Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
Thanks, Darkprincess, for reminding us to this sad event. I remember the Aberfan disaster had become part of the collective memory of the people living at the time, also outside the UK.

Of course I do not 'like' such a tragedy, but I push the button as appreciation for the initiative and the effort to bring the topic here, reminding us to the catastrophe.

the worst disaster in Welsh history ... Today, Aberfan stands as a stark reminder of what happens when corporate profits are given a higher priority than public safety,
Thanks, Darkprincess, for reminding us to this sad event... Of course I do not 'like' such a tragedy, but I push the button as appreciation for the initiative and the effort to bring the topic here, reminding us to the catastrophe.
I agree with Loxuru's sentiment... thank you.

50 years ago today - 21st October 1966 - what is probably the worst disaster in Welsh history occured in the small mining village of Aberfan at 9.15am when, after days of heavy rain, more than 40,000 cubic metres of slurry from an unstable spoil heap cascaded down the mountainside and buried the local school buildings.

116 children and 28 adults were killed in the disaster and hundreds of miners were brought in from all over the South Wales valleys region to assist in the recovery operation. Local funeral services were totally overwhelmed and coffins had to be brought in from as far afield as England and Northern Ireland.

As with many tragedies, the timing was a significant factor in the high death toll. Had it occurred a few minutes earlier, the classrooms would have been empty, and a few hours later the children would be back at home.

For many years (in some cases to this day), tensions arose between the familes of those who died and those who survived, placing great strain on the community as a whole.

Ultimately, the blame for the disaster was placed at the feet of the National Coal Board, who were fully aware of the unstable nature of the spoil heap and the ground underneath. Many local residents had been raising concerns about the risk of a catastrophic landslide for years but were ignored and in some cases, legally silenced by the powerful NCB (the primary employer in South Wales at the time, with the threat of dismissal being ever present for those who were prepared to speak out of turn)

The disaster brought messages of support and sympathy from all around the world - something that was relatively unusual in itself in those pre-internet days and to this day, the very mention of Aberfan casts a long and dark shadow over the whole of Wales, particularly the former coal mining valleys in the south.

The subsequent inquiry's conclusions were challenged by the NCB through a variety of means, and it would not be until 1997 that the full details of the legal and political manouvering were finally made public, having been classified under the so-called "Thirty Year Rule" at the time.

The remaining spoil heaps that surrounded the village were eventually removed (despite huge opposition from the government at the time - and with the government funding the removal works by raiding £150,000 (approximately $200,000) from the disaster relief fund - something that is actually illegal under charity law. (the Labour government under Tony Blair finally refunded this money in 2007)

Today, Aberfan stands as a stark reminder of what happens when corporate profits are given a higher priority than public safety, and the shabby politics surrounding the subsequent inquiry lays bare the kind of mindset of the people in charge of these things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberfan_disaster

View attachment 431874 View attachment 431875 View attachment 431876 View attachment 431877 View attachment 431878

I'd like you to know that I stood silently by myself, for a minute yesterday morning, DP.

I hope that these days, and possibly as a result of this most desperate of tragedies, we'd have more sense and risk awareness than to pile a load of waste on a mountainside, over a spring, and above a village and an junior school. That those who did so in the sixties without considering the clear and inevitable risk went unpunished is an indictment of justice itself.

The problem in general was, that the industry paid little attention to the stability of the spoil tips.
On February 3rd 1961, a similar accident took place in Jupille near Liège, Belgium. After days of heavy rain, a landslide occurred on a spoil tip of a coal fired power station. Several houses were crushed and eleven people (four women and seven children) died.

The problem in general was, that the industry paid little attention to the stability of the spoil tips.
On February 3rd 1961, a similar accident took place in Jupille near Liège, Belgium. After days of heavy rain, a landslide occurred on a spoil tip of a coal fired power station. Several houses were crushed and eleven people (four women and seven children) died.
You make a very good point, though the industry had been warned repeatedly about the issue before the disaster occurred and chose to ignore the warnings, either because they didn't believe that the risk was real or, more likely, that they didn't want to pay the cost of removing the spoil heaps.

