Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
English is the world language. Not the prettiest but a common tounge is a good thing.

950 years today was the Battle of Hastings, when the Norman French William defeated the Anglo Saxon Harold and founded the modern England, and with it the strange mix that is the English language. He imposed his Latin/Old French language on the existing Celtic, Pictic, Viking, and Germanic heritages. Add in more recent influence of Arabic, Asian, Yiddish and Techno-speak, and we get a tongue which is certainly not pretty.

950 years today was the Battle of Hastings, when the Norman French William defeated the Anglo Saxon Harold and founded the modern England, and with it the strange mix that is the English language. He imposed his Latin/Old French language on the existing Celtic, Pictic, Viking, and Germanic heritages. Add in more recent influence of Arabic, Asian, Yiddish and Techno-speak, and we get a tongue which is certainly not pretty.

All languages evolve and adapt words from other languages. The only possible exception would be something really unique, like the click languages of the Kalahari desert. Some linguists think those are the closest modern languages to that spoken by the original Homo sapiens, back when there were only a few thousand of them.

You've got a lotta nerve to say you are my friend
When I was down you just stood there grinnin'
You've got a lotta nerve to say you got a helping hand to lend
You just want to be on the side that's winnin'

You say I let you down, ya know its not like that
If you're so hurt, why then don't you show it?
You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at
You have no faith to lose, and ya know it

I know the reason, that you talked behind my back
I used to be among the crowd you're in with
Do you take me for such a fool, to think I'd make contact
With the one who tries to hide what he don't know to begin with?

You see me on the street, you always act surprised
You say "how are you?", "good luck", but ya don't mean it
When you know as well as me, you'd rather see me paralyzed
Why don't you just come out once and scream it

No, I do not feel that good when I see the heartbreaks you embrace
If I was a master thief perhaps I'd rob them
And tho I know you're dissatisfied with your position and your place
Don't you understand, its not my problem?

I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment I could be you
Yes, I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
You'd know what a drag it is to see you

Bob Dylan - Positively 4th Street

Dylan ? A poet ? A great writer ?

Let me laugh , just a protest'singer ...

Yes, but only for american'expression ........ as usual, like if american language was THE world'language !!!:(
I'm half in sympathy with what you say, Messaline -
I don't think his lyrics, divorced from the songs and read off the page (or screen)
can really be called great 'Literature'.
But he is a great songwriter, and song-performer,
in a tradition that goes back a very long way
(though until electronic recording became possible,
it could never be 'captured', it flowed on from generation to generation),
and as there isn't a Nobel Prize for doing that,
he may as well have it for 'Literature'.

As to the language - well, yes, I guess there probably are
equally fine, even greater, song-makers in the Balkans,
the Islamic world, India, Africa, indigenous American peoples...

(PS has he been found yet? ;))

Tragic news from Italy this morning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37171953

I don't know of any of our friends here being in that region
(near where the Umbria - Lazio-Marche borders meet),
but of course they could be affected directly or indirectly -
so our loving thoughts go out to them and theirs

i nostri pensieri d'amore escono alla gente di
Amatrice , Accumoli , Arquata e Pescata del Tronto ,
ea tutti colpiti dal terremoto

And now would you believe it,
reports of an equally serious earthquake in Burma/ Myanmar,
though I think it's a long way from Yupar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37172794
Yes Eul, I'm safe. . . :)

50 years ago today - 21st October 1966 - what is probably the worst disaster in Welsh history occured in the small mining village of Aberfan at 9.15am when, after days of heavy rain, more than 40,000 cubic metres of slurry from an unstable spoil heap cascaded down the mountainside and buried the local school buildings.

116 children and 28 adults were killed in the disaster and hundreds of miners were brought in from all over the South Wales valleys region to assist in the recovery operation. Local funeral services were totally overwhelmed and coffins had to be brought in from as far afield as England and Northern Ireland.

As with many tragedies, the timing was a significant factor in the high death toll. Had it occurred a few minutes earlier, the classrooms would have been empty, and a few hours later the children would be back at home.

For many years (in some cases to this day), tensions arose between the familes of those who died and those who survived, placing great strain on the community as a whole.

