Uplifting Thoughts for the Isolated and Depressed in Times of Plague

Go to CruxDreams.com
Since I first hear the Dixie cups first record Jock-o-Mo (the Iko Iko song) in 1965, hearing it has uplifted my spirits
I especially appreciated the verse written about me:
"See that guy all dressed in green? I-KO, I-KO, un-day.
He's not a man, he's a lov-in' ma-chine
Jock-a mo fee na-né"
In 1989, I saw the Grateful Dead perform it in my native Philadelphia.
I've always loved Natasha Engish's version (though it is strange that born in Glasgow, she took the name English - @Eulalia ?) Combining Mardi Gras with Alice in Wonderland (love how she spreads her legs on the tea table)
Phrases: Jock o Mo is Cajan "Indian" war chant for going into 'battle" - it can also be translated as "kiss my ass."
Iko Iko is a victory chant.
However, the original 'writer' was Sugar Boy Crawford in 1953.

The refrain is:
Hey now ! Hey now !
I-ko, I-ko, un-day
Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-né,
jock-a-mo fee na-né

An uncertain attempt to trace back to Louisiana Creole French:
Ena! Ena!
Akout, akout, an déyè
Chaque amour fi nou wa na né
Chaque amour fi na né

Retranslated into standard English:
Hey now! Hey now!
Listen, listen at the back
All our love made our king be born
All our love made it happen.

I came across this and it made me think:

Image may contain: one or more people and people sitting

An old man meets a young man who asks:
“Do you remember me?”
And the old man says no. Then the young man tells him he was his student, And the teacher asks:
“What do you do, what do you do in life?”
The young man answers:
“Well, I became a teacher.”
“ah, how good, like me?” Asks the old man.
“Well, yes. In fact, I became a teacher because you inspired me to be like you.”
The old man, curious, asks the young man at what time he decided to become a teacher. And the young man tells him the following story:
“One day, a friend of mine, also a student, came in with a nice new watch, and I decided I wanted it.
I stole it, I took it out of his pocket.
Shortly after, my friend noticed the his watch was missing and immediately complained to our teacher, who was you.
Then you addressed the class saying, ‘This student's watch was stolen during classes today. Whoever stole it, please return it.’
I didn't give it back because I didn't want to.
You closed the door and told us all to stand up and form a circle.
You were going to search our pockets one by one until the watch was found.
However, you told us to close our eyes, because you would only look for his watch if we all had our eyes closed.
We did as instructed.
You went from pocket to pocket, and when you went through my pocket, you found the watch and took it. You kept searching everyone's pockets, and when you were done you said ‘open your eyes. We have the watch.’
You didn't tell on me and you never mentioned the episode. You never said who stole the watch either. That day you saved my dignity forever. It was the most shameful day of my life.
But this is also the day I decided not to become a thief, a bad person, etc. You never said anything, nor did you even scold me or take me aside to give me a moral lesson.
I received your message clearly.
Thanks to you, I understood what a real educator needs to do.
Do you remember this episode, professor?"
The old professor answered, "Yes, I remember the situation with the stolen watch, which I was looking for in everyone’s pocket. I didn't remember you, because I also closed my eyes while looking."
This is the essence of teaching:
If to correct you must humiliate, you don't know how to teach.

“Do you remember me?”
And the old man says no. Then the young man tells him he was his student, And the teacher asks:
The young man answers:
“Well, yes. In fact, I became a teacher because you inspired me to be like you.”
The old man, curious, asks the young man at what time he decided to become a teacher. And the young man tells him the following story:
“One day, a friend of mine, also a student, came in with a nice new watch, and I decided I wanted it.
Shortly after, my friend noticed the his watch was missing and immediately complained to our teacher, who was you.
Then you addressed the class saying, ‘This student's watch was stolen during classes today. Whoever stole it, please return it.’
However, you told us to close our eyes, because you would only look for his watch if we all had our eyes closed.
We did as instructed.
You went from pocket to pocket, and when you went through my pocket, you found the watch and took it. You kept searching everyone's pockets, and when you were done you said ‘open your eyes. We have the watch.’
You didn't tell on me and you never mentioned the episode. You never said who stole the watch either. That day you saved my dignity forever. It was the most shameful day of my life.
But this is also the day I decided not to become a thief, a bad person, etc. You never said anything, nor did you even scold me or take me aside to give me a moral lesson.
The old professor answered, "Yes, I remember the situation with the stolen watch, which I was looking for in everyone’s pocket. I didn't remember you, because I also closed my eyes while looking."
Loved this! Thanks so much for posting it.

“Do you remember me?”
The young man answers:
We did as instructed.

Great story. BTW, my Mom was a teacher.

Incredible serenity and harmony in this work of Rameau from his late opera Les Boréades, based on ancient Greek mythology.

Jean-Philippe Rameau - Les Boréades / Act 4 - Entrée de Polymnie

Piano transription by Vikingur Olafsson
A rather different - but I think exciting - take on Rameau

Since I first hear the Dixie cups first record Jock-o-Mo (the Iko Iko song) in 1965, hearing it has uplifted my spirits

Though the original version didn't have it, I couldn't help noticing the latter versions have the distinctive Bo Diddley style riff. Of course, nobody does that riff as well as Bo himself, as demonstrated here. And check out these dancing gals, P! :p

Back
Top Bottom