Sadly even to this day, corporate greed places the value of money several rungs higher than that of human life and unfortunately, there is no indication that this will change anytime soon. Just look at the number of coal-mining accidents that have occurred in China and Russia in recent times. Here in Wales, the industry is effectively dead, with few, if any deep mine collieries still in operation, but in parts of the developing world and elsewhere, far too many lives are still being lost in this dangerous practice. It is a crying shame that these other nations could not have taken onboard the lessons from the enormous number of tragedies associated with this industry that we in Wales and the rest of the UK have suffered. Then again I guess safety costs money and greedy corporations just won't spend it where it's most needed :(

In the western world, the move towards oil, gas and nuclear power to generate electricity has seen the need for coal decline since the 1980s. This has had mixed blessings for those communities that grew up around the mines - yes, it has made those peoples lives safer but has also devastated local economies. Here in South Wales, the effects of the pit closures in the 80's almost totally destroyed the local economy, and even to this day, we no longer see any of the economic prosperity that the UK government keeps on bleating about...

Once cannot talk at length about this subject without mentioning "The Price Of Coal" - an incredibly moving and emotional song that was recorded by the great Welsh singer David Alexander (Who could have been Wales' greatest recording artist had he not been beaten to that position by Tom Jones). The song is a stark reminder of the true cost of coal mining, not just here in Wales but throuout the UK and despite one notable error (The Senghenydd disaster was in 1913 not in 1909 as the song suggests), it remains as the definitive musical memorial to all those who were to die in the pusuit of coal. Though not specifically written as a memorial to the victims of Aberfan themselves, one often sees this work associated with the disaster, particularly on TV and other media. (The local TV news played this over their 50th anniversary report on Friday, for example)

You make a very good point, though the industry had been warned repeatedly about the issue before the disaster occurred and chose to ignore the warnings, either because they didn't believe that the risk was real or, more likely, that they didn't want to pay the cost of removing the spoil heaps.

Sadly even to this day, corporate greed places the value of money several rungs higher than that of human life and unfortunately, there is no indication that this will change anytime soon. Just look at the number of coal-mining accidents that have occurred in China and Russia in recent times. Here in Wales, the industry is effectively dead, with few, if any deep mine collieries still in operation, but in parts of the developing world and elsewhere, far too many lives are still being lost in this dangerous practice. It is a crying shame that these other nations could not have taken onboard the lessons from the enormous number of tragedies associated with this industry that we in Wales and the rest of the UK have suffered. Then again I guess safety costs money and greedy corporations just won't spend it where it's most needed :(

In the western world, the move towards oil, gas and nuclear power to generate electricity has seen the need for coal decline since the 1980s. This has had mixed blessings for those communities that grew up around the mines - yes, it has made those peoples lives safer but has also devastated local economies. Here in South Wales, the effects of the pit closures in the 80's almost totally destroyed the local economy, and even to this day, we no longer see any of the economic prosperity that the UK government keeps on bleating about...

Once cannot talk at length about this subject without mentioning "The Price Of Coal" - an incredibly moving and emotional song that was recorded by the great Welsh singer David Alexander (Who could have been Wales' greatest recording artist had he not been beaten to that position by Tom Jones). The song is a stark reminder of the true cost of coal mining, not just here in Wales but throuout the UK and despite one notable error (The Senghenydd disaster was in 1913 not in 1909 as the song suggests), it remains as the definitive musical memorial to all those who were to die in the pusuit of coal. Though not specifically written as a memorial to the victims of Aberfan themselves, one often sees this work associated with the disaster, particularly on TV and other media. (The local TV news played this over their 50th anniversary report on Friday, for example)

