out and dry-wretched, but before she was even done, the decurion grabbed her by her long, dark hair and placed his rough, ugly white face right next to hers. “You’ll be a good girl now, won’t you?” Jessica nodded, terrified and hurting. “Good cunt. Because next time you mouth off, I’m not gonna bother gagging you. No point. You can breathe, drink, and scream just as well with your tongue cut off.

Jessica believed him. Romans weren’t given to idle threats.

Last edited:
Quick note - following the conventions set up in many TV shows and movies, I'm deliberately giving the Romans an English speech pattern, in this care a lower class one in order to signify their humble origins as well as demonstrating that they are foreigners to the land. I'm also using the Anglicized versions of the women's various names instead of the Hebrew originals to make them sound more familiar to readers. However, I can use the Hebrew originals just as easily, so I'm curious which ones the you guys prefer.
I'd go with the Anglicized names. I must confess I've been working intermittently at a crux story set in AD 135 Hebron -- yes, coincidences do exist, but Idomeneus' thread has served as an inspiration along with the texts by @Abendlaender -- where I mostly follow the multi-volume Lexicon of Jewish Names in Late Antiquity. Its author uses 'Joseph' and 'Judah' alongside 'Yohanan' and 'Yair' without much concern. :)

One of the legionnaires was moving in their direction. “Up, sluts!” He barked. The exhausted, shackled women struggled to their feet, not an easy task to accomplish when one’s feet are chained together, her hands are bound her behind her back, and not two meters of chain separates her from her sisters. Most of the soldiers stayed back and enjoyed the show, but the one who approached them seemed to want to get whatever it was he wanted done already, so he motivated them using a short “women’s whip” - a flogger shorter than the one commonly used on men and less prone to tearing flesh off, but just as painful to the kiss.

After some maneuvering and using each other for support, the bedraggled column of female prisoners managed to get itself upright at last. By now awareness of the crosses became widespread, and Jessica saw two women she knew from the ergastula – Batsheba and Deborah – break down in tears until they were flogged back to silence.
The soldier – Jessica thought he may have been a minor officer from the markings on his cuirass, maybe a decurion? – had them lined up facing him and the rest of the squad some way behind him, and actually deigned to offer an explanation to the terrified, naked women, for reasons known only to himself. Maybe he just enjoyed telling women that they were doomed.

“That’s right, cunts, your eyes aren’t lyin’ to you.” Evidently not an educated man, he was speaking in bad Greek, as most of the Romans never bothered learning any Aramaic. “You’re all about to be nailed up proper like your menfolk were a few months back. Some of you ‘re probably wondrin’ why. Well. Emperor Hadrian, may all the gods bless 'is reign, got mightily sick of you people keepin' fightin’ and not acceptin’ our lawful rule of this province. I mean, this is what – the third time in livin’ memory we’ve ‘ad to come ‘ere and sort this place out for you lot? You Jews can’t seem to take the hint, so the Emperor, gods bless ‘im, decided to solve the issue one and for all. All the Jews who are still alive and ‘aven’t ‘ad the brains to get out by now are being shipped out as slaves to rest of the Empire, your precious Jerusalem is to be consecrated to Jove and renamed Aelia Capitolina, and the province itself is to be renamed Syria Palaestina. I’m told that’s because you Jews had some enemies back in the day called Philistines or some such. The point is, them was proper Greeks, not barbarian scum like you. Judea doesn’t exist as of today; this whole place is just another province, and Jews got nothing to do with it anymore. And you, as the last part of the rebel leadership, are being saved for last. The final, as it were, nail in the coffin.” That last witticism seemed to really amuse him.

The first order of the day was to get the crosses lined up. For that reason the women were given the freedom of their hands again – for the final time in their short lives – though they were still fettered at ankles and to each other by their necks. Their jobs were to arrange the crosses in a flat line across the top of the hill, to make it easier for the legionnaires to raise them up later when they would be carrying their screaming female loads. Now Jessica understood why they hadn’t been made to carry the damned things up the hill by themselves as was usually the custom: there were simply not enough civilians left alive in Hebron to be duly impressed by the sight, and the weight and prolonged effort would have probably killed many of the women right then and there, instead of prolonging their agonies, as was the intention.

The nails and hammers were stacked in plain sight as they were working. Jessica tried not to look at them. She did find the courage to grunt and signal to the decurion in the direction of her bit gag. The officer pretended not to understand, until Hannah intervened on her behalf. Going on her knees in the mud before the soldier, first kissing his sandaled feet in subjugation, then speaking submissively with her head lowered.

“Please, honored Dominus, my sister-wife would be able to work better for you soldiers if she were to be allowed to breathe properly and take in some water.”

The decurion scowled. He obviously rather enjoyed the sight of the mouthy Jessica, who unlike most of the other women in the ergastula had never quite mastered the trick of flattering Roman ego, being silenced and punished with the thick bit and drooling helplessly over her large breasts. But he conceded to reason. Probably realising that I won’t scream as prettily if I’m still gagged when I’m nailed. He nudged Hannah to the mud with his foot, then removed a dagger from his belt – Jessica couldn’t help but flinch – and sawed through the rough leather cords holding the bit behind her head.

Jessica immediately spat it out and dry-wretched, but before she was even done, the decurion grabbed her by her long, dark hair and placed his rough, ugly white face right next to hers. “You’ll be a good girl now, won’t you?” Jessica nodded, terrified and hurting. “Good cunt. Because next time you mouth off, I’m not gonna bother gagging you. No point. You can breathe, drink, and scream just as well with your tongue cut off.

Very good! I like the use of the muzzle -- an underutilized detail of Roman capital punishment, apparently they hated the idea of the condemned badmouthing Caesar etc.