Ultimately, the blame for the disaster was placed at the feet of the National Coal Board, who were fully aware of the unstable nature of the spoil heap and the ground underneath. Many local residents had been raising concerns about the risk of a catastrophic landslide for years but were ignored and in some cases, legally silenced by the powerful NCB (the primary employer in South Wales at the time, with the threat of dismissal being ever present for those who were prepared to speak out of turn)

The disaster brought messages of support and sympathy from all around the world - something that was relatively unusual in itself in those pre-internet days and to this day, the very mention of Aberfan casts a long and dark shadow over the whole of Wales, particularly the former coal mining valleys in the south.

The subsequent inquiry's conclusions were challenged by the NCB through a variety of means, and it would not be until 1997 that the full details of the legal and political manouvering were finally made public, having been classified under the so-called "Thirty Year Rule" at the time.

The remaining spoil heaps that surrounded the village were eventually removed (despite huge opposition from the government at the time - and with the government funding the removal works by raiding £150,000 (approximately $200,000) from the disaster relief fund - something that is actually illegal under charity law. (the Labour government under Tony Blair finally refunded this money in 2007)

Today, Aberfan stands as a stark reminder of what happens when corporate profits are given a higher priority than public safety, and the shabby politics surrounding the subsequent inquiry lays bare the kind of mindset of the people in charge of these things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberfan_disaster

Aberfan_AerialView_14-00hrs_21-10-66_1.jpg 50674959.jpg Aberfan_Disaster.jpg 2663801.jpg _91968948_mediaitem91968947.jpg

50 years ago today - 21st October 1966 - what is probably the worst disaster in Welsh history occured in the small mining village of Aberfan at 9.15am when, after days of heavy rain, more than 40,000 cubic metres of slurry from an unstable spoil heap cascaded down the mountainside and buried the local school buildings.

116 children and 28 adults were killed in the disaster and hundreds of miners were brought in from all over the South Wales valleys region to assist in the recovery operation. Local funeral services were totally overwhelmed and coffins had to be brought in from as far afield as England and Northern Ireland.

As with many tragedies, the timing was a significant factor in the high death toll. Had it occurred a few minutes earlier, the classrooms would have been empty, and a few hours later the children would be back at home.

For many years (in some cases to this day), tensions arose between the familes of those who died and those who survived, placing great strain on the community as a whole.

Ultimately, the blame for the disaster was placed at the feet of the National Coal Board, who were fully aware of the unstable nature of the spoil heap and the ground underneath. Many local residents had been raising concerns about the risk of a catastrophic landslide for years but were ignored and in some cases, legally silenced by the powerful NCB (the primary employer in South Wales at the time, with the threat of dismissal being ever present for those who were prepared to speak out of turn)

The disaster brought messages of support and sympathy from all around the world - something that was relatively unusual in itself in those pre-internet days and to this day, the very mention of Aberfan casts a long and dark shadow over the whole of Wales, particularly the former coal mining valleys in the south.

The subsequent inquiry's conclusions were challenged by the NCB through a variety of means, and it would not be until 1997 that the full details of the legal and political manouvering were finally made public, having been classified under the so-called "Thirty Year Rule" at the time.

The remaining spoil heaps that surrounded the village were eventually removed (despite huge opposition from the government at the time - and with the government funding the removal works by raiding £150,000 (approximately $200,000) from the disaster relief fund - something that is actually illegal under charity law. (the Labour government under Tony Blair finally refunded this money in 2007)

Today, Aberfan stands as a stark reminder of what happens when corporate profits are given a higher priority than public safety, and the shabby politics surrounding the subsequent inquiry lays bare the kind of mindset of the people in charge of these things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberfan_disaster

View attachment 431874 View attachment 431875 View attachment 431876 View attachment 431877 View attachment 431878
It isn't only profit and corporations. It's bureaucracy and especially organizational behavior. People are (often not so) subtly discouraged from speaking out, and fixing things causes disruption, costs money, and casts a bad light on management--the bigger the fix required, the more it is resisted. Two space shuttles were lost because people ignored systemic problems no one knew how to fix. Chernobyl poisoned a huge area because nothing could go wrong. It is thought that the Sichuan earthquake was triggered by water seeping into the deep rock from a huge man-made reservoir (certainly that happens with fracking waste water in Oklahoma). Rachel Carson supposedly said that techno fixes put us on an ever narrower path where more and more things have to go right and there is less and less room for error.
On December 1, 1958, there was a catastrophic fire in a parochial school in Chicago that killed 92 kids and three nuns. Someone claimed to have set it (the evidence is unclear), but the school was grandfathered under the fire codes and there were numerous problems that would have been expensive to fix.

Back
Top Bottom