Just a couple of years ago, in West Virginia, there was a gas explosion in the Big Branch mine that killed 36 miners. The mine had a long record of violations. The CEO of the company, one Don Blankenship, is said to have discouraged remediation because it would slow production. There was a warning system established in the mine to alert the staff to "surprise" inspections by the federal authorities so problems could be hidden. Two supervisors pleaded guilty and got jail time. Blankenship himself was finally convicted in New York and got one year--the laws were pretty lax, and he consistently denied the allegations and even claimed that the cracks that fed gas into the tunnels were caused by federal regulations. The majority leader of the Senate, Mitch McConnel of Kentucky, ran his last campaign on the slogan "Coal, guns, freedom". His wife, Elaine Chao, was the Secretary of Labor in the Bush administration, at a time when Blankenship's operation was running full tilt.
There have been a lot of coal bankruptcies in the United States (as a stockholder in the Union Pacific railroad that used to haul a lot of coal, I hope that more coal production goes under and the use of coal declines rapidly to zero). Natural gas is so cheap because of fracking that demand for coal has collapsed. Donald Trump wants to REMOVE all regulation to encourage production. The Koch brothers are funding campaigns to protect their interests in coal and other dirty industries.
The irony is that even if coal comes back, the jobs will not, because mining is automated. Only 36 miners died at Big Branch whereas not too long ago the toll would have been hundreds under the same circumstances. But clean energy is still resisted. Kentucky and West Virginia are reliably Republican because of the decline of the coal industry.
All one can do is point to the facts and remember the names of both the victims and the perpetrators.

Which merely serves to drive home the point that these tragedies are, for the most part, avoidable and that malpractice as a result of profit-seeking is not something that's been consigned to the past :(

As you rightly poimt out, demand for coal is falling year on year (it's not particularly efficient as a fuel in any case) as alternatives become available. Of course fracking is a very dangerous activity too over the long term...

...a smaller tragedy... I guy I met 33 years died this week. He wasn't much older than me... I met him because I had a Porsche 914 and Porsche dealers back then (besides seeing what you had in your bank account) looked down their noses at 914 with a VW engine. Howard had a small shop and fixed whatever was wrong and in the past third of a century he and I became friends. His wife Diane helped in the office with the books and I got to know her as well. I went to his wake tonight and it was packed but when I got to Diane in the receiving line we hugged each other, cried, and talked almost a quarter hour.

I lost a friend... I still can't imagine what she has...

T

Today, 55 years ago (30th October 1961) the Soviet Union ignited the Tsar Bomba, the largest nuclear explosion and the largest man made explosion ever : 50 megatons, or in one blow ten times the power of all explosives used during World War 2 (but only one fourth of the Krakatoa Volcano in 1883). Theoretically, the bomb even could have reached 100 megatons, but the last stage of the ignition was inhibited in order to limit dirty fall-out. Only one has been built.
tb.jpg

(I actually needed something big for my post #1500:cool::cool::cool:):)

Today, 55 years ago (30th October 1961) the Soviet Union ignited the Tsar Bomba, the largest nuclear explosion and the largest man made explosion ever : 50 megatons, or in one blow ten times the power of all explosives used during World War 2 (but only one fourth of the Krakatoa Volcano in 1883). Theoretically, the bomb even could have reached 100 megatons, but the last stage of the ignition was inhibited in order to limit dirty fall-out. Only one has been built.
View attachment 434547

(I actually needed something big for my post #1500:cool::cool::cool:):)
Congratulations on your own important Milestone :)
1.500, congratulations..................................but it was a big boem indeed:p

A few days to go for the big clash.
Meanwhile in Plains, Georgia.
Jimmy Carter has been elected 39th President of the USA, on november 2nd 1976, exactly 40 years ago.
A record of longest surviving president Carter is holding since many years (previous : Herbert Hoover, elected 1928, died 1964). But today, Carter makes a round number : 10 presidential terms, including his own, since his election.

A few days to go for the big clash.
Meanwhile in Plains, Georgia.
Jimmy Carter has been elected 39th President of the USA, on november 2nd 1976, exactly 40 years ago.
A record of longest surviving president Carter is holding since many years (previous : Herbert Hoover, elected 1928, died 1964). But today, Carter makes a round number : 10 presidential terms, including his own, since his election.

At last! :)

An interesting fact about the US Presidency! :)

Thank you soooooooooo much, Loxuru! :beer:

The Chicago Cubs win Baseball's World Series for the 1st time since 1908!!!
Congratulations to the Cubs, but I was rooting for the Indians:( (I was born in Cleveland).
I remember my mom telling me that she used to go to the games back in the day. She would fill out a scorecard on her favorite Indian player, Al Rosen (she had a crush on him). He played third base for the Indians from 1947 to 1956. He was a 4 time All-Star. His nickname was "The Hebrew Hammer". Try getting away with that in today's PC world:p

Back
Top Bottom