I act
I'd go with the Anglicized names. I must confess I've been working intermittently at a crux story set in AD 135 Hebron -- yes, coincidences do exist, but Idomeneus' thread has served as an inspiration along with the texts by @Abendlaender -- where I mostly follow the multi-volume Lexicon of Jewish Names in Late Antiquity. Its author uses 'Joseph' and 'Judah' alongside 'Yohanan' and 'Yair' without much concern. :)

Very good! I like the use of the muzzle -- an underutilized detail of Roman capital punishment, apparently they hated the idea of the condemned badmouthing Caesar etc.
I actually had no idea Romans used gags of any kinds, though as a massive slave society it made sense they have more than a passing familiarity with the item.. I know more about their uses of torture, but if you know anything about their uses of shackles, coffles, blindfolds, and gags - muzzles or otherwise - I'd love to know about it.

we really like the story! please continue!

your story is also an inspiration for my 3d story (I can't write stories, so I started reading different stories from different authors to learn.

Thanks.

I act

I actually had no idea Romans used gags of any kinds, though as a massive slave society it made sense they have more than a passing familiarity with the item.. I know more about their uses of torture, but if you know anything about their uses of shackles, coffles, blindfolds, and gags - muzzles or otherwise - I'd love to know about it.
they used gags, but it wasn't necessary in the crucifixion...

the victim screamed during the nailing, but as soon as the cross was erected, the victim instead of screaming, rather fought for air in his lungs.

that was the cruelest thing about crucifixion, the victim didn't die of poisoning or blood loss...she died of suffocation.and a gag would only hasten it.

but the Romans were masters in this execution, they invented different ways to prolong the execution, so that the victim would suffer more and longer.

I act

They certainly used gags in court, e.g.

R. Jeremiah b. Eleazar said... In human relationship when a man is sentenced to death by the government a hook is inserted into his mouth in order that he might not curse the king.

I think Lieberman, S. (1944). 'Roman Legal Institutions in Early Rabbinics and in the Acta Martyrum', The Jewish Quarterly Review, 35(1), 1-57 is the most thorough treatment of the Roman hook-gag. I've attached the PDF.

Attachments

• lieberman1944.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 134

It’s backbreaking work. Jessica suspects this would be difficult even for a man. For a housewife like her, starving and weak from torture and rape, it’s almost impossible. A legionnaire encourages the women with a vicious whip however, to the laughter of his comrades, and he is very generous with its use. As usual it proves very effective in motivating the prisoners, and in less time than Jessica would have credited it, the crosses are neatly and beautifully lined up. Jessica is almost proud.

Rain is pouring on the naked women. Ugly, cold weather. Jessica shudders and welcomes Hannah’s reflexive embrace. They try to take warmth and comfort from each other, naked breasts rubbing together as they press their flesh against each other. They have done this countless times in prison and neither of them feels shame any longer, though the Romans are hooting at them. Then the decurion grabs the coffle chain and leads them away. Jessica reluctantly lets go of her sister-wife (she knows they are now widows, but she can’t think of Hannah any other way). A short, safe distance away from the crosses but in full view of them, the Roman soldier hammers the end of the chain through a spike into the wet, packed earth. He barks at the women to kneels and then another legionnaire does the same with the other end, keeping the chain taut so the women are forced to stay on their knees and separate from each other. He moves quickly behind the captives and binds their hands and feet with cords, slapping the hands and kicking the buttocks of any woman not quick enough to position herself for binding, or just when it amuses him. Jessica is genuinely puzzled as to why he even bothers, though. She can’t even stand up. Regulations, probably, or perhaps it is the simple masculine joy of binding naked, helpless women. It is not for her to question.

Deborah is the first to go. The legionnaire unchains her from the coffle and leads her to the first of the crosses. Besides Jessica, Hannah gasps and in pain and terror. Deborah seems resigned, though. Perhaps she’s thinking of the next life and hoping to see her husband and sons there.

After she is unbound she is bidden to lie down on the cross and obeys. Another legionnaire holds her down while the first one, all business, is kneeling on her outstretched arm with a nail and hammer ready. Jessica closes her eyes. She is supposed to watch, but she can’t bear to. Deborah screams. Then the whips stings her back viciously and she’s forced to open her eyes again. Deborah is struggling like mad, almost knocking the legionnaire back. He laughs good-naturedly about it, slaps Deborah hard on the face, and says something in an impressed tone of voice in Latin to the rest of the lads. They bray in laughter in response.

Now that the legionnaire stood up and move to the other side, Jessica can’t look away from Deborah’s arm. The nail went right through her wrist, jutting obscenely from her flesh and making her one with the cross beneath her. Deborah is still screaming and weeping. No words are spoken. Jessica hears Hannah praying beside her, but she’s too fascinated to do so herself.

The soldier has trouble with the next arm. Knowing what’s coming, Deborah isn’t willing to surrender the second wrist so meekly. Eventually he tires of it and kneels right on her throat. Deborah kicks and buckles for a few moments, horribly silent. Eventually the lack of air makes her weaker and when she stops, the legionnaire stands up and places her arm on the other side of the cross while she coughs and wheezes. The muffled sounds of the hammer are oddly weak. Something so momentous should crack like thunder, Jessica thinks, but it’s relatively subdued. Still, in the anticipatory silence of the hill, it carries very well indeed, with nothing but Debora’s agonized shrieks to interrupt it. When it’s done she looks from side to side as is she can’t quite believe what’s happening to her is real.

Jessica hears a soft moan and tears her eyes away. One of the women’s bladder had released as she was watching the slow death that was being prepared for her.

She can’t quite blame her for it.

Back
Top Bottom