trouble logging in?

Go to CruxDreams.com
It's definitely blocked by this site. If it was blocked elsewhere, I wouldn't even be able to connect to the site at all. The fact that I can connect, yet I get a "Your IP address has been banned" message - originating from this site (see below) - means that it is 100% being blocked by cruxforums and not by a third party;

View attachment 1274151
I'm only guessing but I suspect that VPNs are at the heart of the problem. As Eulalia said they are very much used by spammers, especially free ones. As a consequence many IP addresses dished out will over time go to several different people. CF has built in antispam software so many of those IPs will have been banned which means that if SpammerA, MemberB and MemberC have been using the same IP then they would not be allowed access. Which VPNs are people using?

I'm only guessing but I suspect that VPNs are at the heart of the problem. As Eulalia said they are very much used by spammers, especially free ones. As a consequence many IP addresses dished out will over time go to several different people. CF has built in antispam software so many of those IPs will have been banned which means that if SpammerA, MemberB and MemberC have been using the same IP then they would not be allowed access. Which VPNs are people using?
That with the IP addresses would be possible. My login problems went away when I clicked "reconnect" on my router. The router then re-establishes the connection and assigns me a new IP. However, I cannot influence which IP address is assigned to our connection.

I'm using the one built-in to Opera. If I use the Americas or Asia options then it works fine, but if I use the Europe setting, it's banned.

The IP that Opera is showing me for the Europe setting is 77.111.247.64 I'm not sure if that's just the IP that I see or the one that cruxforums sees, but that's how it appears in the Opera VPN control panel.

And yes, I just tried it again and it's still giving me the banned message. Not a problem as I have workarounds but it's weird that the American and Asian VPNs are still working

Opera is giving me 77.111.245.xx for America, 77.111.246.xx for Asia and 77.111.247.xx for Europe, so it appears as though the 247.xx IP range is being blocked in its entirety (presumably from 247.0 to 247.255)

Last edited:
I'm using the one built-in to Opera. If I use the Americas or Asia options then it works fine, but if I use the Europe setting, it's banned.

The IP that Opera is showing me for the Europe setting is 77.111.247.64 I'm not sure if that's just the IP that I see or the one that cruxforums sees, but that's how it appears in the Opera VPN control panel.

And yes, I just tried it again and it's still giving me the banned message. Not a problem as I have workarounds but it's weird that the American and Asian VPNs are still working

Opera is giving me 77.111.245.xx for America, 77.111.246.xx for Asia and 77.111.247.xx for Europe, so it appears as though the 247.xx IP range is being blocked in its entirety (presumably from 247.0 to 247.255)
I think that is getting close to what is happening. Thank you for the data. Can anyone else provide specific information? No member of the Admin can alter the computer to change things but if we can pin the problem down then we can present the info to IM. He may or may not be able to change things.

I think I might have found and put right the source of that problem.
Please try it again now, DP - and @malins .
If it's cured, I'll feel a bit chuffed that I've cracked an IT issue -
but not so smug as it was probably my fault that it was happening.

Last edited:
I have a vague memory that Eulalia set a ban on IPs beginning 77.111.247…some while ago in response to an influx of spammers.

The American
Yes it works now!
Thanks Eul :)

Just heard from Eulalia that such a "wildcard" ban was imposed on spammers back in 2019! She has now removed that ban from the system so please do let us know if it worked.
Yes it works fine now, thanks again to everybody who helped sort this out. Ultimately, if the spammers come back, you can easily reinstate the block, but for now it's working great again, and of course because the European VPN is more local to me, the speed is significantl;y better than using the America or Asia ones.

Thanks again :)

"Hi, I'm only restricted to access, from here or outside, to the page "what's new"....."

Just to say, always blocked and I don't use any VPN nor pop-up blocker.
That's a weird problem :( Have you tried clearing the cache and cookies or maybe try a different browser if that's an option. If you can access the site at all, you should be able to see all the pages unless there's something really stange going on (some sort of content filtering maybe?)

That's a weird problem :( Have you tried clearing the cache and cookies or maybe try a different browser if that's an option. If you can access the site at all, you should be able to see all the pages unless there's something really stange going on (some sort of content filtering maybe?)
gerembeau seems to be quoting somebody but I don't know who. gerembeau also does have access to the site. He posted 3 pics this morning.

It sometimes happens (no relationship with general access problems to the site, but under 'normal' circumstances), that I can only access to the site through 'What's new'. I then even better search 'Cruxforums new' instead of by simply 'cruxforums', to have the acces link shown up in the list.:icon_pc:

Yes it works fine now, thanks again to everybody who helped sort this out. Ultimately, if the spammers come back, you can easily reinstate the block, but for now it's working great again, and of course because the European VPN is more local to me, the speed is significantl;y better than using the America or Asia ones.

Thanks again :)
Yes, back in 2019 Tor and VPN registrations were a fairly new problem for us, and sometimes it became obvious that determined spammers were using not just one but multiple 'anonymised' IPs, so blocking out a shared prefix was a blunt but effective way of dealing with them. It's interesting that it's taken this long for legit members to notice, but maybe I should have thought to undo it. I don't think it's likely to happen again.

Yes, back in 2019 Tor and VPN registrations were a fairly new problem for us, and sometimes it became obvious that determined spammers were using not just one but multiple 'anonymised' IPs, so blocking out a shared prefix was a blunt but effective way of dealing with them. It's interesting that it's taken this long for legit members to notice, but maybe I should have thought to undo it. I don't think it's likely to happen again.
Well I only noticed the issue after I lost access to the site the other day when everybody else started having trouble, so I started trying the VPN and found that I was able to access the site with no issues as long as I wasn't using the European one. Still no idea what caused the initial outage though, as it didn't affect the VPNs that hadn't been blocked

Back
Top Bottom